• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New U.C. Gundam series announced? Nope, Sunrise trolled us again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-said-to-be-revealed-in-gundam-ace-manga-mag

A new, as yet unnamed series to mark the 30th anniversary of the Gundam robot franchise will be reportedly announced in the April issue of Kadokawa Shoten's Monthly Gundam Ace manga magazine on February 26. The series will feature the RX-78-7 mobile suit — one of the last mecha in the RX-78 line, and a mecha that has appeared in Gundam reference material in the past but not as a main mecha in a series. (The model number of the main mecha of the first Gundam series is RX-78-2.) Veteran designer Hajime Katoki (Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War) designed the new mecha.

The story is set in 0081 of the Universal Calendar, one year after end of the One Year War. While peace and order is being restored to the world, small-scale battles still crop up here and there due to Zeon remnants continuing to offer resistance. A veteran Earth Federation officer assigned to mopping up the remaining Zeon forces, and a young officer executing a top secret operation to revive the Zeons, cross paths on this new battlefield.

I can't wait. I thought we'd never see a new U.C. Gundam series. :D

Do want. Though, I'm disappointed that it'll focus on another gundam. I want another awesome gundam-less series like 08th MS Team. :(

Also, please let it have a much much better writer than Gundam 00. May it have as little fanservice/shit as possible.

Troidal

They better have some 0079 characters (Amuro, Char at least!!!) in there not just for the sake of fan service. And can we pretend Z and ZZ Gundam did not exist? xD

B.K.

Edit: I better remove that. I don't know if it's safe to post pictures of anime magazines or not.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Gundam went from one of my most loved series, to one of my most disliked.

Just end it, damnit. Stop ruining my memories.

B.K.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Gundam went from one of my most loved series, to one of my most disliked.

This is U.C. Gundam though. It'll be better than anything they've done in years.

TreIII

Awesome-sauce...but I agree with the notion of...."Why another Gundam"?

I mean, obviously, there's profit to be had from making more toys and models, but I, too, would like another series more along the lines of 08th MS Team.

Then again...the VERY notion that the main lead is actually NOT another emo-teenager, and is a real man, is enough to hook me.

Stahsky

B.K. said:
This is U.C. Gundam though. It'll be better than anything they've done in years.

Just because it's based off of the awesome oldies doesn't make up for all the shit they've been giving us.

I'll keep an eye out on this, but I've little hope for it.

Apharmd

Snaku said:
Bah, I was hoping for a MSG Unicorn adaptation.

Won't happen. No Zakus in there and Bandai's already making kit sales of that.

Don't care until they go back to the Gundam X era.

Guess you will never care then. Bandai doesn't like to take risks, considering X was a pretty terrible venture for them financially.

Do want. Though, I'm disappointed that it'll focus on another gundam. I want another awesome gundam-less series like 08th MS Team. :(

Also, please let it have a mcuh much better writer than Gundam 00. May it have as little fanservice/shit as possible.

Bandai will never have a Gundam series focus on not Gundams unless it's in OYW, and it concerns Zeon. And are you kidding me, 08th MS Team? The side story they retconned so that we could see Gundams prancing around in the jungle? That featured a Ball reflecting a machinegun round off its glass viewing port window?

As for writing quality...it might be slightly better than 00, but it will never reach previous levels of Gundam. Bandai is no longer willing to take risks, so all we're getting from this is Zeonic handjobs from them. :D

Universe is irrelevant to writing quality. UC Gundam has its fair share of turds, like 08th and 0083.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
ninj4junpei said:

Also, please let it have a mcuh much better writer than Gundam 00. May it have as little fanservice/shit as possible.
Never seen MS Igloo season 1 or season 2?

First one focuses on experimental Zeon weapon platforms while the other explore ESDF trials to combat Mobile Suits.

Apharmd said:
Universe is irrelevant to writing quality. UC Gundam has its fair share of turds, like 08th and 0083.
Your opinion on anything Gundam is null and void.
Apharmd said:
It's true. The biggest claim 08th had to anything is that it had nice animation. The second is the nice use of tactics and strategy in the earlier episodes.

But the saccharine love story is just terrible, and the fighting is the opposite of gritty three-fourths of the time.
Honestly, I haven't watched it in years. :lol I just have a lot of nostalgia for it. I really need to rewatch it.

Apharmd

It's true. The biggest claim 08th had to anything is that it had nice animation. The second is the nice use of tactics and strategy in the earlier episodes.

But the saccharine love story is just terrible, and the fighting is the opposite of gritty three-fourths of the time.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol. No faith in Sunrise whatsoever.

Just because this is UC I don't expect this to magically be good all of a sudden. At the very least I hope this is done by the Wings of Rean/King Gainer sunrise studio

Stahsky

Apharmd said:
Universe is irrelevant to writing quality.

I agree.

UC Gundam has its fair share of turds, like 08th and 0083.

I'm now both confused and itchy. Overall presentation and story telling peaked around this time for the series. You've got some sort of disease, I'm afraid.

Apharmd

Dead said:
lol. No faith in Sunrise whatsoever.

Just because this is UC I don't expect this to magically be good all of a sudden. At the very least I hope this is done by the Wings of Rean/King Gainer sunrise studio

Yeah. Gundam and Sunrise are Bandai's bitches now. They're only pushing this to secure the OYW Zeon/UC market further. :lol

MechaX

Apharmd said:

Uh, more like F91 and 3/4ths of Double Zeta.

That, and 0083 pretty much has the best choreographed fights out of a vast majority of Gundam shows, so that automatically brings it out of turd status.

Apharmd

EvaPlusMinus said:
I agree.

I'm now both confused and itchy. Overall presentation and story telling peaked around this time for the series. You've got some sort of disease, I'm afraid.

Presentation? I agree that 0083 and 08th MS Team both have very pretty animation, that's really it. 0083 had this problem of introducing far too many superweapons, though.

As for storytelling, I highly disagree it peaked during this time. The OYW sidestories never really touched on the newtype concept of the original Gundam except for 0080's minor quip about the "monster" the Alex was designed for. Actually, 0080 did very well for what it sought to achieve. It didn't take too much of a bite and didn't overwhelm itself as a result. 08th MS Team just flubbed it with a terrible love story with a fast and loose storytelling.

0083 did the same. Come on, GP03, Neue Ziel and the love triangle came out of -nowhere-.

Apharmd said:
inigo_montoya.jpg

That word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

S. L.

there are some scan floating around of some characters and the rx78-7

TreIII said:
Awesome-sauce...but I agree with the notion of...."Why another Gundam"?
30th anniversary and to make up for that brain-rape that 00 is.

Snaku said:
Bah, I was hoping for a MSG Unicorn adaptation.
with Bandai now bringing us the Unicorn love there is maybe hope.
I'd totally love a high budget OAV for that :D

also Apharmd is the worst gundam-fan-troll ever
!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FUCKING YES!

ABOUT TIME.

SCREW ALL THE ALTERNATE TIME LINE SERIES THAT CAME AFTER TURN-A, THEY'RE SHIT.

duckroll

I hope people realize that there's no chance in hell this is going to be a TV series. It's almost certainly just an OVA, and probably a short one. I guess there's some excitement to be had over erm.... errr..... a new UC anime that isn't 3D. Maybe. Lol.

Apharmd

duckroll said:
I hope people realize that there's no chance in hell this is going to be a TV series. It's almost certainly just an OVA, and probably a short one. I guess there's some excitement to be had over erm.... errr..... a new UC anime that isn't 3D. Maybe. Lol.

I don't think many realize that it technically hasn't been announced if it was a new TV series or OVA or even a novel.

also Apharmd is the worst gundam-fan-troll ever

Not trolling. I speak truths.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Apharmd said:

Just saw this... how wrong you are!

duckroll said:
Don't destroy our hope. ;_;
duckroll said:
It's been announced that it's a new animation series. It's not a novel. :p

The reason why it's most likely an OVA is because the main character is 32 years old. He's the leader of a Zeon hunting force that got wiped out during the war. That rules out it being a TV series on merits of character development alone.
;_; Fucking Sunrise.

duckroll

Apharmd said:
I don't think many realize that it technically hasn't been announced if it was a new TV series or OVA or even a novel.

The reason why it's most likely an OVA is because the main character is 32 years old. He's the leader of a Zeon hunting force that got wiped out during the war. That rules out it being a TV series on merits of character development alone.

Apharmd

duckroll said:

Oh? My bad.

Just saw this... how wrong you are!

How right I am.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Apharmd said:
Oh? My bad.

How right I am.

>:|

Anyway, props to Deacon_Blues for this:

http://www.gundamnews.net/?p=279

Title: Unknown

Mechanic Design: Katoki Hajime
Character Design: Suzuki Tatsuya

Mobile Suit: Phantom Gundam Unit No.7

EARTH FEDERATION PHANTOM SWEEP TEAM

Hughes Curro: Male. Age 32. A veteran officer who leads the Phantom Sweep special forces unit charged with hunting for Zeon remnants. He has a bitter experience in which his unit was annihilated in the past.

Sherry Allison: Female. Age 24. She was serving as a test pilot but was assigned to the special forces unit as a replacement.

ZEON FORCES INVINCIBLE KNIGHTS

Erik Blanque (Blank): Male. Age 20. A young officer whose family is a distinguished family in the Principality of Zeon. He takes command of the “Invincible Knights” in order to execute a counterattack operation against the Earth Federation Forces.

Story: The time is Universal Century 0081. One year has passed since the war. Although the world was regaining order, small-scale battles continued in various places by the Zeon remnants who still continued to resist. During the situation, a veteran soldier of the Earth Federation Forces is appointed to a cleanup operation of the Zeon remnant forces. Feelings mix on the battlefield as the young Zeon officers advance their secret strategy for the revival of Zeon…

Bebpo

Banned
Should be cool if it's not 3d. I'm sure it will have nice mecha designs :D

It's probably an OAV, hopefully longer than say Stargazer. I really wish they would do a new UC tv series that took place down the line post V. I like the idea of keeping the UC timeline, but not being stuck with OYW-CCA story elements.

duckroll

There is no "Phantom Gundam" goddamn, it's just the RX-78-7, the 7th version of the original Gundam. Also, I think the Zeon unit is called Invisible Knights.

Apharmd

Bebpo said:
Should be cool if it's not 3d. I'm sure it will have nice mecha designs :D

It's probably an OAV, hopefully longer than say Stargazer. I really wish they would do a new UC tv series that took place down the line post V. I like the idea of keeping the UC timeline, but not being stuck with OYW-CCA story elements.

Will never happen.

No animated UC series post CCA has ever commercially succeeded. V is like, the blackest of all of Bandai's black sheeps. Shit, even Gundam X got a G-Fix Figuration toy. V has gotten at best, a random Banpresto statue, but for the most part Bandai has pretended that it doesn't exist.

But hey, at least it's in video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom