• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New U.C. Gundam series announced? Nope, Sunrise trolled us again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoo-hoo!

pleaselettherebeRGM79SPpleaselettherebeRGM79SPpleaselettherebeRGM79SP

It has yet to be MG'ed, so pleaselettherebeRGM79SP.

Troidal

Saw the new Gundam design. Katoki indeed.

But why is this mech so metro looking?
This is the traditional UC universe gundamn it!!!

Wish they did Senko no Hassaway or revive F91... :/

Apharmd

hockeypuck said:
Whoo-hoo!

pleaselettherebeRGM79SPpleaselettherebeRGM79SPpleaselettherebeRGM79SP

It has yet to be MG'ed, so pleaselettherebeRGM79SP.

You know, I got so stoked when HGUC Zaku II FZ was announced. That meant there was only one more suit from 0080 not made in a HGUC 1/144 format.

And then they stopped.

What the fuck does Bandai have against this design?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Apharmd said:
You know, I got so stoked when HGUC Zaku II FZ was announced. That meant there was only one more suit from 0080 not made in a HGUC 1/144 format.

And then they stopped.

What the fuck does Bandai have against this design?

They found out you hated 08th MS Team and 0083.

Apharmd

Kagari said:
They found out you hated 08th MS Team and 0083.

I'm sorry EZ8 is a trash design and that Gouf Custom is a poser compared to the original.

Oh, and Shoji Kawamori can't design Gundams worth shit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Apharmd said:
I'm sorry EZ8 is a trash design and that Gouf Custom is a poser compared to the original.

:(
But RX-79[G] is awesome.

Apharmd said:
I'm sorry I hate everything in those two except designs and animation.
Apharmd said:

08th MS and 0083 must've killed Apharmd's mother.

Gouf Custom > regular Gouf with a fat whip, useless LH manipulators, and a melee weapon made of magic orange goo (not beam).

Apharmd

hockeypuck said:
08th MS and 0083 must've killed Apharmd's mother.

Gouf Custom > regular Gouf with a fat whip, useless LH manipulators, and a melee weapon made of magic orange goo (not beam).

Hey! The fat whip was awesome!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Apharmd said:

So off the cool list for life.

B.K.

For the new U.C. series, I'd kind of like for them to go back and show the beginning of the One Year War. That would be interesting to see.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
while i am glad that theres a new chapter in the uc saga coming out, is there anyone else hoping that it would be crossbone?

Blader5489 said:
Does anyone think there's even the slightest chance they'll revisit Gundam Wing for it's 20th anniversary?

i really hope not. wing was the first gundam series that i grossly disliked. it seems to have a successor in 00, which is why out side the mechs themselves, i cant stand the series

Cloudy said:
I want Gundam SEED 3 :(

if seed were a super show, i think i would like it more. but as it stands, astray or nothing

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Great news. UC is by far my favorite Gundam continuity, and 08th MS is the best Gundam series. Suck it, haters.

Gundam ended for me the moment Yoshiyuki Tomino left the series behind with Turn A Gundam.

If he backs another series, I'll get interested again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Drkirby said:
I want my 14th Gundam fight damn it, give me a G Gundam sequel D:

You and me both, son. G Gundam is amazing, probably my favorite Alternate Universe series.

Hero

Guys, ignore Apharmd. This is the same guy who has defended Gundam 00 regardless of the episode and claims it's better than other Gundam series. I used to think Bebpo had poor taste but Apharmd takes the cake.

Apharmd

Hero said:
Guys, ignore Apharmd. This is the same guy who has defended Gundam 00 regardless of the episode and claims it's better than other Gundam series. I used to think Bebpo had poor taste but Apharmd takes the cake.

This is coming from the dude who can't pay attention to basic shit in the show and wanted everything explained to his face. :lol

EDIT - And nah, I love 00 to death because it tries so hard, but 0079/Zeta still takes the cake for me. That's just how it is.

Apharmd

U K Narayan said:
Gundam ended for me the moment Yoshiyuki Tomino left the series behind with Turn A Gundam.

If he backs another series, I'll get interested again.

He never will. But honestly, I agree; Turn A is honestly the last Gundam that can truly be said as a true pursuit of art as opposed to cashing in.

The rest is just Bandai catering to their markets.

Yes, even 00 falls into this.

gokieks

Blader5489 said:
How dare you!

I dare because Wing is far and away the worst Gundam series I've seen (haven't seen the SD Gundam stuff, and don't plan to), with its mediocre-at-best story and a cast that had maybe 3 characters that I could actually think of as being likeable. Even the mech design wasn't that great with a few notable exceptions (Epyon and OVA Wing Zero Custom - I'm a complete sucker for angel wings no matter how little sense their presence makes).

I would rather watch even SEED Destiny than Wing, and that's saying a damned lot.

Apharmd

gokieks said:
I dare because Wing is far and away the worst Gundam series I've seen (haven't seen the SD Gundam stuff, and don't plan to), with its mediocre-at-best story and a cast that had maybe 3 characters that I could actually think of as being likeable. Even the mech design wasn't that great with a few notable exceptions (Epyon and OVA Wing Zero Custom - I'm a complete sucker for angel wings no matter how little sense their presence makes).

I would rather watch even SEED Destiny than Wing, and that's saying a damned lot.

To be fair, Wing has a lot more effort put in it than SEED Destiny.

SEED Destiny completely reeked of amateur efforts throughout; Four OPs with very minimal use of new scenes, mostly rearranged old scenes that were also rearrangements of old scenes from the first SEED?

Honestly, even if Wing had terrible plot and wonky designs I still appreciate it for its style and atmosphere.

Apharmd said:

It's like he's trying to incite the most hate possible

gokieks said:

ugggghh. Any time there's any show out there that focuses on moral ambiguity you always get that guy who says "bu bu bu bu but none of the characters are LIKEABLE!!! I HATE IT". The whole point was that one side wasn't the good guys and the other side wasn't the bad guys. They just had different points of view.

Apharmd

polyh3dron said:
ugggghh. Any time there's any show out there that focuses on moral ambiguity you always get that guy who says "bu bu bu bu but none of the characters are LIKEABLE!!! I HATE IT". The whole point was that one side wasn't the good guys and the other side wasn't the bad guys. They just had different points of view.

This I agree with, but Wing was kind of heavyhanded with this. Then again, Wing was going for a very romantic feel; I guess I shouldn't fault it for that.

gokieks

polyh3dron said:

Moral ambiguity is not something that's exclusive to Gundam Wing, even within the Gundam franchise itself. And what does that have to do with the most of the characters being either flat and one-dimensional or just plain-out annoying? Certainly not every show with that "feature" has a cast of characters that's as boring, annoying, or in some cases both, as that of Wing.

And yes, tearing up a party invitation, wiping away her tears, and then leaving with the parting words of "I will kill you" is romance at its finest. :D

It was some fine unintentional(?) comedy though!

Apharmd

gokieks said:
Moral ambiguity is not something that's exclusive to Gundam Wing, even within the Gundam franchise itself. And what does that have to do with the most of the characters being either flat and one-dimensional or just plain-out annoying? Certainly not every show with that "feature" has a cast of characters that's as boring, annoying, or in some cases both, as that of Wing.

And yes, tearing up a party invitation, wiping away her tears, and then leaving with the parting words of "I will kill you" is romance at its finest. :D

It was some fine unintentional(?) comedy though!

Nah, I didn't mean romance as in LOVE LOVE, i meant romance as in rustic idealism. Like...basically, how Wing's atmosphere is like a fairy tale. European aristocracy and all that stuff.

gokieks

Apharmd said:
Nah, I didn't mean romance as in LOVE LOVE, i meant romance as in rustic idealism. Like...basically, how Wing's atmosphere is like a fairy tale. European aristocracy and all that stuff.

Heh, I know what you meant, it's just that scene is one of the first things that comes to mind when I think of the series, and so couldn't resist making a dig at it.

Honestly, Wing had promise. I even enjoyed it somewhat the first time I watched it (when I was younger and more naive, the cynic in me would say), but when I went back and rewatched the whole thing last year, I found it just about insufferable.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hero said:

Haha. It's true, 00 is crap.

Hero

Gundam Wing gave us Deathscythe so I can excuse a lot of its miserable points. So far 00 has yet to offer a cool design. Mr. Bushido's (lol why's he in the plot again?) comes close though.

This is coming from the dude who can't pay attention to basic shit in the show and wanted everything explained to his face.

EDIT - And nah, I love 00 to death because it tries so hard, but 0079/Zeta still takes the cake for me. That's just how it is.

I like how you recycle this argument against me because I didn't bother reading a Gundam 00 side story manga that explained shit that happens offscreen between the seasons. But then again you're the one who defends Gundam 00 by saying we should be grateful because it's better than what Sunrise could've given us as another milking in the Gundam universe.

Does it pain you to have to continue subbing the series? :p

goku1693

University California Gundam? Ha now wouldn't that be a sick ass university to go to!!! Oh and to the Wing haters, Wing was freakin awesome!! Way better than 90% of the other series they crapped out.

Apharmd

gokieks said:
Heh, I know what you meant, it's just that scene is one of the first things that comes to mind when I think of the series, and so couldn't resist making a dig at it.

Honestly, Wing had promise. I even enjoyed it somewhat the first time I watched it (when I was younger and more naive, the cynic in me would say), but when I went back and rewatched the whole thing last year, I found it just about insufferable.

Ah. My bad. And yeah, it's great for teenagers and in general, people who have a very...strong sense of disbelief, I guess.

Hero said:
Gundam Wing gave us Deathscythe so I can excuse a lot of its miserable points. So far 00 has yet to offer a cool design. Mr. Bushido's (lol why's he in the plot again?) comes close though.

The Aheads and GNXs grew on me. I definitely did a double take when I first saw the S2 designs, but once I saw them in action with their practical improvements/design evolutions of S1 concepts, I grew to accept them.

Hero said:
I like how you recycle this argument against me because I didn't bother reading a Gundam 00 side story manga that explained shit that happens offscreen between the seasons. But then again you're the one who defends Gundam 00 by saying we should be grateful because it's better than what Sunrise could've given us as another milking in the Gundam universe.

No, I recycle this argument because every time I take a glance at the 00 thread, you continuously spout out shit that proves you don't pay attention to the show or know what you're talking about. :D

EDIT - And yes, 00 is a milking from the Gundam universe. That is undeniable. My point from the 00 topic is that the creative staff is putting EFFORT into this "milking", which is admirable. SEED/Destiny put nearly zero, if any, and still succeeded very well.

Let me pick a random critique you put out against Gundam 00...maybe page 44 from the topic.

Hero said:
That's the thing. It's not like A-laws even really cared about the Momento Mori. It served its purpose and they didn't give a fuck.

And 0-Raiser's "lol-beam-cannon-saber" is coming close to be as eye-rolling worthy as Freedom's aimbot shit. It's such a plague of the AC series that the Gundam pilots rely so much more on the brute power of the suits rather than their own abilities as a pilot.

First, 00 Raiser's huge beam saber is a tactical weapon that actually is limited for 00. When using it, Setsuna and Saji diverts nearly all the high energy compressed GN particles generated from Trans-Am into the beam saber. That also translates into a bit of mass, and 00 has a hard time moving the beam saber around...or better yet, moving itself around, meaning it's a sitting duck while performing the move.

It's honestly a lot better than 00 just going Trans-Am and indiscriminately kicking Ali's ass. In fact, that's a weakness of the show; 00's science and technology within its own universe is so consistent, Trans-Am Raiser is actually driving the writers into a corner when scripting battles for it. They're not willing to compromise on making a bit of inconsistency just to tone down the Trans-Am Raiser, so they've been trying to keep it out of the plot for awhile now.

Now, AC series on pilots relying on the brute force of their suits...that's how 00 S1 and S2 are both written. The meisters in S1 weren't destroying aces even while riding units that are DECADES above in technology because those aces had enough skill/recklessness/plain dumb luck to stay alive. Once Patrick got a GNX, he actually did quite a bit of damage to the Gundams. Unfortunately, marketing pressure called for 00 Raiser.

In any case, if you thought UC was clean from this, you clearly did not notice Amuro's first sorties where he relied on the Gundam's power because he was very new. He had good piloting instincts, but he was still a civilian at that time. And what about Zeta Gundam, when it glowed pink and summoned gigantic beam sabers and deflected beams with the power of DEAD SOULS? I love me some Zeta, but Tomino clearly just forsook logic there for his art direction. (Biosensor explanation didn't come until a retcon later.)

And how about Double Zeta, eh? Judau was a scrubby pilot that basically allowed the Double Zeta to take care of the mess he makes. It's so insanely powerful it's ridiculous.

And if F91 didn't shed the outer layers of its armor to attempt to release heat, Seabook wouldn't have won against the Rafflesia.

Heck, if Shiro didn't have a thickass armor plating on EZ8's chest and writers who cared, that magellan tank round in episode 9 would've crushed his cockpit.

Kagari said:

:lol

hteng

Banned
bah, was hoping they'll make an anime adaptation of Gundam Sentinel, this is the only mature/complex story i've seen so far, no angsty teens, no super gundams, no new types (pseudo NTs though), complex machines, big battles..etc

Apharmd said:
Now, AC series on pilots relying on the brute force of their suits...that's how 00 S1 and S2 are both written. The meisters in S1 weren't destroying aces even while riding units that are DECADES above in technology because those aces had enough skill/recklessness/plain dumb luck to stay alive. Once Patrick got a GNX, he actually did quite a bit of damage to the Gundams. Unfortunately, marketing pressure called for 00 Raiser.

In any case, if you thought UC was clean from this, you clearly did not notice Amuro's first sorties where he relied on the Gundam's power because he was very new. He had good piloting instincts, but he was still a civilian at that time. And what about Zeta Gundam, when it glowed pink and summoned gigantic beam sabers and deflected beams with the power of DEAD SOULS? I love me some Zeta, but Tomino clearly just forsook logic there for his art direction. (Biosensor explanation didn't come until a retcon later.)

And how about Double Zeta, eh? Judau was a scrubby pilot that basically allowed the Double Zeta to take care of the mess he makes. It's so insanely powerful it's ridiculous.

And if F91 didn't shed the outer layers of its armor to attempt to release heat, Seabook wouldn't have won against the Rafflesia.

Heck, if Shiro didn't have a thickass armor plating on EZ8's chest and writers who cared, that magellan tank round in episode 9 would've crushed his cockpit.
By brute power I think of weapons of mass destruction, which is more prevalent in AC series. UC series has less of that, and usually UC MS WMDs are explicitly explained with liabilities; e.g., Hyaku Shiki's mega bazooka launcher is retconned into requiring the Methuss as a battery, even the ZZ's high mega cannon incapacitates the suit after a single use. The Sazabi uses its mega particle gun once or twice in the entire movie. Most of GP03 Orchis' impressive firepower came from its ballistic arsenal, not its beam weapon.

I think this goes hand-in-hand with AC series also having more screen time of "cannon fodder." Way more suits are destroyed in a typical AC episode compared to a UC one. Look at the direction Igloo has taken. First episodes were focused on Zeon making WMDs. That Ze'Gok with its scattering beam weapon taking out an entire fleet was bullshit. Now Igloo focuses on a smaller scale. The second EFF episode was dedicated to taking out three Zakus.

Now, there are some parts of UC weaponry that suck, too IMO. I hate funnels and bits, especially because they're so small. They cheapen the kills. I would rather have Wing Gundam's original buster rifle with its 3-shot limit in this universe than flying magical bits.

hteng said:
bah, was hoping they'll make an anime adaptation of Gundam Sentinel, this is the only mature/complex story i've seen so far, no angsty teens, no super gundams, no new types (pseudo NTs though), complex machines, big battles..etc
Sentinel is my favorite series, as well, although the incom system, Deep Striker, and Hummingbird are kinda pushing it (albeit cool-looking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom