• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New World of Final Fantasy gameplay + details

DedValve

Banned
Fast forwarding as an option in battles is great, but honestly they should be designed so it isn't necessary. Same for auto battle. If you can get through battles with auto battle then they're too braindead. Oh well, I'm sure this game is gonna be fun anyway.

I agree. Was thinking this as I read it. Still looks interesting, ill wait for reviews, could be fun.

Fast forwarding as an option in battles is great, but honestly they should be designed so it isn't necessary. Same for auto battle. If you can get through battles with auto battle then they're too braindead. Oh well, I'm sure this game is gonna be fun anyway.

I agree.

Ravage

PlayStation Access just sold me on this. I was expecting a simple fan service game but it looks to be much better than that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Balamb Garden remains one of the weirdest modes of transportation in the series.

This school can fly!

Thoraxes

While I totally agree from a design standpoint, there are a lot of people out there who like to see all the animations play out. I had a friend who played Bravely Default at normal speed the whole way through and I thought he was insane.

Dark_castle

Not necessarily. Some people like to watch the character animations, so having regular speed is good for that purposes, and then player can skip them by fast forward in the future. Auto battle is for grinding purposes. Bravely Default's combat is far from what can be described as braindead, but it had auto-battle, and helps in the grinding aspect.

Now criticizing the existence of grinding in the first place is a whole other topic altogether.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
dxQZXYF.gif

Like I said in the other thread, it's basically Pokemon: FFXIV Minions Edition. WAAAAAANT.

jett

D-Member

This is where I'm at. A fast-forward button seems to be a band-aid to a problem that they don't want to bother fixing. Combat still looks slow as molasses.

Sjefen

This game will be so good, so excited to play it. Will probably spend hundreds of hours grinding those "monsters"

Begaria

I like the artstyle but the animation in battles looks really boring. Slash at you from 10 feet away!

It's a nostalgic game borrowing heavily from classic Final Fantasy games. This is a staple of the old school turn based RPGs. I love it.

This is where I'm at. A fast-forward button seems to be a band-aid to a problem that they don't want to bother fixing. Combat still looks slow as molasses.

It's a bandaid on a problem that the entire genre suffers from. There's been a few games that've tried alternate approaches, like Chrono Cross making regular combat largely unimportant in character advancement, but by and large, JRPGs still operate on the assumption that you should be fighting monsters of no great import (and usually, zero story-relevance) every X seconds/minutes.

Until we move past the silly concept that RPGs in general *must* be about mechanical character progression and that the best method of progression is fighting a lot, we're going to keep seeing these sorts of "quick fix" solutions.

Aters

Uh. Can't see I enjoy the battle unless they add fast forward. Seriously, every turn based game should add fast forward.

Exentryk

It's good that fast forward is a feature, but I also hope there is a way to turn off random encounters. They basically should just copy most of the QoL aspects from Bravely Default.

Top Bottom