• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yakuza in the works, series general director confirms

Shin-Ra

Yakuza0mrlibido.gif

They really should be hitting a stable 1080p30 on base PS4 though.

Spaghetti

Surprised Nagoshi is still involved with the series. He indicated a few months go (in a small blurb in a Famitsu feature, I think?) that he was looking to move on. Maybe there's going to be a passing of the torch at some point, but it'd be disappointing if he couldn't spread his wings a bit.

Floody

Be weird without Kiryu and co, but I think they should go with a new cast, maybe just 2 new protagonist with a interwoven story or something. Currently playing through 5 and like 4 there's just too many leads imo and they all kinda take away from each other and make it harder for me to get invested in their story, as when it gets good it's put on the backburner and not really touched on much for 10-50 hours (depending on the character), completely fucks the pacing too (though even 0 had pretty bad pacing til about chapter 8).

I wonder if this potentially would be Switch exclusive since Nagoshi showed up at that Nintendo conference back in January. I'll be there say 1 either way since I always enjoyed the series.

It'll maybe have a Switch version (I doubt it, but possible), no way it doesn't come out on PS4 though, it's pretty much a PlayStation franchise at this point.

Harmen

I'd love a Yakuza game set in the early 20th century or one a couple of decades prior to the series we have thus far.

Also, a Yakuza 2 remake would be epic, one of the best ps2 games in my opinion.

Morue

I kinda wish it is a new samurai game so that I can get it as soon as it is released (since it probably won't be localized like Kenzan and Ishin) but a remake of 2 would be dope.

If it's 7 without Kiryu, gimme Majima or Akiyama...

TreIII

I'm glad to hear that the series is going to look healthy.

But at the same time, there's a part of my that wishes syn-Sophia (aka AKI) would be able to do another Kurohyou game. That AKI engine needs to live on!

The Yakuza series has come such a long way, man. I remember back in 2008 when a friend told me to try out the demo to Yakuza 3, a series that was obscure back then even upon release. Now with Yakuza 0, it's selling bucket loads. I'm looking forward to this new Yakuza game, here's hoping it goes back to samurais!

If this isn't Kiwami 2 and is instead Yakuza 7. I'd like to see them change the formula up a bit. Nothing crazy, but playing Yakuza 0 i'd like to see it being a little less stiff. More openness to the moves and upgrades off the top of my head.
Haven't played Yakuza 6 myself, but from my understanding that game pretty much did that. I know they were advertising the new fighting system and the smoothness of it, so at least they are aware of that problem.

I just gonna throw a crazy idea here: Yakuza 7 with a west setting. Tojo clan goes to America!
They've actually talked about that. I remember them saying that they have considered that idea, but since they are making these for an adult Japanese audience, they always decide to stay within Japan.

They've actually talked about that. I remember them saying that they have considered that idea, but since they are making these for an adult Japanese audience, they always decide to stay within Japan.

There was a Takeshi Kitano movie along these lines once, wasn't there? Japanese yakuza moves to the States, takes on a bunch of locals as his gang?

brawly

A 1900-1950 setting would be sweet.

I wonder if this potentially would be Switch exclusive since Nagoshi showed up at that Nintendo conference back in January. I'll be there say 1 either way since I always enjoyed the series.

They learned their lesson with the Yakuza 1&2 HD Collection on the Wii U.

There was a Takeshi Kitano movie along these lines once, wasn't there? Japanese yakuza moves to the States, takes on a bunch of locals as his gang?
Weirdly enough
(since I love Sleeping Dogs and Yakuza series)
I haven't really seen any movie with yakuza themes, so I don't know.

is there any chance sony can fund sega for this shit so that these games could not only come here faster but also have a higher budget

lupinko

I liked what I played from the demo but Part 6 hit the used bin so fast here and the price plummeted for used copies for sale.

That's great for me and all but I don't know what that says for the game with its Japanese fan base.

LPG

Neo Member
Be it Kiwami 2 or Yakuza 7, I just hope it gets localized.

I'd love for Kenzan and Ishin to get localized too, but that's just wishful thinking.

I think it could make sense if they want to reach new west audience. I love the way Yakuza is, though

Damn, yeah, if you like those games, you're really missing out on this movie genre!
Yeah, I should probably change that.

So, if you guys are into these things then let me ask, any good Yakuza movies? I'm not into old movies that much so anything from 2000 and onwards would be preferred.

Coda

Playing through Yakuza 6 was a blast, it was the first Japanese text heavy game I've ever fully played and Platinumed. It was worth the effort. Can't wait to see where they go next with the series.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
My inner fanfic persona hopes that the next Yakuza going to feature a new youth on his part to becoming a new legend in his quest to unify the Yakuza across East and West. Omi and Tojo. You can even throw in all the beloved characters as nice cameo or characters that feature strongly into the story. But playing Y0 ... I'm just so into the whole birth of legends storylines. Especially going from Y5(my first Yakuza) to 0 was such an interesting experience.

I'll definitely be importing day 1, I've enjoyed the series since the original PS2 release back in the day and loved Yakuza 6 - which had its fair share of issues since it moved to a new engine. I can't wait to see how the engine is refined with the next game - while 6 had a decent amount of content I know people were disappointed at several of the omissions (such as gambling, the fighting arena, bowling) so hopefully those are all brought back.

As far as protagonist goes, I'd be interested in either a brand new character or Akiyama being the main focus (Akiyama didn't get enough focus in 5, but I loved the way his story progressed). If they went with a new character I wonder if he'd be initially based in Kamuracho, or if they'd be based in another city entirely and then travel to Tokyo in the second half of the game?
Also, I'd love for Seijima to be playable again - as one of the only people who seem to like the guy, I really liked his personality and fighting style. They just need to not have him in prison again!

I'd expect it to be Kiwami 2

Truly new or is Yakuza 2 getting the Kiwami treatment next?

Here's hoping it's Kiwami 2. It would be nice to get a remake of what is probably the strongest Yakuza game story.

I will miss Kazuma a lot, but it's good that they're finally moving on with another character.

Also, Kiwami 2, Sega, please!

Kiwami 2 pleaaase

But without Kiryu would I even want to play it? :,(

EDIT: Oh I forgot, yes down for Kiwami 2 with best rival in the series.

I'd be down for:

- Yakuza 2 Kiwami

Just reading between the lines and Nagoshi saying the early development of the next title sounds like it won't be Yakuza 2 Kiwami but Yakuza 7 without kiryu. Unless Kiwami 2 comes out in the old engine... I could be wrong. Yakuza 2 Kiwami wouldn't take as long as the next mainline entry.

However, I would love a Yakuza 2 Kiwami.

I'd really like a Yakuza 2 remake though.

Part of me wants kiwami 2,

Arms wide open for anything new from the series.

In terms of remakes, Kiwami 2

Either Yakuza Kiwami 2 or

Be it Kiwami 2

Yakuza 2 in the improved dragon engine would be awesome. Y6 was them getting their feet wet in new hardware, now we can expand further on the combat.

Kiwami 2 build on next-gen engine? Oh my...
yo. if they do do kiwami 2...what are the chances of that, and using the yakuza 6 engine?!

Set it in Hawaii for a couple reasons:

1. There is an actual Yakuza presence on Oahu.
2. There's a significant Japanese influence there and is white it's America, it's not as threatening to the average Japanese person as the mainland.

Tbh I thought the Yakuza team was gonna take a break from the series and make another IP after Yakuza 6 like they did last gen but looks like they are going directly into a new Yakuza arch.

Oh and I'd buy Kiwami 2, Yakuza 2 is the only Yakuza game I'm missing now.

Top Bottom