• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Year's Resolution: "No"; Purchasing Games for 2012

schwall20

Banned
I love this idea. I was thinking of doing something similar, i. Ithe same boat as you. So many downloaded games i never finished. Plus after seeing all the sale blowouts is yrs end, ive gotten everything on steam i wanted to play anyway for a fraction of the price. Sure its not bleeding edge, but who cares, im not into multiplayer games anyway, so its not like im missing out onlearning the maps.

I stockpiled so many games i need to play and finish. The only exception ill make is if i see a really great sale price. Ill grab e game then, since idk if itll go back on sale.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeahhhh no.

I made the mistake this year of buying all the big games on their release date, and while I've "played" them all, I haven't really been able to dig into them as much as I would like. My resolution is to only buy/play one game at a time so I can really squeeze as much entertainment out of it as I can.

Emily Chu

Banned
I'm not seeing anything on the horizon for 2012

it's BF3 and Skyrim for me 1080p Ultra Max 4x AA 16AF @ 60 FPS on PC for the long haul.

I plan on not buying a single game or game related anything next year.

Maxim726X

So I have always been one to build up huge backlogs (compulsive collector/shopper with a good amount of disposable income, a very understanding wife, and not a lot of free time will do that).

In the past I could always sell my collection of games and wipe the slate (and my conscious) clean, however with digital distribution (Steam, Xbox Games on Demand & Live Arcade, PSN, etc.) this has become a lot more difficult.

Hold on to your seats but I have nearly 200 games that I own digitally but have not played. I decided that this stops now! I will not buy a new game until either I finish 40 games off that list or the years ends.

Anybody in on this with me?

PS - I am debating a possible Bioshock Infinite exception. Would this exception undermind my whole resolution?

I'm in. I have more games then I'll ever play, so maybe this is the best time.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not seeing anything on the horizon for 2012

it's BF3 and Skyrim for me 1080p Ultra Max 4x AA 16AF @ 60 FPS on PC for the long haul.

I plan on not buying a single game or game related anything next year.

Mass Effect 3?
BioShock Infinite?
The Last of Us?
Assassin's Creed 3?
Diablo 3?
StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm?

I think people are underestimating 2012.

The_Monk

If you force yourself to play a game you don't want or care you will only get more frustrated with that. I see that you want to finish your games in order to clean your backlog but big part of those you might not even have an interest, you just got them because you can. Force yourself and you get tired of playing games because you may not be playing something you like.

Don't play games or, those 40 you want as a chore. Enjoy them, take your time, don't rush, don't make it homework. It's a hobby to keep you entertained, remember that.

If you are making one exception you will make many more, believe me. You will be eaten by hype, see other people playing this brand new fresk game while you have a bin with 200 games to play, 40 that you must according to you.

I plan on mostly getting games that came out this year that will be super cheap next year. Games like:
Dead island
Deus Ex
HD Collections
Shadow of the Damned
Alice

And any others I may have missed. I've gotten much smarter about getting games until I start completing the ones I have.

Gameboy415

I'm not really doing it as a New Years' Resolution, but I'm trying to limit myself to buying 1 new game for every 2 games I complete.

By "new game" I mean an actual new release. So if I want to buy Resident Evil: Revelations the day it comes out, I'm going to try to finish 2 games I already own beforehand.

I'm still going to pick up any clearance/retro stuff I come across that I really want, but I'm sick of buying new releases at a slight discount near release (only $5-10 off) and then getting around to playing them when they can be bought for 50% off or more.

So I have always been one to build up huge backlogs (compulsive collector/shopper with a good amount of disposable income, a very understanding wife, and not a lot of free time will do that).

In the past I could always sell my collection of games and wipe the slate (and my conscious) clean, however with digital distribution (Steam, Xbox Games on Demand & Live Arcade, PSN, etc.) this has become a lot more difficult.

Hold on to your seats but I have nearly 200 games that I own digitally but have not played. I decided that this stops now! I will not buy a new game until either I finish 40 games off that list or the years ends.

PS - I am debating a possible Bioshock Infinite exception. Would this exception undermind my whole resolution?

you have already failed

Raw64life

My backlog consists entirely of Steam games that I may or may not ever play so I don't give them a whole lot of consideration when it comes to passing on a new game to play it. However, after seeing all these ridiculous deals this year I am going to make an effort to not pay full price for new games when they can be had for half price mere months later. I should make a collage of all the Amazon/Steam deals and make it my wallpaper to deter me from ever paying full price for games.

Tobor

Mass Effect 3?
BioShock Infinite?
The Last of Us?
Assassin's Creed 3?
Diablo 3?
StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm?

I think people are underestimating 2012.

Coming off last year, 2012 looks weak sauce. It's a good thing I have a backlog.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
None of those games appeal to me except for ME3, which I'll play in 2013 and spend $10 on.

You are a stronger man than I.

Tobor said:
Coming off last year, 2012 looks weak sauce. It's a good thing I have a backlog.

I agree that 2012 is weaker than 2011, which was a godly year for games. What I'm saying is that this is blinding people to the fact that there are some truly stellar games coming out next year.

deduce

Mine is similar, but not so extreme. Based off my current collections for Wii, PS3, 360, and PC, I've bought about 65 games per year for the past 5ish years. This year, I'm aiming for 12 (1 a month) or less if I can. I'm going to play what I already own in ernest.

However, stupid deals are exempt. I'm not going to pass up a 5$ Rayman Origins "just because"!
I tried that approach for this year, but it was the stupid deals from Steam that made me give up within 4 months.

I bought a shitload of games this year at launch. I spend a fortune on those games, and some are still shrinkwrapped. :/

For the first time ever, I'm gonna sit down and play those games before I buy any other game in 2012.

Iknos

How about something more realistic like one game each quarter?

I know people in your position and I don't see the point. Never had more than 5-6 genesis games myself when I was younger and I milked them for all their worth. Rented a lot of games though.

Im sure there are a lot of great games but when you force yourself to rent you only get games when you got time to play them. I really want to check out uncharted 3 but haven't rented it yet since I have to find some free time.

Seems like you are buying and hoping you'll have free time later.

Btw - an easy trick to solve the problem with a growing Steam backlog - buy the games as gifts, and let them stay in your inventory until you plan to play them. Then you at least have the possibility to trade or gift them if you change your mind.

You'd probably have more fun just playing whatever you want, instead of feeling obligated to play games you already own but didn't care enough about to play in the first place.

Lol, I was in the same position as well actually a couple of months back. I had about 200 games I haven't even touched and I said that I'd beat about 3 games and buy one. It worked quite well and especially since I bought either games that you really cannot beat(fighting games) or games I knew I'd beat within a day easily.

But yeah, I still have my backlog of course, because I only did that from like august till now. I'm in though, I'll give this a shot, it usually doesn't harm me thinking I'm missing out on games so I'll see how it goes.(Though there's a couple of fighting games I really want)

Ra1den

Dude, just always play what is most appealing to you at that time. If something comes out that you want to play more than anything else, you should play it, otherwise you will find yourself just trying to "get through" your backlog, which is not the best way to enjoy gaming.

But you would do well to make a rule that says you wont buy anything unless you are going to play it right away.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Your problem is that you buy things for no real reason. Your resolution needs to be wider.

"I will never again buy something I cannot make use of"

if you're paying sticker, you're a lunatic. if you're like me and buy all your games for single digits, who cares? Having so many games to choose from at once means I can always find something I like, and that surplus more than makes up for the games I don't play.

Plus there's a number of games where I will lose interest after an hour or two (i'm looking at you hitman series), but I don't feel any pressure to play a game that I wasn't having fun with, so I count those games as being checked off. If a game is special, I'll find time to play more of it without needing to stress.

This my list for 2012:

Mass Effect 3 (PC)
Guild Wars 2 (PC)
Diablo 3 (PC)
Xenoblade (Wii)
Starcraft 2 expansion (maybe this falls into 2013 instead)

...I'm screwed.

hitmon

I also agree with flyinpiranha. Maybe change your resolution to buying 1 or 2 games next year instead? Good Luck either way.

ElFly

That's crazy.

Just don't buy games until you clear your backlog.

If your backlog is massive, just institute a one-time-per-generation pardon, and declare it empty.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What is so hard about not buying games? I don't get it.

what is the benefit of the game if you are not going to play it?

It's called being a consumer whore.

No offense, OP, but you have a serious buying addiction.

Corto

I remember Meus Renaissance had a very similar thread a while back. I'll just post what I posted in that thread...

the-contest.jpg

Good luck. Keep us updated.

loosus

Banned
I don't understand why ANYBODY buys even ONE game they don't play. WTF is wrong with you people. You sound like mental cases.

since you're obviously not going to follow through on the resolution (few people do, and you're already talking exceptions, appear to compulsively buy, etc..)

a better one would be no buying new games until you've finished the previous one for the year.

Want to buy Bioshock infinite? knock yourself out. Want to buy another game after that? Finish Bioshock first.

I don't understand why ANYBODY buys even ONE game they don't play. WTF is wrong with you people. You sound like mental cases.

Some of us have enough disposable income that dropping a few bucks on a game I *might* want to play later or one that's a steal (say BOGO or B2G1 sales) isn't a huge deal. I have Bayonetta still in shrink wrap for just this reason.

This isn't the OP's situation at ALL though.

1-D_FTW

What is so hard about not buying games? I don't get it.

It's called being a consumer whore.

No offense, OP, but you have a serious buying addiction.

Clearly you're not a CAGer.

Steam has tons of games that get massive sales at 75 percent off or greater. It's easy to buy sub 10 dollars games for that day you want to play it. Last thing you want to do is decide you're in the mood for game X, and buy when it's not on deep discount.

Same with discontinued games for consoles/handhelds. If you follow CAG, games constantly are hitting sub-10 dollars and below. If you know you're going to play them eventually, it's just cheaper to buy them when they're bomba'ed.

You can easily build up a 100+ backlog by spending a couple hundred dollars these days.

Top Bottom