• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yorker: Harvey Weinstein's Accusers Tell Their Stories

DeathyBoy

Banned
Anyone that read Down and Dirty Pictures could not even be remotely surprised that Harvey went after Gwyneth Paltrow, and I get the feeling that the author was told to hold back on some of the stuff that was known at the time since the book was made with Harvey's full cooperation.

This is only going to get worse before it gets better for that son of a bitch.

I knew Harvey cooperated, but it always terrified me that we got THAT book where he came across as a monster, a bully, and a borderline crook, and that was the tame version.

Oh shittttt. Was only a matter of time before some big names dropped.

Edit: Brad Pitt confronted him about it, so he knew as well. Who DIDN'T know?

Clearly not Matt Damon. He's such a nice guy am I right?

I would like to point out that Asia Argento was on that disgraceful Roman Polanski letter.

It doesn't invalidate her testimony here, but it does show the rot in this whole culture

RDreamer

CNN Just dropped this.

Clinton and Obama and any other key Democrats better get out in front of this fast.

It took Hillary Clinton five days to issue this statement about Harvey Weinstein

Still waiting on Republicans to to condemn Trump for the same shit.

Still wondering why Bill O'Reilly is back talking to Hannity on television.

Still wondering why it's fine for Trump to have defended Ailes as he left Fox.

I still don't understand why this is a political scandal. Now more than ever.

It all depends on how it's handled.

Hillary and Obama staying quiet looks bad.

Hillary especially given that she ran on the platform of gender equality coupled with the fact that she took more money from Harvey than anyone else.

I literally cannot fathom the delay in her response.

I don't fucking understand this. He's a garbage piece of shit, regardless of political affiliation. He should have lost his job, which he did. She should have come out sooner to shun him, but still...why the fuck is this political?

It's infuriating.

Because everything is political and her taking so long to respond makes it look like she was in his pocket.

It's doesn't matter if it's accurate, the optics play well enough against her and Hillary only made things worse by not condemning him sooner.

So yes, he's a shit and I doubt she had any inclination that he was a vulgar pervert but it still looks bad regardless.

CoolOff

So Gwyneth and Pitt knew together since she was 22, and didn't speak up about it even after Weinstein wasn't powerful enough to end their careers? Also under the assumption that they never heard or saw anything further inappropriate about him since then?

I get that it takes courage to step forward, but it's incredibly frustrating when it seems the "rumours have circulated for a long time" and just imagining how many women could've been saved from his behaviour if it came to light earlier.

samn

So Gwyneth and Pitt knew together since she was 22, and didn't speak up about it even after Weinstein wasn't powerful enough to end their careers? Also under the assumption that they never heard or saw anything further inappropriate about him since then?

I get that it takes courage to step forward, but it's incredibly frustrating when it seems the "rumours have circulated for a long time" and just imagining how many women could've been saved from his behaviour if it came to light earlier.

No evidence and no one backing them up would have made it hearsay and could have cost them big in court.

RDreamer

Because everything is political and her taking so long to respond makes it look like she was in his pocket.

It's doesn't matter if it's accurate, the optics play well enough against her and Hillary only made things worse by not condemning him sooner.

So yes, he's a shit and I doubt she had any inclination that he was a vulgar pervert but it still looks bad regardless.

The hypocrisy on this is blatantly stupid, though. We're going to yell at Hillary for waiting 5 days to condemn, and yet here's what Trump says about Ailes:

Some of the women that are complaining, I know how much he's helped them. Now all of a sudden, they are saying these horrible things about him; it's very sad because he's a very good person.

ISOM

Hillary and Obama are not up for election so I don't know why the hell it matters whether they address it or not. People won't care about Harvey Weinstein in midterms on 2020 so this is pointless political BS.

jmdajr

Conservatives definitely "painting" the picture that all of Hollywood is ok with "liberals" commiting these actions.

Obviously it's not true, but for this to go on for this long is disturbing and dissapointing.

Last time she spoke against a sexual predator and his supporters, it got him elected.

Let's not oversimplify why she lost that election, shall we?

One of Hillary's biggest problems is that she is rarely proactive and tends to be more reactive, often waiting until she's got a sense of the direction of the wind.

And to be clear, I don't think she knew about his behavior but she should have spoken out sooner.

Tovarisc

Jessica Chastain has also known for long time apparently.

0SE9LTi.png

https://twitter.com/jes_chastain/status/917504541708443650

Comments about Weinstein being like this and abusing women been open secret in Hollywood for looong time when this all started to break initially make more sense every day.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
How about CNN asks why no one cares anymore that the president bragged about being a sexual predator and was accused of sexual assault by something like ten women?

Ah, but that Hillary response time!

The hypocrisy on this is blatantly stupid, though. We're going to yell at Hillary for waiting 5 days to condemn, and yet here's what Trump says about Ailes:

I'm not yelling at anyone. I'm just pointing out the optics suck and she should have spoken up sooner.

I don't personally like HRC despite voting for her in the general but there's no way I think she knew, which is why I don't understand why she waited so long to respond.

lenovox1

Hillary especially given that she ran on the platform of gender equality coupled with the fact that she took more money from Harvey than anyone else.

But Trump actively supporting Ailes has had no effect on him or on public's views on the party. And that was just as widely "known."

So I'm still failing to understand why this is a political issue. This is a women's rights, health, sexual harassment, etc., issue. And Clinton should speak out at that level. But why is that reflective of the party if not even the President's behavior is reflective of the Republican party?

finowns

It looks like this guy was working on this story for quite awhile. I wonder if he got scooped before he could put this out.. kinda unfortunate considering how much work went into this.

Snake

This is insane. You're being manipulated by the idiotic article you posted, authored by the stupidest man in mainstream media today, Chris Cilliza.

Clinton just responded. What more do you want? Must she give back every dollar donated by Weinstein, or burn it in a ritual sacrifice?

The Republican Speaker of the House from 1999-2007 turned out to be a serial child molester. By this standard we should be calling for the Republican Party to immediately repeal every bit of legislation that was passed under his watch. But that's not going to happen. Because it's not about the people who happened to know the individual who did terrible things and knew nothing of his horrible deeds.

Roger Ailes left Fox News because of sexual harassment just like Harvey Weinstein is being accused of. He then immediately joined the campaign of Donald Trump. You're saying that the GOP is going to attack Democrats for associating with Weinstein, but that doesn't even pass the laugh test coming from them.

Boke1879

I'm not yelling at anyone. I'm just pointing out the optics suck and she should have spoken up sooner.

I don't personally like HRC despite voting for her in the general but there's no way I think she knew, which is why I don't understand why she waited so long to respond.

So does Hillary need to shut up or speak out? Why does she need to do anything in this case?

Hell didn't Trump know the guy and take pictures with him? Why didn't he say anything?

But Trump actively supporting Ailes has had no effect on him or on public's views on the party. And that was just as widely "known."

So I'm still failing to understand why this is a political issue. This is a women's rights, health, sexual harassment, etc., issue. And Clinton should speak out at that level. But why is that reflective of the party if not even the President's behavior is reflective of the Republican party?

I personally don't think it should be political but the way the GOP can spin it is that Hillary was slow to respond because she's taken so much money from Harvey.

The argument goes back to the idea that our government is corrupt and influenced by wealth, which is the narrative Trump keeps spinning despite the fact that he is the poster boy for that very type of corruption.

I don't agree with it but from a strategical standpoint I see how it looks bad.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just read the whole thing. Absolutely horrifying. I hope that guy goes to jail, but he probably won't.

...And seriously? You got motherfuckers making this about Hillary?? Jesus christ fuck you

Zimbardo

just heard that tape on CNN. what a bastard ...how many times does someone have to say 'no'?

absolutely pathetic that Hillary Clinton, who is supposedly a champion of women, took this long to come out and condemn this pig.

and where is Obama?

good Lord.

This is insane. You're being manipulated by the idiotic article you posted, authored by the stupidest man in mainstream media today, Chris Cilliza.

Clinton just responded. What more do you want? Must she give back every dollar donated by Weinstein, or burn it in a ritual sacrifice?

The Republican Speaker of the House from 1999-2007 turned out to be a serial child molester. By this standard we should be calling for the Republican Party to immediately repeal every bit of legislation that was passed under his watch. But that's not going to happen. Because it's not about the people who happened to know the individual who did terrible things and knew nothing of his horrible deeds.

Like I've tried to explain before, I'm just going by what the other side is going to do with this information and how they will probably spin it.

I'm personally not being "manipulated" because I don't think Clinton did anything worse than wait too long to condemn him.

jmdajr

How about CNN asks why no one cares anymore that the president bragged about being a sexual predator and was accused of sexual assault by something like ten women?

Ah, but that Hillary response time!

I think it's a mistake to handle this Weinsten issue with a "but Trump!"

Plus, CNN came down hard on Trump with the tape. Feel bad that voters didn't care. :(

Boke1879

I personally don't think it should be political but the way the GOP can spin it is that Hillary was slow to respond because she's taken so much money from Harvey.

The argument goes back to the idea that our government is corrupt and influenced by wealth, which is the narrative Trump keeps spinning despite the fact that he is the poster boy for that very type of corruption.

I don't agree with it but from a strategical standpoint I see how it looks bad.

The GOP does this anyway. What else is new? This is quite frankly a Hollywood problem and a men with lots of power problem.

As far as politics goes. Yes it's optics matter, but it only seems to be an issue when it's about dems or liberals.

The President was on tape describing sexual assault. Had many women come forward and his party did nothing and he got elected.

RDreamer

The optics are a bunch people who support and watch sexual predators/harassers on television every day and voted one into office who also went on record supporting a serial sexual harasser after he left crying foul that Hillary took too long to condemn a sexual harasser.

The optics on this should be fucking awful for conservatives. The country should collectively be asking, "Are you fucking kidding here?" The fact that we somehow think the optics are bad for Hillary is why this country is so utterly fucked. To be fair I'm not saying you're wrong. They probably are bad for Hillary and the democrats, but jesus fucking christ that's insanity. Trump had similar accusations. The propaganda arm for the republican party has accusations hitting some anchor every couple weeks. Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly had to fucking leave, and then O'Reilly is back on Hannity's show once in a while anyway. And on top of that then Trump tweets out his fucking support of Ailes afterwards. And we're supposed to be dumbfounded at a few days late for Hillary?

Fuck all that noise.

finowns

just heard that tape on CNN. what a bastard ...how many times does someone have to say 'no'?

absolutely pathetic that Hillary Clinton, who is supposedly a champion of women, took this long to come out and condemn this pig.

and where is Obama?

good Lord.

What does Obama have to do with this?

tbm24

and where is Obama?

good Lord.
The tape was hard to hear, god damn.

With regards to Clinton, that matters why? Does everyone who Weinstein interacted with need to come out and toss their stone at him for people to be happy? Where was this for the Ailes and friends from Fox? Or a sitting president with what almost a dozen women who came forward accusing his ass of the same shit he admitted to doing that was caught on tape?

Obama can stay relaxing wherever he is. You don’t need Obama to say anything for the Weinstein story to be what it is.

So does Hillary need to shut up or speak out? Why does she need to do anything in this case?

Hell didn't Trump know the guy and take pictures with him? Why didn't he say anything?

Who are you getting upset at?

She was slow to respond, she's responded, case closed. It's not that big of deal but like I keep pointing out, her reluctance to speak out sooner looked bad but now that she has, hopefully the GOP won't try and make it a focal point.

Again, I was just commenting on the article and the optics of her not responding sooner.

Top Bottom