• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi title announced for Wii U! (Looks like Yoshi: Epic Yarn)

Okay?

I get Nintendo were trying something new but they should have experimented on and raped Kirby or some of their other B Tier dudes.

Not Yoshi. That little guy was the Don. They killed him :-(

Yoshi's Island was an experiment to begin with though, remember that.

Kard8p3

Makes me wonder if the positive reception of Kirby's art style has forced good feel to stick with it. That or maybe epic yarn is and official series now that and will feature a different Nintendo character in each one.

ArynCrinn

Banned
So excited for this, can't wait for a new Yoshi. Although I wish they had gone with a scribble/pastel artstyle instead of recycling the yarn effect. Still looks great though.

I don't really have a problem with "Yarn" becoming its own series, really. If the concept screens are supposed to be vindictive of the game's final look, which I'm really hoping it is, then the game is taking more of a unique look than the video might lead us to believe. The screens with the hills and the one with the windows in the back especially look fantastic.

Brera

Banned
Don't quite like the look.

Yoshi's Island was already pretty babby guys.

Fuck no, YI was hardcore man!

It was supposed to look like a baby drew it or something! Babbys were it's theme! It was a prequel.

boo-this-man.gif

Not the gameplay. And I would draw a distinction between "babby" (fast becoming on of my least favorite memes used in GAF discussions) and storybook. The soft pastel aesthetic comes across a bit more namby pamby than the rough hewn and color saturated look of YI imo. Still looks pretty good though. If the thematic variety is there I think the Epic Yarn look will work just fine.

Haunted

Oh, aren't you the MLG master Mr FancyPants. Yoshi's Island was pretty solid, difficulty wise. Hard to 100%, too.

Yoshi's Story and Kirby and Wario Shake It are much easier and make it extremely trivial to just get to the end, but you do need some skills to 100% them.

I'm fairly certain this will fall into the latter category.

TriGen

I don't really have a problem with "Yarn" becoming its own series, really. If the concept screens are supposed to be vindictive of the game's final look, which I'm really hoping it is, then the game is taking more of a unique look than the video might lead us to believe. The screens with the hills and the one with the windows in the back especially look fantastic.

Yeah, the screens look really great. I have been wanting Epic Yarn to become a part of Nintendo's rotation since Kirby, and suspected it would be used on Yoshi since their styles seem to naturally blend. I would of been fine if Epic Yarn's look stayed with Kirby, but if Nintendo wants to try this on different characters I won't complain.

Yeah, I can't help but thing Nintendo has been neglecting the Mario franchise lately. We need at least, like, 10 Mario games on Wii U, all variations on styles we've seen before.

I agree, starting, with a Mario RPG. Haven't seen one of those since Super Paper Mario and the rpg elements in that one are pretty light.

Doorman

As someone who enjoyed Epic Yarn, I'm surprised that they would go back to that sort of art style so quickly, but at the same time I don't mind it. I liked the little "evolution" from the thread-outline Yoshi into the more fully-formed knit one and I think that already starts to hint at something a bit more complex than what we got in Kirby's game. Even so, the grab-and-toss mechanics from Epic Yarn make total sense with Yoshi anyway, and I'm curious to see how they ramp up the level designs for it.

onken

Looks gorgeous but straight up copying the Epic Yarn format says to me they don't want to take any risks or they're running out of ideas. Hopefully it won't be as much as a snorefest as EY was.

I agree, starting, with a Mario RPG. Haven't seen one of those since Super Paper Mario and the rpg elements in that one are pretty light.
I wouldn't mind that, although it'd be better if they took some creative risks with it. Also, isn't Bowser's Inside Story a pretty highly regarded part of the franchise?

I wouldn't mind that, although it'd be better if they took some creative risks with it. Also, isn't Bowser's Inside Story a pretty highly regarded part of the franchise?

Definitely, I love that game, especially Fawful's beeflessneess. I meant a console Mario RPG. The gamepad would be great for inventory management or whatever quirkiness Nintendo can come up with.

Soul_Pie

I like the look a bit, but epic yarn left a sour taste really as did Yoshi's Story and this looks similar to both.

But I would have liked the art style to be based on Yoshi's Island which was so unique, best looking game ever in fact.

Honestly this looks so much better than Yoshi's Island stylistically. I get what the game was going for but in the end it looked like my little cousin drew it.

I see Wii Music and NSMB2.

Hopefully those two outliers are not going to be joined by a third.

:p

Significant contributions or directing for Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Zelda NES, Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Mario Galaxy 2.

It blows my mind.

And that they made his involvement a significant portion of the reveal, well, I have high hopes.

Nemesis_

nsmb2 was pretty rad. it just lacked some effort with regards to presentation.

It's weird, because when NSMB2 came out I was all over it and finished it 100% within the first three days.

Then I played NSMBU, and for some reason it made me realise how boring and by the numbers NSMB2 was :(

Yuterald

Ah, I knew it! I knew Nintendo had Good Feel on this game, lol! Love their games so I'm sure I'm going to love this too. Game looks a bit early still though. Not sure what's going on with some of those pics.

I'm conflicted, this game's style is perfect, problem is KEY exists, if we acknowledge that, it feels rehash-y, if we don't, it's perfection, know what I mean?

Medalion

Banned
FINALLY!

The Epic Yarn look in HD, how it was meant to be seen the first time around... I mean... outside of Little Big PLanet...and from Nintendo :p

Don't get why people are saying it's straight up copying Kirby's art style. How does this

yoshi_yarn2.jpg

look like this?

news_first_10_minutes_of_kirby_s_epic_yarn-10088.jpg

Looks closer to Yoshi's Story to me.

It's weird, because when NSMB2 came out I was all over it and finished it 100% within the first three days.

Then I played NSMBU, and for some reason it made me realise how boring and by the numbers NSMB2 was :(
Interesting. I find NSMB 2's controls and level designs more appealing. I've also gotten an amazing amount of replay with coin rush mode and street pass records. And although it's a little tricky to put my finger on, there's something more natural and unassuming about it. If the visuals weren't so highly derivative and the bosses were less expected it would be pretty up there in my 2D Mario pantheon. Even as is the game strikes me as incredibly solid.

That said, I think NSMB U has a lot of its own strengths, like the more integrated map and ideosyncratic variations on the old level themes. The layering of elements in the backgrounds gives the game visual oomph that the other NSMB games kinda lack. I still haven't seen everything there is to see in it, so who knows, maybe my preference will change. Regardless I think they're both tighter and more fun than their predecessors.

Don't get why people are saying it's straight up copying Kirby's art style. How does this

yoshi_yarn2.jpg

look like this?

news_first_10_minutes_of_kirby_s_epic_yarn-10088.jpg

Looks closer to Yoshi's Story to me.

That first image does look quite different, but the gameplay shown in the Nintendo Direct definitely looks like Kirby's Epic Yarn.

yoshi69ev8.gif

The jewels from Kirby's Epic Yarn are even there. Not shown in this animation is the part in which Yoshi steps on an enemy, and the enemy explodes into yarn scraps much like in Kirby's Epic Yarn.

There seems to be some sort of visual progression here. I'm really interested in how it turns out. I just hope the gameplay isn't so boring.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it would be cool if it were a mish mash of visual styles, a sort of trip through all sorts of nintendo aesthetics. i would love that.

Well, fuck. No gaming announcement will surprass this this year, not even the announcement of new consoles.

Takashi Tezuka (The guy with perhaps the best track record in gaming history?) back on board with a console Yoshi game? Fuck.

Nintendo's not fucking around after the Yoshi's Island DS disaster.

Not to discount Tezuka at all, but he was supervisor on Yoshi's Island DS just like he is here.
Yoshi's Island DS is probably one of the best examples of a game developed with Nintendo sensibility (alright, directly ripping it off) but without the polish. Perhaps he's more involved this time though considering they thought it important enough to mention.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What disaster? I loved that game.
I played it for the first time a few months ago, and it's an offensive aping of the original Yoshi's Island.

That might by hyperbolic, but only a little.

This. game. looks. GLORIOUS.

If nothing else, this Nintendo Direct was just amazing for artstyles alone. This, X, and WWHD (for me, personally -- I get that not everyone likes it), is just too much T_T

I'm literally cruising the vistas.

Top Bottom