• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi title announced for Wii U! (Looks like Yoshi: Epic Yarn)

I have a feeling the game will be much more dynamic than Epic Yarn. From the little they showed it looked a lot more fun. Maybe that's just Yoshi bias though.

irC6wDc7DginS.bmp

I wish the whole game looked like this, it's less like Kirby and more its own.

Unicorn

Well Nintendo. Yo ass just solidified a sale fo' tha Wii U. Fuck whatever next generation will muthafuckin look like. Keep these dunkadelic game comin n' it won't matter. Everythang afta dis is only cherries on top. Pikmin 3 n' Yoshi standalone game be all I needed ta justify a purchase. Now, a F-Zero would certainly be a whole bowl of cherries.

Reclaimer

I wish the whole game looked like this, it's less like Kirby and more its own.

Who knows what the majority of the game I'll look like. Maybe the 2-d to 3-d power up has something to do with this. Hell, maybe it even pops you into a full 3d world ala Mario galaxy sometimes. We just don't know yet.

Good feel has developed wario land shake it and kirby's epic yarn. Both of those have been cake walks.

Good games, but fuck, you are right. Crossing fingers for some challenge here.

Wiz

I hope no one is expecting this game to be difficult. From the vid it looks very lighthearted and basic. Basically a Good Feel game. And there's nothing wrong with that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My first impressions are negative. I hope this isn't as gimmicky and easy as Kirby Epic Yarn. I just want a really good Yoshi's Island sequel. :-|

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The art style makes me want to hug Yoshi to death.

See? This is why people get upset at NSMB art style. LOOK AT THIS. LOOK HOW FANTASTIC IT LOOKS. then look at how by the numbers NSMB looks

Roo

I hope no one is expecting this game to be difficult. From the vid it looks very lighthearted and basic. Basically a Good Feel game. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm just glad we're getting a new Yoshi game
he's really an awesome character that deserves more love from Nintendo
Though I was expecting something more... elaborated from a graphical standpoint
I can't complain. I loved Yoshi's Fruit Cart and that was indeed basic so a full
2D platformer starring Yoshi makes me really happy

I think the stills look gorgeous. I enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn quite a bit, playing it with my son was lots of fun and it's one of his all-time favorite games. The art and level designs were great and collecting enough beads to get gold on some levels was reasonably challenging. I thought it was a nice balance of accessibility and difficulty. Very much looking forward to this game.

Wiz

I'm just glad we're getting a new Yoshi game
he's really an awesome character that deserves more love from Nintendo
Though I was expecting something more... elaborated from a graphical standpoint
I can't complain. I loved Yoshi's Fruit Cart and that was indeed basic so a full
2D platformer makes me happy

Same here man. Yoshi definitely deserves more love. I think this game will be a spiritual sequel to Yoshi's Story if the style is anything to go by.

Def Jukie

I need to see more of this in motion before I have a real opinion on it but at first glance I wish they would have made something more like Yoshi's Island. They already did the Yarn thing so well with Kirby I really would have prefered the kid's coloring book style of Yoshi's Island in HD. Still looks pretty good but please get rid of those gems. It already looks enough like Epic Yarn.

Tookay

I just hope this game isn't super simplistic, like Story or Epic Yarn. I dug both of those games, but they could have been a little more mechanically complex/challenging.

I do wonder if this game would be better suited on a downloadable scale.
yoshifwcpy.gif

Ugh...

Please, can we stop with these comments. The Wonderful 101 thread is littered with them too. This idea that any game that isn't "BROWN,SUPER REALISTIC, BLOODY, FPS/ADVENTURE, HARDCORE BLAH BLAH BLAH" should be a downloadable title is dumb

daninthemix

First thing that potentially makes me want a Wii U.

I had Yoshi's Story back in the day but I can't remember a thing about it. I guess that means it was forgettable? Yoshi's Island was great though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why? Because it's 2D?

No, because Epic Yarn didn't have a lot of content. I mean, Splosion Man and SMB both had far more content than Epic Yarn or Dream Land. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't more of a focus on art style than gameplay content.

No need for everyone to jump all over my shit.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
INDEPENDENT YOSHI'S BACK BABY!

If Epic Yarn is any indication, the music will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD!

Epic Yarn also rocked, and honestly a Yoshi's Epic Yarn always seemed like it was in the cards, so this isn't disappointment for me...no...this is grand!

No, because Epic Yarn didn't have a lot of content. I mean, Splosion Man and SMB both had far more content than Epic Yarn or Dream Land. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't more of a focus on art style than gameplay content.

Epic Yarn was pretty full. You had lots of levels, extra side-quests to do, little cute features like designing a house...maybe not AWESOME, but I didn't feel it skimped on the content.

Falcs

Banned
Damn.. I'm so disappointed.. I was really hoping they wouldn't go with the cutesy cute style from Yoshi's Story but it looks like they have.
I would have loved something with the Yoshi's Island hand drawn/painted kind of style.

Davey Cakes

People say Epic Yarn was boring, but there's nothing wrong with having nice, charming, and relaxing platformers among the more challenging ones. If you went for 100% in Epic Yarn, it was a great time so I have no doubts that this will be similar.

I don't know why there's so much clamor for Yoshi's Island 3. We already got Yoshi's Island DS and it was decent-at-best. Since Nintendo's not going to dedicate a team of EAD Tokyo's caliber to a Yoshi-only title, then let's just enjoy the fact that a new Yoshi game exists at all, especially since it's coming from a more than competent developer in Good Feel.

This comes off as less of a unique Yoshi game and more of the second game in a series of Good Feel "Yarn" games. First was Kirby, next is Yoshi. Maybe if this game is successful, there will be another one down the line. It's not really "Yoshi's Story 2" just because of the similarities. It's more like "Yarn Game 2, starring Yoshi." Only now they've taken the stitching aesthetic further.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Epic Yarn was a great game, especially if you were trying to go for 100% - the collectathon stuff that usually features in the Yoshi series would be a good fit with the type of games Good Feel makes.

Sort of hyped. Epic Yarn was OK... if they have the same guy doing the soundtrack, then that's worth getting excited about. Yarn's music was sublime.

The Boat

No need for everyone to jump all over my shit.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Both Kirby games you mention had a lot of content.

Zero148

Ugh...

Please, can we stop with these comments. The Wonderful 101 thread is littered with them too. This idea that any game that isn't "BROWN,SUPER REALISTIC, BLOODY, FPS/ADVENTURE, HARDCORE BLAH BLAH BLAH" should be a downloadable title is dumb

but in the end both games will be download games...

and retail of course

Roo

Hope they flip the "AA button" before the release.

That's my only concern about this game so far
Not a deal breaker but it wouldn't hurt either

I think there was a leaked NintendoLand pic with tons of jaggies before the Wii U launched that caused a lot of backlash
but then it was solved in time when the system came out so I think there's still a chance to fix it

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I hadn't realized that Yoshi eating that enemy changed him from a yarn outline to a fully opaque knitted model. I was thinkin that egg animation was way too long to just be a normal swallow. I'm guessing that'll be how his health system works? Maybe?

This is obviously still super early though guys. The animation where a killed enemy explodes into yarn is like identical to the Epic Yarn one, and that gif up there even has the exact same little beads that Kirby collected. It's just Yoshi inserted into Epic Yarn at this point. It'll change a lot before it comes out, I'm sure of it.

This looks so beautifully enchanting. I loved the SNES and N64 games and Epic Yarn was wonderful too. Can't wait to play this, and think of the music you'll be hearing! Cheerful! :)

Top Bottom