• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
https://youtu.be/nfpNbfH28pc

Anime News Network:
The film will feature the following returning cast and characters:
  • Shunsuke Kazama as Yūgi Mutō
  • Kenjiro Tsuda as Seto Kaiba
  • Hidehiro Kikuchi as Hiroto Honda (Tristan Taylor)
  • Hiroki Takahashi as Katsuya Jōnōchi (Joey Wheeler)
  • Junko Takeuchi as Mokuba Kaiba
  • Maki Saitou as Anzu Masaki (Téa Gardener)
  • Rica Matsumoto as Ryō Bakura

Additional cast members include:
  • Actor Kento Hayashi in his first voice acting role as Aigami, a mysterious boy who appeared before Yūgi and the others as they went about their usual daily life.
  • Kana Hanazawa as Sera, a mysterious girl who accompanies Hayashi's character Aigami
  • Satoshi Hino as Mani, who travels with Aigami to perform their mission.
  • Kendo Kobayashi as Kudaragi
  • Jungle Pocket as minions of the Kudaragi Group

The film has sold the highest number of pre-sale tickets of any Toei film. Those who see the film during different weeks will receive specific cards, such as the Lemon Magician Girl card, among others.

Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine previously teased the film's story, which takes place six months after the end of the manga:

In the past Yūgi Yami and Kaiba have clashed many times!! Yami Yūgi, who resides in Yūgi Mutō's body, and Kaiba will have a duel that bets their prides and accepts each other's mutual experience.

Yu-Gi-Oh! manga creator Kazuki Takahashi is in charge of the film's script and character designs, and is also serving as chief production supervisor. Satoshi Kuwabara (Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal II) is directing the film. The film will open on April 23 in Japan, and in late 2016 outside of Japan.

pbayne

Ill wait for the dub but it looks pretty sweet. Kaiba vs Yugi is definitely still up there with Goku vs Vegeta as one of the most iconic rivalries for me.

MrBadger

Maybe it's because I'm used to season 1's animation, but I think this looks really good in motion. Spoiler -
Yugi beats Kaiba

You mean literal cheating.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with reading your opponents mind and using bullshit cards that aren't in circulation

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Maybe it's because I'm used to season 1's animation, but I think this looks really good in motion. Spoiler -
Yugi beats Kaiba

Hey, there's nothing wrong with reading your opponents mind and using bullshit cards that aren't in circulation

Nor is there anything wrong with being able to pull out consciously, every time exactly the card you wanted, in a random shuffle card game.

I mean it made sense that it was his millennium puzzle power, considering all his shenanigans but man that ain't right

Galang

Banned
Yes!! I haven't bothered with the other series because I can't manage without the original cast. Are any of the other series worth watching?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yes!! I haven't bothered with the other series because I can't manage without the original cast. Are any of the other series worth watching?

5D's is great, probably the closest in tone and rivalry to the original (recommend the Japanese sub for the superior soundtrack and JACK ATLAS theme), haven't watched Arc V but I've heard good things about it, stay away from Zexal and GX.

Looks pretty neat, I just wonder how interesting the plot will be post-Atem. Will it still feel like a legitimately important followup entry into the story of these characters, or more just a fun side-story?

Sweet!

Speaking of which, does 4Kids still own the rights? I remember back in the day I think it was FUNi that released a couple uncut volumes then just stopped because Toei wasn't happy with the sales or something.

Takao

Banned
Sweet!

Speaking of which, does 4Kids still own the rights? I remember back in the day I think it was FUNi that released a couple uncut volumes then just stopped because Toei wasn't happy with the sales or something.

4Kids filed for bankruptcy and sold off pretty much everything. Konami got the media creation business and renamed the company 4K Media. AFAIK it's pretty much the same people working there as before. Because it's Konami and they're funding 4K solely to push the TCG, I wouldn't hold out hope for an uncut dub to return. The official subtitles they're putting on Crunchyroll are probably the best you'll get.

Yu-Gi-Oh is still big enough in Japan for theatre releases?

[Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions] has sold the highest number of pre-sale tickets of any Toei film.

4Kids filed for bankruptcy and sold off pretty much everything. Konami got the media creation business and renamed the company 4K Media. AFAIK it's pretty much the same people working there as before. Because it's Konami and they're funding 4K solely to push the TCG, I wouldn't hold out hope for an uncut dub to return. The official subtitles they're putting on Crunchyroll are probably the best you'll get.

wat?

I had no idea about this!

I remember that last movie marketing a Kaiba/Yugi fight and it ended up getting cut short or something, they better not bullshit me again

Ri'Orius

Nor is there anything wrong with being able to pull out consciously, every time exactly the card you wanted, in a random shuffle card game.

I mean it made sense that it was his millennium puzzle power, considering all his shenanigans but man that ain't right

When was that outed as the puzzle's power? I mean, I've heard it mentioned that that was a thing, but I don't recall it ever mentioned in the show...

Anyway, in the real world yeah that'd be a super cheaty power, but in the show the card a person draws is always defined by plot rather than actual probability, so it doesn't really bother me. It's not like he used it to always draw all of Exodia as his starting hand. And I'd bet Joey had more RNG luck overall (since his entire deck was full of dice rolls and coin flips that generally worked out in his favor at just the right moment because, again, plot > probability).

When was that outed as the puzzle's power? I mean, I've heard it mentioned that that was a thing, but I don't recall it ever mentioned in the show...

Anyway, in the real world yeah that'd be a super cheaty power, but in the show the card a person draws is always defined by plot rather than actual probability, so it doesn't really bother me. It's not like he used it to always draw all of Exodia as his starting hand. And I'd bet Joey had more RNG luck overall (since his entire deck was full of dice rolls and coin flips that generally worked out in his favor at just the right moment because, again, plot > probability).

the last duel of the series when Atem fought Yugi.

Atem revealed the puzzles true power of controlling fate and drawing any card he wants, he started to literally not even look at the card he drew because he knew what it would be

Balb

How do they handle duels in the movies? Each turn took like 5 minutes in the show because there would be some kind of speech or flashback after each turn.

Fj0823

ARC-V's quality has spoiled me...I don't think I can go back to an invincible MC who wins through hilarious BS.

For that reason.I'm Completely rooting for Kaiba here. Hope he uses Neo Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon and Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon

Balb

ARC-V's quality has spoiled me...I don't think I can go back to an invincible MC who wins through hilarious BS.

For that reason.I'm Completely rooting for Kaiba here. Hope he uses Neo Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon and Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon

It's that good? I've only seen the original series. I saw the first couple of GX episodes and didn't like it. Never tried anything past that.

Fj0823

It's that good? I've only seen the original series. I saw the first couple of GX episodes and didn't like it. Never tried anything past that.

MC gets his ass handed to him hard every now and then (even if he uses OP asspulls), he actually learns from his defeats and his "My friends are my power" motto is proved to be bullshit over and over to the point were he's actually forced to abandon the entire idea and adopt a "play to win" style in order for him and his friends to survive.

Pretty. Damn. Good.

I remember that one episode in season 4 where they literally made a card up to get Yami out of losing a duel.

It's the one where he fights Yugi after letting his soul get taken by the seal. Yami pulls out "divine wind" that's basically magical cylinder but deals 2x damage.

I hope Kaiba wins in this one.

Fj0823

I remember that one episode in season 4 where they literally made a card up to get Yami out of losing a duel.

It's the one where he fights Yugi after letting his soul get taken by the seal. Yami pulls out "divine wind" that's basically magical cylinder but deals 2x damage.

I hope Kaiba wins in this one.

He activated monster reborn in his opponent's turn when facing Arkana. In that very same duel he activated a card from his opponents graveyard...

He also used Change of Heart during Kaibas turn to negate an activation that targeted his monsters

He can fuck right off...

He activated monster reborn in his opponent's turn when facing Arkana. In that very same duel he activated a card from his opponents graveyard...

He also used Change of Heart during Kaibas turn to negate an activation that targeted his monsters

He can fuck right off...

I never kept up with the series' after 5D's. Did they actually start to adhere to the rules of the game they spend their lives playing, or still mis-activating bollocks?

Fj0823

I never kept up with the series' after 5D's. Did they actually start to adhere to the rules of the game they spend their lives playing, or still mis-activating bollocks?

The latest ones keep everything true to the rules. The broken asspull cards are there obviously but there's no spells suddenly turning into traps.

The effects are consistent. Also they finally set their defense position monsters face-down....

The latest ones keep everything true to the rules. The broken asspull cards are there obviously but there's no spells suddenly turning into traps.

The effects are consistent. Also they finally set their defense position monsters face-down....

No way.

Spell and trap speeds mean nothing to Anime Yugioh.

There is hope after all.

Well mostly. They still only use 4000 instead of 8000 LP (though this is understandable given how long an 8000 LP duel, and 4000 allows more cool one turn kill setups that seem impressive in an anime adaptation). I also think there was at least one situation where a character fudged the rules slightly and activated an effect that shouldn't really have been possible (
In the Yuzu vs Tokumatsu duel, Yuzu's final move shouldn't really have been legal, since the second copy of that spell card shouldn't have been in the graveyard until after all the effects resolved, and thus she shouldn't have been able to use the last effect that relied on two identical spell cards in the graveyard

Fj0823

Well mostly. They still only use 4000 instead of 8000 LP (though this is understandable given how long an 8000 LP duel, and 4000 allows more cool one turn kill setups that seem impressive in an anime adaptation). I also think there was at least one situation where a character fudged the rules slightly and activated an effect that shouldn't really have been possible (
In the Yuzu vs Tokumatsu duel, Yuzu's final move shouldn't really have been legal, since the second copy of that spell card shouldn't have been in the graveyard until after all the effects resolved, and thus she shouldn't have been able to use the last effect that relied on two identical spell cards in the graveyard

That's a pretty minor hiccup compared to fusing your monster with spell card and shooting it to your opponent's monster so that it rots from the inside...

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That's because he lost Exodia

Let's not forget the part where, in the middle of Weevil's attack, he not only summoned a monster, but also played a spell card and then launched his own attack.... In the middle of the other guy's attack phase. Season 1 was dumb as hell with that shit.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Let's not forget the part where, in the middle of Weevil's attack, he not only summoned a monster, but also played a spell card and then launched his own attack.... In the middle of the other guy's attack phase. Season 1 was dumb as hell with that shit.

At least in the manga it had the excuse of litterally making up this shit as it wentalong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom