• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii finally released (fan-made mod)

I've gotten the opportunity to play a bit of this tonight. For a fan-made project, the presentation is really good. I don't notice the music too much, but I think it's nice. It's really cool to finally hear more sinister tunes in castle levels.

As far as level design, I actually think it works. Some of those Star Coins are pretty well hidden. One thing that bothers me is the foreground elements, but I suppose it does cleverly hide some things.

I like the idea of shops even though I don't use my items enough. It's just new. The world maps look great with the new landscape models. It just feels newer than New Super Mario Bros. U. I think it could easily pass itself off as a new entry in the series. The first mini-boss wasn't too great, but it was nice actually fighting a new boss for once.

The little touches are nice. There seems to be different checkpoint flags based on the level you're in. The randomly generated Yoshi colors feel slightly fresher than the stock colors.

New Super Mario Bros. U spoiled me, though: the game looks pretty blurry. It honestly never bothered me before, but that was before I played the Wii U iteration.

Finally, the disc slot light seems to blink in sync with the music. It can get a little annoying.

Kokonoe

Banned
Really interested in playing this, but I currently only have monitors and I'd rather not play off my capture card since the quality is quite terrible.

4MTAZFm.png

Saw this, I suppose some kind of patching process for the ISO is required.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Adding to this:
Yo, Classic Controller support.

d-pad or left stick - movement
A - jump
B or ZL - run
X or ZR - spin
L and R - tilt platforms
For some reason, though, only X will pick up blocks. ZR can't be used for that.

Completed world 1. The levels aren't anything to write home about so far, but the aesthetics are nice.

Finally, the disc slot light seems to blink in sync with the music. It can get a little annoying.
I think that's a Riivolution thing, as in it illuminates whenever the patch is actively doing something, but I'm not certain. It's been a while, but I think it did the same thing when I used it for TvC custom soundtracks.

Alienous

I seem to remember a thread where people said that only Nintendo were capable of making Super Mario Bros. levels, and that a NSMB game with fan level generation wouldn't work.

Hmm.

Morthas

Neo Member
The trailer looks very promising. Haven't touched a NSMB game because of I got bored of it looking and playing the same but I see the hard work that was put into this.

So I'll check it out.

Foffy

Banned
Really interested in playing this, but I currently only have monitors and I'd rather not play off my capture card since the quality is quite terrible.

4MTAZFm.png

Saw this, I suppose some kind of patching process for the ISO is required.

Isn't that possible? Is Riivolution the thing that was used to translate Fatal Frame IV?

alf717

Isn't that possible? Is Riivolution the thing that was used to translate Fatal Frame IV?

There seem to be a way to do it. I'm more interested in adding this to CFG loader as a new game though. Might be time to resurrect the old Wii homebrew thread.

zroid

Banned
looks surprisingly great, wow

even though I only homebrew'd my Wii last month to retain my Brawl save, looks like I may have more use for the procedure after all.

Wow, this is awesome. I'll definitely try it out.

For those of you who don't know, the original release date for this fan-made modification was supposed to release on November 16, 2011.

After a long time period, it's finally ready. Here is the official site. The team does not condone piracy, and a retail disc is needed to play this game.

Oh, wait, nevermind. I can't play it because my Wii drive is broken. I hate that about Riivolution... It's bad enough when companies put DRM on their stuff. Oh well.

It looks awesome, though, especially the world map. Maybe I'll get to try it at a friend's place.

I can see where they got their inspiration from.

That was my first thought, too.

ronito

I downloaded one of those "more levels" Super Mario Wii mods. Damn thing was practically unplayable because the bad level design.

Village

Playing it right now
on the first few levels very... dare I say it even though I hate the term. Charming , the music is beyond dope,

Need an ost

I downloaded one of those "more levels" Super Mario Wii mods. Damn thing was practically unplayable because the bad level design.

Really? I played Summer Sun and the Christmas Special and they were very nice. I liked how they have the right feel and don't have that "So you thought the original was easy? Well beat this BITCH" mentality a lot of Mario hacks do.

Can't wait to try this out.

lunchtoast

Ok, so do I actually need my Wii disc? I have it copied to an HDD with my other Wii games. Does anyone know if it has to read from the disc slot?

edit- n/m, wasn't aware what riivolution was.

Ok, so do I actually need my Wii disc? I have it copied to an HDD with my other Wii games. Does anyone know if it has to read from the disc slot?

Yes, Riivolution works by reading your disc and then, whenever appropriate, it will replace on-disc data with the data on the SD card. That includes complete replacements of files and on-the-fly patching of code.

daakusedo

The first two levels are scary! But it get better, still it's full of why did they did that design choice moments, clashing visuals and music like the honey tower, using a different visual theme than the rest of the level just for the flagpole part, section where you just have to die if you're stucked like that level where you have to stay between two big spiked boulders while they crush pirhanna plants, but you can do a tight wall jump and get behind the boulders then, if you haven't a fire flower, and you didn't follow them, the plants are not crushed and well...

Still there's some cool ideas for hiding coins here and there and an interesting level where going to the screen border make you appear the other way, and they toss some wall jump moments in that.

Same here.

Also, why does riivolution need to be in both the root and apps. Is it the same contents or different?

I think they are different. The Riivolution in the apps folder is the actual application. The Riivolution folder that is included in the Newer download contains the data the application will use. Make sure the Newer folder is in the root of your SD Card.

Xane

Oh, it's finally out, huh.
I worked on it back in 2010, long development time.

Too bad Bowie stopped working on it (I think he's here on NeoGAF as well). Is around the time I left the development as well. :<

lunchtoast

I think they are different. The Riivolution in the apps folder is the actual application. The Riivolution folder that is included in the Newer download contains the data the application will use. Make sure the Newer folder is in the root of your SD Card.

Oh, thanks. I got it working. Played a few levels, it's alright.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In theory you could make this compatible with Dolphin. Riivolution basically subs in a file off your SD card over the equivalent file on the disc. It's what I use for custom Brawl music. So if you were able to extract the contents of a NSMBW disc and replace the equivalent files and then recompile it it could work. I don't use Dolphin and am perfectly fine with the Riivolution method so this is all theoretical from what little understanding I have.

Will try and give this a go.

In theory you could make this compatible with Dolphin. Riivolution basically subs in a file off your SD card over the equivalent file on the disc. It's what I use for custom Brawl music. So if you were able to extract the contents of a NSMBW disc and replace the equivalent files and then recompile it it could work. I don't use Dolphin and am perfectly fine with the Riivolution method so this is all theoretical from what little understanding I have.

Will try and give this a go.

I think Wii Scrubber could achieve that.

KNT-Zero

Out of all dated games that usually get lower prices over time, NSMBWii is still not far from the base price! I'll get to it when I get my Wii here, but it's gonna take a while...

Big Nikus

Playing it right now. Congrats to the guys who worked on this, for a "fan work" it's pretty outstanding. And thanks for the topic ! (would have missed it otherwise)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit. That is impressive as balls. This isn't just someone messing around with a level editor, these dudes went all out!

Top Bottom