• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Gestault

Some sections looks beautiful, but I think new Maple Valley has to be one of the ugliest tracks in the game. Drives awesome, but still : /

Synth

No it hasn't , so far every AAA game I have seen make the jump to native 4K on Xbox One X has shown signs of sacrifice in one way or another but that's not to say that they haven't also had upgrades in some areas.

Sacrifices over the original XB1 versions?

I could maybe give you that for Rise of the Tomb Raider, because the DoF has gone MIA for some reason so far... but would you mind detailing other examples?

FM7 would probably be a good start given the context.

Gestault

I'm not convinced on the night lighting in Forza though, I've been comparing to F1 2017 and it's really dark and not well lit (example of Yas Marina).

I almost had the opposite reaction. I had a late-dusk to midnight race last night, and on top of the the colored stadium light and headlight projections, the colored bounce-lighting off other cars was pretty nice. The overall scene is an improvement over the already good-looking night content from 6. I'd never have called it "not well lit"?

thelastword

Banned
I guess you'd rather appear to be an idiot then.

The best thing about Codemasters Evo is that it's going to be a multi-platform game somewhat free of plastic box console biased shitposting.

Lots of feelings in this thread, tell us how your'll really feel though. Don't keep that bottled up.....nuh uh!....That can't be good surely....

Soo whats happening here?

37181783610_91f1c3e486_b.jpg
It's what's we've been highlighting for a minute, but it's a better pic of the foliage differences and overall composure of the image and scene. It's brutal the downgrade we're seeing on F7 in respects to Maple Valley's authenticity....a 360 game at that.....The price for 4k or 1080p on XB1..ladies and gents...

some forza 7 trees on one..

1507112416-04-10-2017-10-56-44.png

1507112389-04-10-2017-10-57-48.png

1507112422-04-10-2017-10-56-52.png

1507112416-04-10-2017-10-57-39.png
MERCY!, I thought this game was supposed to be the best looking racer by far....What happened?

That tree is a special one though, is the first half trying to balance off the bottom half?

Tearing in Forza? Who would have thought..Tearing just to keep 60fps with worse reflections, foliage et al...

KageMaru

Even in the first few seconds, you can see reflections on the car updating at a lower framerate, something which I think has always been the case in all other previous Forza games. The PC version gives the option for better reflections. Can't think of any other difference though.

I could be mistaken but I don't think the reflection framerate is based on a quality setting. At least I don't think it was in Forza Horizon 3. The resolution of the reflections is likely what they are referring to. I only have my phone now but I'll watch the video again when I'm in front of a bigger screen to see if the 1X has lower resolution reflections.

Well, ok. It may not be strictly true in regards to every aspect on the console, but in terms of real-world usage, it appears to be holding true (to the extent that even 900p a reseeing a decent chance of hitting native 4K on XB1X).

I'm not sure what specific conditions would cause this to not be the case, but FM7 is apparently not one of them, because the standard model is sacrificing more than just the resolution, which wouldn't make sense if the XB1X's native 4K target was shackling the game.

The road itself in FM4 (and the entire game in general) really abused the specular effects in a bid to look flashier. It's very much the odd man out when placed alongside both FM3 and FM5 onwards, and not in a good way. The effect looked pretty ridiculous.

I think I know what he's insinuating with his post but you don't need 4x improvement in all areas for the trees not to look like shit.

The fact that you said this tell me that you don't know as much as you think you know.

What I said was based on fact while you're going off of speculation. So can you explain what you mean exactly?

Lots of feelings in this thread, tell us how your'll really feel though. Don't keep that bottled up.....nuh uh!....That can't be good surely....

It what's we've been discussing for a minute, but it's a better pic of the foliage differences and overall composure of the image and scene. It's brutal the downgrade we're seeing on F7 in respects to Maple Valley's authenticity....a 360 game at that.....The price for 4k or 1080 on XB1..ladies and gents...

Mercy, I though this game was suppose to be the best looking racer by far....What happened?

That tree is a special one though, is the first half trying to balance off the bottom half?

Tearing in Forza? Who would have thought..Tearing just to keep 60fps with worse reflections, foliage et al...

Is there a reason you keep ignoring me? Starting to hurt my feelings.

Synth

So we're all just going to act like Forza 7's Maple Valley encapsulates the entire game's graphics now aren't we?

Is there a reason you keep ignoring me? Starting to hurt my feelings.

He tends to ignore anyone that actually gives him a detailed response. I don't even know why he posts on a forum, because he's never actually looking for a discussion.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
The bolded doesn't make an logical sense though, because the XB1X have in excess of 4x the rendering capabilities of the XB1, and so can do everything and more at native 4K that the XB1 can achieve at 1080p, so there would actually need to be more sacrifices for the XB1 to hold 1080p60 than there would for XB1X to hold 4K60. You can even see evidence of this in the game not only rendering at 4K on XB1X, but having higher graphical settings across the board.

It would be the dynamic lighting and weather elements that would most logically cause the impact, but even then I wouldn't use that to explain Maple Valley, because that simply looks uncharacteristically terrible when compared with most of the game's content. It's like when GT5 had PS2 tracks... as though they legit forgot about FM4, and just plucked it from the FM1 instead lol.

EDIT: Actually scratch that... just looked at FM1, and the trees looked better there too.. :(

Colour me baffled then - hopefully, they'll see some of screenshots floating around and patch it...

ty_hot

Came here expecting to see some GT Sport screens, saw the pictures above (Forza) and before even noticing that it was the Microsoft game I already knew it wasnt GT because the car just looks like... digital models. GT cars look like actual cars. I dont know how to explain this, but you just need half a second to look and say HEY THIS IS A VIDEOGAME when its Forza and some other games (that are still beautiful, great gfx quality overall), but when it comes to GT I think the lighting seems so much more natural that you have to look and think for a while, and sometimes you cant come to a conclusion (if its a lower res gif/jpg for example).

VirtuaIceMan

Neo Member
I almost had the opposite reaction. I had a late-dusk to midnight race last night, and on top of the the colored stadium light and headlight projections, the colored bounce-lighting off other cars was pretty nice. The overall scene is an improvement over the already good-looking night content from 6. I'd never have called it "not well lit"?

Ah the transitions and sky box are great, it's just the artificial lighting that seems a bit dark. I'm shortly going to publish some F1 screenshot comparisons, where it shows up most.

It's what's we've been highlighting for a minute, but it's a better pic of the foliage differences and overall composure of the image and scene. It's brutal the downgrade we're seeing on F7 in respects to Maple Valley's authenticity....a 360 game at that.....The price for 4k or 1080p on XB1..ladies and gents...

MERCY!, I though this game was supposed to be the best looking racer by far....What happened?

When we're in on the subject bottled up. This post. Or any Forza post by you.

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

He tends to ignore anyone that actually gives him a detailed response. I don't even know why he posts on a forum, because he's never actually looking for a discussion.

It's just a wall. Discussing to a wall.

Space_nut

Are we acting as if any other game doesn't have shit trees? Lol anyone can go find certain track ugliest parts. How many tracks does gts has? Do we have weather shown for gts yet?

onQ123

Sacrifices over the original XB1 versions?

I could maybe give you that for Rise of the Tomb Raider, because the DoF has gone MIA for some reason so far... but would you mind detailing other examples?

FM7 would probably be a good start given the context.

FM7 made sacrifices from FM6 to be 4K on Xbox One X , even Quantum Break that's not native 4K has the film grain disable & has screen tearing & performance issues in the demo but all of that can change before the patch is released.

leeh

FM7 made sacrifices from FM6 to be 4K on Xbox One X
You can't make this shit up.

They literally got FM6 running at 4K with ultra textures and had 40% headroom on the GPU left and you're saying they made sacrifices?

Get outa here. If anything, they made artistic scarifies to get dynamic weather on the OG X1. 1X will be having an easy time.

Space_nut

FM7 made sacrifices from FM6 to be 4K on Xbox One X , even Quantum Break that's not native 4K has the film grain disable & has screen tearing & performance issues in the demo but all of that can change before the patch is released.

What sacrifices?

I can list a boat load for gts ;)

Synth

Quantum Break we'll see about I guess, but we can put with RoTR for now.

Forza Motorsport 7 though... just no...

It's not like the primary difference between FM6 and FM7 is th XB1X running the game at 4K... it's added a bunch of dynamic elements that were previously static. If the XB1X needing to hit 4K was holding the game back, then there wouldn't be further sacrifices on the standard XB1... that logic just doesn't hold up at all.

Sebmugi

it is not tearing (because it is photomode) but simply the tree that is part 2 and which does not coincide very well .. like any other that have the same problem ..
however, correct me if I am wrong, but I try to find a tree in 3D in forza 7 but I can not find .. not even a trunk of trees, is it because there are only trees in 2D ?? it seems like...

zoom on this tree.. it would be good that there is a little work on the vegetation directly at the abors of the circuits...but yes at the same time to 200 km h who cares .. ^^

it is a blow for those who troll the trees of GT sport ...

1507121453-04-10-2017-14-30-16.png

1507121452-04-10-2017-14-30-26.png

1507121460-04-10-2017-14-37-55.png

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional

They literally got FM6 running at 4K with ultra textures and had 40% headroom on the GPU left and you're saying they made sacrifices?

Get outa here. If anything, they made artistic scarifies to get dynamic weather on the OG X1. 1X will be having an easy time.

Well, it doesn't leave much on the table then... unless you start going down the conspiracy theory route.

Definitely not limited to Maple Valley in any case. Check out the trackside detail just on the first corner ~0.20 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfbVUI37SZs

onQ123

Y'all can play like y'all blind all you want

What sacrifices?

List them

Quantum Break we'll see about I guess, but we can put with RoTR for now.

Forza Motorsport 7 though... just no...

It's not like the primary difference between FM6 and FM7 is th XB1X running the game at 4K... it's added a bunch of dynamic elements that were previously static. If the XB1X needing to hit 4K was holding the game back, then there wouldn't be further sacrifices on the standard XB1... that logic just doesn't hold up at all.

They made sacrifices where it was needed for the jump to 4K on Xbox One X.

KageMaru

Are you really stooping down to TLW's level and making assumptions based on unfinished code?

What sacrifices?

Because you're a shining example of objectivity, right? Every game has sacrifices, cherry picking them in any game is stupid.

it is not tearing (because it is photomode) but simply the tree that is part 2 and which does not coincide very well .. like any other that have the same problem ..
however, correct me if I am wrong, but I try to find a tree in 3D in forza 7 but I can not find .. not even a trunk of trees, is it because there are only trees in 2D ?? it seems like...

zoom on this tree.. it would be good that there is a little work on the vegetation directly at the abors of the circuits...but yes at the same time to 200 km h who cares .. ^^

it is a blow for those who troll the trees of GT sport ...

1507121453-04-10-2017-14-30-16.png

1507121452-04-10-2017-14-30-26.png

1507121460-04-10-2017-14-37-55.png

Wow that does not look good at all. Lower resolution alpha textures is one thing, but this is just bad.

Y'all can play like y'all blind all you want

Like you being blind to my earlier post to you?

It's the same song and dance. You post something questionable, people address your post, you hold firm to your opinion without providing any clarification or explanation, people continue to address your post, and instead of elaborating your point, you point the finger at everyone else as if we're the problem in having a discussion.

onQ123

Like you being blind to my earlier post to you?

It's the same song and dance. You post something questionable, people address your post, you hold firm to your opinion without providing any clarification or explanation, people continue to address your post, and instead of elaborating your point, you point the finger at everyone else as if we're the problem in having a discussion.

I don't even know what you're talking about right now

Synth

They made sacrifices where it was needed for the jump to 4K on Xbox One X.

How can you quantify that, as opposed to they made sacrifices where needed to make the ToD and weather dynamic on XB1 at 1080p?

Why would the sacrifices be deeper on the standard XB1, if the XB1X was struggling more to hold 4K than the standard XB1 was to reach 1080p?... It's a very simple question, and I don't know why you're dancing around it. FM6 isn't FM7. FM7 is better on XB1X at 4K than FM7 is on XB1 at 1080p in every way (that we're aware of). This flies straight in the face of what you're trying to push.

Sebmugi

Bahahahahaha....

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh god that is the worst looking tree I have ever seen. On an Xbox one no less.

Ahahahahahahaha......sigh.

GT5 you have been dethroned.

there are limits to optimization .. I think in addition, to making a 2D sprite more cleaner does not take much more resources

there are limits to optimization .. I think in addition, to making a 2D sprite more cleaner does not take much more resources

Sure there are limits but who decided to crop a brown rectangle, cut it in half and then glue it back together without a protractor to create a tree stump?

Space_nut

How does any of this count as sacrifices for 4K on PS4 Pro? lol you're blinded by your anger right now

Lol ummmmmm that was all there in gt6!! On a PS3 to boot lmao

They clearly had to cut a lot just to get it running. Is it even NATIVE 4k?

Or is it cb on pro?

I'm not going to respond to the rest since all you post is bullshit, but this part was particularly funny.

I'd love to know why a single glitched texture makes you think Forza suffers from any tearing, and the fact that you seem to act like 60FPS makes a game worse is even funnier.

Sebmugi

Sure there are limits but who decided to crop a brown rectangle, cut it in half and then glue it back together without a protractor to create a tree stump?

this is because the trunks and the branches are cross-shaped and that a long 2D sprite must form something wrong when it turns on itself as the player passes..

1507124443-c4darbres-26.png

Synth

Wait. I missed GTSport betas, but does it really has smaller grid? 16 was already too small in GT6. What the fuck? Also what's about the "less tracks" bit in relation to performance. Are tracks... smaller?

No to both.

It has less cars and tracks in terms of content. Nothing to do with how much is displayed on screen at any given time.

dr guildo

yes i know i am not tender with gambling .. this is definitely the worst place to stop to catch a screen .. but they do exist .. /

It's not your fault, the ingame of F7 seems to be too far from the photomode. Pcars2 photomode is 1:1 with the ingame for what I can see, at least.

KageMaru

I don't even know what you're talking about right now

The fact that you said this tell me that you don't know as much as you think you know.

What I said was based on fact while you're going off of speculation. So can you explain what you mean exactly?

Lol ummmmmm that was all there in gt6!! On a PS3 to boot lmao

They clearly had to cut a lot just to get it running. Is it even NATIVE 4k?

Or is it cb on pro?

Just stop. They didn't need to cut anything for the Pro. They rebooted the franchise and recreated a lot, if not all, of the assets. This takes time but they are still expected to produce a game, so they couldn't include a larger roster of vehicles out the gate.

This thread should be about comparing graphical elements, not trolling.

leeh

How does any of this count as sacrifices for 4K on PS4 Pro? lol you're blinded by your anger right now
He's done the same thing you have and listed faults in the game blaming them on sacrifices to 4K and now you're saying this.

You really can't make this shit up hahah.

Uh, you mean they made sacrifices to the Xbox One version of FM7 to incorporate dynamic weather and TOD...

Ric Flair

Banned
yes i know i am not tender with gambling .. this is definitely the worst place to stop to catch a screen .. but they do exist .. /
Yoooo, this is some deer hunter simulator 95 shit right here. How do you release a new Forza in a state where it looks worse than previous installments? Is 4k really that valuable? I'd take prettier visuals in 1080p any day of the week

nkarafo

Speaking of trees, i saw a WRC 7 video the other day and it had some very good looking ones among the regular, crappy trees you see in racing games.

Top Bottom