• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Thanks for the info, I had trouble finding the numbers. Does this game have 24hr day/night cycle for every track? I haven't had a chance to check yet.

Yep, 24hr, fully dynamic and with weather on every single track as far as I'm aware. They also have seasonal effects such as different stages of tree life, earlier sunrise/sunset in winter, and some tracks even have snow covered versions.

Darkdeus

Thanks for the info, I had trouble finding the numbers. Does this game have 24hr day/night cycle for every track? I haven’t had a chance to check yet.

Yes it does. Each track is at the correct elevation too and facing the correct direction. Also four different seasons are available for each track along with 17 various weather options. You can transition between 4 different weather settings per race.

Gestault

Regarding PCARS2, best way to clean up the jaggies? I have just MSAA on medium. Can you inject TAA?

You should be able to overlap the two styles of AA if you're on Nvidia and use the control panel override. Not sure about a game setting. I'm positive there are ways on AMD, I just don't have firsthand experience there. Depending on your setup, you might actually get better results downsampling with DSR factors.

Gestault

If what he said is a valid argument, even in the face of evidence showing otherwise, then I now declare Stunts on MS-DOS to be the best looking game.

hqdefault.jpg

It's the best looking game because I can see that it is.

Phht, look at this trash. Can't even make a building stand straight up, they're so bad at modelling! I guess something had to give for the framerate.

nmNebnh.jpg

Phht, look at this trash. Can't even make a building stand straight up, they're so bad at modelling! I guess something had to give for the framerate.

nmNebnh.jpg
In all serious since I just noticed, can we take a minute to respect how surprisingly round that rear mounted spare tire is for 1990? Pretty impressive to me lol.

Synth

Out of F1 2017, pCARS2 and Forza 7...F1 looks the best and is by far the most polished game that i've played so far out of the three!

F1 2017 PC ver. 8k native!

36998238470_78920b7bf3_o.png

So yea, F1 basically wins the thread for having all the necessary lines built in.

Gestault

There is some flat Earth level of fuckery going on in here with people not understanding perspective.

It's one of those things I've struggled not to mock, but that's too much when it comes to someone bizarrely persisting on it for pages. It's got to be one of the boldest points of ignorance in the whole backlog of this thread, and it's not even anything to do with a particular game.

rashbeep

Banned
It's one of those things I've struggled not to mock, but that's too much when it comes to someone bizarrely persisting on it for pages. It's got to be one of the boldest points of ignorance in the whole backlog of this thread, and it's not even anything to do with a particular game.

Which was more entertaining onq argument, this or the gif thing

Gestault

Truly, the Riemann Hypothesis of our times.

cWaYk6b.png

I'm being a bit snide here. I do give him the overall point of the sense of a scene doesn't magically appear from being smaller. Some people go too far in dismissing the impression of a game because they see it in a gif. In a lot of cases this gen, it would be more impressive at full-size.

A few more Pcars 2 screens from some of my flickr contacts. GTS is looking really good but it's too bad it's console only. Playing at 4-8K on the PC with full LOD models would be fantastic.

36902291533_8eb5f22c88_b.jpg

37017810052_756160e401_b.jpg

36550767192_0bff8f8cf4_b.jpg

37428129076_9a8bfea439_b.jpg

34069741111_45f5201b31_b.jpg

33872447652_6b10072b92_b.jpg

32762264886_27e51c8f5a_b.jpg

33571538081_ff16d359e1_b.jpg
Very nice

I like the American city locales too

Nice to have such large track selection

onQ123

The most entertaining thing is that people are so defensive that they don't even know what they are arguing against because I already looked at the real pictures & can see that it's like that because it's on a different hill.

Fredrik

Instead of talking about tire barriers and leaning buildings you won't even see when zipping by at 200kmph, could somebody make a cockpit view comparison video showing off the differences in animations and cam shake and stuff like that?

Like I said earlier, I saw side mirrors vibrating when revving the engine and a rattling antenna when going really fast in PC2. Dirt on the windscreen building up the longer you race is a nice touch as well. Not that you see the driver when using a steering wheel of you own, but I really like how the driver's hands/arms vibrate the faster you go in Forza.

Don't forget that we're talking about racing here, stuff like that is so much more important than what you're currently discussing imo since it helps you get more immersed and captures the wild nature of driving these types of cars.

onQ123

And people cluttering up the thread trying to get answers from him. I mean, instead of that, just ignore and keep posting pics/admiring the great looking racers.

I'm not sure what answers they are looking for I found the answer to my question awhile ago. The police station is also on a hill in a different direction from where the car was going .

KageMaru

The most entertaining thing is that people are so defensive that they don't even know what they are arguing against because I already looked at the real pictures & can see that it's like that because it's on a different hill.

Not one person has been defensive. Just by you saying that leads me to believe you don't understand the meaning of the word.

And people cluttering up the thread trying to get answers from him. I mean, instead of that, just ignore and keep posting pics/admiring the great looking racers.

Admittedly it's fun backing ignorant posters in a corner where they either flip flop on their original post or just exit out of the conversation for a bit. Stupid shit shouldn't be ignored, it should be pointed out and ridiculed in hopes that it happens less.

I'm not sure what answers they are looking for I found the answer to my question awhile ago. The police station is also on a hill in a different direction from where the car was going .

See the thing is you tried to justify your original points by just posting pictures of the building in question. What you didn't do, but should have done, is admit that you made a mistake because you failed to see the perspective or difference in elevation with the original pictures. We all knew where you were mistaken, but you didn't own up to the mistake.

l2ounD

Instead of talking about tire barriers and leaning buildings you won't even see when zipping by at 200kmph, could somebody make a cockpit view comparison video showing off the differences in animations and cam shake and stuff like that?

https://youtu.be/bIDXBpG1uJY?t=13

You can see some differences in steering animation, how they let go/grab the wheel to how much they turn the wheel

Maybe Forza has aids on but the steering input seems super low.

enjmezh.png

onQ123

Not one person has been defensive. Just by you saying that leads me to believe you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Admittedly it's fun backing ignorant posters in a corner where they either flip flop on their original post or just exit out of the conversation for a bit. Stupid shit shouldn't be ignored, it should be pointed out and ridiculed in hopes that it happens less.

See the thing is you tried to justify your original points by just posting pictures of the building in question. What you didn't do, but should have done, is admit that you made a mistake because you failed to see the perspective or difference in elevation with the original pictures. We all knew where you were mistaken, but you didn't own up to the mistake.

What mistake? the real picture show that the police station is also on a hill going in the other direction.

You want me to say that I can't see this?

What mistake? the real picture show that the police station is also on a hill going in the other direction.

You want me to say that I can't see this?

There are times in life where you need to step back, realise you fucked up, that you were wrong and accept it. This is one of those occasions.

You're initial post was to take a negative stab at a game, then it backfired up into your face big time.

onQ123

There are times in life where you need to step back, realise you fucked up, that you were wrong and accept it. This is one of those occasions.

You're initial post was to take a negative stab at a game, then it backfired up into your face big time.

And this is exactly why people are blindly fighting a fight that I'm not even having with them.

I didn't say anything bad about Forza in my post

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Was looking for new track videos for GTS and saw a new time-of-day comparison between GTS, Driveclub, and PC2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B1uhPJvSFk

Seems to me that Driveclub's lighting model still wins out on everything except straight daytime where GTS wins hands-down. Trees in DC desaturate more realistically in the background compared to GTS. GTS probably wins on lights though (tail and headlights).

Pretty impressive for a title from 2014.

GTS at 15fps could win vs DC. A 30fps game with only 8 cars on grid has zero merit in winning vs a 60fps game with 24(?) cars on grid.

Accurate comparison, I think nobody can contest now that gameplay=replay with Dof and blur off.

Do you notice the atmospheric lighting quality, striking mountains in the background ?
So realistic.

Sorry, but DoF and motion blur help hiding aliasing, bad LoD, some low res textures, bad AF, etc. In gameplay screens we can clearly see aliasing almost everywhere while on replays not so much, so, no, gameplay =/= replays.

Tripolygon

Banned

Therein lies the problem, people are blinded by their own fanboyism that they pick a fight where there is none. The building is bent backwards at an 85 degrees angle (I checked). If you don't agree, simply carry on and ignore but there are lots of posts mocking his observation. The interesting thing is said people will swear they aren't fanboys but dare say something that is as little as appears negative about their preferred game then they attack in packs.

There are times when you ask yourself is something worth arguing over? You post your thought and move on, don't act like a child and start mocking someone over something so simple.

DD

GTS at 15fps could win vs DC. A 30fps game with only 8 cars on grid has zero merit in winning vs a 60fps game with 24(?) cars on grid.

DC pushes up to 12 cars, and for the style of tracks it has (windy and tight), sometimes it's actually too much.

Gestault

Therein lies the problem, people are blinded by their own fanboyism that they pick a fight where there is none. The building is bent backwards at an 85 degrees angle backwards (I checked). If you don't agree, simply carry on and ignore but their are lots of posts mocking his observation. The interesting thing is said people will swear they aren't fanboys but dare say something that as little as appears negative about their preferred game then they attack in packs.

There are times when you ask yourself is something worth arguing over? You post your thought and move on, don't act like a child and start mocking someone over something so simple.

To clarify, the particular building on the last few pages is just the latest iteration of that exchange. It started much further back, when onQ123 couldn't comprehend why buildings at the edge of the image appeared to slant outward (and why distant objects seemed like they had slightly different slants). It started before that post, but that was where it was completely clear what he was saying (he cropped multiple images at the edges to try to illustrate the "problem" he saw). He was characterizing it as an issue specific to one game, which made it even more baffling.

I saw more than one other person pick up on it, assuming there was something to it, which I think is why people bothered to respond, explaining what lens distortion is.

ethomaz

Banned
Accurate comparison, I think nobody can contest now that gameplay=replay with Dof and blur off.
That was always the case but a lot of guys believes Replays is so much better than gameplay... they say you don’t play the graphics showed in Replay lol

Maybe the camera angles makes everything “so much better”.

drotahorror

A few more Pcars 2 screens from some of my flickr contacts. GTS is looking really good but it's too bad it's console only. Playing at 4-8K on the PC with full LOD models would be fantastic.

36902291533_8eb5f22c88_b.jpg

37017810052_756160e401_b.jpg

36550767192_0bff8f8cf4_b.jpg

37428129076_9a8bfea439_b.jpg

34069741111_45f5201b31_b.jpg

33872447652_6b10072b92_b.jpg

32762264886_27e51c8f5a_b.jpg

33571538081_ff16d359e1_b.jpg

This is easily some of the best shots I've seen in the thread.
am hardcore dc fanboy too

Exactly what i was going to say. You can see polygonal edges of the model in PCars compared to GTS and how they modeled the wear of the tires, the texture work is better in GTS as well.

You can't see the polygon edges on the GTS screen? Even with the angle not helping, it's clearly visible on some tires.

Tripolygon

Banned
You can't see the polygon edges on the GTS screen? Even with the angle not helping, it's clearly visible on some tires.
Sure you can, then compare it to GTS and you'll see it is more pronounced in PCars. Never said there was none in GTS.
To clarify, the particular building on the last few pages is just the latest iteration of that exchange. It started much further back, when onQ123 couldn't comprehend why buildings at the edge of the image appeared to slant outward (and why distant objects seemed like they had slightly different slants). It started before that post, but that was where it was completely clear what he was saying (he cropped multiple images at the edges to try to illustrate the "problem" he saw). He was characterizing it as an issue specific to one game, which made it even more baffling
To me that building appears to be 2d with false depth added to some edges as is evident by other edges just being flat with textures. Many games do that because it saves on time, memory etc and is not something very important as its just a side detail that we pass by. I do understand that camera fov can make the outside edges appear slanted though.

That being said, it still does not warrant the pages and pages of just snide and mocking comments.

Sure you can, then compare it to GTS and you'll see it is more pronounced in PCars. Never said there was none in GTS.

Sorry about the terrible crop, I meant, they are both very similar low poly models:

BWnM1Z6.png

Edit: I forgot to expand the images when cropping XD

But the tires in GTS are definitely better shaded though, perhaps that's why it's harder to spot the edges.

dr guildo

Sorry, but DoF and motion blur help hiding aliasing, bad LoD, some low res textures, bad AF, etc. In gameplay screens we can clearly see aliasing almost everywhere while on replays not so much, so, no, gameplay =/= replays.

So Gameplay is not replay with Dof and moblur off ?

Top Bottom