• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

jtvgsu.gif

I think it looks very impressive at times. I also really enjoyed my short time with the storm island DLC.

Noobcraft

I think it looks very impressive at times. I also really enjoyed my short time with the storm island DLC.
I still haven't left storm island. I just freeroam around and around because I can't beat the event I'm on with the 3 gear rally sport truck. I refuse to turn on traction control.

I guess this is why the Sony fans (like myself) find themselves with the 'derogatory' label, Sony Defence Force. The clue is in the term me thinks. Clearly this type of one sided conversation has been taking place for years now.

The term first started around the launch of the PS3, where there was a lot of deserved negativity around Sony. For the most part the term was largely overused on people like myself who were simply calling out some of the bullshit being slung around early last gen.
Of course there are extremists on all sides and some Sony fans are as bad as they come.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The term first started around the launch of the PS3, where there was a lot of deserved negativity around Sony. For the most part the term was largely overused on people like myself who were simply calling out some of the bullshit being slung around early last gen.
Of course there are extremists on all sides and some Sony fans are as bad as they come.

Tell me about it. I had a blazing row with a friend of mine because I complained about Sony's advertising and the ridiculous price of Vita memory cards. I also got incredible flak for scoring Infamous Second Son 5/10 on another forum. I DO think the labels are an interesting subject though and well worth considering how they came about and why.

Back on topic folks ... sorry.

in fact, i bet the majority of posters *in this topic* would buy a 30fps racer, (even though given an equal option would prefer maximum fps.)

Before Driveclub, I was very skeptical of racers that weren't 60 fps, but that game made me a believer that it can be done. Do I wish it could be 60 fps? Sure. I greatly prefer 60 fps in all types of games. But the game is just so fun, visually stunning and holds that 30 fps so solid that I completely forget that I'm even playing a 30 fps racer.

ICPEE

Why are people discussing gameplay and metacritic in a GRAPHICS comparison?

Because when a game is graphically superior to the rest, other measures have to be taken to bring it down. I have seen such extreme measures of nitpicking in this thread that borders on insane and makes me question the mental capacity of some of the posters. Its not enough that a game simply looks great.

Anarion07

That's not completely true, though. DC looks better because it is 30FPS - that much isn't up for debate - but the temporal AA solution used in the game suffers because of it (30FPS) and I'd say has a hand in the odd judder the game seems to suffer from.

If you really do experience judder in DC, you probably have some kind of post processing on your TV activated.
There is no judder whatsoever in Driveclub, its smoother than smooth.

If you really do experience judder in DC, you probably have some kind of post processing on your TV activated.
There is no judder whatsoever in Driveclub, its smoother than smooth.
None at all. It's a Sony W7 in game-mode with everything turned off. As I say I've only noticed the effect in DC and TLoU:R when locked.

RayMaker

Banned
Just stop. I don't think you can even keep up with what you're saying/have said at this moment.

You tried to prove something that is completely subjective by citing certain sites and calling some of the views of said sites the majority opinion, and then in turn tried to imply it was fact just because the majority of people believe it. Which, I might add, you have no way of proving.

Moral of the story? Opinion =/= Fact. Using opinions of select individuals on select sites as a way to objectively prove a game's gameplay is "ok" is dumb.

I am not trying to prove or incite fact on anything,I was just saying that my opinion is common with the game.

I think most people will agree that DC is the better looking racer in all aspects except maybe the car models (I think PCars has the better ones).

However, being a console exclusive hurts the title. A good PC port would make the game shine with better IQ and of course, 60/120fps. Its a shame that these exceptional visuals and effects are dragged back by a mediocre frame rate standard. Yes we know its "fine" and "playable" but its not optimal at all. Plus, frame rate is a visual aspect as well and adds to how good a game looks. If you want the reason why old games like Sega Rally 2 (arcade), Daytona USA (arcade), F-Zero GX, Outrun 2006, Burnout series, etc have aged so well visually and still feel good to play today just look what all these games have in common.

This game deserves a PC port.

Wasn't port-begging... you know...?

nOoblet16

None at all. It's a Sony W7 in game-mode with everything turned off. As I say I've only noticed the effect in DC and TLoU:R when locked.

That doesn't sound right, the judder in TLoU locked is due to the object motion blur being unoptimised for 30FPS...which causes the motion blur to only be display for half as long as it should when running at 30FPS. This is why even the original PS3 version feels less juddery even at sub 30 FPS when compared to the remastered version's locked 30FPS.

Driveclub on the other hand has no such issues so it's probably an issue with your TV or you are just seeing things :p

I am not trying to prove or incite fact on anything,I was just saying that my opinion is common with the game.

Sigh...

No, that's not what you were "just saying". You said:

its an ok racer with fantastic graphics, the reviews scores and majority opinion reflect this.

You tried to pass off your opinion as fact by backing it up with other subjective opinions from major sites. And you then tried to pass off those sites as the "majority opinion".

That doesn't sound right, the judder in TLoU locked is due to the object motion blur being unoptimised for 30FPS...which causes the motion blur to only be display for half as long as it should when running at 30FPS. This is why even the original PS3 version feels less juddery even at sub 30 FPS when compared to the remastered version's locked 30FPS.

Driveclub on the other hand has no such issues

Except this sounds like a perfect description of the issues present in both games for me :p Certainly in DC's case it's noticeable at speed on the foliage and looks like a low precision effect is being used which given the environments I find somewhat jarring.

...so it's probably an issue with your TV or you are just seeing things :p
But it isn't. The issue isn't present in any other game that I've tried on the set.

Noobcraft

Here we are again, talking about review scores and "user opinions" in the graphics thread.

^^I also feel like Driveclub has a weird motion blur system. It doesn't look bad to me but something looks off. This picture shows it, the fence on the left hand side.
driveclub_4.jpg

RayMaker

Banned
Sigh...

No, that's not what you were "just saying". You said:

You tried to pass off your opinion as fact by backing it up with other subjective opinions from major sites. And you then tried to pass off those sites as the "majority opinion".

Reviews and talk from every corner of the net does reflect it, does it mean its a fact, no, but it does show I'm not the only one who thinks it and my claims are not completely unwarranted.

yurinka

Source?

Also, yeah, THANKFULLY people with higher standards are the minority... sigh.
Sales of 60fps vs non-60 fps games prove that it's only important for a minority of players since it doesn't make people buy games and other things instead help more, like astonishing graphics with 30+fps or being in a more popular platform. I mean, God of War sells way more than Bayonetta.

Same goes with console sales versus high end pc sales: console market is way bigger than PC market, specially the high end graphics one, you can see it when checking the sales of multiplatform games with moderately requiring in PC HW specs: pc sales are way smaller than console ones.

hands down drive club is the best looking current gen racing game, can we please accept it and move on.

You can't throw out an opinion, claim it is fact and then stop other people talking. This is a discussion forum.

I find Driveclub's graphics rather murky, with the image exposure not well balanced to display the road ahead. I also find the lighting of rain rather ridiculous. This is based on owning the game since launch.

These are just my opinions. But they hold the same weight as yours, either worth something or worthless. But the same goes for both of us.

However, being a console exclusive hurts the title.

This game deserves a PC port.

This thread should be moderated against shit posts and blatant port begging now that we're in that territory. DC being a console exclusive is the only reason it exists and the sole reason you're able to see graphics like this thanks to the financial backing from publishers like Sony who obviously wouldn't have funded a multiplat game. You knew this obvious fact but decided to start some drama.

ShapeGSX

At 30, DC gives me more sense of speed than any 60 fps racer so far

Sense of speed has little to do with frame rate. More to do with exaggerating and stretching the rendering at the edges of the screen. It also has to do with how close objects next to the track are.

After I would spend a night of drag racing to 118mph in my Eclipse with nothing near the track, accelerating to 60mph on a wooded road felt a hell of a lot faster to me.

Reviews and talk from every corner of the net does reflect it, does it mean its a fact, no, but it does show I'm not the only one who thinks it and my claims are not completely unwarranted.

You're either intentionally trolling me now or you genuinely believe what you've tried to twist your argument into.

Whatever, I've gone way too off-topic talking to you. I know what you said, and what you meant by it, your comment history doesn't lie and you're not smart enough to try and fool me into believing that I misinterpreted what you said. I'm done here.

Javin98

Banned
You missed the point of my post, stupid. And i don't even have a graphics card that comes close to PS4 or XBOX1. I just used to love racing games during 6th gen of consoles.
LOL, stupid? What, are you 12 years old or something? Going with childish name calling and all? I ain't the only one who "misread" your post. Others have also called you out on the same comment. I find it hard to believe you have a graphics card much weaker than a PS4 to claim this game deserves to be on PC because of its graphical flaws since you won't be able to max it out anyway if you are supposedly telling the truth. In this case, you're better off playing this on a PS4 unless you have something against it

RayMaker

Banned
You're either intentionally trolling me now or you genuinely believe what you've tried to twist your argument into.

Whatever, I've gone way too off-topic talking to you. I know what you said, and what you meant by it, your comment history doesn't lie and you're not smart enough to try and fool me into believing that I misinterpreted what you said. I'm done here.

Oh come off it, what about your post history!
And no I'm not trying to fool you, your just stawmanning me, saying I'm try to claim something as fact when I'm not.

LOL, stupid? What, are you 12 years old or something? Going with childish name calling and all? I ain't the only one who "misread" your post. Others have also called you out on the same comment. I find it hard to believe you have a graphics card much weaker than a PS4 to claim this game deserves to be on PC because of its graphical flaws since you won't be able to max it out anyway if you are supposedly telling the truth. In this case, you're better off playing this on a PS4 unless you have something against it
He's just one of those "60fps or bust" kind of people.

nkarafo

LOL, stupid? What, are you 12 years old or something? Going with childish name calling and all?
Your previous post to me wasn't less childish. I only answered in the same manner you did.

I find it hard to believe you have a graphics card much weaker than a PS4 to claim this game deserves to be on PC because of its graphical flaws since you won't be able to max it out anyway if you are supposedly telling the truth. In this case, you're better off playing this on a PS4 unless you have something against it
Again, you are missing the point. Which is pretty ironic calling me "genius" ironically.

My card is a 8800gt. Which is way inferior to PS4/XBOX1.

I don't have anything against your precious game... i'm saying my opinion but there are so many raised pitchforks here i guess.

Now that's a mature post. Wait...

I guess having legit arguments against one frigging flaw for this game makes me "60fps or bust guy". Nice labeling there.

I love your mature posting people.

Sales of 60fps vs non-60 fps games prove that it's only important for a minority of players
CoD.

Javin98

Banned
I can respect how PC gamers think 60FPS is the minimum standard for them but at least most of them don't go around name calling others. I mean "stupid". Really? Reminds me of my 10 year old self on a keyboard. Furthermore, according to him his GPU is nowhere close to a PS4 so to obtain 60FPS in DC, he would have to greatly reduce the visual fidelity anyway. So in short he is shitposting.

Your previous post to me wasn't less childish. I only answered in the same manner you did.
LMAO. I didn't use childish terms like you did, I only sarcastically replied. And besides, I was replying to a senseless post anyway. Anything other than sarcasm would waste my time and effort. And a 8800GT, really? You won't even be able to run it anyway.

I think PCars has the more detailed model, but Driveclub has better material shaders.
Don't even debate with him. Look at his previous posts. He actually wants Driveclub on PC.

nkarafo

LMAO. I didn't use childish terms like you did, I only sarcastically replied. And besides, I was replying to a senseless post anyway. Anything other than sarcasm would waste my time and effort. And a 8800GT, really? You won't even be able to run it anyway.
What the hell?

When did i say that i want this game for the PC so I, ME, PERSONALLY, can play it?

Not everybody think for themselves man.

Again, not a PC player. I was a racing fan during the 6th gen. How many times do i have to write this for you to get it??

Don't even debate with him. Look at his previous posts. He actually wants Driveclub on PC.
Oh, i guess you are trolling me. Should have known.

Again, you are missing the point. Which is pretty ironic calling me "genius" ironically.

My card is a 8800gt. Which is way inferior to PS4/XBOX1.

I don't have anything against your precious game... i'm saying my opinion but there are so many raised pitchforks here i guess.

Now that's a mature post. Wait...

I guess having legit arguments against one frigging flaw for this game makes me "60fps or bust guy". Nice labeling there.

I love your mature posting people.

CoD.
Aren't you? I mean a lot of the time I've seen you post, you're posting about how you can't play 30fps games anyway because you don't find them fun. Isn't that basically " 60fps or bust "?

Oh, and calling someone "stupid" is much more mature, right? *sigh*

Javin98

Banned
What the hell?

When did i say that i want this game for the PC so I, ME, PERSONALLY, can play it?

Not everybody think for themselves man.

Oh, i guess you are trolling me. Should have known.
Right, so you want DC on PC for the benefit of others.... Someone give this man the Humanitarian Of The Year award!

Aren't you? I mean a lot of the time I've seen you post, you're posting about how you can't play 30fps games anyway because you don't find them fun. Isn't that basically " 60fps or bust "?

With his "8800GT", he can't even run COD MW3 on low at 60FPS anyway. But he posts for the benefit of others so let's give him a clap

nkarafo

No its not more mature. But i didn't like the way he answered to me.

I can't play racing games (and some other genres) @ 30fps because i got used to the 6th gen ones. Still, i think i have the right to say my opinion without every DC fan burn me like a witch.

Right, so you want DC on PC for the benefit of others.... Someone give this man the Humanitarian Of The Year award!
...tries to not feed the troll....

Javin98

Banned

I can't play racing games (and some other genres) @ 30fps because i got used to the 6th gen ones. Still, i think i have the right to say my opinion without every DC fan burn me like a witch.

Hahaha.... I'm a troll? Great sense of hypocrisy. At least I don't want games released on PC just so others can play

It's fine to have an opinion, as long as you don't try to make it come off as fact.

I'm not the only one that thought your opinion about DC being "held back" or "mangled" by being on consoles to come off as flame bait. Also, the port begging.

In this thread I learned no movie has ever had impressive visual fx/cg because they only run at 24 fps.

/sarcasm

Seriously though. Fantastic pics of both games in here. Been joy to browse, thx.

nkarafo

Hahaha.... I'm a troll? Great sense of hypocrisy. At least I don't want games released on PC just so others can play
seriously... if you already read my previous posts like you say and all you got is this then my arguments went way over your head. If you can't handle this please don't reply with smartass comments : /

I'm not the only one that thought your opinion about DC being "held back" or "mangled" by being on consoles to come off as flame bait. Also, the port begging.
I didn't say the game got "mangled" because its on a console. I said it because it didn't have the smooth motion older racing games had. The fact that this happens on consoles mostly is why i said a PC port would make the game shine (with these particular graphics, today). But its not an "attack" on consoles themselves. IMO they should have kept the standards as they were and keep improving the graphics as much as the consoles would allow.

Javin98

Banned
seriously... if you already read my previous posts like you say and all you got is this then my arguments went way over your head. If you can't handle this please don't reply with smartass comments : /
It's fine to have an opinion, as long as you don't try to make it come off as fact.

Hey, this guy agrees with me. Like he said, you said DC was being held back as a console exclusive, so if that's not flame baiting I don't know what is. And if you ain't a PC gamer, there is no reason for you to beg for a port

I didn't say the game got "mangled" because its on a console. I said it because it didn't have the smooth motion older racing games had. The fact that this happens on consoles mostly is why i said a PC port would make the game shine (with these particular graphics, today). But its not an "attack" on consoles themselves. IMO they should have kept the standards as they were and keep improving the graphics as much as the consoles would allow.
Eh, we'll agree to disagree.

Just saying, to those whose are arguing that DC is prettier than PC because of 30 fps, why don't you try to lower PC's frame rate to 30 fps and get even more higher settings to have better graphics? I think it would be better if we compare both DC and PC at 30 fps. If DC is better than PC even at 30 fps, we can easily say DC is the graphics king until the next racing game comes out. The same can be said if PC looks better :)

nkarafo

Hey, this guy agrees with me. Like he said, you said DC was being held back as a console exclusive, so if that's not flame baiting I don't know what is. And if you ain't a PC gamer, there is no reason for you to beg for a port
Well, i am (also) a PC player but i mostly play older PC games and last gen ports on it. I don't have a particular agenda against consoles or PCs.

And i'm not begging for a port. Its a conversation.

Javin98

Banned
Just saying, to those whose are arguing that DC is prettier than PC because of 30 fps, why don't you try to lower PC's frame rate to 30 fps and get even more higher settings to have better graphics? I think it would be better if we compare both DC and PC at 30 fps. If DC is better than PC even at 30 fps, we can easily say DC is the graphics king until the next racing game comes out. The same can be said if PC looks better :)
While resolution and AA can be increased with the headroom provided by 30FPS, there is a limit for the shaders, environmental detail, lighting and weather, so DC will still look better anyway IMO

Javin98

Banned
Well, i am (also) a PC player but i mostly play older PC games and last gen ports on it. I don't have a particular agenda against consoles or PCs.

And i'm not begging for a port. Its a conversation.
Like DirgeExtinction said, let's just agree to disagree.

dr guildo

I think most people will agree that DC is the better looking racer in all aspects except maybe the car models (I think PCars has the better ones).

Hmm, Don't know it you have already the opportunity to visit the DC photo thread, so in case you haven't :
15838809568_0ce7b59be4_o.jpg

15948622259_dc7839203d_o.jpg

15512367334_201e957be5_o.jpg

^^I also feel like Driveclub has a weird motion blur system. It doesn't look bad to me but something looks off. This picture shows it, the fence on the left hand side.

It's dithering, as far as I'm aware. It gives the motion blur a grainy look and just looks weird when you're at high speed. It looks quite bad, IMO. In terms of just motion blur it's definitely bottom of the games in this ongoing argument.

While resolution and AA can be increased with the headroom provided by 30FPS, there is a limit for the shaders, environmental detail, lighting and weather, so DC will still look better anyway IMO
I have yet to see any 4K or 8K screenshots of PC. But for now, DC looks better imo too :) It's crazy to see a game running on a high-end PC has worse graphics than one running on a console which has very limited specs. Very look forward to the end of this gen when graphics of racing games will be even more pushed and enhanced :)

Jamesways

There is a thread comparing all aspects of next gen racing games, it doesn't get used as much as this one.

Next-Gen Racer Roundup: ALL F5 / GT6 / DRIVECLUB / Project Cars comparisons go HERE.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687291&page=19

So perhaps we should ask a Mod to merge these two threads since this one constantly derails into a performance/review comparison as well.

AKA for a graphics thread, way too many posts with lengthy expositions and not enough pics and gifs.

Top Bottom