• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Gestault

Re: some of the earlier discussions about DC:

Subtle (and ideally, well-handled) LoD shifts are basically necessary for the detail levels we expect. Down the road with better CPUs, tessellation will change that to varying degrees, but it's still pointless to display full detail for distant or obscured objects. Optically, detail falls off fairly quickly. I only think it's a "problem" when it's suggested performance LoDs aren't in place and it turns out that it's not true.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So finally picked up driveclub.

Absolutely gorgeous.

As someone who picked up Forza 5 Day One Edition, and was massively disappointed by the graphics, this game is just stunning.

The amount of detail put into both the cars and environments is breathtaking, and the weather effects thus far are like nothing I've ever seen.

Still getting used to the photomode controls, but looking forward to getting some nice shots.

Any word on an ETA for replay mode?

benzy

So finally picked up driveclub.

Absolutely gorgeous.

As someone who picked up Forza 5 Day One Edition, and was massively disappointed by the graphics, this game is just stunning.

The amount of detail put into both the cars and environments is breathtaking, and the weather effects thus far are like nothing I've ever seen.

Still getting used to the photomode controls, but looking forward to getting some nice shots.

Any word on an ETA for replay mode?

Should be coming this month.

And yeah, I think the weather effects are going to be pretty hard to top.

vjambg.gif

Sipheren

Banned
That's visually impressive, but a sun shower simply does not obscure your vision like that between windshield wipes.

It depends how hard it starts raining. I have experienced that here before, fully light but pissing down making the window covered in rain.

ShapeGSX

It depends how hard it starts raining. I have experienced that here before, fully light but pissing down making the window covered in rain.

You can see how hard it is raining on the wiped windshield in that GIF (which is pretty damn amazing). It's not raining hard.

They're just photo travel. And they're most likely not even the highest end models that PD has as Kaz has stated that the models that they made were beyond the PS3's capabilities and more in line with the PS4.

Wasn't he talking about the photo travel detail being beyond the PS3's capabilities in gameplay?

GT7 will have:

standard - bodies tarted up RUF style
premium - GT6
super premium - new to GT7, fully modelled, engine, underside, the full works, plus a fine selection of motorcycles; road, TT and Moto GP.

What I mean by that statement is that when you play a fighting game for example, a high refresh rate is a must in order to do good combo inputs, blocks, counters, reactions etc.

In a racing game like DC, I don't really see how it could benefit from a higher framerate.

I'd say racing games are one of the main genres where you want a high framerate, as you are constantly making moment to moment adjustments (especially in a sim) to your steering, instant feedback makes racing games feel soooooooooo much better.

benzy

You can see how hard it is raining on the wiped windshield in that GIF (which is pretty damn amazing). It's not raining hard.

It's the dashcam so it's positioned close to the lower part of the windshield where all of the water build up is; even in light rain there's going to be water build up on the windshield in the game. If it was the cockpit view you'd see this instead. You can see all of the water build up in the lower part where the dashcam would be positioned.

jmvmds.gif

I don't think anyone is raving on about how realistic it mimics the real world. How much more convincing and impressive it looks compared to rain in other racers is more of the point.

blcueh.gif

zlckxh.gif

Jamesways

Well, that's new if it's true. But i know that more than a year ago Kaz landed on Isle Of Man TT.

I know Milestone got the boot for SBK, MotoGP, and WRC.

Rumor has it Kylotonn is developing the next WRC game, but I haven't heard anything for the future of MotoGP or SBK.

I think PD probably got the rights to some of the bikes, but probably not the entire racing series. Would be amazing if they did though. Tourist Trophy was fantastic.

Sipheren

Banned

You're right, it seems the water that was washed to the side by the wiper comes back over the screen. Very cool water physics for real time, most cars have the water flow off the window though, so not exactly accurate...

ShutterMunster

Wasn't he talking about the photo travel detail being beyond the PS3's capabilities in gameplay?

GT7 will have:

standard - bodies tarted up RUF style
premium - GT6
super premium - new to GT7, fully modelled, engine, underside, the full works, plus a fine selection of motorcycles; road, TT and Moto GP.

GT7 needs to ditch the varied quality car nonsense. If you can't get all the cars up to snuff then leave them out. Having 800 cars doesn't mean a damn thing when 75% of them aren't up to spec with the hardware the game is running on. Quality over quantity.

VanWinkle

I'd love to see rainfall the quality of Arkham Knight in a racing game soon.

WelllitFlakyAldabratortoise.gif

Probably the best looking rainfall I've ever seen in a game. DC's rainfall looks pretty average, as do the other racing games, whereas this is a huge step above. Now, I'm strictly talking about the rainfall, and not the other aspects of the weather, like the rain drop physics and whatnot.

benzy

I'd love to see rainfall the quality of Arkham Knight in a racing game soon.

http://giant.gfycat.com/WelllitFlakyAldabratortoise.gif

Probably the best looking rainfall I've ever seen in a game. DC's rainfall looks pretty average, as do the other racing games, whereas this is a huge step above. Now, I'm strictly talking about the rainfall, and not the other aspects of the weather, like the rain drop physics and whatnot.

Yeah, the plain straight lines used for rainfall in racing games looks weird. Is there a higher quality gif of the rain in AK? I think MGSV currently has the best looking rainfall effects.

qnjemt.gif

VanWinkle

Yeah, the plain straight lines used for rainfall in racing games looks weird. Is there a higher quality gif of the rain in AK? I think MGSV currently has the best looking rainfall effects.

qnjemt.gif

Not sure. I just made that quickly to show it. But, yeah, MGSV GZ has the best rainfall of any game currently out, and AK looks even better with how great it reacts to light and whatnot.

Edit: Another one:

http://giant.gfycat.com/AngryMeaslyIberiannase.gif

GameSeeker

qnjemt.gif

That's the weirdest next-gen racing game I've seen. Sorry, DriveClub still wins the next-gen weather category.

:p

Anarion07

Quoting myself from rain in video games thread:

Basically this.
I read that rain drops fall at about 9 m/s...
so even at 60 FPS, thats a 15 cm (edit: 5,9 inches) fall in 1 frame.
You'd need a beast of a rig to get to framerates where you can see individual drops

Since DC is 30 FPS that equals 30 cm ( 12 inches) fall distance of a drop in 1 frame.
Add the illumination of the drop by the headlights, and you get "white lines"

And it's important to note that outside of the headlights, rain in DC is not "white lines"

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

qnjemt.gif

Good. As it should. MGS2 reigned champion for years.

This Driveclub rain though. Holy shit. Playing on a 65" 4K Curved with a surround sound setup. I actually feel the danger that I would going that speed in that rain. I live in FL and the rain here borders on ridiculous during the summer. This makes me feel as if I am daring enough to go 100+ in those conditions. Awesome.

Good. As it should. MGS2 reigned champion for years.

This Driveclub rain though. Holy shit. Playing on a 65" 4K Curved with a surround sound setup. I actually feel the danger that I would going that speed in that rain. I live in FL and the rain here borders on ridiculous during the summer. This makes me feel as if I am daring enough to go 100+ in those conditions. Awesome.

MGS2 tanker chapter was like the benchmark for years. It truly was amazing back then, it even moved according to the wind at 60fps.

It's great MGS is back to 60fps.

It looks alright, but it's too damn big. It looks like the droplets I get from my shower when it's on the massage setting.

I agree. I don't have the game, but most of these DC cockpit gifs and videos look silly. Again, a fantastic effect on the environments, that's really going to be hard to top, but other than that it's neither realistic nor good looking.

I agree. I don't have the game, but most of these DC cockpit gifs and videos look silly. Again, a fantastic effect on the environments, that's really going to be hard to top, but other than that it's neither realistic nor good looking.
And yet, it looks better than in any racing game that's attempted it.

We're still talking about rain effects, right?

benzy

That's a strange complaint it seems you've only been applying to DC and not to other racers when DC still looks considerably more realistic out of the bunch.

And what isn't good looking about this?

jqftui.gif

vs.
tkmxbq.gif

The rainbeading is just a texture in FH2 and it barely looks like there are raindrops hitting the windshield, even though there is clearly a lot of rain in the environment. In pCars the layered rainbead texture on the windshield doesn't even apply to the lower part of the screen where the wipers are, so there's a huge discrepancy between that area and the top part where all of the rain bead textures show up.

2556391-fh2+wreck.gif

http://a.pomf.se/zlckxh.gif

It's just a texture in FH2 and it barely looks like there are raindrops hitting the windshield, even though there is clearly a lot of rain in the environment. In pCars the layered windshield rain texture doesn't even apply to the lower part of the screen where the wipers are, so there's a huge discrepancy between that area and the top part where all of the rain bead textures show up.

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/1538/15387297/2556391-fh2+wreck.gif[/mg][/QUOTE]

Do you think theres a chance they did this to improve visibility? I did think it was very subtle when I played it.

benzy

Do you think theres a chance they did this to improve visibility? I did think it was very subtle when I played it.

Possibly, but I think it's because it might be using the same or similar renderer for the windshield effect as PGR4, which was also very subtle and had similar looking rain droplets.

Shaneus

I was talking about the rain effects in whatever MGS game was posted. The rain effects in DC are far and away better than anything seen in a racing game on any platform so far.

DC has the best rain effects overall, yes. I posted more on that over the past few days so check out the last few pages. The short version is the environments are untouchable, the windscreen effects are maybe the best so far, but they can still look pretty bad, and the effect of the falling rain from the cockpit view doesn't look good at all (snow is even worse), and I'm finding it more subdued and simply better in Horizon.

Project cars quite frankly doesn't hold a candle to Driveclub. I tried it on my PC and I was very unimpressed. It simply doesn't look as good and I think the lighting is what is the main thing that sets them apart.

DC has the best rain effects overall, yes. I posted more on that over the past few days so check out the last few pages. The short version is the environments are untouchable, the windscreen effects are maybe the best so far, but they can still look pretty bad, and the effect of the falling rain from the cockpit view doesn't look good at all (snow is even worse), and I'm finding it more subdued and simply better in Horizon.
I really don't see how, but to each their own.

And wow at that DC v pCars comparison.

Sipheren

Banned
A comparison between Driveclub and Project cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyZo6cmtkwI

it looks like a generational leap tbh, DC utterly destroys the competition, it's not even fair.

This is great, really shows where the strengths are, imo, DC looks much, much better from the cockpit, no match.

I like the water spray from pCars though, and I also prefer the night cockpit in pCars, the lightning looks more realistic and it all feels darker as it should be.

Nice comparison.

This is great, really shows where the strengths are, imo, DC looks much, much better from the cockpit, no match.

I like the water spray from pCars though, and I also prefer the night cockpit in pCars, the lightning looks more realistic and it all feels darker as it should be.

Nice comparison.

Remember the setting is light rain but it's pouring in Pcars.

GameSeeker

it looks like a generational leap tbh, DC utterly destroys the competition, it's not even fair.

This is a great comparison video!

As you said it's not even a contest. DriveClub absolutely destroy's PCars, even though it's running on inferior hardware. DriveClub has by far the more realistic lighting model, better shaders for depicting wet surfaces and a better rain/weather simulation.

Yep, DC looks close to real due to the amazing weather and lighting. PCars with all the high res textures still looks like a very good looking game. That is the real difference.

DC has raised the bar for the next batch of racers to come.

I wonder what the first proper "next gen" racing title will be for the PC will be. Dirt 4? NFS Rivals was very disappointing graphically.

GT7 needs to ditch the varied quality car nonsense. If you can't get all the cars up to snuff then leave them out. Having 800 cars doesn't mean a damn thing when 75% of them aren't up to spec with the hardware the game is running on. Quality over quantity.

It really shouldn't, 70% of my time on standards and i know am not alone.

Project CARS at full detail? Assetto Corsa?

They are impressive but have low budgets which hold them back. Assetto Corsa doesn't look as impressive as Pcars, amazing game though.

Obviously the PC has the capability to greatly surpass Driveclub's visuals, I just wonder how long it will take to come.

Sipheren

Banned
They are impressive but have low budgets which hold them back. Assetto Corsa doesn't look as impressive as Pcars, amazing game though.

It actually looks really good, most people I show it to like it better than pCars. Both these games on high settings can look very, very good. They may not have the rain effect or super high detail environments of DC but for sim racing games they are ace.

Have you seen that video of pCars that looks almost real? You don't need a massive budget to get correct lighting and textures....

Found it: http://youtu.be/SZS8RRT5v1c

(I am not trying to take down DC or anything, it's just people here seem to be a bit over critical of things)

Top Bottom