• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Mass Effect Concepts Shown at EA Press Conference

prag16

Banned
My money's been on early 2016 for awhile now, and this doesn't really do anything to change that. I thought late 2015 may have still been on the table, but at this point probably not.

Very disappointing "showing" though. Can't even call this a teaser. Call it a troll-er if anything. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The important thing is that fuck.

Lakitu

st5fu
At least the footage they showed looks sumptuous. Big environments and planets to explore? Exactly what I've wanted since the original. Bring it on (just give me a ME trilogy on PS4 until then).

Fractal

Banned
My money's been on early 2016 for awhile now, and this doesn't really do anything to change that. I thought late 2015 may have still been on the table, but at this point probably not.

Very disappointing "showing" though. Can't even call this a teaser. Call it a troll-er if anything. :(

Yeah... the EA conference was full of them. Really wanted to see some actual gameplay for new Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, and some info on Bioware's new IP.

After the big halo compilation (everyone saw that coming) I was hoping mass effect followed suit. And then this about mass effect 4. Disappointed.

All I'm gonna say is its real unfortunate they had Casey Hudson and Mac Walters presenting on screen for this after the shit they pulled with ME3. I don't have any interest in hearing PR about how awesome this will be from them.

prag16

Banned
All I'm gonna say is its real unfortunate they had Casey Hudson and Mac Walters presenting on screen for this after the shit they pulled with ME3. I don't have any interest in hearing PR about how awesome this will be from them.
LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE, right?

I too facepalmed hard when I saw those two onscreen.

Lakitu

st5fu
GW7rytQ.png

So, brand new galaxy? Interesting.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It's definitely farther along than you think. This is just Dragon Age's year.

Exactly what I was thinking, why bamboozle the Bioware masses - one huge IP at a time is the way to go if you want to build the right hype train.

Once Inquisition has launched and settled, it's Mass Effect time son.

Mindwipe

Yup, that was a very stupid idea. If you want to appeal to people you should be releasing trailers saying in fullscreen block capitals WE PROMISE WE'VE NOT LET THEM TOUCH THIS ONE.

royalan

Exactly what I was thinking, why bamboozle the Bioware masses - one huge IP at a time is the way to go if you want to build the right hype train.

Once Inquisition has launched and settled, it's Mass Effect time son.

I don't play Dragon's Age. I don't ever plan to, either.

But I love Mass Effect.

It never made sense to me why companies tend to think gamers are more fans of them and not their games.

Dragon's Age ain't doing shit but making me have to wait longer for the game I actually want to play. ;___;

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I don't play Dragon's Age. I don't ever plan to, either.

But I love Mass Effect.

It never made sense to me why companies tend to think gamers are more fans of them and not their games.

Dragon's Age ain't doing shit but making me have to wait longer for the game I actually want to play. ;___;

I hear you...but a lot of people are fans of both.

I personally have Mass Effect and Dragon Age as my #1 and #2 gaming franchises (in that order), so I'm happy for them to focus on Thedas prior to Krogan Glory.

Prediction: February 2016 release, delayed to May 2016 for more 'polish'.

Gammacide

I just really want a new Mass Effect game so to hear them talk about expanding everything and leaving the old behind them I am very pleased. I never played 3 and will have to at some point, but despite its technical difficulties, 1 is one of my favorite games of all-time. Hopefully they can conjure up that same magic once again and make everything feel new again.

I really like how they used music from the ME1 OST for their video. Jack Wall and Sam Hulick created a wonderful score. Here is hoping they are back for ME4.

Renekton

Yup, that was a very stupid idea. If you want to appeal to people you should be releasing trailers saying in fullscreen block capitals WE PROMISE WE'VE NOT LET THEM TOUCH THIS ONE.
Stop and think for a second. Casey directed the entire Mass Effect franchise including the first one. If he did a poor job, the franchise would have been dumpstered completely.

The reality now is, millions are dying to throw money to see more Quarian jiggly bums in 792p.

edit: come to think of it, Casey looks pretty emaciated in this video, I hope the fan bile hasn't affected his health

Astrates

My expanded thoughts from a now locked thread.

In the video they mention we will see new galaxies but assets look human etc. This suggests its definitely sequel as pre-reaper invasion the Mass Relays were locked as such. Then after they've been destroyed (I presume to they'll use this as canon) I imagine that it would take some time for new tech to come in to play as the various races dissect the surviving reaper tech.

This makes me want to play as an explorer heading out into the uncharted. Maybe a person who was a solider (allowing for combat that makes sense) but now wants a more fulfilling life and to explore. I think I'm basically saying I want Firefly. Just people heading out and making money where they can

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I guess they're going with a new galaxy. I can appreciate it's the arguably the safest/best concept for avoiding post-trilogy lore issues and providing players with something new, but it's also a bit disappointing for me. I really just wanted them to pick/construct a canon and use the trilogy as a template to move the galaxy as we know it forward. Something about meeting new, space faring species in the Milky Way that just hadn't come in contact with Citadel space excites me a lot more than "you go to a new galaxy so there's new stuff".

It's definitely farther along than you think. This is just Dragon Age's year.

The last time any major news came out (a couple weeks back), it was a tweet that said they were finally beginning to have story meetings.

I don't see this out before late 2015/early 2016, at best.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I guess they're going with a new galaxy. I can appreciate it's the arguably the safest/best concept for avoiding post-trilogy lore issues and providing players with something new, but it's also a bit disappointing for me. I really just wanted them to pick/construct a canon and use the trilogy as a template to move the galaxy as we know it forward. Something about meeting new, space faring species in the Milky Way that just hadn't come in contact with Citadel space excites me a lot more than "you go to a new galaxy so there's new stuff".

I am with you. But we are still a long ways off, we will see how it turns out.

How far in the future would this have to be for the species from the MW in ME3 to be able to get to, then colonize another galaxy? Seems like it would have to be thousands of years after ME3. Especially if they wanted any of the worlds to have any history at all or any culture and not be fresh colonies.

Clefargle

Break my heart once, shame on me....Do it twice and shame on you Bioware...Please don't fumble the story at the very end of this series....please...:/

And? That's not really early development. 18 months out give or take isn't that far off.

If it means they're going to rush it, I'd rather they take an extra six months and avoid another ME3 situation.

The only things we know are that they have a few concepts and are just beginning to hash out the story. Expecting to have it for fall 2015 is very presumptuous, especially when it was a situation similar to this (EA rushing them for a fall release date) that caused ME3 to have issues.

Assuming it's another Galaxy in a timeline after the trilogy...

Will we still have relays, biotics, omnitools and all that stuff? I thought that was a product of Reaper-influenced technology, seems a bit weird if it's pervasive in another galaxy as well.

Bioware also polled people about their feelings for N7, so it seems there's still a link with the spec ops of the Milky Way. If the hero character hails from our galaxy, lore issues will be unavoidable (is he/she synthesised, why not call Shepard-controlled Reapers to solve the problem, etc.)

Simzyy

Here are some screenshots I took. Couldn't find any decent quality ones.

j0qI4Vm.jpg

HvhpYBy.jpg

dZbCl8C.jpg

Wua7yNi.jpg

EPKE1yw.jpg

igH6qRd.jpg

EDIT: I just saw this on Reddit too. Prothean?

1jsncZT.jpg

bishopp35

What I want most form Bioware with this game is that if they are making another trilogy they should plan ahead to avoid writing themselves into a corner. Whatever endgame this new trilogy game is supposed to have should be clear when they begin to write this new game. If it is not a planned trilogy then don’t leave cliffhangers or wildly different world states that might affect future games.

Marvel

could never
Ever since they dumped the original slim designs of the first game, awkward heavy military armor has taken over. It's definitely annoying.

I'm sure (hope lol) there will be nice and slim designs.

Bring back mah Onyx Adept armor BioWare!

EatChildren

I haven't check the video yet, did they talk about timeline?

They talked about basically nothing specific. Closest we got was Casey Hudson saying:

"One of the things we did when we were starting to work on the new Mass Effect game was asking the fans what they want - the fans told us that they wanted to go somewhere new...and to move forward"

oneils

The video gave me the feeling that this new game will have more of an open world feel to it. Hope that's true. Would love to see some more randomness and bigger maps with more exploration.

EA pressed was an f**kin mess. Showing off concept art and documentaries of your project better not become a trend at E3. Mass Effect and Star Wars Battlefront reveal were dumb.

Madness

Remember in the first game how everyone except humanity was scared to venture into the Attican Traverse? And that the Citadel forces rarely went into the Terminus systems and that a lot of the Milky Way wasn't able to be reached. Now we're in new galaxies altogether? Especially after the end of the Mass Relays?

It's just me, but after ME1 and mostly ME2 I've really been disappointed with the story altogether. Completely ruined how I felt at the end of ME1 or at the start of ME2. This is all being done by an entirely new studio in Montreal too.

Top Bottom