• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Mass Effect Concepts Shown at EA Press Conference

prag16

Banned
I guess they're going with a new galaxy. I can appreciate it's the arguably the safest/best concept for avoiding post-trilogy lore issues and providing players with something new, but it's also a bit disappointing for me. I really just wanted them to pick/construct a canon and use the trilogy as a template to move the galaxy as we know it forward. Something about meeting new, space faring species in the Milky Way that just hadn't come in contact with Citadel space excites me a lot more than "you go to a new galaxy so there's new stuff".
You got that out of the 2 minute E3 showing? They never said "new galaxy". They said new region of space. They also never said anything indicating they'll *completely* toss out ME 1-3 lore.

Unless of course there were comments made outside of that short presentation which I missed. But otherwise why is everybody running with this "new galaxy" assumption?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
They talked about nothing. Just said " new galaxy " and maybe new characters. That's about it.

They didn't say that at all....

Casey Hudson mentioned "...to go somewhere new, and to move forward"
This could mean anything, but I get the feeling it's definitely a sequel, and from the N7 armor, it's obviously got human/earth ties to the main character (or a squadmate...I guess).

The French-Canadian Dev then said "New places, New Characters, um..New People to fall in love with" - this in no way suggest it's outside the Milky Way, but does indeed suggest we're going into 'new places' which is great!

Casey then added "..we're taking you to a whole new region of space" - this again, pushes the exploration tip, and in my opinion, just means we're going to one of the many unexplored regions of the Milky Way (and beyond possibly).

The fact that the main featured possible protagonist is wearing Earth-made N7 armor says to me that it is definitely in part at least, based in our Galaxy....but who is to say it doesn't expand to another via a Galaxy to Galaxy dormant undamaged relay?

Loving what I'm seeing so far anyway, and to me they are saying all the right things at this stage, can't wait.

Complistic

If I had to guess, I'm going to guess it's about making contact with the now fractured universe and the politics and situations each group finds themselves in now that the relays are destroyed.

Espi

Banned
I thought EA conference was stupid, but that one minute of Mass Effect was probably my favorite part of E3.

The screens made it look like it might be a return to ME1, combined with them using ME1s superior music makes me think it's more than just false hope.

while I would have wanted more at least I know a little of the direction they're going in.

Patryn

This franchise deserves more respect when it comes to producing a showing at E3

damn u EA

The likely reason it had a showing like that was to respect Dragon Age... and it appears as though EA had jack shit else to show off. If they had other games, I doubt we would have even gotten that much.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
After that "teaser", N7 day looks so far away.... :( Hopefully we'll get a real teaser trailer by then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The likely reason it had a showing like that was to respect Dragon Age... and it appears as though EA had jack shit else to show off. If they had other games, I doubt we would have even gotten that much.
Yeah the conference felt like they went "We can't just show sports, Dragon Age, and Battlefield!", "But nothing else is ready!", "I don't care!".

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I you watch the replay, the galaxy map (or whatever it is) as it expands around the character... it pretty much is the Milky Way - the galactic core is a bit muffed but.

If it's in another galaxy, I would bet all my monies that it at least starts here in the Milky Way, and then expands to another galaxy (allowing for the featured Krogan/Human to mix with all new varieties of beasties).

Pryce

Jesus Christ this thread.

I'm just thrilled that we're getting a new Mass Effect, and the fact that it could be open galaxy. Like people in here were expecting a full reveal with gameplay and release date.

Patryn

Jesus Christ this thread.

I'm just thrilled that we're getting a new Mass Effect, and the fact that it could be open galaxy. Like people in here were expecting a full reveal with gameplay and release date.

Until recently, some people were holding out hope for a Jan-March 2015 release date.

Casey Hudson mentioned "...to go somewhere new, and to move forward"
This could mean anything, but I get the feeling it's definitely a sequel, and from the N7 armor, it's obviously got human/earth ties to the main character (or a squadmate...I guess).

The French-Canadian Dev then said "New places, New Characters, um..New People to fall in love with" - this in no way suggest it's outside the Milky Way, but does indeed suggest we're going into 'new places' which is great!

Casey then added "..we're taking you to a whole new region of space" - this again, pushes the exploration tip, and in my opinion, just means we're going to one of the many unexplored regions of the Milky Way (and beyond possibly).

The fact that the main featured possible protagonist is wearing Earth-made N7 armor says to me that it is definitely in part at least, based in our Galaxy....but who is to say it doesn't expand to another via a Galaxy to Galaxy dormant undamaged relay?

Loving what I'm seeing so far anyway, and to me they are saying all the right things at this stage, can't wait.

That's semantics, though. At the end of the day, we don't know anything more than they have a mock-up prototype (which could mean anything - you can hack something together in a month if you feel like it), and that they've only just started getting into story beats/writing in the last month or so.

Besides, they said a lot of similar hype statements prior to ME3's release, and we all know what happened there. I really do believe this is one of those situations where they shouldn't have said anything. Better that they come out guns-a-blazing with a gameplay trailer than to have little dribs and drabs that say nothing at all. I'm a fan too, but after a certain point, you have to realize that people can only be pushed so far by a developer before they start calling them on their press-baiting statements.

Mindlog

Hey.
tinc4qK.jpg

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Probably the biggest letdown of E3 for me personally.

I came for Master Chief Collection and ME4. At least the MCC more than delivered.

I was more excited when those earlier ME4 "leaks" came out a few months ago than this, um, "teaser".

They never said new galaxy. Why people are running with this assumption is beyond me.
I'm guessing it will be new areas of the Milky Way galaxy and maybe we'll eventually travel to another galaxy or even another dimension/universe.

Since the milky way is free from Reaper designed evolution of tech, it's not hard to imagine the races finding a way to travel to different galaxies.

At least I hope that's what they mean by new places. New galaxies means new advanced races and new foes.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
But they played Uncharted Worlds map music so it's okay.

This. I fucking love that song.

I'm hoping the ME4 development team takes a look at No Man's Sky. I don't know much about the gameplay of the latter, but the way it handles exploration is something I was hoping for in the ME series for a long while.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Since the milky way is free from Reaper designed evolution of tech, it's not hard to imagine the races finding a way to travel to different galaxies.

At least I hope that's what they mean by new places. New galaxies means new advanced races and new foes.
Unless the Reapers had done the same in other nearby galaxies. It wouldn't be surprising considering they slumbered in intergalactic space.

Visiting another galaxy would be interesting. Most space opera sci-fi takes place only in the Milky Way and this would be a change of pace.

Parallel universes are not out of the question either.

What has me curious is if this does take place in the future, how will ME3's outcome effect it? Because everyone remembers what happens to all life under some choices. I kind of like Brassdragon's idea that during the Reaper War, the Council sending a fleet of ark ships to another galaxy to save the races.

"Hey guys! Yeah Mass Effect 4 is happening! But we won't show it or tell you anything. Anyway, we're making a new IP, we'll show you later I guess"

Man, EA had the worst conference. Barely any game was shown and the dev documentaries were boring as hell.

I'm fine with going to a new galaxy, we had three games in the previous Citadel space setting.

I want to feel that sense of discovery again like with ME1. While it'd be perfectly achievable in the established universe of the trilogy if done right, I think having an all new setting is an equally effective way to recreate that feeling.

On another note I actually like it when games get a gradual reveal; getting details revealed piecemeal between the reveal and the release. It keeps me more hyped than seeing a chunk of info in a reveal trailer then nothing until closer to release. (Though who knows if that is what Bioware's intention is).

LastNac

Damn Krogan are so resilient...

I'm really hoping for an all new galaxy. The thought of seeing
green eyes everywhere unnerves
me. A new galaxy is the best way to do it.

royalan

Damn Krogan are so resilient...

I'm really hoping for an all new galaxy. The thought of seeing
green eyes everywhere unnerves
me. A new galaxy is the best way to do it.

My only concern with going to a new galaxy is that, from a lore standpoint, how do they explain it? Intergalactic travel is beyond even Reaper tech as far as we know. The distance between galaxies is just so vast. Not only would there have to be a monumental jump in tech, what reason would the citadel races have to want to jump galaxies? The vast majority if the Milky Way Galaxy remains unexplored.

If telling a decent, consistent story is still the goal here, then a new galaxy wouldn't make much sense.

Intergalactic travel is beyond even Reaper tech as far as we know. .

Is it? They were immortal beings who lived for eons, surely they could have sent a scout or two anywhere and have them build relays on whatever frontier they found?

They have twisted the lore in far more radical ways before.

If this game's events aren't set after ME3 it's going to be disappointing. Prequels almost always end up feeling lame because you know where things are going to end up going. If they think they are avoiding the controversy by making it a prequel to ME3, they are wrong. They need to move the series forward.

Also, who knows if it is going to be set before ME3, but I think early on when word got out that BioWare Montreal was working on the next Mass Effect, it sounded like that was the case.

Top Bottom