• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo DS: Camera, Music Playback and confirmed by Nikkei

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Regulus Tera said:
I see this announcement as somewhat equivalent to every mobile phone these days having an integrated camera. Maybe Nintendo wants to set the standard in mobile gaming too?

Maybe but its not like people dont already have cameras on their phones to begin with. It isnt really that big of a deal. The DS New only games are the problem.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Camera? Larger screen? More resolutions? I say "Pfft" to all that. Once I was able to use my DS to order beers and nachos at a Mariners game I knew I had the ultimate handheld. ;p

as for new hardware i suppose why not.
Apple update their hardware every year with next to no changes. Maybe Iwata thinks he can do the same (Aluminium case on my DS please)

Also if there is a new DS with new features i expect a slew of games from Nintendo for it

Hcoregamer00 said:
Edit: Oh, it is an update for the DS instead of DS2 :lol

Phew! That was close! For a moment there, I thought they weren't going to implement Gamecube-level graphics and DLC games!

They won't ever, will they...

neo2046 said:
I have no idea who that site is but seeing everyones reaction all I can say is this:

Yay.

No really...YAY!!!

I am excited for this. I usually take both my DS and PSP with me but now with pictures and music I can take one system with me most of the time.

And well...I'm a sucker for redisigns :lol

And bigger screen sounds really nice.

Hopefully by some odd chance it comes in NA this year aswell.

[Nintex]

Hero said:
What the fuck? Really? Guess this just took some steam from Nintendo's conference next week.
It seems that Nintendo is going to turn 2009 into another epic year, the Wii Motion Plus and new DS both supplied with a slate of new games is my guess.

Eteric Rice

OH FUCK, BOTH PSP AND DS GETTING NEW DESIGNS?!

FUCK, WE'RE DEAD!

WE'RE ALL DEAD!

KISS YOUR ASSES GOODBYE GUYS! THE END IS NEAR!

But seriously, now I won't have to buy an Ipod.

I can't say I find these additions appealing or useful but if the form factor improves and if it uses higher quality screens, day one.

edit: Though I should add that I don't think Nintendo can improve much on either fronts. The DSLite is near perfect as is in my opinion. The only thing I'd change is to make the shell anodized aluminum.

MoogPaul

Portable VC games and not having to turn the damn thing off when I want to change a game would be nice. Plus an operating system that wasn't completely bare bones.

The PSP sells as a portable media device/monster hunter player and doesn't really move software. DS moves software... make it a media player and squash the PSP. That's how I would think of it anyway.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Perfect timing. My DS Lite broke (Hinge) and was relegated to using my wife's. Not a fun time. I was going to purchase a new one, but something told me to wait until the Oct 2 conference was complete. Glad I did so.

-nk-

This is kinda crazy, why does this news appear now? Four days before Nintendos conference?
I mean when the DS was first shown to the public at E3 2004 there was a leak by USAToday a few hours earlier, but those were just a few hours. This here is a different story, four days!

Are Yamauchis ninjas on vacation?

-nk- said:
This is kinda crazy, why does this news appear now? Four days before Nintendos conference?
I mean when the DS was first shown to the public at E3 2004 there was a leak by USAToday a few hours earlier, but those were just a few hours. This here is a different story, four days!

Exactly - four days before the conference. Leaks like this happen.

[Nintex]

-nk- said:

Just setting the stage for a great conference is my guess. They might even change their financial forecasts just before the conference in order to let NTDOY stock rise to heaven.

I'm so curious to see what this looks like. :D

I also can't wait to see what type of games Nintendo dreams up with any camera compatibility.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
neoanarch said:
I hope there is a portable VC announcement. You know if they want more of my money.
<insert hyper-winking smiley>

Rpgmonkey

JohnTinker said:
Is there a translation available of the Nikkei news article?

It's nothing that hasn't already been said.

Just some stuff about it having a camera and it having some use in games, mentions its worldwide sales, the music playback, the wireless, it being supposed to released this year, etc.

JohnTinker said:
Is there a translation available of the Nikkei news article?
Just for you.

The version that's up now:

Nintendo will release a new model of the Nintendo DS portable game machine this year. For the first time, it will include a camera and music playback functionality. The wireless functionality of the machine will also be strengthened, allowing it to connect to "information terminals."* Since the DS was released 4 years ago, it has sold 77,000,000 units worldwide. It seems as if the new model will go outside the boundaries of the "game business" to compete with devices like cell phones.

Images that you take with the camera could be used by games. The music playback function will be able to take music from CDs and other sources and play it back.

The print version in the photograph adds this paragraph:

The price of the new model, like the current 16,800 yen [DS Lite], will be under 20,000 yen. It will first be released in Japan, and overseas releases are under consideration.

*The other version of the article, which is only available as a screencap in the OP apparently, says that these terminals will allow users to find nearby train stations or restaurants, or download news and other such content.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Well I skipped the DS Lite so perhaps I'll pick this one up instead. But still, larger screen? How is that a plus?

The M.O.B

Shouldn't someone(neo) make a new thread since it is now confirmerd?. I skipped over this thread a bunch of times thinking it was just another rumor as i'm sure others have. Get the word out that it's true/

CTLance

I'm still not sure whether to believe this.

Oh well, I guess we'll know either way soon.
*Pats his phat DS* Don't worry, I won't let anyone hurt ya...

Once again, not surprising. People don't want singular function portable devices anymore; they want their all in one computer in a pocket. With the PSP's functionality and Apple sneaking into the gaming space through the back door, Nintendo had no choice but to turn their attention to expanding their portable's feature set. Dragged kicking and screaming, no doubt. :lol

I was wondering how we'd see and mock the 90s once we built enough distance from it; how the old men of 2050 would reminisce about their good old days. Undoubtedly, both will reflect on a time when a calculator was a calculator, a phone was a phone, a map was an unwieldy piece of paper, a camera was a camera and a Game Boy was a Game Boy.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So is the "larger screen" confirmed too? Or could that still be fluff attached to a true rumor? It still seems really strange to me....

Gaborn

Wired has the Nikkei story with a little more information, not sure if much of it is NEW but this bit caught my eye:

The online version of the story omits a line that is present in a photograph of the print story, which says that the new model will cost less than 20,000 yen (about $188). The DS Lite costs 16,800 yen ($158) in Japan.

Nikkei says the new model will go on sale in Japan first, this year, and that a U.S. release is "being considered."

And there might be more to this new model -- another version of the Nikkei report, since removed, apparently ran on a site called Monex and said that the hardware would have larger screens and be able to transfer data from the Wii or an SD card.

So apparently the larger screen may or may not be in, and the price may or may not be certain.

grandjedi6 said:
So is the "larger screen" confirmed too? Or could that still be fluff attached to a true rumor? It still seems really strange to me....
That is actually in the version of the story that somebody screencapped off of Monex -- it's in the last paragraph of the second photo in the OP.

But since the versions that are actually online don't corroborate it, I'm not willing to say for sure that it's in there. Seems very likely though.

Polari

Fuck this, I don't want bigger I want smaller. Give me a DS that's Macbook Air thin and then we'll talk. I don't want another shitty MP3 player or camera either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hope this isn't Nintendo's only big announcement for next week

Polari said:
Fuck this, I don't want bigger I want smaller. Give me a DS that's Macbook Air thin and then we'll talk. I don't want another shitty MP3 player or camera either.

Making it as thing as the Macbook Air would be terrible. The ergonomics of the DS Lite are already messy as is, just making it even more thin would make actually using it to play games worse, especially those that require holding it with one hand.

Gaborn

charlequin said:
What about that SD card/download games from the Wii business in the OP?

According to the wired story I linked above that's from the Monex story, not Nikkei so it's not confirmed yet.

charlequin said:
Like the bit about larger screens, it's only in the version on Monex.

The Monex story *is* the Nikkei story, it's just got an extra paragraph.

There's a very logical explanation for all this, by the way -- newspaper stories are written in inverted pyramid style, with all the most important information at the top, so that they can be easily trimmed for length by cutting off as many paragraphs as the outlet needs to. So it's more than likely that the fourth paragraph in the Monex version of the story is totally legit -- I'd just be careful until a version of the story with that information is actually live.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
charlequin said:

The original post only said "transfer data" -- never did it say "transfer games".

Top Bottom