• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen LIVE and PSN,, how MS and Sony will take those platforms to the next level

KAL2006

Banned
When PS3 and 360 launched the biggest feature about those systems were Live and PSN. There has been a lot of discussion in NeoGAF about nextgen systems performance and next gen systems games. I thought it would be a nice change if we discuss next gen PSN and Live, after all these were the biggest platforms this gen. PS3 and 360 launched before the age of smartphones/tablets, before social networking like Facebook and Twitter was as huge deal. And before YouTube channels had a huge following. Looking at market trends and how the online landscape has changed in the recent years. This is how I think Sony and MS will push PSN and Live for the next generation. I think Live and PSN will be just as important as the huge performance upgrade of the next gen systems.

Automatic updating, always online, sleep mode, usabilityWith PSN and Live I expect the systems to be always online (not mandatory) and even when the system is off (sleep mode). With the system always online, games can be automatically patched in the background, firmware of system can be automatically updated while the system is in sleep mode. Always online will provide better usability and their won't be a need to wait to do something on the system, basically accessing content in a instant. Similar to smartphones and tablets. Sleep mode will help enable this, as well as play as you download a game which was shown in the PS4 event. Imagine you are in the middle of playing Assassins Creed, mid mission you can put the system on sleep, then you can carry on where you left off in an instant when you turn the stystem on. I am also sure they will offer better multitasking, such as switching to Netflix mid game.

Expanded Profile, Activity feed, SocialFacebook and Twitter has changed everything in this day and age, and I expect PSN and Live to follow the trend of social networking. On the PS4 conference we know that profiles will be expanded (such as using real names which is optional). I don't expect Facebook and Twitter to be integrated into the online ecosystem itself, perhaps an option to transfer personal details and find friends from these social networks. After all it would be annoying to see game activity updates on your Facebook feeds (this will just be optional, such as user gets a choice to share something on Facebook from PS4). I expect everyone's profile to have a activity feed, which you can like and comment on. However I also expect to see a profile page for each game, before you launch it (similar to LiveArea on Vita). On a games profile page, you will see all your friends activity feed on that game, as well as game announcements and store links. Here you can do matchmaking, check high scores, chat and etc without the need to launch the game. Imagine being able to see if you friend beat your lap time on Forza without the need to bother starting the game. Finally I also expect users being able to follow eachother without friending. Imagine following the game devs themselves and seeing their activity feed, and having their details come up on leaderboards and etc.

Digital games, Indie games, PSN, XBLA, Apps
Steam, Indie games, XBLA and PSN has been a huge success this gen, I expect both Sony and MS to push harder with digital games. All games will now be able to be bought digitally. We will see more Indie games coming to PSN, XBLA, we can already see that Sony is trying really hard already. I expect the digital games to be more like Steam where MS and Sony will be more open to Indie game submissions. I also expects apps to get popular on consoles, so we will get more than just Netflix, a whole range of apps. Perhaps MS will integrate Windows 8 Appstore to be compatible with Durango. Though personally I expect only video streaming apps to be popular on the consoles. Most people just prefer to use apps on their smartphones, though I expect SOny and MS to give an option for easy submission of apps for these systems, but I just cannot see it taking off like they have on smartphones and tablets.

Video sharing, Livestream
YouTube channels for game video sharing is hugely popular. I expect Sony and MS to make this even more mainstream by making it easy to share videos (as already seen by PS4 conference). Look at how many people have uploaded killstreak, speedruns, combo videos. It's obvious gamers like these things. Not only for uploading but for watching each others videos. Hell I already have casual friends who brag about their FIFA online matches they had with their friends by taking a picture of the final score with their camera phone, and then uploading it on Facebook. Imagine now not only can you upload a video of the whole match and share it on Facebook for everyone to see. I can see this take off and be hugely popular. Finally lets not forget about Livestreaminmg which we can see it is popular on TwitchTV with live tournaments and etc. Hell imagine you and a buddy are having an online match on FIFa, and you can invite other friends to come watch the game live.

Smartphone App
Smartphones have taken over our lives, and I imagine this will be the big feature to take PSN and Live to the next level. It allows users to always be connected to Live and PSN even when away from the systems. The smartphone app will allow the above features like watching livestreams and shared videos be more useful. Imagine two of your buddies are having a online FIFA match, you can be somewhere else and watch a Livestream of thier match from your smartphone. Of course you will also have access to all the uploaded/shared videos on your smartphone. You will have access to peoples profiles, game profiles, activity feed and etc. Where you can check leaderboards, comment, message and etc. Basically all the things you can do on the systems themselves can be done away from the system from your smartphone (save for playing a game). You can also browse the store and remote download, so when you get back home the game has already downloaded and installed ready to play. Not only do I expect a Smartphone app for PSN and Live features. But a Smartphone App for the games themselves. We have already seen developers commenting about this. For example with Drive Club, you can create race challenges on your phone and send them to your friends. Or on Pro Evo where you can set your tactics, formation of your team, all ready set uptor your profile, so when you do play with your friend when you get to your console you are already set up.

Remote Play
With Wii U this is already possible. And with Vita this will happen for PS4 as well. Imagine being abole to play COD, Diablo, Elder Scrolls, in bed just before go to sleep. Perhaps Sony will offer this over WiFi, as well so imagine being able to carry on with your game at work over your works WiFi network (though their could be lag with this). I reckon even MS will over thing on Windows 8 tablets by allowing you to pair your controller to your tablet.

Izick

Good write-up!

Honestly, one of the major reasons I could still see myself getting the next Xbox over the PS4 (before we see all the exclusives from both companies) is due to Live. Sony is making some really amazing steps forward with the PS4's online stuff, the share button for one is a stroke of genius, but Microsoft has almost never let me down in the past in terms of features, stability, or just usability. The UI is better (I don't care about them having ads; they're probably going to both have ads anyway if the PS4 UI stuff is any indication) on the 360, and I'm sure they're doing a huge overhaul for the Nextox anyway.

I'm going to wait and see, but the features of Live and the dashboard is one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to seeing on the 21st.

KAL2006

Banned
Good write-up!

Honestly, one of the major reasons I could still see myself getting the next Xbox over the PS4 (before we see all the exclusives from both companies) is due to Live. Sony is making some really amazing steps forward with the PS4's online stuff, the share button for one is a stroke of genius, but Microsoft has almost never let me down in the past in terms of features, stability, or just usability. The UI is better (I don't care about them having ads; they're probably going to both have ads anyway if the PS4 UI stuff is any indication) on the 360, and I'm sure they're doing a huge overhaul for the Nextox anyway.

I'm going to wait and see, but the features of Live and the dashboard is one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to seeing on the 21st.

I think PS4 and Durango in terms of online features and OS will now be on a more even playing field. If one company has something over the other it most likely won't be a big deal. All the main features I mentioned in the OP I can see happening on both systems.

Top Bottom