• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 and 10 available November 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.
via The Verge

wNGgA.png

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569540/google-nexus-4-preview-price-release-date

Google's has officially announced the Nexus 4, the latest phone in its Nexus line of flagship Android devices. Built by LG, the phone features a 4.7-inch 1280 x 768 IPS display, a 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor — which Google claims is the fastest on the market — an 8 megapixel camera and a 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera, and up to 16GB of storage. Oh, and the back is made of glass — etched, layered glass that sparkles with a strange, almost holographic depth.

Not much of that should be surprising, as the phone had been thoroughly leaked around the web in the past few weeks. What is surprising is how much better it all looks in person. Compared to the LG Optimus G, which shares many of the same components, it's no contest - the Nexus 4 is a far nicer piece of hardware. It feels weighty and high-end, and the tight construction combined with the soft-touch plastic on the sides and chrome edging give it a solidly executive vibe - a vibe that's balanced nicely by the playfulness of Disco City on the back.

The device will sell for $299 with 8GB of storage, or $349 with 16GB. A T-Mobile version will sell unlocked for $199 on a two-year contract. Alongside the improved screen and faster CPU, the Nexus 4 has 2GB of RAM, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, NFC, Bluetooth, and built-in compatibility with Google's latest accessory, the Wireless Charging Orb - an inductive dock. The phone also houses a sizable 2100 mAh battery, which the company claims will get you about 10 hours of talk time.

All that battery life would be great if the device was sporting LTE radios - but it is not. Google has decided to forgo stricter carrier partnerships in the US, which for now means that the company will only offer the device as an unlocked HSPA+ phone. That's a bit of a crushing blow to many, who expected Google's next flagship phone to go toe-to-toe with the iPhone 5 and the latest crop of Windows Phone devices.

fxuav.png

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3568784/nexus-10-preview-price-release-date

Google has officially unveiled the new Nexus 10 tablet running Android 4.2. Built by Samsung but clearly designed by Google, the tablet features a very impressive 10-inch screen at 2560 x 1600 resolution, clocking in at 300ppi. Google calls it "True RGB Real Stripe PLS," and in our short time with the tablet we found it to be on par with the iPad's Retina display, with sharp text, excellent color fidelity, and great viewing angles.

It will come in 16GB or 32GB variants and will be Wi-Fi only. The processor behind the tablet is a powerful dual-core ARM Cortex-A15 chip paired with 2GB of RAM, likely of the Samsung Exynos variety, with a quad-core Mali T604 GPU inside — and combined with the speed improvements of Android 4.2 we were hard-pressed to see any sort of lag when swiping around the interface. There's a 5-megapixel camera around back if you're into taking photos with your tablet and a 1.9-megapixel front-facing camera. The battery has a 9,000mAh capacity, which Google says should be good for up to 9 hours of HD video playback, and likely forms the bulk of the 604 gram weight of the device. It also features dual, front-facing speakers for audio, microUSB, Micro HDMI and not one but two NFC chips, one on the front and one on the back.

In terms of hardware, you could say it's a distant cousin to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, but that would be underserving the level of build-quality here. The rear of the tablet is a soft-touch plastic that's remarkably grippy, allowing us to hold the tablet horizontally with one hand even though it has a 16:10 aspect ratio. True to the leaks we'd seen before, the tablet has rounded corners and the edges are also not exactly straight, with gentle curves that make the whole thing feel less squarish than most tablets.

Video of both: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=66-4uMQqerA

Nexus 4 starting at $299 and Nexus 10 starting at $399.

Good thing I skipped the G Nexus. This thing looks nicer.

How much unlocked? I see it comes with T Mobile so I may take it up on that.

Kwhit10

I was definitely looking to get an unlocked phone and go with a straight talk plan in the coming months. I will most likely be getting the Nexus 4.

Pctx

Banned
Android fanboys crying about storage and no microSD as usual; Aside from that, the phone looks and sounds great. The only problem for me is... its made by LG. :/

Android fanboys crying about storage and no microSD as usual; Aside from that, the phone looks and sounds great. The only problem for me is... its made by LG. :/

I'm in the exact
opposite
boat. My bad luck with Samsung products and subsequent good luck with LG products has me willing to jump all over this phone.

To my understanding (and I admit, I've never used a LG product before), the biggest problem I hear with LG phones is not the hardware, but software. But since Google is the one behind the driving wheel here, I'm not really worrying.

That Nexus 10 look so much better than the leaks. And at 399, it's quite a steal.

Shame about the no LTE for Nexus 4, but I will get it for Tmobile so HSPA+ is enough. And at 299 unlocked, it sounds great!

FinKL

No LTE?

T-Mobile will be getting it early 2012, while the other 3 already have it.

Can't argue that $300 price tag though. Cheapest Highest end & unlocked phone i've EVER seen. Comparing against the previous Nexi, iPhones, Galaxies.

I know how Nexus 4 doesn`t have 4G but at $299 unlocked and no contract, it has 100% potential to be the mass budget phone and very likely it will.

£319 UK price for the Nexus 10 16GB is a great price, very tempted but the GF is getting a 32GB 7 for Xmas so ill give that a try first.

Is there even a market for these? I'm not questioning the quality of the products (which is pretty fucking sweet), but who are they selling these to? Most consumers in the US don't buy phones off contract and will likely notice the lack of LTE. Are these strictly for "nerds"?

GavinGT

Banned
Is there even a market for these? I'm not questioning the quality of the products (which is pretty fucking sweet), but who are they selling these to? Most consumers in the US don't buy phones off contract and will likely notice the lack of LTE. Are these strictly for "nerds"?

Prepaid is on the rise. And $300 for the best spec phone on the market is very appealing.

Cipherr

The people that buy it on T-Mobile, where it will be sold on contract, developers who want a modern dev phone without paying $700 for an S3 or something with ridiculously locked bootloaders, folks overseas where LTE isn't common, the prepaid market (which is huge on its own), and the nerds/people who really want vanilla Android. Plenty enough to justify releasing them.

Ashhong

Why are people so excited about the off contract price? Are the non-contract monthly plans a lot cheaper or something (not including prepaid plans)? I guess it's good for people who are in the middle of their contracts. They can sell whatever phone they have and buy this at a minimal loss.

Hm...I might start doing that. Buy the iPhone, then the next year sell it and probably buy a Nexus at a profit, then iPhone with contract the next year. Genius.

Also, that back is hideous. And is that tablet pic photoshopped/stretched? Cause goddamn wtf is that

DarkFlow

Banned
Why are people so excited about the off contract price? Are the non-contract monthly plans a lot cheaper or something (not including prepaid plans)? I guess it's good for people who are in the middle of their contracts. They can sell whatever phone they have and buy this at a minimal loss.

Hm...I might start doing that. Buy the iPhone, then the next year sell it and probably buy a Nexus at a profit, then iPhone with contract the next year. Genius.

Also, that back is hideous. And is that tablet pic photoshopped/stretched? Cause goddamn wtf is that
$30 a month on t mobile for 100 mins, 5gb data and unlimited text. Then 10 cents a min after you use up your 100. So yeah, way cheaper.

Ashhong

GroveIP, make calls over your data plan. I don't talk on the phone much anyway so I almost never use my mins.

Yea I guess there is a market for some to use that. In my mind though, I can imagine 100 minute limit scaring a lot of people off. Even if you don't talk on the phone much, that limit is always going to be in the back of your mind. Similar to how some people prefer to have unlimited data even though they only use like 2gb a month.

DarkFlow

Banned
Yea I guess there is a market for some to use that. In my mind though, I can imagine 100 minute limit scaring a lot of people off. Even if you don't talk on the phone much, that limit is always going to be in the back of your mind. Similar to how some people prefer to have unlimited data even though they only use like 2gb a month.
Yeah I thought it might be a problem too at first, but I've found I've only gotten down to 8 mins left in a month once, and it warned me before hand. Also at 10 cents a min after, you could really pay $10 more for 100 mins and still come out cheaper then a contract. I have $5 bucks in my account as backup that I have yet to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom