• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 5 |OT| - A Fraud’s Hankering for Some Bites

Hammer24

Banned
zKxm1za.jpg

You know what is not beautiful? The Netherlands. I'm forfeiting my Dutch nationality.

You think Czech Republic would take you?

Don't really think it is a huge deal...they don't want to open it up to every player who has a good cause they want to support. The league fucks up a lot, I'm not really upset over this one though.

This isn't just a good cause though, it's a cause that the league officially supports, shows ads about, sells a fuckton of merchandise for, let the man wear his pink boots for fucks sake.

jakncoke

Banned
Antonio Brown had a 5-50 streak for 35 games nearly double 2nd place all time. Then vick showed up. Im still certain Brown fucked Vicks wife with how little he gets targeted

gutshot

Eagles are the 4th best team in football according to that metric.

OK

Apparently FPI is still factoring in preseason performance into their ratings, although I'm not sure how heavily that is influencing it at this point. But it was why the Eagles were still favored to win the NFC East at 1-3 and 0-2 in the division.

eznark

Banned
Apparently FPI is still factoring in preseason performance into their ratings, although I'm not sure how heavily that is influencing it at this point. But it was why the Eagles were still favored to win the NFC East at 1-3 and 0-2 in the division.

Wait....what?!? It factors in PRESEASON?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:jnc Please, that can't be true.

eznark

Banned

I legitimately cannot stop laughing at this. Oh my god.

Respect

This isn't just a good cause though, it's a cause that the league officially supports, shows ads about, sells a fuckton of merchandise for, let the man wear his pink boots for fucks sake.

But where do you draw the line? Another player wants to wear something to show his support on the fight against childhood cancers like leukemia, but the league says no. So just because the league doesn't devote a month to this cause he should be denied? Is it therefore a lesser cause? That doesn't send a good message.

BigAT

"Gentlemen, you saw how much attention PFF got for their awful Aaron Rodgers rating.

We need something stupider."

But where do you draw the line? Another player wants to wear something to show his support on the fight against childhood cancers like leukemia, but the league says no. So just because the league doesn't devote a month to this cause he should be denied? Is it therefore a lesser cause? That doesn't send a good message.

They can wriggle out of everything else by spouting some crap about sponsors. That doesn't fly for the breast cancer awareness stuff though, as that is all officially sanctioned kit and accessories.

They're happy to stick Williams in front of a camera and use his mother's death to make the NFL look good but he's shit out of luck if he expects them to pretend they care for more than a month.

Holy shit.

Godslay

Banned

Generally more data points is a good thing for predictive analytics. Yes, that even applies for preseason games. It just depends on how the model is built to incorporate that preseason data and how it eventually fades it out over the course of the season as the data becomes stale.

ELO is doing similar things in that it takes a prior season and uses that to some degree to build a foundation of a beginning rating for the current season. At least in the way 538 uses it. Teams can be wildly different from season to season, so does this make anymore sense then using preseason stats?

Really, using the preseason stats should build you a baseline of expected performance, and as more and more data is added to the model, the predictions should become more accurate. If they don't you probably have a flawed model or data that doesn't accurately reflect what is happening on the field. You have to start somewhere basically.

Top Bottom