• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 8 |OT| - Plays of the Week

Ugh I hate the whole first take hot take thing sooo much.

I hate that and vanilla Mike & Mike.

Give me either a show that is fun and pokes fun of sports like Leb's show, a show that tries to tackle broader issues sometimes like Bomani, or give me a show that's usually sport specific with really knowledgeable people giving me actual stats, info, and insight that isn't just surface level prognostication like 90% of ESPN.

Around The NFL podcast is okay if you can handle some lighthearted banter. Not for everyone but I enjoyed it.

BigAT

eznark's Caste Football podcast "Nothing But Chalk" is a pretty solid combination of analysis and light-hearted humor.

Around The NFL podcast is okay if you can handle some lighthearted banter. Not for everyone but I enjoyed it.

I enjoy Around the NFL. I bike and walk a ton so I listen to a lot of podcasts/music. The sports ones are pretty universally bad but I don't mind that one for some reason.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I read this article the day it came out but didn't post it.

Matthew Stafford, the Dominant One

Why, I asked Matthew Stafford on Sunday, have you survived so well without Johnson?

“Hard work,” he said from Detroit an hour after his perfectly placed 18-yard dart to Anquan Boldin beat Washington, to the delight of Ford Field gone mad. “Not only by myself, but by my receivers, my teammates. One player doesn’t make a team. Football’s such a great team game. These new guys have come in and worked and proven they’re pretty good football players.”

So for proof, look at the receivers: Marvin Jones, 33 catches; Anquan Boldin, 32 catches; Golden Tate, 31 catches; Theo Riddick (hurt the past two weeks), 26 catches. Stafford’s been an equal-opportunity thrower, and therefore, the 4-3 Lions are in the pennant race with the season nearing the halfway point.

Stafford, who is still just 28, is having the best season of his life: a 105.7 rating, 68 percent completions, with a 15-to-4 touchdown-to-interception differential. Sunday was the 100th game of his career, and he sounded part exhilarated, part drained when it was over.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/24/mmqb-peter-king-matt-stafford-detroit-lions

When debating people about Matthew Stafford throughout his career start since 2009, the most annoying debates would be, "He doesn't have Megatron anymore he's going to be terrible." Either people were trolling or were not watching Stafford.

Stafford was always held back by a lack of receiving corp which is hard to believe with Calvin Johnson on your roster. From 2012-2014 our #2 WR was essentially our TE Brandon Pettigrew who is mainly a run blocking TE.

During 2014 we had a GOAT defense with Suh, DeAndre Levy and Glover Quin anchoring our defense. It helped cover up Joe Lombardi's terrible offense.

Stafford's previous offensive coordinators, in awe of his prototypical arm strength, had built offenses designed to stretch teams downfield with throws to Calvin Johnson. With Megatron taking a step backward thanks to injuries and the Detroit offensive line undergoing construction, Lombardi began to build a scheme designed to get the ball out quicker and create throws that utilized Stafford's arm strength for short-distance accuracy. Cooter has taken those concepts to another level.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...ford-reminder-not-write-qbs-too-soon-nfl-2016

I love, love, love the dink and dunk nature of the offense. Any read or throw, Stafford is going to make it. If the option for a 50 yard bomb is open Stafford will hit it, no need to force it.

It seems like we would throw to Megatron just to throw to him and that would mess with the flow of the offense.

Watch Stafford's 55 yard pass to Marvin Jones from this past weekends game against the Redskins. It's such a beautiful throw and he makes it seem effortless.

Brett Favre-esque

Slo

So for proof, look at the receivers: Marvin Jones, 33 catches; Anquan Boldin, 32 catches; Golden Tate, 31 catches; Theo Riddick (hurt the past two weeks), 26 catches. Stafford’s been an equal-opportunity thrower, and therefore, the 4-3 Lions are in the pennant race with the season nearing the halfway point.

That's an interesting way to interpret the Lions not having a single receiver in the Top 20 for receptions.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
That's an interesting way to interpret the Lions not having a single receiver in the Top 20 for receptions.

Whoever is open gets the ball. The playcalling is so varied we can go one play a 50 yarder to Marvin Jones the next play will be a WR screen to Golden Tate that goes for 20 yards.

Also should be noted that Theo Riddick and Eric Ebron haven't played since the Bears loss and are coming back this Sunday against the Texans.

this_guy

Goodell's NFL:

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoSNY
Giants DE Owa Odighizuwa was fined $12,154 for pretending to take a picture of S Landon Collins after his pick-6 on Sunday. ... Yes, really.

He used a 'pretend' camera which is a prop and that's against the rules.

Not if we live in the universe I suspect we live in. Obama will take back his nomination to allow Clinton to pick a new SC justice. She will then pick Obama, and watch as the GOP erupts into a civil war.

Edit: It goes without saying that in this universe the Patriots beat the Cowboys in the super bowl.
While this would all be entertaining (well, not the Pats part, that's disgusting), I don't think Obama wants any part of that and that he won't take back his nomination.

Sometimes you get a dud, I made the switch to PC gamer year before X360 release, never experienced MS faulty 360, but back in the days of PS2 that system was a pile of shit, launch day system dead in the box lol, got a new one, 1 month later DVD drive dead, got a replacement it worked until the warranty then DVD drive died again, I went through 6 PS2 in it's lifetime, while many neogaf calls it the king of systems, I see it as a pile of shit that gave me headaches, my launch day GC still works TODAY..if you get another broken one it's not a dud just a pile of shit..
I went through 7 of them (360's I mean). 4 direct repairs with Microsoft. One of the worst pieces of hardware released from a QA standpoint in the history of gaming. It wasn't until the first slim black redesign where the bleeding stopped. I still have that unit and its fine. My daughter plays the shit out of Minecraft on it.

I'm not particularly upset about the dead S. Shit happens like you said and I had a standard XB1 since a few months after launch with no issues. Just amused at the situation given the shipping error. It's as though the cosmos doesn't want me to own the damned thing.

As for your PS2 issues - it sucks. To this day, I still have my original launch PS2 and it works flawlessly. I never bought the slim because I never had any issues with my unit. Same for my original PSX and launch backwards compatible PS3 (which I'll never give up dammit!). It's still best the way to play Silent Hill 2 outside of the PS2 PC emulator.:)

Forget the S. Upgrade your PC.
I already have a 980ti in it and plenty of CPU power. I'm doing just fine on that front. Not looking to upgrade for a good while until I do a total rebuild next year.

The S was primarily for the UHD player. I have a standalone Samsung 8500 on loan from work but I'll eventually need to give that back so I wanted a back-up until I could spring for the Oppo unit when it finally hits.

https://www.oppodigital.com/uhd/ (sexy!)

It's still irksome that Sony didn't include UHD BD support in the Pro. It would have mitigated the need for me entirely.

Top Bottom