• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL - Dallas Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott Suspended 6 Games

If Elliot plays sunday it's going to look bad for Dallas. I know they don't care about looking bad when it comes to domestic violence but with the league ruling that they have enough evidence to suspend, and the Cowboys being part of the league, it looks bad for them to start him based on a loophole in the appeals process that orders his suspension doesn't begin for a few weeks.

That said I think its asinine that an employer can withhold pay from a unionized employee without any legal justification from the authorities to do so and seemingly nothing else that they've unvieled to the public, I thought it was asinine with Tom Brady, but that's the deal the union struck with the league so they have the right to do it. I just think they don't have any credibility. This is the result of the NFL and nfl pa doing jack shit about domestic abuse in their league for 60 years, and now they're trying to look tough arbitrarily. It just undermines them, because for every Zeke Elliot there's going to be half a dozen guys who get no suspension or get suspended and have their suspensions dropped to minimal games.

I don't think Elliott is a good guy, I think there's a good chance he's beaten up this woman. I just don't have any evidence of it and the league has no credibility or integrity, decisions like these with kangaroo appeals processes don't bolster the leagues integrity.

mr2xxx

Banned
Barely anyone outside of NE fans gave a shit when Brady was banned for 4 games with 0 proof. Here we have a history with Elliot and people still rush to his defense because it's he said she said. In this case, err on the side of caution so to speak given his history. Otherwise you prefer talent over actions. Is anyone really defending Elliot as a stand up guy? There's 0 proof for that. The only evidence points to him being aggressive. I guess we need it on tape tho.

Barely anyone outside of Pittsburgh fans gave a shit when Goodell invented new rules on the spot then crucified James Harrison with them. Why should anybody give a rat's ass about Brady's suspension, especially when the Asterisks signed off on giving him the power?

People are mad about this Elliot shit because as usual, Goodell throws his weight around without any concern for process. Only problem here is the Cowboys are yet another team who gleefully have him that power, so it's stupid for them to complain about it now.

Barely anyone gave a shit when Redskins and Cowboys lost cap space in 2014 for front loading contracts in a uncapped year. And this was a decision made by Mara, a division rival. I can't blame Goodell when he's just the puppet of a group of owners who are most likely terrible people.

And there goes the Cowboys chances of making the playoffs

Oh please lol

Elliot is an asshole for pulling that womans shirt down in public, that is the only thing i can call him an asshole of as I don't have any concrete evidence of the other stuff. If there's some type of smoking gun the NFL has then they should reveal it because as of right now they are looking like the idiots in this situation.

Oh please lol

Elliot is an asshole for pulling that womans shirt down in public, that is the only thing i can call him an asshole of as I don't have any concrete evidence of the other stuff. If there's some type of smoking gun the NFL has then they should reveal it because as of right now they are looking like the idiots in this situation.

The only guy coming out of this looking like an idiot is the guy who is going to miss 6 games (and 6 game checks) because he doesn't know how to not act like a dick head.

Euphor!a

Banned
Oh please lol

They only look like idiots to Cowboys fans, everyone else has already seen the video evidence of him being an asshole.

The only guy coming out of this looking like an idiot is the guy who is going to miss 6 games (and 6 game checks) because he doesn't know how to not act like a dick head.

Reading anything to do with this whole process the NFL went through just makes the NFL look like shit. He's a dickhead for pulling that girls shirt down, no doubt, his excuse for it is even worse, just because it's his friend and she was okay with it afterwards according to him, doesn't mean shit.

The NFL bungled this and it's making them look bad.

They only look like idiots to Cowboys fans, everyone else has already seen the video evidence of him being an asshole.

Not true, watch coverage on this from sports media sites, a bunch of them are saying that the NFL is looking bad in this situation. I already mentioned that he's an asshole for that crap that he pulled, no denying it.

Reading anything to do with this whole process the NFL went through just makes the NFL look like shit. He's a dickhead for pulling that girls shirt down, no doubt, his excuse for it is even worse, just because it's his friend and she was okay with it afterwards according to him, doesn't mean shit.

The NFL doesn't care about how Roger Goodell looks. Roger Goodell makes like $50 million a year despite most fans and players hating him and hot take media members getting their 15 minutes out of this story before moving on to the next one. They are about image. Roger takes the heat, and the NFL owners (who run the show) get to look like they are tough on DV.

The pulling down of the shirt isn't why he got 6 games though, right? It was for the alleged abuse that the police declined to pursue charges on, correct?

FStubbs

Barely anyone gave a shit when Redskins and Cowboys lost cap space in 2014 for front loading contracts in a uncapped year. And this was a decision made by Mara, a division rival. I can't blame Goodell when he's just the puppet of a group of owners who are most likely terrible people.

LOL at the Mara conspiracy BS ...

Think if Mara controlled the league:

1. It would have been legal to commit personal fouls against Beckham last year? Refs had it in for him.
2. Elliott would be playing this Sunday?

The NFL doesn't care about how Roger Goodell looks. Roger Goodell makes like $50 million a year despite most fans and players hating him and hot take media members getting their 15 minutes out of this story before moving on to the next one. They are about image. Roger takes the heat, and the NFL owners (who run the show) get to look like they are tough on DV.

Roger Goodell and NFL are interchangeable to me. Can someone seriously explain to me how Josh Brown got suspended 1 game and Zeke gets 6? It's inconsistent, it makes the league look like a joke that doesn't know what it's doing with these situations.

The pulling down of the shirt isn't why he got 6 games though, right? It was for the alleged abuse that the police declined to pursue charges on, correct?

Supposedly that was taken into consideration when they handed down the original ruling.

And? We're all supposed to be ok with that? It's a nice tautology, but it doesn't make the NFL immune to criticism. So screw them and their arbitrary processes and exploitative setup.

Go browns

When your defense amounts to "she fell"

You're probably a fuck nigga

Seriously. That's shit was a throwback, like some vintage 1950s wife beater excuse. Might as well say "she ran into a door".

And? We're all supposed to be ok with that? It's a nice tautology, but it doesn't make the NFL immune to criticism. So screw them and their arbitrary processes and exploitative setup.

Go browns

Where did I make that argument? The person I quoted said this makes the NFL look bad, it doesn't. The Season will start next week and everyone will get excited and move on to the next controversy. The machine is too big. And the NFLPA gave Roger and the owners too much power, and here we are. But my heart is not exactly bleeding for Zeke Elliot getting a raw deal here.

Euphor!a

Banned
Not true, watch coverage on this from sports media sites, a bunch of them are saying that the NFL is looking bad in this situation. I already mentioned that he's an asshole for that crap that he pulled, no denying it.

Ok, show me all of these examples of the the sports media saying the NFL looks like "idiots". And no, the random guy on twitter doesn't count.

The argument is always that the players gave Goodell this kind of power so "lol get fucked lol" or whatever.

Where did I make that argument? The person I quoted said this makes the NFL look bad, it doesn't. The Season will start next week and everyone will get excited and move on to the next controversy. The machine is too big. And the NFLPA gave Roger and the owners too much power, and here we are. But my heart is not exactly bleeding for Zeke Elliot getting a raw deal here.

...and right on cue.

I personally think that the NFLPA and the players need to show more spine in negotiations but what can you do?

Euphor!a

Banned
Roger Goodell and NFL are interchangeable to me. Can someone seriously explain to me how Josh Brown got suspended 1 game and Zeke gets 6? It's inconsistent, it makes the league look like a joke that doesn't know what it's doing with these situations.

As far as I'm aware, Josh Brown didn't actually beat a woman. While he was guilty of domestic abuse, pretty sure he never actually hit her.

As far as I'm aware, Josh Brown didn't actually beat a woman. While he was guilty of domestic abuse, pretty sure he never actually hit her.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...r-josh-brown-says-was-physically-violent-20-s

Brown was accused by his ex-wife of pushing her into a large mirror in their bedroom, throwing her on the floor, jumping on top of her and pinning her face to the carpet with his forearm on the back on her neck. In a separate incident, he allegedly kicked a door off the hinges and into the arm of her son, kicked a chair into his wife and pushed her over a paper shredder.

Yup, no physical violence

Because they gave Sheriff Roger this arbitrary bullshit power and the NFL is too stubborn too admit they are in over their heads in trying to legislate over something as sensitive and complex as domestic violence (Roger Goodel , as part of his investigation, interviewed Ray Rice's fiance IN FRONT OF HIM about how he beat her ass for fuck's sake!). So instead we get this kind of shit where they dish out rulings depending on how the wind is blowing. Josh Brown is a low profile kicker, so who cares? Zeke Elliott is a high profile player playing on one of the biggest markets in the league...let's send a message! We have to look strong!

"I never hit her. I never slapped her. I never choked her. I never did those types of things.""

Oh so you can believe the accused in that situation, but can't believe it in this situation? Why?

Because they gave Sheriff Roger this arbitrary bullshit power and the NFL is too stubborn too admit they are in over their heads in trying to legislate over something as sensitive and complex as domestic violence (Roger Goodel , as part of his investigation, interviewed Ray Rice's fiance IN FRONT OF HIM about how he beat her ass for fuck's sake!). So instead we get this kind of shit where they dish out rulings depending on how the wind is blowing. Josh Brown is a low profile kicker, so who cares? Zeke Elliott is a high profile player playing on one of the biggest markets in the league...let's send a message! We have to look strong!

So then we can all agree that the NFL doesn't know how to handle these situations right, that it makes them look bad, which is my point.

Seriously. That's shit was a throwback, like some vintage 1950s wife beater excuse. Might as well say "she ran into a door".

You made it when you said it doesn't make them look bad. By definition it is making them look bad, as any simple read of this thread, sports radio, news, message boards, Twitter, etc will easily demonstrate. They looked bad with Ray rice, Josh brown, deflategate, Kaepernick, cte, etc. You seem to be arguing that the bad look won't have an impact on their popularity, which is pretty obvious. It's what I was in fact acknowledging with my go browns comment at the end of my rant.

One can simultaneously acknowledge that Zeke is a crappy human being, that the nflpa fucked up the cba, and that goodell's exercise of his power is arbitrary and nonsensical and e en unjust. Or you can just ignore all that like you seem to want to because you've stopped at hating Zeke.
We give the cops too much power in the US so we should toe the line with blue lives matter because we done fucked up. After messing up, any criticism of the result is invalid. K

ZOONAMI

Yeah fuck him, dudes a dick. Take his checks for 6 weeks.

The entire league is a joke, it's just entertainment and it isn't worth the concussions, and paying all these cunts astronomical salaries despite abuse towards women and even children. Fuck Adrian Peterson, Rice, Elliot, Rberger, etc. Fuck the league for not just icing these fuck heads out.

Any other profession you wouldn't be able to get a job other than shit in the fucking service industry for the rest of your fucking life. Which, I don't agree with, you serve your time that shit should be done, but it's complicated with these dudes as they have lawyers to get them out of virtually everything that most people don't have, so they don't pay any debts other than a trivial amount of their net worth.

Yeah, this obviously also makes the NFL look bad. I mean, the NFL handed this suspension down the same time that it reduced that other wife beaters suspension to 1 game.

Elliot looks bad, but the NFL doesn't look good in any of this. They have no credibility with any of these suspensions and punishments.

Oh so you can believe the accused in that situation, but can't believe it in this situation? Why?

So then we can all agree that the NFL doesn't know how to handle these situations right, that it makes them look bad, which is my point.

I'm saying yes, they don't know how to handle these situations, but I am also saying that because of how big they are, and how dedicated their fans are, things like this have very little appreciable effect on them or their business. If it actually made them look bad, this wouldn't be the case. Yes, things like this generate a bunch of AM talk and Hot Take discussions, but what doesn't? At the end of the day what does it amount to? Most people don't really care. When the games start it'll be business as usual, and the NFL knows this.

I'm saying yes, they don't know how to handle these situations, but I am also saying that because of how big they are, and how dedicated their fans are, things like this have very little appreciable effect on them or their business. If it actually made them look bad, this wouldn't be the case. Yes, things like this generate a bunch of AM talk and Hot Take discussions, but what doesn't? At the end of the day what does it amount to? Most people don't really care. When the games start it'll be business as usual, and the NFL knows this.

Yeah, you're absolutely right, I can't disagree with this at all.

Because there is video evidence of one committing sexual assault

I can see where you're coming from, because he's pulled down a women's shirt, he's more inclined to physically abuse a woman. But I think someone who admitted to

He also issued a statement saying that he never hit his wife during a six-year period where he confessed to spousal abuse and other threatening behavior from 2009 to the Pro Bowl in January 2016.

Is also inclined to physically assault someone

"I never hit her. I never slapped her. I never choked her. I never did those types of things.""

Here are Josh Brown's own words on his wife
I have been a liar for most of my life. I made selfish decisions to use and abuse women starting at the age of 7 to fill this void. I objectified women and never really worried about the pain and hurt I caused them. My ability to connect emotionally to other people was zero. My empathy levels were zero.

Because I never handled these underlying issues I became an abuser and hurt Molly physically, emotionally and verbally. I viewed myself as God basically and she was my slave.

Euphor!a

Banned
Here are Josh Brown's own words on his wife

This doesn't dispute his other quote.

Edit: Regardless this is all about why there is a discrepancy between the cases, and it is quite clear why there is, for numerous reasons including the simple fact that the victim in this instance refused to cooperate with the NFL unlike in the Elliot case.

Darkman M

Edit: Regardless this is all about why there is a discrepancy between the cases, and it is quite clear why there is, for numerous reasons including the simple fact that the victim in this instance refused to cooperate with the NFL unlike in the Elliot case.

Lmao....

This shit is messy no matter how you slice it, we can all agree that people who physically, mentally, emotionally abuse a women are scum of the Earth and the NFL has done a poor job of handling these situations

He's a piece of shit because he's a piece of shit, not because Goodel says so. He thinks it's okay to pull a girl's shirt down in public, on camera. Maybe he can use these 6 weeks off to try and better himself, be less of a fucking idiot, and maybe look up the meaning of the word "consent".

Just to set the record straight, this is the post I was responding to.

Dude come on. If this guy really did what he's been accused of you need to take a step back and forget the rivalry or even the actual sport of football for a second. This guy abused a woman.

Im reading more stuff now about how the NFL picked and chose the evidence it was going to use, disregarding a lot of facts that go against their claim but in the even then until proven otherwise this guy needs to be looked at as a POS.

So I was referring to the NFL disregarding facts and the poster saying that even in that context the guy needs to be looked at as a POS until proven otherwise. That's why I further clarified my comment. It didn't make sense that the courts cleared him, but he's a POS until proven otherwise. I guess the question at that point would be until proven otherwise by who or what? Considering him a POS is fine, but saying he should be until proven otherwise isn't.

Like I said he may be a POS he may not. The shirt thing is weird, because he did it(bad). he tried again and she slapped his hand(wtf), she flashed everyone herself(ok...)

It's her body, so not his right, but it's also doesn't seem to be a traumatizing experience for her either, but then again maybe it was, maybe she wouldn't have flashed if he never pulled her shirt down. From what I read in my short look into the situation she didn't seem to be upset about it, but she is being highlighted now so it's a weird situation. How do you react to a celebrity doing that? I don't care about the guy one way or the other, just wanted to put my comments into context.

The actual reason was that the NFL males examples out of those who fail to cooperate in their own "conviction". Brady and Zeke being the best examples. At the time, goodell and Ravens ownership gushed about ray rice cooperating and groveling. The only reason they upped the suspension ex post facto was public outrage. Yet more evidence the league is not, in fact, immune to the effects of criticism and scrutiny.

Euphor!a

Banned
This shit is messy no matter how you slice it, we can all agree that people who physically, mentally, emotionally abuse a women are scum of the Earth and the NFL has done a poor job of handling these situations

Well there is video evidence of Elliot assaulting a woman, does that make him scum of the earth?

Euphor!a

Banned
The actual reason was that the NFL males examples out of those who fail to cooperate in their own "conviction". Brady and Zeke being the best examples. At the time, goodell and Ravens ownership gushed about ray rice cooperating and groveling. The only reason they upped the suspension ex post facto was public outrage. Yet more evidence the league is not, in fact, immune to the effects of criticism and scrutiny.

Has Elliot not cooperated with the investigation? I was under the assumption that he had.

Just saying scum of the earth is a pretty harsh description and one in which a 6-game suspension seems fairly lenient

Okay, but that's not the reason he's getting suspended for 6 games and not the reason he was under investigation, ban him 6 games for that, that's fine with me, there's video evidence of it, can't really dispute that.

Top Bottom