• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread: "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Sounds like they have a three year deal in place, just working out the details. I'd imagine they thing Luck will be good before then.

Mathis is 30 or 31. Freeney is a little older I think. Colts need a lot of help on defense. Will they still be good when the rest of the roster is playoff ready?

jakncoke

Banned
They really are, Have the players ever gone after that? You know more legit contracts with less fake numbers that they'll never see?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
well there didn't use to be any guaranteed money so I'm sure it's been an issue in recent CBAs.

eznark

Banned
Good to see Mario Williams available. Hopefully teams will fight over him and other high profile guys while the Packers pick up Anderson.

/dreamsoffreeagency

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
:jnc @ tagging a punter.

I hope you guys are being facetious with the idea of tagging Flynn. He'd make like $18 million next year. :jnc

NFL Network yanked the replay of the Saints/Vikings game? Really?

Wellington said:
:jnc @ tagging a punter.
The last time the Giants used the tag, it took them 12 days to work out a deal with Jacobs. I'd be surprised if it even takes that long for Weatherford.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's like people forget that Green Bay doesn't have a douchebag billionaire owner that could pocket the unspent cash.

squicken

It's like people forget that Green Bay doesn't have a douchebag billionaire owner that could pocket the unspent cash.

One thing the players got right in the new CBA is the minimum cash spend, which starts next year per team. Right now, it's just a league wide calculation. But in 2013, a team has to spend 95% of it's cap in cash

And I could see the Pack going after Mario. If he could stay healthy he could be an amazing 3-4 DE.

eznark

Banned
One thing the players got right in the new CBA is the minimum cash spend, which starts next year per team. Right now, it's just a league wide calculation. But in 2013, a team has to spend 95% of it's cap in cash

And I could see the Pack going after Mario. If he could stay healthy he could be an amazing 3-4 DE.

Not a chance. He'll get premium player money. He might be a fit, but it's completely anathema to Thompson's business practices.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Wait, garbage teams actually have to spend money now? I can't wait to see all the horrible contracts in the future!

Sanjuro

s7WJD.jpg

LJ11

Wait, garbage teams actually have to spend money now? I can't wait to see all the horrible contracts in the future!

Cash to the cap, it won't make a lick of difference for 95% of the league.

If I sign a player to a 15m signing bonus, that 15m is cash spent towards the cap even though it's amortized over the life of the contract because it's cash spent in year one. You basically have to spend in cash what the cap number is in a given year, most teams do that anyway.

jakncoke

Banned

I thought it started this year at 85%.

eznark

Banned
Holy shit. I remember reading a young adult book back when I was a kid about hockey. It was essentially exactly the same story except the kid controlled the outcome of hockey games with a bubble hockey table.

Peyton is a fucking pill-popping plagiarizing piece of poop.

Greg

Tom Silverstein is reporting that Ted Thompson refused to even discuss trades with teams, so it looks like this was a principled stand on his part more than anything.

Fucking jackass. (I still love you Ted)
Robo-Ted can't communicate with humans.

Watched NFL Live while at the gym. They of course were babbling on and on about the Saints thing. Golic on one side and Steve Young on the other.

Then Tom Jackson lets loose this gem (I'm paraphrasing a bit):
"When a guy came across the middle, I wanted to hurt him physically. I wanted to hurt him mentally. I wanted to send him a message about coming across the middle. Did I want to injure him? No, I didn't want to hurt him."

Soooo.... you wanted to hurt him but you didn't want to hurt him.

Whaaa?

Fucking ESPN. Can't figure out what the hell they want to say.

Lost in all this "Saints are the dirtiest team in the history of mankind" talk is the fact that Thursday is Peyton Manning Independence Day!

Pey Pey's been hanging around my neck of the woods, throwing 40-45 yard bombs at practice, and looking like he's about to take the Dolphins/Redskins/Cardinals/Jets to the Super Bowl.

eznark

Banned
Fatman claiming players had been warned for three years about the Saints filthy play.

Where did all the Saints fans go, by the way?

Fatman claiming players had been warned for three years about the Saints filthy play.

Where did all the Saints fans go, by the way?

Most of the Saints lifelongs fans left after Alex Smith took it straight to the bank against that D.

And cajun's banned.

So I think that covers everyone.

Greg

Watched NFL Live while at the gym. They of course were babbling on and on about the Saints thing. Golic on one side and Steve Young on the other.

"When a guy came across the middle, I wanted to hurt him physically. I wanted to hurt him mentally. I wanted to send him a message about coming across the middle. Did I want to injure him? No, I didn't want to hurt him."

Whaaa?

Yeah, I was watching that too.

I understood what Jackson was trying to say, but it definitely didn't come out right.

I forgot about the Sean Payton pill theivery. That's so awesome. As someone who's battled addiction, I can say I respect that man even more for leading his team as a very successful coach/coordinator. It's hard enough to not shit your pants on the regular when you're strung out on opiates, let alone coach a successful football team.

Sean, you're welcome in Baltimore...
as offensive coordinator

Edit: The more I say "Sean," the more I feel no one named "Sean" should be an NFL coach.

Whaaa?

I think it's a mindset. He obviously learned to hit hard and punish the opponent. He doesn't want to end their careers. You could be in the midset of "I want to tear this guys ACL."

Let's go VJax!!

eznark

Banned
What are you arguing here? When has Green Bay gotten into the habit of wasting money?

They aren't going to spend it elsewhere is my point. There is no risk to the organization because there will be no alternative use of that $14m. That's my point. The only thing that matters in pro sports is opportunity cost, and the opportunity cost here is (if TT behaves as he always has) zero.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
We can start taking bets on whether he or Buckethead gets banned first!

That's a hard one. I think cajun posts more on gaming side so there's that. Buckethead has a callous disregard for class or taste (still love you man!) so that has to be a push on the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom