• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread: "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

Wait till we sign Vince Young!

You know I have actually thought of that insanity , or vinsanity as it was back then.
I don't think Rick Smith would do it...

I still remember that first Texans game against Vince Young. I swear half of reliant had UT Jerseys. It was disgusting. He also beat us by reenacting his BSC win...
in the End zone I was sitting in no less.

Yup.. that sucked

brentech

I really want to buy a bike. It's fun just riding around places.

I don't know why but I find it calming.

I bought a Giant Revel 0 (mountain bike) last July from a local bike store. Was about $650 then. While we have an excellent trail nearby, it is a International Mountain Biking Association single-track trail that has guidelines as to when you shouldn't be on it. So, while I get to go there when it's totally dry, I largely do the most of my riding on roads.

Therefore, I want a road bike now too.

Now off to Costco

snesfreak

Banned
Meetup taking place at my house.

We can watch the game via stream.
image.php

I expect to see a picture of all of you doing this face.

LiveWire said:
How about signing Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan before even signing your team leader?
Both signing looks even worse, IMO when you consider this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/mario-manningham-got-7-375-million-from-the-49ers/

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com has the details from his contract with the 49ers and that certainly did not happen. Manningham will make base salaries of $1.2 million and $3.6 million in his two years with the 49ers with a $2 million signing bonus this year. According to the report, $2.45 million of the salary is guaranteed.
The Niners got a helluva deal for Manningham. An absolute steal in fact for a guy I think has the ability to be better than both. For that money, I almost wish the Giants had kept him though I think he was ready to move on and get out from under the spotlight of Nicks and Cruz.

CoffeeJanitor said:
When used in debate it marginalizes whatever safety issue people are talking about.

Its a game. You seem to be arguing about entertainment vs safety. I think its clear which is more importantalso just because a bunch of fans get pissed doesnt mean something is wrong
You obviously continue to miss the point in favor of hyperbolic outrage about player safety (which we agree actually happen to agree on!) and I've little need to continue arguing it.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Pussification is such a horrible term.
You don't spend much time in this thread, do you?

Bowser

Was this posted?

The 49ers and Manningham agreed to a two-year, $7.375 million contract that includes a $2 million signing bonus and another $2.45 million in salary guarantees, the source said.

In comparison, the Washington Redskins signed former 49ers receiver Josh Morgan to a two-year, $11.5 million contract on the first day of free agency that included a $5.5 million signing bonus.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-...for-less-than-Reds?blockID=675658&feedID=5936

Really? That's all Manningham got?

Futurevoid said:
2 years, $7.4m is borderline robbery for a guy with Manningham's talent.
Agreed. Amazing deal for the Niners as mentioned. Especially when you consider the ridiculous overpaying for lesser folks at the position.

I'm surprised the Rams or some other WR desperate team didn't offer more.

EDIT: Marion Barber has retired.

Narag

I would never snitch on NFL-gaf

Despite the amount of banana riders that hopped on this saints massacre. I'd be interested to go back and see how many of you haters were cheering against pey-pey in the superbowl.

Insufferable Saints fans on here had people more wishing the Saints lose rather than Peyton win.

I would never snitch on NFL-gaf

Despite the amount of banana riders that hopped on this saints massacre. I'd be interested to go back and see how many of you haters were cheering against pey-pey in the superbowl.

I'll never root for the Saints unless it somehow helps the Falcons but even then I would just root for the other team to lose.

LevelNth

Banned
York, Marathe, Baalke and Harbaugh have completely transformed this Niners organization in just 2 short years, I'm astonished. That Manningham deal is unbelievable value for a guy, while not an out and out #1 WR, is a damn good, and young, wideout.

The deals we've made with Carlos Rogers, Ahmad Brooks and Mario Manningham IMO put quite a few other organizations' signings to shame this offseason.

EDIT: Broncos signing Tamme knocks them off from drafting Fleener now. Reunion time!

dabig2

Barber retiring pretty young. Saves the Bears the trouble of cutting him in the summer I guess, but still, a little surprising.

Striker

Dreesen and Tamme in Denver? Not too shabby. Wanted the Giants to look at Tamme, figure he would have been cheaper than Dallas Clark.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Posted?

Andrew Luck Pro Day:

Projected to go No. 1 overall to the Indianapolis Colts in the NFL draft, Luck relished the Stanford spotlight for a change Thursday as one of a dozen former Cardinal players who tried to impress more than 125 league scouts and executives. Of more importance to the quarterback was making his teammates shine, even if it meant braving the elements on an unseasonably chilly and windy day on The Farm.

"I think I'm in a very unique position. I feel very fortunate," Luck said. "Obviously nothing is set in stone, but I should be drafted pretty high. Maybe a pro day is not going to hurt or help me as much as some other guys on our team. So I wanted to go out there and maybe show the strength of some of our receivers. If that means I go out there and throw a ball that I don't really want to, maybe I'll do it for those guys."

He did.

Luck completed 46 of 50 passes, and three of those incompletions were drops by his receivers, including a perfect 70-yard-plus spiral that Chris Owusu mishandled in the end zone. It was the final pass of the day, requested by scouts to test Luck's arm strength, which might be about the only thing some have questioned.

"Maybe arm strength isn't his weakness after all," joked tight end Coby Fleener, who could be one of four Stanford players selected in the first round, along with guard David DeCastro and left tackle Jonathan Martin. Only Alabama, projected to have at least five, might have more names called in the first round when the draft begins April 26 at New York's Radio City Music Hall.

The scripted workout was run by his personal coach and quarterback guru, George Whitfield, who also worked with top pick Cam Newton last year. Whitfield chased Luck with a broom to simulate a tall pass rush, which Luck joked "was kind of intimidating."

The quarterback whipped balls to his wide receivers and tight ends with ease on a day when it wasn't easy to throw outdoors. His lone mistake was overthrowing wide receiver and former roommate Griff Whalen on a corner route in the end zone.

"It was probably the first workout I've seen where a guy throws into the wind," Colts quarterback coach Clyde Christensen said.
"That probably reveals something about him, that he just goes and plays football, which is kind of neat."

eznark

Banned

Wow, he's totally improved his stock. Instead of going first I bet he now goes first.

"It was probably the first workout I've seen where a guy throws into the wind," Colts quarterback coach Clyde Christensen said. "That probably reveals something about him, that he just goes and plays football, which is kind of neat."

Unless, ya know, it's in uncontrolled conditions at the combine.

LJ11

Greg Cossell feels RG has the edge on Luck, his write up is pretty good, wish it were longer.

Only thing I disagreed with was the comment on pocket awareness. When Luck looks to get out he moves forward, RG drifts backwards and tries to get around the tackles. I'd rather have RG step up than around. Newton has better vision than both when he has to pull down and run, guy turns into a back, unreal talent in that dept.

I've been slamming Luck's deep ball since last year, it's pretty shitty, but then again so is that offense. Pathetically, I sat and charted the Orange Bowl game, two thirds of the calls had two tight ends. Archaic system is probably the culprit more than his arm, needs reps throwing deeper stuff.

Edit: write up

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Plus this means we can go all defense all day in the draft. Last time we did that we ended up with Matthews and Raji in the first round. <3

Still mad at you Raji. Shape up or we send your ass back to Brooklyn!

How many players have made an entire career and brand on one play?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Ryan Diem (right tackle of the Colts) is retiring at only 32.

Wonder if Green Bay can grab him too? :p

That Madden cover vote is ridiculously stacked in Rodgers' favor. No Brady or Eli? Come on!

Canuck76

Banned
How is the colts offensive line? Obviously luck is pretty great but what happens when this kid gets beat up every time he sets foot on the field? Could he get shell shocked?

where is dallas clark going?

He was released early March, no idea. He's being shopped around though.

How is the colts offensive line? Obviously luck is pretty great but what happens when this kid gets beat up every time he sets foot on the field? Could he get shell shocked?

Our O-line has been shaky for some time, but our two rookies from last year showed a lot of promise and we brought in three free agent linemen. It has a chance of being better than it's been for the past 3-4 years. Manning's sack numbers are low because of Manning, not his line.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Dude's young and big. He'll be okay.

Guys like Cutler got murdered by the Giants a few years back and lived (except when he's giving up during the NFC championship!)

RBH

LOFTON COULD RETURN TO FALCONS

There is still no guarantee that middle linebacker Curtis Lofton will return to the Atlanta Falcons, but team officials feel better about the possibilities, given what has transpired lately in unrestricted free agency.

For openers, the market for 4-3 middle linebackers hasn't developed, as accentuated by the five-year, $25.5 million contract with which Stephen Tulloch returned to the Detroit Lions this week. Tulloch was regarded in the unrestricted pool as at least the equal of Lofton, maybe better in the eyes of some scouts, and generated only modest interest outside of the Detroit organization.

Like Lofton, he was eyeing the misguided five-year, $42.5 million deal that Cleveland reportedly awarded D'Qwell Jackson to return, and fell far short of that target. Lofton has drawn interest from division rivals Tampa Bay and New Orleans. But a Bucs official told The Sports Xchange that reports in Atlanta that Lofton holds an offer from the Bucs are only "technically true," and that the ardor for the four-year veteran has cooled a bit in the building.

The Saints, who visited with Lofton, could pursue him, especially if incumbent Jonathan Vilma is suspended by the league for his role in the Bountygate scandal. But New Orleans is up against the cap following the addition of defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley, and would have a difficult time finding space to pigeonhole Lofton as well.

Although his representatives have disagreed, we've taken the stance that Lofton is a two-down run-stuffer who doesn't belong on the field on third down, even though the Falcons use him in nickel packages, and that his value is blunted because of that. Teams from around the league seem to agree, haven't exactly opened up the vault yet for Lofton, and that provides Falcons coaches and team officials renewed hope he could be back.

ABRAHAM'S CONTRACT FAR SHORT OF HIS TARGET

The other positive for the Falcons is that defensive end John Abraham, the club's lone outside sack threat and a player club officials seemed to regard as an even bigger priority than Lofton, found no market in his publicly announced price range and ended up signing a three-year deal that was very palatable to the team.

The 33-year-old Abraham announced that he was seeking a contract worth $12 million per year as an unrestricted free agent. He tentatively set up visits with Tennessee and Denver, then quickly discovered that neither the Titans nor Broncos would be in his financial ball park.

The result: He hustled back to the Falcons on a three-year contract that was purported to be worth $21 million. Alas, typical of the agency that represents Abraham - and which has long made a habit of inflating the contract numbers - the deal is far less.

We don't have all the details, so perhaps, with all of the escalators, the contract can max out of $7 million per year. Even if it does, that's far short of the $12 million annually Abraham was seeking. The "base" deal, minus escalators, though, is worth only about $5.6 million per year. The signing bonus is a modest $2.25 million and another $2.156 million per year comes in the form of two roster bonuses, one of which is tied to appearances by the oft-injured Abraham.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sportsxchange-000618030_pasquarelli-friday-tip-sheet

Hopefully the Jeff Saturday signing means way more no huddle offense. It also is a huge improvement to not just the depth of the line, but also at the center position. PFO had Saturday as a top 5 center last year. That's fantastic. I think Wells was like 15. Center isn't a terribly important position in the Packers offense, but having a guy who will be able to recognize and call assignments is massive.

Love it. Very thrilled.

If we can't run no huddle in Madden, then the Packers can't do it in real life

pshhh, Kirk Cousins scripted his own Pro Day, instead of having someone do it for him. I think we know where the real talent and leadership is

Greg Cossell feels RG has the edge on Luck, his write up is pretty good, wish it were longer.

Only thing I disagreed with was the comment on pocket awareness. When Luck looks to get out he moves forward, RG drifts backwards and tries to get around the tackles. I'd rather have RG step up than around. Newton has better vision than both when he has to pull down and run, guy turns into a back, unreal talent in that dept.

I've been slamming Luck's deep ball since last year, it's pretty shitty, but then again so is that offense. Pathetically, I sat and charted the Orange Bowl game, two thirds of the calls had two tight ends. Archaic system is probably the culprit more than his arm, needs reps throwing deeper stuff.

Edit: write up

Great read, thanks for that LJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom