• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NG and DMC cry: The god of GODHAND.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ynos Yrros said:
:lol :lol :lol

If only you played the game. It's quite the oter way, there's no action game as good, awesome and har as GodHand.

Yeah, I didn't play the game... Or you just suck.

:p

VaLiancY

:lol That was an awesome finish. I'm buying this game cause' of that homerun, I've bought worst games so this can't be bad as everyone say it is.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Guy playing is pretty brave. I'm a huge fan of dodging, but there are quite a few times where I could have back flipped out of there for some air. Like everytime I fought the Devil Hand, I'd just run like hell when he actually used it. I've been killed by regular enemies on Die Mode, so beating Another Gene without taking any damage is just insane.

This video really has no significance if you haven't played the game though. Like the person that made that video's combo set is going to be completely different from the ones I use, or that the next person uses. You set your combos from a list of over a 100 moves. He or she just found a set of moves that work for them. Same thing with those finishing moves (Roulette Wheel). I can set mine to be completely different from the next person.

Vlad

mysticstylez said:
Wow, this is what everyone has been talking about? The game looks like absolute shit, and I'm not talking just visually.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. It does look a bit stiff. Of course, it doesn't help that the video's something like six minutes long and the guy's doing the same 3-4 moves for about the first four minutes of it.

Still, it's always possible that it plays better than it looks.

USD

Guy's got skill, but not a terribly exciting video to watch.

Dahbomb said:
There are numerous ways to improve and expand upon Godhand.

*Juggling system is rudimentary at best, needs major overhaul.

*Incorporation of more states of enemies during attacks and properties. More types of stuns, bounces, launchers, knockbacks etc.

*Enemy design, level design and general art of the game needs major overhaul. Most of it is quite atrocious.

*Fixing of all the lame exploits that cheapen the game.

*Tank controls are lame, game of this caliber needs far more freedom in movements. It's why NG/DMC will always be superior to it. If they do plan to keep the tank controls at least god damn give the option to use the D-pad.

*Incorporation of more move inputs so that you are able to store more moves.

*Trimming down the fact. There are a lot of vanilla moves and God Reels that normally have a superior version.

*Personally having the Right analog stick as evade which is a major portion of the game gives some problems in terms of cancelling to and fro moves. I don't really have a way to fix this aside from having a dodge button you hold down (holding down just makes you weave, pressing left or right or back/forward to dodge in the direction).

*Needs enhanced God Reel effects that get bonus properties/power when you use them in conjunction with the Godhand.

No game is perfect especially not Godhand. I didn't even touch upon the numerous technical problems with the game like clipping.

Not at all true. Hardest setting on Godhand can easily give MNM a run for it's money especially early on.

The one thing I would want the most out of a God Hand sequel is style changing on the fly, a la DMC4. Customizable styles + style switching would be awesome.

Yoboman

Vlad said:
Yeah, I thought the same thing. It does look a bit stiff. Of course, it doesn't help that the video's something like six minutes long and the guy's doing the same 3-4 moves for about the first four minutes of it.

Still, it's always possible that it plays better than it looks.
It does. The game is incredible.

Dahbomb said:
There are numerous ways to improve and expand upon Godhand.

*Juggling system is rudimentary at best, needs major overhaul.

*Incorporation of more states of enemies during attacks and properties. More types of stuns, bounces, launchers, knockbacks etc.

*Enemy design, level design and general art of the game needs major overhaul. Most of it is quite atrocious.

*Fixing of all the lame exploits that cheapen the game.

*Tank controls are lame, game of this caliber needs far more freedom in movements. It's why NG/DMC will always be superior to it.
If they do plan to keep the tank controls at least god damn give the option to use the D-pad.

*Incorporation of more move inputs so that you are able to store more moves.

*Trimming down the fact. There are a lot of vanilla moves and God Reels that normally have a superior version.

*Personally having the Right analog stick as evade which is a major portion of the game gives some problems in terms of cancelling to and fro moves. I don't really have a way to fix this aside from having a dodge button you hold down (holding down just makes you weave, pressing left or right or back/forward to dodge in the direction).

*Needs enhanced God Reel effects that get bonus properties/power when you use them in conjunction with the Godhand.

No game is perfect especially not Godhand. I didn't even touch upon the numerous technical problems with the game like clipping.

Not at all true. Hardest setting on Godhand can easily give MNM a run for it's money especially early on.
Bolded = GTFO.

The tank controls + evade + camera are one of the greatest examples of fantastic game design, and are together head and shoulders above the camera and movement in DMC which are head and shoulders above the camera and movement in NG.

No game is perfect indeed, but as far as action games go God Hand is the purest representation of the form. It's a game that has it's priorities in order, a clear vision of it's design doc that makes no sacrifices for the sake of vanity.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I thought God Hand didn't look very interesting in videos, too, before I played it. The game is really great though, it stands tall along with DMC, DMC3, NG, and Shinobi PS2 last gen.

Mamesj

Banned
That video is awesome!!!! But I can't believe it took 7 minutes of straight repetitive pummeling to kill that boss...just so not necessary :\ I'm playing through the game right now and am already kinda disgusted with how long it took to kill bosses, but I see it doesn't get much better towards the end....

MickeyKnox said:
Bolded = GTFO.

The tank controls + evade + camera are one of the greatest examples of fantastic game design, and are together head and shoulders above the camera and movement in DMC which are head and shoulders above the camera and movement in NG.

No game is perfect indeed, but as far as action games go God Hand is the purest representation of the form. It's a game that has it's priorities in order, a clear vision of it's design doc that makes no sacrifices for the sake of vanity.

facepalm.gif

I like Godhand a lot, but the fanboy splooge on gaf is so out of control when it comes to this game. "purest representation of the form" what does that even mean???? :lol

DMC, NG, and Godhand are 3 very different games and have camera+movement systems that are nearly perfect for their games. aside from NG's camera on occasion. then again, Godhand's camera can lead to cheap shots too.

I don't think they should change the tank controls or camera in GH, but man, please watch the unfounded comparisons...

EviLore said:
I thought God Hand didn't look very interesting in videos, too, before I played it. The game is really great though, it stands tall along with DMC, DMC3, NG, and Shinobi PS2 last gen.

im glad you added Shinobi to that list, I dont think it gets enough love and most times its posted its only in hardest game lists.

Synless

Mrbob said:
Looks pretty cool, but I see the same canned combo over and over. The ending combo was badass.

Gotta love the comments section! :lol
Lol @ doombringer, I remember when he got permabanned.

Linkzg said:
im glad you added Shinobi to that list, I dont think it gets enough love and most times its posted its only in hardest game lists.

Shinobi slaughtered me, never made it past the graveyard, i think.

Dahbomb

I only mentioned the tank controls. The tank controls are really bothersome when you are trying to A) take on more than one enemy at once and crowd control B) attempting to pick up items/weapons C) Locking on to enemies in general. I have no problem with the camera in Godhand, but tank controls suck ass no matter how you dice it.

Movement in NG is the best out of the 3, there is just so much freedom and fluidity to it as well as responsiveness. While DMC and GH are just as responsive in the controls, GH gets a bit janky in tight situations because of aforementioned tank controls. In the case of GH you have to play this game absolutely one way or you completely fail at it. In DMC/NG you can actually have different styles of play in terms of movement and evasions.

The Right analog evasion is fine but for me personally I would like the option to have it on L2 (instead of taunt which is yet another cheap way to excel at the game) and use it in conjunction with Left analog stick. That way my right thumb never leaves the face buttons. This system may not work for others and I understand that.

Dahbomb said:
I only mentioned the tank controls. The tank controls are really bothersome when you are trying to A) take on more than one enemy at once and crowd control B) attempting to pick up items/weapons C) Locking on to enemies in general. I have no problem with the camera in Godhand, but tank controls suck ass no matter how you dice it.

Movement in NG is the best out of the 3, there is just so much freedom and fluidity to it as well as responsiveness. While DMC and GH are just as responsive in the controls, GH gets a bit janky in tight situations because of aforementioned tank controls. In the case of GH you have to play this game absolutely one way or you completely fail at it. In DMC/NG you can actually have different styles of play in terms of movement and evasions.

The Right analog evasion is fine but for me personally I would like the option to have it on L2 (instead of taunt which is yet another cheap way to excel at the game) and use it in conjunction with Left analog stick. That way my right thumb never leaves the face buttons. This system may not work for others and I understand that.
The movement in NG is god awful, Ryu is more bound to his animation cycle than he is to input from the user, which makes navigating though the platforming elements a shatter your controller against the wall experience. The tank controls in god hand represent the most digital experience out of the three, to me it's like the difference between playing 3rd strike with a 360 dpad and playing it with a Happ stick.

Router said:
Hardest setting on Godhand = Easy setting on NG.
^ Nothing says "I was born a dumbass!" better than this. ^

That video was "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" amazing. God Hand itself is amazing. I was one of those guys that considered Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry to be the finest of the finest in the category of action games. Not only that, I considered them to be "impossibly" hard. This changed when I played God Hand.

God Hand is, without a doubt -- the greatest action game ever made. Additionally, it is definitely THE HARDEST one, too.

Don't get me wrong, though. I still love Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry, but they definitely aren't on the same level as God Hand.

MickeyKnox's avatar said:
GohhandAva-1.jpg
Dude, you have been pimping that avatar for awhile. You fucking rock!

GOD HAND <3

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I like Godhand well enough. I wish that they would adjust the amount of those effin monsters popping out of people. Its annoying as hell fighting them. Aside from them, the game is fine. As high a priority as the moves get, you get absolutely no where, if you don't know how to use the right joystick: evade is the name of the game. Devil hand is a classic example of a tug of war match. If you try and spam him with your moveset, he puts you down "right quick". lol

As for the difficulty...God hand was a lot tougher than the other two games, especially on its hardest.

EviLore said:

This game gets the least amount of love of them all. Its good, despite its shortcomings. One of the purest action games there is. Straight old school, "kill shit to get across the screen", and no bs extras. "Kill or be killed". Its tough as nails too. That end boss made me want to kill kittens. :(

Shame about Nightshade...even though, its focus on aerial movement made some sections a bit tougher than shinobi. Also, on the higher difficulties, if you didn't kill 100% of the enemies in the area, fighting bosses turned into a true testament of how skilled you were: no 1 hit KO.

vertopci

mysticstylez said:
Wow, this is what everyone has been talking about? The game looks like absolute shit, and I'm not talking just visually.

Fuck you.

Maybe you should play it before talking shit on it.

LAMBO

Does anyone know why the enemies are always saying "You're not Alexander" ?

I loved the game when i got it a while ago, will replay it in the future.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
"I'm the best ever," he declared. "I'm the most brutal and vicious and most ruthless champion there's ever been. There's no one could stop me. Lennox is a conqueror? No, I'm Alexander. He's no Alexander. I'm the best ever. There's never been anybody as ruthless. I'm Sonny Liston. I'm Jack Dempsey. There's no one like me. I'm from their cloth. There's no one that can match me. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable. And I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah."

Aske

Pretty sure the art direction and clipping were satirical. Clipping in Godhand feels unlike clipping in other games, and I'm 99% sure that it was deliberate; as were most other common criticisms not related to the combat system.

I'm not a "Godhand > everything" fan of the game, but when I finished my first run I came away thinking that Godhand had genuinely dared to make fun of (or pay homage to) cheesy, poorly polished games by deliberately being more cheesy and less polished than them. The developers were either stating that a game can be stunning despite graphical roughness and poor art direction, or they were pointing their fingers and laughing their asses off. No idea which, but in either case, pushing the joke as far as they did ensured that Godhand has more balls than just about everything else. Audacious balls.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Almost went back last night since I've been going through back-log cuz my 360 died. Reading this thread seals the deal.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Aske said:
Pretty sure the art direction and clipping were satirical.
The clipping, to my understanding, was completely intentional, so the camera could be always on its optimal position. Playability over eye-candy.
This is probably one of the best beat'em ups ever made. BUY IT!

NeonBlade

Banned
Out of the three games, to me Ninja Gaiden is still the most difficult.

The enemies in the game are relentless, cheap and just evil! Purple, Red and Black Ninjas I'm looking at you! It says something about a game when if you slip mentally at all, a 3 man ninja team can have your anus with cool whip. The bad thing is Ryu is not as gifted as Dante, so he is a hindered character.

God Hand is second hardest for obvious reasons, surprisingly although DMC3 is a combo game it is hard because of the damage dealt. Dante Must Die is just insanse, you cannot even be touched.

I love all three equally, but prefer DMC3 for its freedom in combat its mechanics and characters. DMCs music sucks though and all three games camera angles are garbage.

TreIII

Friggin' AWESOME.

HE'S ALEXANDER! :lol

It really is a shame that this game will probably NEVER get a sequel. Not unless Capcom decided to give the "ex-Clover" guys who got re-integrated back into Capcom something interesting to do...

Green Shinobi said:
Man, the gameplay mechanics look pretty terrible in that video.

Maybe I'll give it a rent someday and find out, but that wasn't terribly compelling.
Quite the opposite about the gameplay mechanics. It's one of the most cleverly designed systems I've ever seen. It's also probably done the most amazing job I can remember of "jumping right into the fun." In 5 minutes after starting New Game you're having a blast.

Man I only ever played a couple of hours of this game. And now I don't have an american PS2 to play it on :(

But yeah, great game from what I played.

But there is no defending tank controls, honestly. Can't believe people still try.

It doesn't break the game or anything, but it also doesn't 'raise it to the ultimate digital experience' or whatever people were spouting.

Vlad

traveler said:
Note to self: NEVER try to criticize God Hand on GAF; you will be mauled ruthlessly.

Heh, seems to be that way.

I am curious about it, though. As stiff as it looks, I don't think I've read any negative impressions here about it. I imagine that I'll probably give it a shot if I ever come across it.

Of course, my record with GAF recommendations is probably around 50/50, at best. I've found some rather good games through the hype here, but also come across some that I couldn't stand.

nesmar

On paper the controls are ass, but just like with Re4 the game is insanely fun when you play it.

I'm for all the action games mentioned in this thread including shinobi (Y)

tetsuoxb

BudokaiMR2 said:
But there is no defending tank controls, honestly. Can't believe people still try.

It doesn't break the game or anything, but it also doesn't 'raise it to the ultimate digital experience' or whatever people were spouting.

I bet I could do a pretty good job of defending them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I tried out God Hand, and returned it after a bit. I can certainly appreciate this video, dude has some fricken skill.

Here's why I didn't like God Hand as much.

1.) The game is actually physically demanding. My controller got more abuse playing God Hand than any other game I've ever played. The game really seems like it would be better to some sort of custom control method or input, because it makes your PS2 controller feel like a tiny, fragile device. Which really, it is. There's a bigger disconnect between thought and action on the screen because of this, sense you're acutely aware of the fact you're using a controller.

2.) The combat system is certainly deep, but it's not graceful. The tank controls are a factor, but so is its viscerality. The combos you can create are deep, but it always feels more like you're pummeling the enemy with lots of little bags of sand or something, so individual strikes aren't quite as punchy and don't really have the same sort of impact, unless you're doing one of those moves that knock the enemy way into the air or into a wall. I like having a decent sense of feedback every time I hit an enemy in an action game.

That being a said, a 3.0 is freaking laughable, and I wouldn't blame anybody for falling in love with the game.

TreIII

Hey, does this guy have any other vids? As enjoyable as it was to see him tear into Challenge 51, I can only imagine what he did to the rest of the game. :D

Top Bottom