• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N'Gai Croal - RE5 Trailer Imagery is Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ok, I just watched the first part of the trailer to see if I could pick up any racist connections.

African village and impoverished people... Not racist.
A fish market and other stalls... Not racist.
White dude turns up... Not Racist.
Black guy sitting in the shade looking suspiciously at camera... Not racist.
People look at him cautiously, leave the area... Not racist.
Scene with a warlord type guy yelling into a megaphone... Not racist.
People vanish, white man alone... Not racist.
White man enters building where he finds two shadowy figures "Turning a villager"... Not racist.

Ok, I honestly don't see anything racist in the first part of the trailer. The only thing I see are BLACK PEOPLE in AFRICA.

Tobor

sp0rsk said:
I don't know what we are arguing.

We lack any sort of evidence to call the game racist. It's pretty obvious the guys who made it didn't know that this would offend Americans. They may know that they are angry, but they have no idea why.

Bleh, I hate this topic. Why can't we move on?

This isn't about a smoking gun, man. There are clearly people who find this imagery disturbing, and it is their opinion. It is unfortunate, but it is going to taint the reception of this game in the USA.

The developer's intentions, the plot, and the history of the series are irrelevant. People find the imagery disturbing. Who are we to tell them they are wrong?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Htown said:
Now here's what bothers me about the whole thing.

Everyone in this thread immediately reacts as though this is a retarded thing to even bring up. That N'Gai is a moron for thinking this. Did you guys even read the interview?

He's right about one thing at the very least. NOBODY wants to talk about race in games. Ever. And if you do, you're "retarded" or "stupid" or "hypersensitive", no matter what the context or game. Look at this thread for proof.

Did Ngai even play RE4? The villagers we're infected long before you arrived and its likely the case here. One of the main points in RE4 is that the villagers attack any outsider who comes to the village. Tie that with the comments made by the producer and it would suggest that while hostile to Chris, they likely wont attack right away until he reveals himself as a threat. Talk about jumping the gun.

Aggelos said:
Racism has always been a sensitive-touchy issue.

However the screeplay of Biohazard 5 is justifiable through the plot. The caucasian protagonist went to Africa to gather info. Suddenly a group of black people attack him and he defends himself. In accordance to the plot Chris defends himself, he didn't visit Africa to kill black people just for sport!
If Biohazard 5's theme was "black-people-killing-safari", then it should have been banned.

Since when has "defending myself" become similar to "murder"? The caucasian protagonist is defending himself from a group of insane people.
However the truth is that it is up to the gamer/user/player to make Biohazard 5 a game of "black-people-killing-safari", it is up to the player to make it a game of "massive premeditated murders against black people".
I repeat the game's theme is not "black-people-killing-safari", but it can be easily turned into that. And that is the true problem. It's what makes Biohazard 5 racially insensitive IMO....

FUCK this racially insensitive bullshit.
Are all Italians rude animals as seen in The Sopranos? Are all Spaniards crazy, ugly farmers as seen in RE4?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
DCharlie said:
The hilarity here is that if they do make them white and they do keep the game set in africa we'll get similarly loud shouts of "RACISM!" because "this is set in Africa... where are all the black people?"

Absolutely true. You would have people say the game is racist because it does not portray an accurate picture of Africa and it's people.

Jacobi

Banned
Aggelos said:
I repeat the game's theme is not "black-people-killing-safari", but it can be easily turned into that. And that is the true problem. It's what makes Biohazard 5 racially insensitive IMO....
NO. You could say the same freaking thing for every other game. What about freedom of expression? Why can't game designer let their games play where they want to let em play?

To me this is just a matter of cultural difference between Japan and America.

keanerie said:
Haiti has a history with zombies, it's a big part of folk religions there - I think, correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe people were giving Capcom more credit than they deserved.
Well voodoo always dealt with zombies and such although they are't undead but more of in a trance state. At least that how I remember it.

Kosma

Banned
123rl said:
The "White Is Coming" adverts were blatantly racist. It's a totally different situation though

Except they were not.

Or do you think that black model would have done an ad that discriminates her? zing.

There were no complaints about the ads here in the Netherlands, where they were actually used and there are many black Dutchies.

Doc Evils

Aggelos said:
Racism has always been a sensitive-touchy issue.

However the screeplay of Biohazard 5 is justifiable through the plot. The caucasian protagonist went to Africa to gather info. Suddenly a group of black people attack him and he defends himself. In accordance to the plot Chris defends himself, he didn't visit Africa to kill black people just for sport!
If Biohazard 5's theme was "black-people-killing-safari", then it should have been banned.

Since when has "defending myself" become similar to "murder"? The caucasian protagonist is defending himself from a group of insane people.
However the truth is that it is up to the gamer/user/player to make Biohazard 5 a game of "black-people-killing-safari", it is up to the player to make it a game of "massive premeditated murders against black people".

From what I understand from the trailer, there's a dictator(the guy on top of the truck?) which is similar to Black Hawk Down and I presume he must be the one behind infections that happens in the trailer and controls them like RE4, of course we won't know until the game comes out.

GhaleonQ

Duck of Death said:
N'Gai makes his point very clear:

I think he's spot-on.

Resident Evil is a horror-based zombie game.

Jenga said:
Who is N'gai again? Some videogame commenter or something?

Former film student who has TOTALLY seen "Birth Of A Nation" twice.

Also, I think that all psychiatric wards need to be up in arms, if this argument carries. Time and time again in fiction, whether that be film, literature, or video games, those in and running hospitals are "othered." I mean, there's a history, people! Psikhushkas alone undid all of Dorothea Dix's work. Requiem For A Dream, in its pages, included the know-nothing head doctor ignoring his patients for his own gain, while jump-cuts, darkness, moans and cries are included in every horror film that takes place near 1 today. I happen to know that most facilities are generally peaceful. Does anyone stick up for the workers?! No, they're either stereotyped as 2 burly men (sizeist!) carrying people away or as irresponsible, demented people intent on punishment (Nurse Ratched, anyone?). Never mind the unsympathetic portrayals of the mentally ill. I demand that all Silent Hill games be recalled now. Also, Psychonauts and its horrible marginalization of the afflicted and psychiatric hospitals themselves. Oleander says, "Words hurt, too! There's a history!"

Zerachiel

Did you guys even read N'Gai's points?

I think he has a valid one when it comes to the "but we've been killing white zombies and Spanish zombies! Why is this different?" rebuttal. There is a history of racist iconography. The depiction of zombies in most forms corresponds to that pretty closely, so put the two together, and you've got what looks like a very racist portrayal. I'm not ascribing malice to Capcom, and I think N'Gai's off base when it comes to the "otherness" of the pre-infected Hatians, but the man is a lot closer to the truth than the earlier hysterics we encountered.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I just watched the trailer again, and I honestly have no fricking clue what could possibly be seen as racist in that video. Are we saying that places like the one depicted in that video do not exist? Because I happen to know that there are quite a few places like that in the world. Should we pretend those places do not exist because acknowledging their existence is in itself racist? I think that people who find that racist are looking so hard for racism that maybe they can find it anywhere. I honestly don't get it.

What exactly is racist about black people in a poor black country? There are quite a few places like that in the world, and many movies have been made about them. If this is racist, so is Blood Diamond. White guy, Leo in that very setting being the main dude, and the white girl saving the poor black people from genocide. I recognize that this is less a moral tale with RE5, but I can't honestly believe that a setting that's based on reality can be called racist. By that reasoning there should be no movies that take place in Moldova, or Serbia, due to their poor conditions and eastern European looks.

Synless

This is fucking retarded......people need to grow up. Racist, :lol I feel offended on how stupid people are these days.

keanerie

GhaleonQ said:
Also, I think that all psychiatric wards need to be up in arms, if this argument carries. Time and time again in fiction, whether that be film, literature, or video games, those in and running hospitals are "othered." I mean, there's a history, people! Psikhushkas alone undid all of Dorothea Dix's work. Requiem For A Dream, in its pages, included the know-nothing head doctor ignoring his patients for his own gain, while jump-cuts, darkness, moans and cries are included in every horror film that takes place near 1 today. I happen to know that most facilities are generally peaceful. Does anyone stick up for the workers?! No, they're either stereotyped as 2 burly men (sizeist!) carrying people away or as irresponsible, demented people intent on punishment (Nurse Ratched, anyone?). Never mind the unsympathetic portrayals of the mentally ill. I demand that all Silent Hill games be recalled now. Also, Psychonauts and its horrible marginalization of the afflicted and psychiatric hospitals themselves. Oleander says, "Words hurt, too! There's a history!"

:lol :lol :lol

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
123rl said:
You're a retard (see, I can throw around insults as well). And maybe it's different in your country, but retard is a really offensive word for most countries - oh, the irony :D

The "White Is Coming" adverts were blatantly racist. It's a totally different situation though
Is it? The imagery is extremely similar, the only difference is the lack of text. In fact, the RE5 imagery is even more extreme, with "black" and "white" trying to kill each other.

So this is racist...

white-psp-europe.jpg

But a a single white guy hero killing tons of black people in a trailer is completely racially neutral? Are you serious?

Anasui Kishibe said:
shooting Spanish people is ok because they don't have the same history. This is probably the fucking crappiest piece of bullshit I've read in months

nobody is taking offense to the idea of shooting black people. JESUS. Its the imagery. Its the way the setting looks and what kind of history that evokes.

harSon said:
You'd have a point if the Spanish had a history of being portrayed in that fashion, fortunately, they don't.

I see your point and I guess it really does come down to just your perspective. If you perceive the racist portrayal of Blacks to carry more importance than considering the context of the gaming series, then that's your prerogative.

harSon

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
FUCK this racially insensitive bullshit.
Are all Italians rude animals as seen in The Sopranos? Are all Spaniards crazy, ugly farmers as seen in RE4?

The Sopranos was television show about a scumbag Mafioso and his family/friends. Spanish people are not typically portrayed as ugly farmers (I hope not at least..)...

Kestastrophe said:
I see your point and I guess it really does come down to just your perspective. If you perceive the racist portrayal of Blacks to carry more importance than considering the context of the gaming series, then that's your prerogative.

I'm Half Black 25% Spanish 25% Japanese :p

D-X

This is a very interesting debate that you can interpret on a variety of levels.

On a basic level:
It's just the creepy atmosphere of RE4 in a different setting with a different race of people. Yes a buff white guy is going in - but its not like they just threw in Chris - he's been there for the whole series. If people take away negative images of black people (thinking the behaviour of an 'infected' computer game character is reflective of real people) then they are stupid (but as we all know there are stupid people in the world).

On a deeper level:
Hmm this is really too big to address coherently in a single post but I'll try to simplify it as attaching a deeper meaning to the imagery which isn't overtly racist but can be misconstrued in a variety of ways by a variety of people.

Turn them all green again - problem solved.

I personally don't think RE5 is racist based on what I've seen. I simply think they're treating the enemies in the game exactly how they have been treated before.

h3ro

Wollan said:

Wait... now I'M offended... don't you know what the British did to Indian people!

/sarcastic tone.

Seriously, those guys look WAY more South Asian than what is our image of an African. Also, I didn't see him mention the large South Asian influence in Africa, again, courtesy of our friends, the British.

One thing I don't get is that N'Gai is a big proponent of analyzing certain games as art, to tell a story without having to be altered to be PC. Yet, here, he seems to be yearning for the game designers to change their vision to fit social norm.

There is no right or wrong in this case. Its a game that takes a white protagonist on the trail of a virus that originates in Africa. I'm sure the situations of "dangerous" people that all look like they need to die will be changed, but I will be disappointed if the setting/story are altered from the true vision of the RE team because they had to yield to the increasing supressing of ideas under the name of being Politically Correct in this world...

now back to your normally scheduled programming...

AmMortal

Banned
Until black people start making video games, where a black guy kills only white guys, we won't have justified perspectives on both sides.

/thread.

sullyj

Synless said:
This is fucking retarded......people need to grow up. Racist, :lol I feel offended on how stupid people are these days.

I was gonna say the same thing but instead I had to draw a comparison to the completely insane small town I live in. Thanks, at least I know there is another crazy person out there. :D

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
sp0rsk said:
If i remember correctly, in the Famitsu DVD he said the city was modeled to look like somewhere from Africa, no actual place was ever mentioned. I don't know where this Haiti stuff came from.

Voodoo/Zombie stuff originated from the area. People just assumed that the game would be there because of that.

Brannon

What offended me more was...

UPDATE: An e-mail from a reader pointed out that while N’Gai Croal was speaking of racism in the RE5 trailer, this article might be read as Croal’s condemnation of racism in the finished game itself. That would be difficult, since RE5 isn’t scheduled for release until May of of 2009, according to GameStop.

MAY '09!? Man.

Tobor

drakesfortune said:
I just watched the trailer again, and I honestly have no fricking clue what could possibly be seen as racist in that video. Are we saying that places like the one depicted in that video do not exist? Because I happen to know that there are quite a few places like that in the world. Should we pretend those places do not exist because acknowledging their existence is in itself racist? I think that people who find that racist are looking so hard for racism that maybe they can find it anywhere. I honestly don't get it.

What exactly is racist about black people in a poor black country? There are quite a few places like that in the world, and many movies have been made about them. If this is racist, so is Blood Diamond. White guy, Leo in that very setting being the main dude, and the white girl saving the poor black people from genocide. I recognize that this is less a moral tale with RE5, but I can't honestly believe that a setting that's based on reality can be called racist. By that reasoning there should be no movies that take place in Moldova, or Serbia, due to their poor conditions and eastern European looks.

1. You not thinking it's racist has no bearing on the opinions of people who do.

2. There is a colossal difference between "acknowledging these places in the world" and "sending in a giant white guy to shoot African peasants in the face".

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Htown said:
But a a single white guy hero killing tons of black people in a trailer is completely racially neutral? Are you serious?

Is he killing them because they're black? Does it have anything to do with skin color? No? Good, glad you realize it's not racist.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Htown said:
Is it? The imagery is extremely similar, the only difference is the lack of text. In fact, the RE5 imagery is even more extreme, with "black" and "white" trying to kill each other.

So this is racist...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/nmarchan/white-psp-europe.jpg[/IMG]

ZOMBIES, not people, ZOMBIES THAT WILL EAT YOUR FLESH just like in RE1/2/3/4 dude. Only difference is skin colour.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Htown said:

About 3 or 4 ZOMBIES are killed/shot/attacked in the trailer.

nib95

Banned
I love N'gai's work, and really do think he's one of the best in the biz.

But on this I'm going to have to disagree with him. Also his comment about the music I thought was rather bizzare. Game designers shouldn't choose soundtracks on the basis of political correctness, but what they feel will add to the general feel and mood they want to emit for the game, narrative and gameplay style itself.

Just because they are in Africa, doesn't mean they need African music. The music they used has been used in movies like Black Hawk Down, Syriana and Sahara alike. It's the kind of music that emphasises an up-lifting aura, with a hint of uncertainty and emphasis on the blistering heat. It projects a kind of mood, and with it carries connatations to past movies that have used similar sounds in similar settings. It doesn't necessarily have to relate to Africa specifically.

When people are looking for racism these days, they find it. That's a fact.

You should hear one of my friends go on about Lord Of The Rings and King Kong. It's amazing to listen to him since I know he hasn't looked into what History Tolkien was trying to create. And he doesn't try to either. Hopefully after N'Gai has played the game, he'll change his mind. Hell, maybe we will.

And about that picture of the guy in the game, he has BLOOD coming out of his eyes. That is not normal or racist. Something is clearly wrong with him.

harSon said:
The Sopranos was television show about a scumbag Mafioso and his family/friends. Spanish people are not typically portrayed as ugly farmers (I hope not at least..)...

and Africans aren't generally depicted as crazy ugly zombies.

man, this thread pisses me off. So, RE5 is set in Africa, in some sort of poor village which is SO DIFFERENT from reality. People have been infected by a virus, and turn into cannibal zombies. SO RACIST

Jacobi

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
nobody is taking offense to the idea of shooting black people. JESUS. Its the imagery. Its the way the setting looks and what kind of history that evokes.
What freaking history? I don't get it at all
Does this have something to do with blackface? With fat-lipped Square RPG characters?
I dob't get that shit at all. Then again, people on the OT have told me 10,000 BC was racist

timmy

I haven't read anything beyond the first post but I'm guessing most of this thread amounts to: "Racism doesn't exist and fuck anyone who thinks they observe it."

How did I do?

Synless

Htown said:

So this is racist...

That ad wasn't racist to begin with, ignorant people get offended easily. That's all it ever has been and it's all it ever will be.

D-X

Htown said:

So this is racist...

white-psp-europe.jpg

This advert is meant to be provocative - which is why it was banned and would never fly in the UK or US. The tag line alone more than insinuates white supremacy(or some bullshit like that) even though they did do an opposite advert with the tables turned to cover their arses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom