• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2004 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

OMG, please Nashville take a forward so Marek Schwartz is available for the Isles to take... that would be soooooo perfect.

dem

Damn... everyones gunna be gone by 25. =(

Btw... strange no one is mentioning the Schremp/Wolski fall

edit:

Great.. the flames trade down to 24. Theyre going to THEIF OUR PLAYER

Damn.. I thought Korpiwhatever was gunna be going to the Oilers..

calder

I'm ambivalent about the Flames trading down to pick up a second rounder. I guess it depends on who they pick up at 24, but I wanted wolski. :(

Bah, Kaspar would have been fine.

dem

Blah.. I shoulda been keeping track of whos available.

Schremp and Bolland are the only 2 forwards that come to mind that I want..

oh shit.. Meszaros is still available isnt he? Hmmmm. Hed look good on the Oilers d

Edit
Ok.. theres goe meszaros

calder

Schremp, Bolland or Kris Chucko would be A-OK in my book.

SCHREMP. Do it, Sutter can whip the sass out of him.

<------- WTF? that tag just will not stand. >:|

calder

Chucko, I knew it. J'approve!

lol glad I'm not the only one who laughed at Sutter breaking down in tears of joy and hopping up in Phaneuf's arms last year.

calder

I still wanted Schremp. But hey if he does have "attitude" I'm sure it'll blow up in Edmonton in a few years anyway. Let them deal with another Comrie. :p

calder

LOL oiler fans enjoy Schremp for exactly 2.5 seconds... the time it takes Pierre McGuire to bring up Jason Bonsignore. Hahah, I still bug my oiler fan friends about Bonsignore. I probably shouldn't Jason was over a PPG in the ECHL last year. ;)

dem

Bah
You cant go wrong with Schremp at 25 man.
TWENTY FIVE

This guy could have went top 10 and no one would have blinked an eye. This draft just turned around for me! =)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Corey Schneider! Burke was right! We miss you, Brian! Dave Nonis looked like he was going to crap his pants while making the selection, how nervous can you be? Yeesh.

HARD NOSED SCRAPPING GOALIE GET

dem

Whoever gets Mike Green is getting a STEAL
Talk about underrated

And there he goes to the Caps. They sure like them boys from the dub.

calder

Green gets picked up by the Caps. A couple of my brothers saw the Blades play the Wheaties this year and they felt bad about how bad they were. Anyone who can survive playing for them should be fine. ;)

TSN is going to the Euro game right away, guess they won't do the second round this year. That's cool, I want to watch Sweden get smacked by the Netherlands.

Hasek to the Sens... that's just so wrong on so many levels I almost can't think about it. Oh well, the Sens were 'my team' when they sucked but were getting better - once they became an elite team you stop caring so much. Picking up Hasek would almost make me not want them to win the Cup at all - I hate that fucker that much. *AND* I think taking Hasek is a terrible mistake anyway, he's a shadow of his former self, he'll get hurt, he'll fuck up the room and on and on.... seriously the Sens are a flawed elite team, and picking up Hasek makes them more brittle and likely to bend over in the second round.

dem

Nothing really

They opened the show talking about how the ducks were going to dump some players.. but nothing happened.

Didnt really expect anything to happen with the whole cba thing going on.

Malakhov

Banned
I don't know what to think of this deal. I'm happy we're getting Bonk, we needed a 3rd center but they freaking traded Mathieu Garon for him. I had Garon above Theo in a very near future, I'm so pissed :(

Malakhov

Banned
dem said:
LA made out like bandits in that transaction...
Not really, an unproven backup goalie can't fetch more than this really. Sharks got a 2nd rounder for Kipper last year. It's the market, though I know it's gonna come back and bite us in the ass.

Malakhov

Banned
On the other hand I'm really happy with the Habs picking Chipchura, a big center who can play both sides pretty well. He was a safe pick though seeing as he's only being projected as a 3rd line player.

calder

Huet really fits the mold of a backup better than Garon, but I think Garon still has more potential to be a #1. Getting Bonk is not bad, he's a solid 2-way centre who'll get some points and play good D, but he'll let you down *every time* you need him to step up and be a true first line centre. He's decent for 3.5 mill, but as a RFA he'll likely have to be overpaid a bit to resign him. He's not a total playoff bust anymore, but he sure disappeared against the damn Leafs.

dem

Most people see Garon as a future starter.

The Kings gave up Cristobal freaking Huet and moved down not even 20 draft spots to pick up Garon. I'm sorry.. they made out like bandits.

Not to mention the Kings NEEEDED a goalie. Instead of drafting one and waiting 4 years.. they skip the 4 years and get a nice young goalie with plenty of upside in Garon. Wonderful move by Taylor.

Malakhov

Banned
Nah, like I said, it's the market for an unproven goalie ie: Garon, Kipper, Gerber etc.. You just can't get more than those type of deals for them. The goalie market right now is at an all time low, you've got lots of them looking for a team right now.

Getting Bonk is not bad, he's a solid 2-way centre who'll get some points and play good D, but he'll let you down *every time* you need him to step up and be a true first line centre.
We don't need him as a first line center, we've already got one, Mr. Captain Courage himself, Koivu :p I think we're gonna use Bonk as a 3rd center behind Koivu and Ribeiro or maybe we can try him out as a LW with Ribeiro and Ryder.

dem

Sorry... I see Garon a step above Kipper(was playing TERRIBLE when he got traded) and most definitely Gerber(29 years old).

The point is they gave up NOTHING for a definite upgrade in goal. Moving back less than 20 spots that late in the draft is NOTHING.

Malakhov

Banned
That's the market my son, that's the market.

Kings basicly gave up 20 spots in the draft, Radek Bonk and Huet for Garon. It's a very fair deal for an unproven backup goalie.

What's the worst part about this trade? With Bonk and his 3.5 millions onboard, we can say goodbye to Kovalev :(

dem

Malakhov said:
That's the market my son, that's the market.

Kings basicly gave up 20 spots in the draft, Radek Bonk and Huet for Garon. It's a very fair deal for an unproven backup goalie.

What's the worst part about this trade? With Bonk and his 3.5 millions onboard, we can say goodbye to Kovalev :(

No.. they didnt give up Bonk/Huet/20 spots. They got Bonk for a draft pick. They then traded Bonk and Huet for Garon and a draft pick.
They got an upgrade for nothing. Youre looking at it all wrong. Im not even saying the Habs made out bad... I just think the Kings made out very good.

Malakhov

Banned
dem said:
No.. they didnt give up Bonk/Huet/20 spots. They got Bonk for a draft pick. They then traded Bonk and Huet for Garon and a draft pick.
They got an upgrade for nothing. Youre looking at it all wrong.
Nope, they gave up the 77th pick for Bonk.
Then they traded Bonk and Huet to Montreal for Garon and the 95th pick.

That's going down almost 20 picks, losing Bonk and Huet.

Like I said, fair deal for all parties involved.

dem

Malakhov said:
Nope, they gave up the 77th pick for Bonk.
Then they traded Bonk and Huet to Montreal for Garon and the 95th pick.

That's going down almost 20 picks, losing Bonk and Huet.

Like I said, fair deal for all parties involved.

Sigh.
They came into the day with the 77th pick and Cristobol Huet. They ended the day with the 95th pick and Garon. Dont even think about Bonk or the Habs. Think about the KINGS and what they started the day with.. and ended the day with.

dem

They never had any intention of KEEPING Bonk. Youre looking at it all wrong.

They started the day with 77th and Huet
They ended the day with 95th and Garon

At the end of the day 95th and Garon >>> 77th and Huet. End of story.

Malakhov

Banned
If you want to look at it like that then:

Habs started the day with Garon and a 95th pick, they ended up the day with Bonk and Huet.

That's a very nice tradeoff.

Malakhov

Banned
You said the Kings made it out like bandits, wich is far from the truth, they made out good but just as good as the Habs.

dem

They did make out like bandits.. they UPGRADED IN GOAL FOR NOTHING.

Seriously just end this right now... you're being retarded.

Malakhov

Banned
Sorry, that's a game you'll have to play on your own. I won't go as low as you and start to use personal insults like you are just because someone else doesn't share the same opinion as me on an hockey trade.

dem

Oh cry me a river.
I didnt even say you ARE retarded... I said youre BEING retarded... and its the truth. Only in your world does something for nothing = average trade.

So we traded our 19th for #24 and #46 (second round). We draft Chucko in the first then trade our second rounder for two third rounders (70 & 98). We draft Brandon Prust at 70 and I have no idea who 90 is.

Started the day with one pick. Ending the day with three. Not bad. Chucko satisfies me although I would rather we had kept the second rounder.

Sutter knows best though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom