• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2023-2024 Season |OT| My Other Ride’s a Zamboni

zAOnu2x.jpg

It’s about that time, the best time of year. The winds are getting colder, the leaves are starting to change, and the preseason is underway.

2023-2024 Season Schedule

Season Standings

Stats

Scores

Tickets

Cuddle up with a blanket and light a candle. Check your local listings and catch a little preseason before the real shit begins.
I’m watching the first Stars game broadcasted here, against the Avalanche.

Who’s your team? What are you expectations this year?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As a Canucks fan, I was happy with the outcome. ;) to be honest though I wish they didn't run the score up like that. Give 3rd and 4th liners some play time.
Its amazing how if you look at Edmonton's draft history, they never seem to focus on good goalies and dmen. Aside from the 80s dynasty of Coffey and overrated flopping Fuhr (Moog was better), it's like 40 years focusing on forwards. even when everyone knows they need D and G, they'll usually skew to a forward as their top pick.

And when it comes to trading for much needed D and G, how often have they ever done that? lol.

As crazy as it seems, their best goalie on paper since the Fuhr/Moog days might be Tommy Salo.

My thinking is the fanbase is so used to the high power Gretzky days, they can never try being a balanced team or a shut down defensive team due to legacy. The fans would be bored to death.

Good on Elias Petterson. He's young, but I didn't think he'd get better than his early years. He'd be one of those skilled Swedes who get pushed around tapping out. But he's gotten better and during the game they were showing clips he throw hits too. I'd never had guessed he would be a 100 pt player.

Last edited:

Durien

Its amazing how if you look at Edmonton's draft history, they never seem to focus on good goalies and dmen. Aside from the 80s dynasty of Coffey and overrated flopping Fuhr (Moog was better), it's like 40 years focusing on forwards. even when everyone knows they need D and G, they'll usually skew to a forward as their top pick.

And when it comes to trading for much needed D and G, how often have they ever done that? lol.

As crazy as it seems, their best goalie on paper since the Fuhr/Moog days might be Tommy Salo.

My thinking is the fanbase is so used to the high power Gretzky days, they can never try being a balanced team or a shut down defensive team due to legacy. The fans would be bored to death.
Yeah I hear you man, but the NHL wants the speedy game. They stopped the trap defense, they stopped the goalie playing the puck in the corner, they removed the 2 line pass penalty. The nhl wants the game sped up because its exciting. I seriously thought the Oilers and their magical power play were going to win the cup last year. In all my years of watching hockey, I don't think I have ever seen a team with power play units that were *that* good. It was crazy!

I feel for you and your goalie woes. Canucks had the best tandem in Canucks history and they threw it away with all the drama..

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah I hear you man, but the NHL wants the speedy game. They stopped the trap defense, they stopped the goalie playing the puck in the corner, they removed the 2 line pass penalty. The nhl wants the game sped up because its exciting. I seriously thought the Oilers and their magical power play were going to win the cup last year. In all my years of watching hockey, I don't think I have ever seen a team with power play units that were *that* good. It was crazy!

I feel for you and your goalie woes. Canucks had the best tandem in Canucks history and they threw it away with all the drama..
Ha. I'm not even an Oilers fan. Worse. Leafs. :( At least they beat Habs opening night. It's got to a point all us Leaf fans just go with it. Expectations are basically solid regular season, and if another early round exit happens thats expected. No knowledgeable fan thinks all these tiny 3rd and 4th line tweaks, and trade deadline rentals will be enough to win a cup. As soon as JT finally leaves that can free up money for better D.

Oilers will always have a hard time in the playoffs since their team lets in 3-4 goals per game. Even with the best PP, they need to score around 5 goals per game in the playoffs to win the cup. Thats not happening.

Last edited:

Musashipan

Not a big fan of hockey, but since I play the Tim Hortons nhl challenge, I need to pick players that I think will score. That being said, I cheer for Vancouver, since it was the first place I've been in Canada and first game I've watched! I know the sux tho lol...

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Matthews has been a fucking beast in the first 2 games. Leafs offence looking filthy.

This could truly be the year

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Not a big fan of hockey, but since I play the Tim Hortons nhl challenge, I need to pick players that I think will score. That being said, I cheer for Vancouver, since it was the first place I've been in Canada and first game I've watched! I know the sux tho lol...
Its a fantastic sport. Hard hitting, highly skilled, intense as fuck, and fast. Also the ultimate team sport. Pick a team and start following.

Vancouver was top tier back in 2009-2011. But have been trash for the past 7ish years.

However, this year, so far in the 2 games they've played. They've looked like an entirely different team - You may have a surprise awaiting you

Durien

Its a fantastic sport. Hard hitting, highly skilled, intense as fuck, and fast. Also the ultimate team sport. Pick a team and start following.

Vancouver was top tier back in 2009-2011. But have been trash for the past 7ish years.

However, this year, so far in the 2 games they've played. They've looked like an entirely different team - You may have a surprise awaiting you
Watching the Canucks play from like 2005 to 2012 was awesome. This is one of my favorite Canucks moments:

After watching the Blackhawks knock the Canucks out of the playoffs 2 years in a row, the Canucks were up 3 games to 1 and the Blackhawks came back to force a game 7. Then this happened in OT.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My Canadiens are in a rebuilding phase but I'm not too bothered by it since I saw 4 Stanley Cup parades in the 70's & 1986.

But hell that was a long time ago.

And that thing with Carey Price was weird.
He was obviously out but kept hanging around.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oilers second last team in the league with a 2-8-1 record. They just waived their $5M/yr goalie. Calling up a journeyman goalie in the minors who has floated around NHL teams in the past. Ouch.

As everyone knows, bad defence and bad goaltending. The key thing keeping them alive for years is a star studded offence to win games 6-4 and 7-5. But this year it's dried up so far..... but their defence and goalies are just as bad as always.

McDavid is the best forward in the league and Draisaitl is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best forward (some people will put MacKinnon as second). Two of the best players in the league and they are second worst team in the league. They are one of those teams that never puts any serious attention to defence. Every year, it's all about run and gun offence. And when it comes to draft day, they usually use their pick for the best forward available.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Vancouver on fire. Scoring is through the roof and Demko is rock solid.

Durien

Oilers second last team in the league with a 2-8-1 record. They just waived their $5M/yr goalie. Calling up a journeyman goalie in the minors who has floated around NHL teams in the past. Ouch.

As everyone knows, bad defence and bad goaltending. The key thing keeping them alive for years is a star studded offence to win games 6-4 and 7-5. But this year it's dried up so far..... but their defence and goalies are just as bad as always.

McDavid is the best forward in the league and Draisaitl is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best forward (some people will put MacKinnon as second). Two of the best players in the league and they are second worst team in the league. They are one of those teams that never puts any serious attention to defence. Every year, it's all about run and gun offence. And when it comes to draft day, they usually use their pick for the best forward available.
As a Canucks fan, I watched that game and the Oilers came out rocking. The first 11 minutes of the game they had a goal and 20 shots on goal I think. Then the canucks scored 3 goals in I think about 3 minutes. The first was an own goal. After the 3rd goal, the team just deflated. They had moments of awesomeness but then they just kept doing stupid crap that landed them in the penalty box. Even their coach got thrown out of the game and McDavid ended up with a 10 minute. It will be interesting to see how the Oilers do against the sharks who can't seem to play period. Their goalie's GAA is over 5 and the top 3 minus leaders are all Sharks with minuses in the teens...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As a Canucks fan, I watched that game and the Oilers came out rocking. The first 11 minutes of the game they had a goal and 20 shots on goal I think. Then the canucks scored 3 goals in I think about 3 minutes. The first was an own goal. After the 3rd goal, the team just deflated. They had moments of awesomeness but then they just kept doing stupid crap that landed them in the penalty box. Even their coach got thrown out of the game and McDavid ended up with a 10 minute. It will be interesting to see how the Oilers do against the sharks who can't seem to play period. Their goalie's GAA is over 5 and the top 3 minus leaders are all Sharks with minuses in the teens...
Oilers are bad so far, but Sharks are on another level of bad although they might beat Philly tonight (as i type they are actually winning 1-0). If Oilers lose to Sharks, the coach has got to get fired. Even though it's not always the coaches fault, the coach always goes first just to shake up the team.

Gerard gallant's name is floated around. He'd be a good choice as he would allow enough flexibility for players to play, but also add some defence strategies. His regular season records across all teams he's coached is universally pretty good. His playoffs are a disaster, but for sake of turnaround give Gallant a chance.

Canucks look incredible. I never thought Demko was the greatest, but this year he's on fire.

Last edited:

Durien

Vancouver on fire. Scoring is through the roof and Demko is rock solid.
If you scroll up, you can see where I was just hoping they make the playoffs. I am about as surprised as any Canucks' fan. It isn't they are just playing weak teams, they are holding their own against good teams as well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you scroll up, you can see where I was just hoping they make the playoffs. I am about as surprised as any Canucks' fan. It isn't they are just playing weak teams, they are holding their own against good teams as well.
Demko is playing incredible. when I've watched their games late night, it's hard to tell how good defensively they are as it's so much easier to isolate if forwards or goalies are good or not, and whether Hughes is zipping around.

But the forwards are not just scoring but they got some grit to them. Petersson is getting in the weeds instead of a perimeter game and Boeser is scoring in bunches.

Makes sense as Tocchet is coach. Canucks played well last year when he took over and now he's got a full season. And he was a gritty player when he played. His coaching record on arizona is respectable given how bad the roster is. But now he's got a good roster to coach. So far it's been excellent.

Durien

Do they really have a chance? It's so unpredictable, I mean, last year I was certain that Boston would win...

Lots of Vancouver fans here, are yall Canadians?
No, but I live in Washington State. My family has been following the Canucks for so long that we refuse to cheer for the Kraken until the Canucks win a cup. At least that is the way I feel ;)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Campbell cleared waivers, will be assigned to AHL. Nobody wanted him.

Do they really have a chance? It's so unpredictable, I mean, last year I was certain that Boston would win...

Lots of Vancouver fans here, are yall Canadians?
Probably not. Colorado and Vegas seem too good. But if they make it to second or third round I think that's achievable.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lets go Leafs!

As per Maesto's bracket, I have a boring bracket. I dont see any big upsets except maybe TB beating Florida (you never know with TB), but I still stuck with Florida, and Leafs edging Boston (Ullmark is junk in playoffs). To me, Colorado/Winnipeg are a toss up. I chose Colorado simply on experience and that Jets never go far in the playoffs, though on paper they often look good and have home ice. They are a cursed team. Even when you include their former franchise stats, they are one of those first round loser teams almost every time. Making it to the second round is like hitting the lottery. And in franchise history going all the way back I think they've made it to the conference finals once and lost. Thats it.

I see Edmonton and NYR in the finals. As long as Oilers goaltending doesn't tank it (Skinner played solid after a shaky first month) they can finally make a run with a reliable goalie. And Rangers as a whole are solid top to bottom.

Dallas
Colorado
Vanc
Edmonton

Florida
Leafs
Rangers
Carolina

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My sad sack rebuilding Canadiens are playing golf for the 3rd year in a row but I do love me some playoffs.
Gonna watch Boston vs Toronto.

Durien

Let's go Canucks! I can't believe we did as good as we did this year. If you scroll up and see my comments, you'll see I said I would be happy if we made the playoffs. Now we sit atop the Pacific and 2nd in the conference.

Vyse

Gold Member
Happy my Knights made it to the playoffs to defend the cup. Been a crazy ride this season. Need to take out the Stars next.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The Buffalo Sabres have the #1 ranked prospect class in the entire league. We're going to be sick next year as long as Daniel Briere can stay healthy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fuckers. They really need that JT $11M off the books. One more year. Marner at $11M is another one to get rid of. I'm sure a team out there will trade for him. Keep AM and Nyander and Rielly.

Sink the JT and Marner savings into 2 dmen and a legit goalie. Or 1 good two-way forward like a Kadri/Hyman kind of player again, 1 dman, 1 goalie.

They are so salary capped, they keep trying to get by with journeymen $3-4M dmen and goalies hoping they play like $8M guys.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wild run and gun game now just past the mid way between Winnipeg and Colorado. 4-3 already. On paper, I think this is the closest matchup in round 1.

If you guys have never seen a home game in Winnipeg it's awesome. White out.

Last edited:

Durien

Demko is hurt again so out for game 2. Canucks put deSmith in. 1st shot less than 2 minutes into the 1st period goes by desmith. 2 more have gone by him.

This was me asking the goalie gods why they have forsaken the Canucks:
826zAi6.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dallas tanking. Looks like they are done down 0-2.

Demko is hurt again so out for game 2. Canucks put deSmith in. 1st shot less than 2 minutes into the 1st period goes by desmith. 2 more have gone by him.

This was me asking the goalie gods why they have forsaken the Canucks:
826zAi6.gif
Canucks done. He's now out week to week. Pretty much out for series. DeSmith is an avg goalie at best and isnt the type of guy to get hot and carry a team.

Durien

Dallas tanking. Looks like they are done down 0-2.

Canucks done. He's now out week to week. Pretty much out for series. DeSmith is an avg goalie at best and isnt the type of guy to get hot and carry a team.
Dude, for some odd reason we always have goalie drama. It's never a winger or defenseman. Salo was always injured for one bad reason or another but the other D always picked up the slack. However our offense needs to score too.

Top Bottom