• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February Thread - Ovechking sez, "Bang a hooker, then score 4 goals! Hi ladies!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
cujo with a great save in the late seconds to lock the flame win. Both teams looked solid defensivley, but the offensive chances were nowhere to be found. That flames PP were they couldn't even gain the zone was pathetic.

Not a bad game overall.

I'm glad for CuJo. Leafs fan ball-washed him for years and then bashed him when he realized how pathetic this organization was and went to Detroit. In fact, Manics is one of those guys which makes me wonder why he rips Habs fans for the very same thing...

rs7k

It's a great week for a Habs fan, that's for sure. We play the Pens tomorrow. I always love it when both teams play, both are incredibly skilled teams going at it.

Any word on Crosby's return?

Awesome Stars vs Calgary game.. Sucks they got that last minute goal. Oh well San Jose lost.. and Anaheim is losing at the end of the 2nd.

SJ I feel somewhat bad for.. They are just getting eaten alive by the east.

Oh and in the section next to me at the Stars game tonight.. I have no clue wtf happened.. but at the end of the game I see a pile of people on top of eachother.. then 2 guys got out of it and then both lunged at eachother and flew down like 3-4 rows of seats.. ontop of other people.. It was crazy..

1 guy was wearing a red shirt but I dont think it was a Flames shirt.. and the other was wearing Stars gear.. I did hear him say "I TOLD YOU I WOULD DO THIS IF YOU TOUCHED BLAH BLAH"

Crazy shit :lol

purg3

slept with Malkin
rs7k said:
It's a great week for a Habs fan, that's for sure. We play the Pens tomorrow. I always love it when both teams play, both are incredibly skilled teams going at it.

Any word on Crosby's return?

He didn't practice today, so that's probably not a good sign. I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow. I agree though, I love when we play the Habs-- it's always an exciting game.

LOL
One of the best games I've ever been to. Still cracks me up.

Alucard

Banned
purg3 said:
He didn't practice today, so that's probably not a good sign. I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow. I agree though, I love when we play the Habs-- it's always an exciting game.

LOL

Am I the only one getting the feeling that we might not see Crosby again until the playoffs?...

Kingpen

purg3 said:

LOL

Hell yeah, I was in the burgh and Igloo front and center for that game, all the way from New Mexico. We won that game in a shootout as well.

Alucard said:
Am I the only one getting the feeling that we might not see Crosby again until the playoffs?...

According to the Post-Gazette:

Team officials said Crosby has not had a setback but deserved a day of rest after skating and working out several days in a row, including days the rest of the team was off. Staying behind also helped Crosby and the team avoid a likely media crush.

All signs seem to be pointing to a return around the 6 week mark, which isn't that bad at all.

He seems to be skating fine in all the videos I've seen.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I'm sick of both you guys. Anaheim gets Colorado a point tonight and Dallas loses to Phoenix and Calgary and probably comes in pissed and kicks our asses Saturday. grr

Fifty

You'll love Karakand once Sundin gets traded to Anaheim and then all of us annoying Leaf fans start cheering for the Ducks.

Karakand

Fifty said:
You'll love Karakand once Sundin gets traded to Anaheim and then all of us annoying Leaf fans start cheering for the Ducks.
It's basically like rooting for a Canadian team, I expect none of you to miss a beat.

Related: Drafting is overrated. If guys want to trade key championship pieces like George Parros for second round picks you can't really fault Burkie for taking them up on the offer. Somebody will exploit them... might as well be him.

fallout

Karakand said:
Related: Drafting is overrated. If guys want to trade key championship pieces like George Parros for second round picks you can't really fault Burkie for taking them up on the offer. Somebody will exploit them... might as well be him.
5 GP, 10 PIM ... but it's not about the stats, right? It's about the stache!

Karakand

Intangibles, grit, locker room leadership, let not ice hockey atheism blind you my friend. There is more to the game than that which can be expressly quantified!

fallout

Karakand said:
Intangibles, grit, locker room leadership, let not ice hockey atheism blind you my friend. There is more to the game than that which can be expressly quantified!
*looks on scoresheet*

Yeah, sorry dude ... grit, locker room leadership, unquantifiables? Not seeing any of those columns, here. Awesome SL (Stache Level), though ... I'm seeing a 42. That's pretty good! From what I recall, Ken Hitchcock has a 30-something and Lanny MacDonald's was around a 57 when he retired.

Glad to see Cujo back. His time as an Oiler made me a fan of the organization (though I barely care about them anymore) and a fan of him as a player. He comes up with some of the craziest flukey saves ever... good for him.

so Kevin Bieksa started his conditioning stint with the Canuck's AHL affiliate Manitoba Moose last night. the awesome part about the game?

the game was in overtime, with the teams playing 4 on 4. the other team was pressuring the Moose in their own zone, got a shot on net, Moose goalie (Macintyre) played the puck. other team intercepts, draws a penalty on the play. at 4 on 4, the other team pulls their goalie for the extra attacker while retaining possession in the Moose zone. player on the other team gets the puck behind Macintyre's net, throws it out in front, it deflects off a stick, goes all the way down the ice, and into the empty net.

Manitoba Moose goaltender Drew Macintyre scores the overtime game winning goal.

The Dopefish

Neo Member
*plop*

Hello everyone. First time poster...first time reader. I have been begged by one of my friends (I don't know his name on here, I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later) to register here and get in on the action, so I'm doing so. If anyone wants to point me in the direction of a "I'm new here!" thread, that'd be handy.

Anyway, I'm a Penguins fan -- been one since I started paying attention to hockey as a result of NHL 94 for the Genesis (noting here that I have been a fan through some pretty dark times). Of course, I'm excited about the team's current success and outlook...it's hard not to be when you've got the league's leading scorer and an MVP candidate (and he's not the best player on the team) and a Vezina candidate who if he had ever been awarded a trophy of any sort it would be "Worst single-game performance in net for a Canadian Stanley Cup finalist". Yeah, that's probably not true, which is more or less my point, but the fact of the matter is the man has gone from Oilers fans' scapegoat to Penguins fans' hero.

Now I feel that the media (or, at the very least, the fans) are overplaying the whole Fleury-versus-Conklin and Crosby-versus-Malkin thing. (Isn't it odd how those two sets of names are sort of similar?) On the one hand, there isn't enough room for Fleury and Conklin on one team, but for this year, I'd say, leave them both on the team. We've seen a few teams in the last few years make good Cup runs with a platoon goaltending situation and with Fleury's talent (but lack of consistency) and Conklin's history it's sure to come in handy to have a pair of goaltenders who can win games themselves rather than shipping off one or the other for something (Fleury and a bag of pucks for a top-2 defenseman and some pylons?).

On the other hand, the argument that there isn't enough money for Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Fleury is both bogus and reasonable. Of course I agree with the notion that you can't have a deep team if you throw too much money at your top five players, but at the same time I think some people may be overvaluing Fleury (despite what I just insinuated in terms of a trade suggestion) and Staal (who, let's face it, probably wouldn't step up to the plate the same way Malkin has done since Sid went down). I'm not about to say we should keep Conklin and send Fleury on his merry way and kick Staal to the curb but for all the talent those two have it's hard to argue right now that we should keep them.

But isn't it BIZARRE how a guy like Conklin can just turn his value around with a 16-4 record and a fourth-best GAA and a league-best save percentage? We do have a problem on our hands in net, that's for sure.

Interesting:

Maple Leafs interim GM Cliff Fletcher flew home last night armed with a mandate to sit down with the club's captain and find out once and for all if he will waive his "no-movement" clause to go to a contender for the playoffs.

While Fletcher was fielding offers from the likes of the Anaheim Ducks, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, Vancouver Canucks and San Jose Sharks for Sundin, sources say nobody wants to go any further in discussions until they find out what Sundin plans to do.

Sources say some GMs were upset that Fletcher essentially completed a deal that would have sent defenceman Tomas Kaberle to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for centre Jeff Carter and a draft pick late Sunday.

But sources say Fletcher agreed to the trade with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and then found out from Kaberle's agent Rick Curran that the 29-year-old defenceman had no intention of waiving his no-trade clause.

"Guys don't want to do deals with (Fletcher) if it gets down to just completing the deal and then Sundin says he's not going to go anywhere," a league executive said yesterday. "I know a lot of the teams that are talking to them want reassurance, otherwise, it's going to be a waste of time for them

Link

beerbelly

Banned
Carter AND a draft pick for Kaberle? When does Carter's contract end? I think the offer was more than fear for the Leafs. A 23 year old Center + draft pick for a 29 year old defensemen.

Man it's like a country club atmosphere here for the Leafs. Why would they want to leave? Check out this quote from Raycroft...a guy who plays once every 3 months:

"Hey," says Raycroft, "the grass is not always greener. I don't know all the personal reasons why guys wouldn't want to leave. For me, it's a great city, a great organization and a great place to play.

"I think as a team, as a group of guys, we all enjoy each other. We think we have a good nucleus here."

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Raycrofts probably just grateful that he isn't playing for the Marlies yet. Now that I think of it it I wouldn't really want his crappy attitude to rub off on Pogge down there though.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
beerbelly said:
Carter AND a draft pick for Kaberle? When does Carter's contract end? I think the offer was more than fear for the Leafs. A 23 year old Center + draft pick for a 29 year old defensemen.

If it was Carter and a 1st round for Kaberle it was alright. Carter is an RFA this year. If it was Carter + Coburn + 1st then we lost out. Oh well Kaberle is going to retain his value through his contract anyway, if we still suck in 2009 we can still get a lot for him when his NTC expires.

beerbelly

Banned
R_GILL said:
If it was Carter and a 1st round for Kaberle it was alright. Carter is an RFA this year. If it was Carter + Coburn + 1st then we lost out. Oh well Kaberle is going to retain his value through his contract anyway, if we still suck in 2009 we can still get a lot for him when his NTC expires.

That would have been a megaton deal.

:(

May16

The Dopefish said:
*plop*

Hello everyone. First time poster...first time reader. I have been begged by one of my friends (I don't know his name on here, I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later) to register here and get in on the action, so I'm doing so.
Welcome aboard, new guy! :)

Manics

Banned
I don't buy any of the supposed "deals" that were worked out as reported by "sources". You may as well listen to Eklund if you start buying all these supposed deals that the Leafs ALMOST had. When something happens I'll believe it.

mCACGj

R_GILL said:

:lol :lol

No way the Flyers can afford to trade Coburn at this point. And this is Carter's final year, and he's played well enough to earn a good chunk of cash so I wouldn't mind it that much...Only problem is Carter has been the most consistent player on the ice for the Flyers for a while now, I wouldn't have really liked to see him go.

Also, why would the Flyers send arguably their best defenseman this year for him? I can understand trading a guy like Carter, but not your best d-guy (on top of a pick and Carter) for another defensive guy? Makes no sense.

Mike Works said:
so Kevin Bieksa started his conditioning stint with the Canuck's AHL affiliate Manitoba Moose last night. the awesome part about the game?

the game was in overtime, with the teams playing 4 on 4. the other team was pressuring the Moose in their own zone, got a shot on net, Moose goalie (Macintyre) played the puck. other team intercepts, draws a penalty on the play. at 4 on 4, the other team pulls their goalie for the extra attacker while retaining possession in the Moose zone. player on the other team gets the puck behind Macintyre's net, throws it out in front, it deflects off a stick, goes all the way down the ice, and into the empty net.

Manitoba Moose goaltender Drew Macintyre scores the overtime game winning goal.
http://theahl.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/HockeyOpsVideo/080220_mtb-chi.wmv

:lol

Kevin Bieksa called up for tonight's game :D

img.33814_t.jpg

BOOM BOOM BIEKSA

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
gettin my pregame on at happy hour down from the arena. just wanted to drop in and talk shit to my favorite nucks fans. 4 point game tonight! go preds!

The Dopefish said:
*plop*

Hello everyone. First time poster...first time reader. I have been begged by one of my friends (I don't know his name on here, I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later) to register here and get in on the action, so I'm doing so. If anyone wants to point me in the direction of a "I'm new here!" thread, that'd be handy.

Anyway, I'm a Penguins fan

Another one? It's like a disease! The NeoGAF Penguin Patrol™ is overrepresented so we're going to have to reassign you to another franchise such as *spins the wheel* the Carolina Hurricanes! Lucky you, we haven't seen too many of them around since the 2006 playoffs! Welcome aboard and please give us a 300 word analysis on your new favorite team's recent trade with Ottawa and/or the Brind'Amour injury.....

Just kidding.:D
But seriously, the Devils are going to break your heart once again!

Sibylus

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
yea man don't talk shit about hurting them, all we got going for us is jeff "punching bag" cowan.
What, riling up fans of the other team is fun, who cares if it doesn't make sense :lol

sefskillz said:
I'm sick of both you guys. Anaheim gets Colorado a point tonight and Dallas loses to Phoenix and Calgary and probably comes in pissed and kicks our asses Saturday. grr

Dallas beat Anaheim and Detroit between those games FYI.. and we play Edmonton before we play you on Friday at home..

Edmonton though always gets schooled by the Stars.. its just like one of those things..

But with desperate teams that want a playoff spot comes deseperate play.. so who knows they may win for once :p

The Dopefish

Neo Member
Well the Chris Simon suspension watch is on. Anyone want to place a wager on the over-under for him to get a call from Colin Campbell again?

I say 15 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom