• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Quick

Banned
Kave learns to play hockey - final update

It's all over and unfortunately I don't come here with happy news. My team made it to the finals and we lost 1-0. First time we were shut out all year and first time we were so frustrated.

I'm just going to get my salt out of the way right now and yes I have no problem with any of you laughing at me being so salty over losing in beginner hockey but I'm so salty right now.

The other team knew they couldn't beat us straight up so they resorted to playing the trap all game. All credit to them their plan worked but I'm still salty about it. 1 light forechecker, 3 guys at the blue line and one guy in front of the net waiting to clear out anything we'd try to dump in. They capitalized on our one mistake all game and managed to score and just sat back for the remaining 1.5 periods after the goal.

I'm upset because I just couldn't do more to help my team, I wish I was better but dems the brakes we still had a fantastic season all in all, so that's all I'll say about that.

That said this whole experience has been absolutely amazing. After the game my teammates unanimously voted me most improved player and I'm just absolutely honoured they would do that. I worked really hard and looking back I can finally admit I really did improve much. I was a guy on day 1 of the season couldn't even make it through 15 minutes of practice to finishing tied for 4th overall in league scoring and second in assists.

I've found my niche despite being a shorter guy (5'8) I was one of the more solid guys down low. I discovered I am very strong on the puck behind the net, and I'm hard to move once I park my fat ass in front of the net.

The whole learning to play hockey thing was definitely helped out a ton by having such a great team and teammates who were very encouraging and would always give me advice when I asked for it. I know a couple people here got a bit interested in trying this out. Honestly give it a shot. I jumped into this knowing no one, having never played hockey in my life and I had a blast. I'm already looking towards tons of shinny in the summer and probably a few power skating classes as I really want to improve my skating.

So thank you everyone for humouring me and reading my updates and giving me the encouragement along the way, I really appreciated it. I definitely will be keeping up with it going forward.

Hockey is really one of the greatest sports in the entire world.

giphy.gif

Kave, your updates have been a bright spot in NHL-GAF. I'd honestly rather read these updates than Leafs updates.

Keep up the good work, and keep us updated on how you're doing.

One step closer to the NHL-GAF game. :D

Good shit Kave. Sorry you had to play against the 2009 New Jersey Devils.

Hockey is the best ever. I'm thankful to live vicariously through your venture.

Big-E

Nonis is such an inept person. Rode coattails in Vancouver and did fuck all there then gets to ride more coattails in Toronto. Hope no team picks him up.

It's all over and unfortunately I don't come here with happy news. My team made it to the finals and we lost 1-0. First time we were shut out all year and first time we were so frustrated.

I'm just going to get my salt out of the way right now and yes I have no problem with any of you laughing at me being so salty over losing in beginner hockey but I'm so salty right now.

The other team knew they couldn't beat us straight up so they resorted to playing the trap all game. All credit to them their plan worked but I'm still salty about it. 1 light forechecker, 3 guys at the blue line and one guy in front of the net waiting to clear out anything we'd try to dump in. They capitalized on our one mistake all game and managed to score and just sat back for the remaining 1.5 periods after the goal.

I'm upset because I just couldn't do more to help my team, I wish I was better but dems the brakes we still had a fantastic season all in all, so that's all I'll say about that.

That said this whole experience has been absolutely amazing. After the game my teammates unanimously voted me most improved player and I'm just absolutely honoured they would do that. I worked really hard and looking back I can finally admit I really did improve much. I was a guy on day 1 of the season couldn't even make it through 15 minutes of practice to finishing tied for 4th overall in league scoring and second in assists.

I've found my niche despite being a shorter guy (5'8) I was one of the more solid guys down low. I discovered I am very strong on the puck behind the net, and I'm hard to move once I park my fat ass in front of the net.

The whole learning to play hockey thing was definitely helped out a ton by having such a great team and teammates who were very encouraging and would always give me advice when I asked for it. I know a couple people here got a bit interested in trying this out. Honestly give it a shot. I jumped into this knowing no one, having never played hockey in my life and I had a blast. I'm already looking towards tons of shinny in the summer and probably a few power skating classes as I really want to improve my skating.

So thank you everyone for humouring me and reading my updates and giving me the encouragement along the way, I really appreciated it. I definitely will be keeping up with it going forward.

Dude, that's awesome. Have to let us know how next season goes.

Montresor

I don't mean to sound insensitive but that sounds like an incredible strategy that the other team employed. Those are cold-blooded tactics to resort to in a non-professional environment.

There must be a way to combat that, right? Did your coach or teammates talk about what to do if that happens again next year?

Slap Shots has been told by two sources that the Kings locked the door to their locker room following a defeat on the road within the last two weeks so that Sutter could not get in and deliver what the players apparently expected to be another in a series of lectures/tirades.

As the tale was told, after Sutter finally tracked down an arena operative to unlock the door, he was greeted by three heavy waste receptacles lined up as barricade to what had become an empty room.

http://deadspin.com/kings-gm-confir...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Samyy

Didn't get to react too much to the news yesterday since I had a huge exam (and another 4 to go over the next 7 days....) but man I feel so good about the Leafs right now. Yea we'll probably suck for at least 3 years but at least there looks like theirs a planning moving forward with more competent people in charge.

zroid

Banned
Right, how fucking dumb is that?
Christ...

this also puts some context behind Eakins's "veterans-first" approach with the Marlies that's he's often criticized for -- he was made to coach that way by the organization. What a dumb shit regime this was.

calder

I burned through three episodes of Daredevil last night and now I'm on the tenth. I just couldn't stop watching, the show is doing a great job of tying everything together and even making (short) flashbacks work. I normally hate flashbacks, but here I'm pumped because it's showing us that the things it never bothered explaining early on weren't just ignored or forgotten but were set to the side deliberately until the viewer actually needed to know.

Most surprising thing about the show for me: the way it makes the supporting characters interesting and has them doing useful, logical shit that has nothing to do with Daredevil directly but still tells you a lot about the setting and how shit works in the MCU.

Quick

Banned
I burned through three episodes of Daredevil last night and now I'm on the tenth. I just couldn't stop watching, the show is doing a great job of tying everything together and even making (short) flashbacks work. I normally hate flashbacks, but here I'm pumped because it's showing us that the things it never bothered explaining early on weren't just ignored or forgotten but were set to the side deliberately until the viewer actually needed to know.

Most surprising thing about the show for me: the way it makes the supporting characters interesting and has them doing useful, logical shit that has nothing to do with Daredevil directly but still tells you a lot about the setting and how shit works in the MCU.

Exactly my thoughts, especially about the flashbacks.

The cinematography has been great, as well. Particularly the first episode with Matt's living room in the dark.

Socreges

Banned
It's goooooooooooood. Wilson Fisk whispers too much and Foggy talks too much, but other than that it is some good shiiieeeeetttt.
The actor who plays Foggy Nelson sucks. My only complaint.

Hes got a great slapshot, but so far that matters dick in the Marvel universe.

Quick

Banned
I think Elden Henson gets better as the show continues. I found his acting felt forced in the first episode, and better afterwards.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Hello.

Sorry you didn't win Kave but I enjoyed your updates.

Daredevil is so good. I've watched the first 5 episodes. I legit can't watch some of the scenes, like the end of episode 4. D:

Also, I like Foggy.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I don't mean to sound insensitive but that sounds like an incredible strategy that the other team employed. Those are cold-blooded tactics to resort to in a non-professional environment.

There must be a way to combat that, right? Did your coach or teammates talk about what to do if that happens again next year?

I give kudos to the other team they did what they had to do to win. Just doesn't mean I like the way they did it.

They didn't engage in any offense at all. Didn't rush the puck up anything, just dumped and waited for us to get the puck and try to force it into their zone.

I'm sure there are ways to counter it. First thought was just dump and chase but when you aren't really fast enough to do that when they already have someone back there waiting to intercept any puck that comes in and ice it out makes it frustrating.

Either way I'm over it now and can focus on Samyy spitting some knowledge to me about the future of the Leafs.

fallout

As someone who has played on shitty teams in various competitive soccer leagues for over a decade, I think you should definitely be happy with your results, Kave.

The teams I play on maybe score a goal sometimes, draw the odd game and if we win one, we celebrate like we won a championship. In over ten years, I've never scored a goal and the concept of me ever playing in a finals game in any league would be like my equivalent of Miracle on Ice.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

calder

Bottom line - the Leafs organization miscast Kave_Man as a depth player and tried to force him into a role without seeing his true potential. Hopefully the new regime can sort that team out and Kave can truly excel next season.

Looking forward to next years updates Kave!

Oh and thanks to Twitter I know what Hell looks like now.

CCfEvuuUAAAoyOM.jpg:large

Pikma

Banned
As someone who has played on shitty teams in various competitive soccer leagues for over a decade, I think you should definitely be happy with your results, Kave.

The teams I play on maybe score a goal sometimes, draw the odd game and if we win one, we celebrate like we won a championship. In over ten years, I've never scored a goal and the concept of me ever playing in a finals game in any league would be like my equivalent of Miracle on Ice.
there was a time when I actually played soccer, it was really fun even though I don't enjoy watching it, and played as a GK and in one of the games I scored on a corner kick seconds before the game ended, felt like winning the fucking world cup.

calder

i'm pretty sure any place with Steve Simmons in it, is, by definition, hell

But that's like Super Hell, because it's crowded, probably hot and smelly, and it's full of TO media. Add the fact that Simmons is almost certainly hitting on some young female reporter with a casual "so... how *you* doing?" and it has to be as bad as hell gets.

Top Bottom