• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II New Wyverns' Den area gameplay

Much as I loved the world map in number 1, I think this looks great too. Also psyched over things like RTS army battles. Even if they're not optimally balanced, always like it when RPGs periodically shift up gameplay with things like tactical battles or base building.

Diablos

Is it just me or do the battles seem way more in depth and challenging?

Everything looks great, even the world map. Seriously can't wait to play this.

Exentryk

I usually don't really care for RTS stuff in games, but here it actually looks pretty decent. It's fast paced, and somewhat tactical as well given the need to rotate the units (having archers at the back and melee units in the front). The terrain also adds to the strategy as you can find a cliff to the side and use archers from there, etc.

Re overworld, yes I preferred the NNK1 look more, but I guess devs needed to do this look because of this kingdom building and RTS battles concept. So I guess it's fine.

I'm looking forward to seeing what rare Higgledies we can get and seeing what cool abilities they'll bring to the combat. The dark Higgledies causing a flashy stun move was neat to see.

Linkura

Like DQVIII's? It was more like DQIX's or the 3DS version of DQXI's I think with a more overhead view versus the behind the character view in VIII. It was a happy medium between old school and modern and it maintained a visual consistency that is lacking with this new approach. Still a gorgeous game though.
I'm talking about the scope and exploration aspect more than the camera angle.

spad3

Played the first one on PS3 out of curiosity, turned out to be one of my favorite PS3 games of all time. Absolutely loved the charm, the story, the gameplay, everything.

Easily one of the best JRPGs ever made IMO.

Can't wait for the sequel, the new locales look great!

blackjon24

Why these ugly character designs in the over world? It's like the game is this close to having a perfect visual presentation but they go and sabotage it.

A real shame I'm still getting this game just a weird design decision that I wish they would have changed.

However, compare it to the first game's overworld, one of the finest in recent memory:

While the picture isn't the best, the cel-shaded characters remain in proportion and the aesthetic is more anime-esque, rather than the tonal shift in graphic styles present in the new overworld ("realistically" textured landscapes and chibis).

The rest of Revenant Kingdom looks to be a very pleasant improvement on the original, but the original game's world map was probably my favourite bit of the game (Joe Hisaishi's overworld theme is one of the best pieces of game music ever, which helps!), so it is a little disappointing.

I agree with everything you're saying. Thankfully it's not a deal breaker for me.

Just please replace the chibi characters.

Why these ugly character designs in the over world? It's like the game is this close to having a perfect visual presentation but they go and sabotage it.

A real shame I'm still getting this game just a weird design decision that I wish they would have changed.

Well it seems to make sense , since the over world design is also used in
large scale battle ( with troops )
.. if think it's a late game spoiler ?

Exentryk

PeriodicVigilantKillerwhale.gif

Exentryk

Damn that looks great.

I'm so glad they ditched the familiars battle system and went full real time combat.

Yeah, it's looking amazing! Nice skills, ranged attacks, Higgledies, character switching, etc., all is coming together really well!

FabulousLimpAmazondolphin.gif

Cautiously optimistic about the combat, would have taken turnbased too but as long as it isn't a chaotic mess like ffxv, I'm fine with it.

Exentryk

I am hoping we get some sort of a playable demo before the full game release.

for sure.

You should do all the graphics for the OT!!! Just sayin'..... ya know, throwing the idea out there...

I'm no good with images and editing. I can do some key gifs though, sure. The official website will have some nice art that can be used for the OT.

Top Bottom