• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

let's be real. who actually defends. last night i just was like f it. i'll take the dmg. can't wait for tomorrow so i can actually lay in bed to play fully. i just managed to finish Ding Dong Dell and headed the next area. made it through to the first save point.

Andrew.

Banned
the monkey has really bad def though. i've been using mitey.

Havent gotten the monkey yet but "Derp" (my Mitey) is kicking ass and taking names. I've only given him a piece of chocolate and a couple cakes that I found after battles but nothing extreme. It really helps to read the Companion and get to know what each genus prefers treat-wise. Right now Im basically just stockpiling everything.

What does the Fullness Meter affect? I noticed when I fed him, a couple of the orage dots filled up, but then over time, they decreased again. What is the point of it?

I could have sworn I read somewhere or saw a video that mentioned a way to get everyone in a battle to defend by default. I know I'm not imagining it.

Sorian

Banned
Havent gotten the monkey yet but "Derp" (my Mitey) is kicking ass and taking names. I've only given him a piece of chocolate and a couple cakes that I found after battles but nothing extreme. It really helps to read the Companion and get to know what each genus prefers treat-wise. Right now Im basically just stockpiling everything.

What does the Fullness Meter affect? I noticed when I fed him, a couple of the orage dots filled up, but then over time, they decreased again. What is the point of it?

Can't feed them anymore when it is full. Battling is considered "exercise" for them and reduces the meter.

Majmun

I still haven't fed any of my familiar with anything. Except when doing metamorphosis.

I haven't fed them because I'm afraid I'm going to waste food on a familiar that I'm going to drop later anyway. I've been using Mitey for probably 95% of the battles, and I haven't had any real trouble so far. Gogo is backing me up for healing.

It's really hard to pick the next main familiars. I'm afraid I'm going to stick with Mitey until the end. I hope his final form is strong enough to keep until the end...

BluWacky

wow, this is weird. ni no kuni is clearly not a very good rpg -- much less a game -- and yet i'm still kind of enjoying it.

Do you think it's the nostalgia it invokes? For some reason I thought you weren't big on looking at games nostalgically, but it does seem as though a lot of the games' flaws are "covered" by the immaculate presentation and the old-fashioned style.

lunchtoast

Has anyone been able to counter attack with evade? Dippy mentioned it briefly once and I glazed over it but the stone book doesn't have it.

Leunam

the monkey has really bad def though. i've been using mitey. kinda don't want to feed them until later lol.

Saw his stats and noticed his evade is pretty high. Beefed that up and equipped him with the leafy cape thing and the claw weapon and he's my go to for one on one. Mitey I use for multiple enemies so I can use Cut Loose right away and mop them up quickly.

Probably doesn't make much difference for short fights but meh.

I find that if I take my time and run around to avoid attacks, utilize counter-attacks, and defend at the correct time, the combat system works well. The problem is on some of the trivial mobs where I don't want to spend the time...

thanks for this (& other) replies. guess i'll be passing on this for now. enjoy, all :) ...

I like the combat system overall, but a "quick cancel+defend" button would have made it even better.

True, but once you start doing O->L2->X (or L2->X for just defend) it starts becoming second nature and you can pull it off very quickly without looking at the menu. No doubt it's a twitch move like you'd find in a DMC or something, but it makes it pretty fun to pull off. Unfortunately it goes out the window if "attack" isn't what you currently have selected. It's several L2 or R2 pulls away to get to block\evade. I still need to look at the screen for that.

This, and fighting with the correct familiars based on their signs made a huge difference in battles early on. I'm probably only 7 or 8 hours in though. I haven't really been challenged yet.

Mudo

I'm just popping in to say that, 13 hours in, this is probably going to by my GOTY. I know it's only January but my jaw has pretty much been on the floor the entire time I've been playing.

I have never seen a game where the characters literally look like they are from an anime. Is that cel shading? Never seen whatever the look is before. And the animations! I'm still giddy every time I shuffle down some stairs and my cape stops flapping in the breeze. Or when balancing on wooden poles over water. Or going across a log in a forest.

The music is bliss also. I had not listened to anything except the overworld theme before the game, and HOLY @!#$!@# every place you visit has something new and catchy and the full symphony really gives the game a more "magical" feeling..or something. Not sure how to describe that.

The battles are really fun and not a complete pushover (on Normal difficulty). I think I have been a bit overlevelled though, so that may be why it hasn't been too bad so far.

Wizard's companion is just beautiful and I've paged through it reading the stories and info and just looking at the pretty pictures. What a cool idea for the game to incorporate. There's always something new being added for me go check out.

Merit stamps / side quests from the errand board are cool little things that give neat, sometimes strange perks to look forward to.

Overall, wonderful. I feel like a little kid again, playing Link to the Past or Final Fantasy VII for the first time. It's not something seen often in today's game market and I am cherishing every single second of it. Onward!

Sorian

Banned
I still haven't fed any of my familiar with anything. Except when doing metamorphosis.

I haven't fed them because I'm afraid I'm going to waste food on a familiar that I'm going to drop later anyway. I've been using Mitey for probably 95% of the battles, and I haven't had any real trouble so far. Gogo is backing me up for healing.

It's really hard to pick the next main familiars. I'm afraid I'm going to stick with Mitey until the end. I hope his final form is strong enough to keep until the end...

Someone earlier in here said that the official guide mentioned that Mitey would be your main comp throughout most if not all of the game. Also, treats can be bought from the store so its not like they are rare or hard to come by.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
wow, this is weird. ni no kuni is clearly not a very good rpg -- much less a game -- and yet i'm still kind of enjoying it.
Level 5 nostalgia distortion field in effect, with the power to melt even Drinky's black heart.

Aeana

There's really no concern about wasting food. The early stuff is commonplace and also not powerful enough to cut it for very long, either. Much later in the game, the good food becomes rarer, but it's nothing to worry about for a ways in.

Z3M0G

Yep. The key for me was using L2 and R2 as someone suggested earlier in the thread (instead of the D-pad).

Huh? What? Whoa... Need to confirm this!!

Also, shortly after you get a full party of 3, you get the ability to hit SQUARE to make your entire party defend, and TRIANGLE to make your entire party All-Out attack, right??

RPGCrazied

Drop rates are horrible for some things. I was going after an emberstone from a sunshine, I had to fight over 50 of them for 1 to drop.

Can you tame anything? I want a bonehead, but haven't had the chance to get one. Unless some aren't tameable?

beanman25

Starting the game after hockey central ends in an hour, had one question.

Can I catch multiple of the same familiar if I don't raise it properly?

Sorian

Banned
Since I am a lazy asshole and want to put the effort into getting Griffy.

Anyone want the code?

Damn I missed it but hey, if anyone else doesn't want theres I would be really appreciative :D

Starting the game after hockey central ends in an hour, had one question.

Can I catch multiple of the same familiar if I don't raise it properly?

I have not personally done this yet but I believe the answer is yes. Someone can correct if I am wrong.

Also edit: This isn't something you'll worry about until a good number of hours into the game

Aeana

Drop rates are horrible for some things. I was going after an emberstone from a sunshine, I had to fight over 50 of them for 1 to drop.

Can you tame anything? I want a bonehead, but haven't had the chance to get one. Unless some aren't tameable?
Boneheads are tameable, and they're pretty good too.

Majmun

Someone earlier in here said that the official guide mentioned that Mitey would be your main comp throughout most if not all of the game. Also, treats can be bought from the store so its not like they are rare or hard to come by.

There's really no concern about wasting food. The early stuff is commonplace and also not powerful enough to cut it for very long, either. Much later in the game, the good food becomes rarer, but it's nothing to worry about for a ways in.

Ahh ok. I will feed my poor main familiars tonight. :p

I'm one of the guys who ends up with 99 shotgun shells or 99 elixirs at the end of a game game. I have to use items and stop being so greedy, I guess.

The Lamp

This game is just so....pleasant. Like a lovingly made pastry with a light, flaky crust.

I'm only about an hour in but everything that tends to push me away from JRPGs is missing. The opening wasn't needlessly long, the cutscenes are all charming and well integrated into the gameplay. And the clean UI, the fact that I can save within the first 10 minutes, the options for guidance/hints, the adjustable difficulty, etc. are all things that ALL RPGs should have but don't, but Ni No Kuni does.

There's a lot of love in this package. It radiates polish. Nothing feels out of place or not carefully considered.

Wait, so the game actually has the feature I wanted, it just doesn't allow me to use it yet? That would be good news.
Seems that way, yeah.

I'm one of the guys who ends up with 99 shotgun shells or 99 elixirs at the end of a game game. I have to use items and stop being so greedy, I guess.
Are you a hoarder by any chance? haha

Beren

So everything is pretty much tameable, but it's all randomized as to when you find one that can be subdued?
Zeopower6 posted a tiny preview of the game guide (from Amazon) and it has a lot of nice familiar's info (food, love rate, evolutions, etc) :)
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/video-games/AmazonPreOrder1_NiNoKuni2.pdf
They have a % chance to love ya , some have a higher chance and some a lower one :)
2 days later i am at 62% of the download i see the light at the faaar end of the tunnel :O

Sorian

Banned

Your familiars are going to die all because you were hoarding their food *cry*
*tears of evil joy* muahahaha

Gotta give Mitey those chocolate bars, Miteys love chocolate bars.

Top Bottom