• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nielsen report: The Mainstream appeal of Black Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...s-the-mainstream-appeal-of-black-content.html

From music to movies, fashion and art, Black Americans have long played an important role in shaping popular culture in the U.S., and that influence remains strong. In fact, 73% of non-Hispanic whites and 67% of Hispanics believe that African-Americans influence mainstream culture. And this effect is clearly visible in the current TV season. According to a recent Nielsen analysis of TV viewership, several programs with a predominantly black cast or a main storyline focusing on a black character are drawing substantial non-black viewership.

Insecure” is the HBO original comedy series co-created by Golden Globe-nominated Issa Rae. Inspired by Rae’s popular web series “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl,” viewership is 61% non-black.

Half of viewership for the newcomer “Atlanta” is non-black. The show, a Golden-Globe winning comedy-drama on FX created by and starring Donald Glover, centers on two black cousins navigating the Atlanta rap scene.
These shows are black as fuck

It’s also noteworthy how a predominantly black audience—63% for Empire—can propel a show to Emmy-nominated, award-winning mainstream success. Henson took home a best actress Golden Globe last year for her portrayal of Cookie, and Cover Girl recently announced a makeup collection inspired by the hit show. These accolades offer further evidence of a cultural recalibration in which black voices increasingly are heard. That coincides with rising affluence and education levels, illuminated in the recently released report, “Young, Connected and Black: African-American Millennials Are Driving Social Change and Leading Digital Advancement.”

Basically "Can't relate" is bull shit. If your shit is good, people will come

#TeamLawrence

Dynomutt

tumblr_m2zuy7JiCR1qfnkq8o1_500.gif

tumblr_mcb54tVjGf1qm76s1o12_r1_250.gif

What qualifies as a black show? Written and produced by black writers and producers? Half or more of the primary cast black? Just the main character?

For example, is The Flash a black show because of the Wests?

Nielsen doesn't want to load for me at work, so apologies if they defined it in the article.

Slayven

What qualifies as a black show? Written and produced by black writers and producers? Half or more of the primary cast black? Just the main character?

For example, is The Flash a black show because of the Wests?

Nielsen doesn't want to load for me at work, so apologies if they defined it in the article.

According to a recent Nielsen analysis of TV viewership, several programs with a predominantly black cast or a main storyline focusing on a black character are drawing substantial non-black viewership.

Flash did break the rule of 3, but they did it too late to matter

Slayven

Rule of 3? I assume that means 3 black characters credited as main characters and not just recurring?
The Dwayne McDuffie Rule of 3, if there are more than 2 black characters no matter the context, it is automatically becomes a black show, book, movie, etc

Laieon

Not really sure what qualifies as a "black show", but Atlanta is good.

Isn't Spike Lee's she's gotta have it dropping soon on Netflix too? And no love for queen sugar? My mom loves that show.

Is Spike Lee supposed to be good? The only movie of his I've seen off the top of my head is Oldboy, and compared to the original it was abysmal.

Is Spike Lee supposed to be good? The only movie of his I've seen off the top of my head is Oldboy, and compared to the original it was abysmal.

You ask that, but then you mention Oldboy out of all of his movies... 🤔

TDLink

The Dwayne McDuffie Rule of 3, if there are more than 2 black characters no matter the context, it is automatically becomes a black show, book, movie, etc

It's not his rule. He's saying that's how Hollywood in general (at least at the time) viewed it. Which is why before 10 or so years ago it'd be extremely rare to see two Black people in significant roles in a film, and essentially unheard of for 3 or more. Even now it's barely better with major Hollywood films and television.

CW has been better about it than most, which is great. But I wouldn't call The Flash a "Black Show" just because it has a bunch of black main and recurring characters. Those are just characters that happen to be Black, but could just as easily be any race. And it's great that the show is doing that with black actors.

A "Black" show is not just about a bunch of the cast being black, it is more about Black culture and typically from Black writers/producers as well. Empire, Atlanta, Luke Cage all qualify as "Black Shows" under this criteria for a few examples.

This is a troll post. Literally, everything about this post is deigned to provoke anger.

Slayven

It's not his rule. He's saying that's how Hollywood in general (at least at the time) viewed it. Which is why before 10 or so years ago it'd be extremely rare to see two Black people in significant roles in a film, and essentially unheard of for 3 or more. Even now it's barely better with major Hollywood films and television.

CW has been better about it than most, which is great. But I wouldn't call The Flash a "Black Show" just because it has a bunch of black main and recurring characters. Those are just characters that happen to be Black, but could just as easily be any race. And it's great that the show is doing that with black actors.

A "Black" show is not just about a bunch of the cast being black, it is more about Black culture and typically from Black writers/producers as well. Empire, Atlanta, Luke Cage all qualify as "Black Shows" under this criteria for a few examples.

I always found that to be a missed opportunity of the flash. Flashbacks of Joe raising him.

The first time Barry went to the cookout, Joe teaching him how to play spades, etc

I dunno. I think there's still some 'can't relate' that is adequately explained by being unable to relate, and that's not limited to racial concerns.

It's not nearly enough to make a dent in the sales of a product, though. I mean, take GTA: San Andreas for instance. This exact argument was made for it (anecdotally) plenty. How'd it do, again?

GTA isn't exactly my jam, but CJ isn't the reason.

A good beat, good acting, a good game, is all that really matters in the long-run, no matter what people say. If they're really adamant about not bothering, they've got some insecurities and social-personal problems to deal with.

tbm24

Insecure is fantastic, me and my wife binged it and can't wait for more. Encouraging to see many others liking it as well.

I remember Todd McFarlane saying he had to change Terry Fitzgerald to be White for the Spawn film because the studio was afraid the film would be viewed as a "Black movie" by audiences.

kswiston

I dunno. I think there's still some 'can't relate' that is adequately explained by being unable to relate, and that's not limited to racial concerns.

I think that it's mostly racial. People don't complain about not being able to relate to aliens in sci fi shows or white people in shows like Rome or Game of Thrones where the culture is radically different from that of "White America". Ditto to things like the Sopranos/The Godfather if you are not Italian American and Catholic (and involved in organized crime).

It's not nearly enough to make a dent in the sales of a product, though. I mean, take GTA: San Andreas for instance. This exact argument was made for it (anecdotally) plenty. How'd it do, again?

GTA isn't exactly my jam, but CJ isn't the reason.

A good beat, good acting, a good game, is all that really matters in the long-run, no matter what people say. If they're really adamant about not bothering, they've got some insecurities and social-personal problems to deal with.
Then why have non-White audiences failed to have any trouble "relating" to the overwhelmingly White tv shows that dominated the airways for 5 decades?

Anyway, I wanna see a demographic breakdown on Luke Cage's viewing numbers.

I think that it's mostly racial. People don't complain about not being able to relate to aliens in sci fi shows or white people in shows like Rome or Game of Thrones where the culture is radically different from that of "White America". Ditto to things like the Sopranos/The Godfather if you are not Italian American and Catholic (and involved in organized crime).

Yup. I mean, who can't relate to a chemistry teacher turned meth dealer?

LionPride

Banned

I hate to say it, but uh...That's bait

Anyways, who is surprised non-black people watch our shit?

Oh, but "It's too black, no one would watch it"
Lol

Numb

I hate to say it, but uh...That's bait

Lol

Wasn't expecting Atlanta to be half
Show is unfocused and subject matter too

kswiston

Everybody watched the Cosby show.

My perception of what was popular in other white households in the 80s/90s is going to be skewed a bit from growing up with mostly broadcast television from Detroit, but I'm pretty sure that Family Matters and the Jeffersons were big with everyone. The Fresh Prince was obviously huge. I'm not as sure about Hanging with Mr Cooper, the Steve Harvey Show, or Sister Sister, but they were widely watched in my school.

Then why have non-White audiences failed to have any trouble "relating" to the overwhelmingly White tv shows that dominated the airways for 5 decades?

Anyway, I wanna see a demographic breakdown on Luke Cage's viewing numbers.
Cause White is the the default:) we should be thankful, that such a fine option even exists:)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Flash definitely isn't a "Black show." They could add 6 more Black folks and it still wouldn't be. It's great that they've been so great about having a diverse cast, but that's just not what it is. Like TDLink said, it's more about shows that have those extra touches of Black culture. In Luke Cage, when Mariah called Cottonmouth out for being "colorstruck," I knew a Black person was in the writer's room.

I'm glad there are some hard numbers to back up what I've noticed anecdotally. I've been surprised by the people I know who watch Atlanta. I'm talking folks that changed the J Cole playlist at the party to Mumford and Sons.

Slayven

My perception of what was popular in other white households in the 80s/90s is going to be skewed a bit from growing up with mostly broadcast television from Detroit, but I'm pretty sure that Family Matters and the Jeffersons were big with everyone. The Fresh Prince was obviously huge. I'm not as sure about Hanging with Mr Cooper, the Steve Harvey Show, or Sister Sister, but they were widely watched in my school.

I watched all those shows, and I always forget Hangin with Mr.Cooper was a thing.. But then again it was on the tail end of TGIF's popularity

Chuckie

Lol

I'm not surprised, I watch your shit.

However it does make me wonder why Hollywood is always white washing their movies. Usually with the shit excuse that it would be less bankable with non-white actors.

Slayven

I'm not surprised, I watch your shit.

However it does make me wonder why Hollywood is always white washing their movies. Usually with the shit excuse that it would be less bankable with non-white actors.

Black Panther is going to be real interesting internationally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom