• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Ruff

Is the dynamic OST a thing in the other Nier games?I only ask because it's something that Platinum has been very good with in their other games like MGR where the instrumental only plays until the vocals hit during hype moment so I'm wondering who bought this to the table.

Philippo

Guys a friend of mine is trying to hook me up with a 2B cosplayer, can't believe i might be close to achieve this fanboy dream before even reaching Route C.

Hektor

Is the dynamic OST a thing in the other Nier games?I only ask because it's something that Platinum has been very good with in their other games like MGR where the instrumental only plays until the vocals hit during hype moment so I'm wondering who bought this to the table.

Yea, Nier also had this tho not as much. In the middle of the protags homevillage for example is a girl playing the lute, and the music dynamically changes the closer you get to her (Or the farther away respectively).

Drakengard 3 from the same composer also had things like the intoner mode.

The main characters godlike abilities were coming from the power of music, so whenever you entered intoner mode during gameplay the music suddenly started to play louder and have vocals as well.

Keiichi Okabe, composer of these soundtracks, is simply a god.

Guys a friend of mine is trying to hook me up with a 2B cosplayer, can't believe i might be close to achieve this fanboy dream before even reaching Route C.

What the bloody fuck are you doing wasting your time GAF then?????

aravuus

Aside from the bit of repetitive content, route B has been pretty damn awesome with the new mechanics and all the cool stuff relating to them. Unfortunately I've gotta stop for today, but man, I can't wait to finish this and move on to route C tomorrow!

I think it's safe to say the OST of the game is amazing overall, but the
amusement park
theme is just something else, a piece of art

It's marvelous. Probably my favorite so far.

Taruranto

I don't know why, but the
ability to shot down the birds
in the intro made me laugh lol.

So far the game seems like a more refined version of Nier 1 with better controls, even the plot;
the machines in the desert gave me shades vibes. The boss doesn't even attack you at first.

I'm curious on how the game connects with the original Nier, cause
all the humans in Nier 1 area (Japan) should have gone extinct.

Cramoss

Just finished Route A with some sidequests pending. On route B, is it just a set of new ones or I can do them there too? If so, hopefully the ones I did already don't appear again.

OniBaka

I don't know why, but the
ability to shot down the birds
in the intro made me laugh lol.
Haha what the hell, you monster. I would never had thought to do the same thing.

Just finished Route A with some sidequests pending. On route B, is it just a set of new ones or I can do them there too? If so, hopefully the ones I did already don't appear again.

The ones you did don't appear again and the ones you didn't finish you have to start from scratch. Also get some exclusive side quest to that route.

JJShadow

You get new ones and you can also finish those you left in route A (if it's a multiple-step quest you have to restart it over again though). Those you finished carry over to the next route

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
its weird to imagine Route B as being any different since so far, 5-6 hours in,
9S has been at my side the whole time, so except for the adma and eve fight where I guess you fight the other one, I dont see much room for changes.
Im sure im horribly wrong of course.

its weird to imagine Route B as being any different since so far, 5-6 hours in,
9S has been at my side the whole time, so except for the adma and eve fight where I guess you fight the other one, I dont see much room for changes.
Im sure im horribly wrong of course.

It changes a whole lot afterwards.

It changes a whole lot afterwards.
as I'm on route B and last night I just finished
the Adam and Eve fight, I was basically expecting things to start really changing up. The prologue was completely different from 9S point of view, but everything else has been basically the same aside from some randomly spliced in bonus scenes. Granted those scenes were pretty awesome, like giving new meaning behind the beautiful robot's insanity

Regarding spoilered question above,
Inventor
was almost worth it to me for the
alien mask
alone. Left that on
9S
the whole way through my first B run. YMMV heh

But more seriously, many sidequests including
Wandering Couple
have fancy pod programs as rewards, never mind interesting stories.

aravuus

Speaking of the OST

This is by far my favorite so far. No only is the song amazing but the whole section from beginning to end was stunning.

Hell yeah, this is great too. Even better when listening to it now, in fact, cause I can fully concentrate on the song.

I'm gonna love listening to the soundtrack after I'm finished with the game. I didn't think it was possible, but this might have topped the original Nier's OST.

Hektor

I just received the Nier: Automata world guide

C7Yy4AuXUAAigrJ.jpg

Honestly, i am disappointed.

While i'm not able to read it or anything, it doesn't seem to be much more than a typical strategy guide with two novellas and some concept art thrown in.

Which is weird cos there's an actual, more elaborate strategy guide out there as well, while this one doesn't even cover all sidequests.

This is certainly not the kind of in-depth book like Grimoire Nier or Drakengard 3's equivalent with lore explanations and developer interviews.

The good side of it on the other hand, we english speaking folks won't miss out ona lot if it never gets fully translated.

Slater

Banned
I think I came around to this tonight myself, yeah.

I know people have an almost Pavlovian instinct to respond to this with "but the combat! The combat!!" and no, it's no Bayo. Probably not Reveangence either. But I think there's more depth to it than people are commonly acknowledging and really, it's just so much more than its combat anyway.

PG now has not only another fantastically composed game on their belt, but one with easily the best-written, most meaningful story in years.

PlatinumGames. The MadWorld guys. The Bayonetta dudes. Best story in years.

No one saw this coming at all.

Maybe not you normie newbies, Taro fans fully expected a good story.

All these new people going 'nobody expected a story like this!!!!" Is kinda annoying not gonna lie, Nier became a cult classic for a reason, Taro has a fanbase for a reason

Auraela

Banned
really baffled on weapons, just brought the ancient overlord from vendor and using that with starting weapon but no idea if its good

Eklesp

really baffled on weapons, just brought the ancient overlord from vendor and using that with starting weapon but no idea if its good

Started route C today and I am still using the beginning sword leveled to 3 and the first heavy I found. Have not messed with any of the other weapons

Speaking of C
wow the difficulty ramps up. Love it.

partime

I'm on Route B now, and something tells me I shouldn't speed run through this game. Enemies are already a lot harder, and running past most will hurt me towards the end, I can feel it.

This is so good

I'm deep into chapter C (no idea how much is left) and I'm just having fun killing things

A2 is amazing and I don't want to pick 9S. Even worse because I have no interest in a dumb misunderstood revenge tale. I'll get there and I'm sure it pays off, but yea. Just reached the point where A2 is doing favors for Pascal's village. Funniest revelation of the game so far is allowing Pascal to live, then immediately getting a quest to get favors from Pascal. "We aren't so far gone that we kill machines after they surrender" I really hope it plays out the same way if you kill him

What a wonderfully bizarre game

Hektor

Maybe a more complete one will come out at s later date?

Also, i was played like a damn fiddle about the 2B cosplayer >:|

Noooo, dangit. That's not very nice of your friend :(

I've been reading that there is a 4-disc set for Automata? I would like to buy the OST ASAP.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01LTI9I72/

Eventually, you'll have to buy amazon payment cards tho

I thought it were 3 discs? That is what is listed on Amazon JP's website.

The 3 Disc set if ordered early comes with a 4th bonus disc.

That point of no return bit in Route A is not very obvious. I was trying to finish
Emili's quest
and activated it on the way there. Guess I'll have to wait to see how that and a few others pan out after I finish all the routes. Unless I have a save from early enough, then maybe I'll jump back in to see how that one ends at least.

I'm on Route B now, and something tells me I shouldn't speed run through this game. Enemies are already a lot harder, and running past most will hurt me towards the end, I can feel it.
Ehh....I'd say just use some EXP boost chips and you'll be fine

I've been enjoying the difficulty bump for the most part, majority of the game has been untouchable murdering anyways. I've def ran into a couple of walls but that just means I've had to get good and choose chips accordingly

Top Bottom