• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Yu Narukami

I may buy the original Nier after this because I never played it but I read and watched everything about it before playing the sequel. Would I still enjoy it?

Hektor

I may buy the original Nier after this because I never played it but I read and watched everything about it before playing the sequel. Would I still enjoy it?

You don't probably still enjoy the characters, their banter and the music.man and make the gameplay.

The games story won't have as much of an impact anymore tho

IKizzLE

Soooo beating the game is not actually beating the game? When I play it over, is it like an alternate timeline? Clearly I never played the first nier nor anything remotely like this. Do I just load my save again and the game takes it from there. How many times will I need to actually beat the game to understand what's going on?

Small detail from Route B I'm wondering about:

Mothership cutscene when Adam and Eve leave as the fight ends, I could have sworn there was someone, a girl I think, in the background to the left. Am I imagining things?? D:

lol, had the same thing.

Reminded me of Fight Club, curious what it will mean

Shengar

Completed the game for the first time and...meh. 6 or 7/10. So many questions, no answers. Like....i have no clue what the fuck the deal is with machines or command. Definitely not my favorite platinum work. Judging from responses here I have to beat the game more times?!? Ehhh, I might a couple days down the line.
Just like any Platinum game, first playthrough is the prologue.

OniBaka

Completed the game for the first time and...meh. 6 or 7/10. So many questions, no answers. Like....i have no clue what the fuck the deal is with machines or command. Definitely not my favorite platinum work. Judging from responses here I have to beat the game more times?!? Ehhh, I might a couple days down the line.

It's like nobody reads the Square Enix PR stating you are not done.

Subsequent playthroughs are very different. It's not like you have to do the same thing all over again.

The answers will come.

Ruff

When people say beat the game over and over, it's not as if you're literally doing the same thing over and over for different endings. Credits are always a red herring in Yoko games. Just think of them as Act of a story.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Soooo beating the game is not actually beating the game? When I play it over, is it like an alternate timeline? Clearly I never played the first nier nor anything remotely like this. Do I just load my save again and the game takes it from there. How many times will I need to actually beat the game to understand what's going on?

If you hit continue on the menu it'll do it for you.

To be vague
the next route is an alternate perspective that sheds more light on things and the one after that is where the real meat of the story is.

Moonkid

Think of it like act one finished. All you need to do is keep playing on the same save file and the game will continue c:

Now that I think of it, calling it 'Route B' and 'C' is kinda silly given they're complementary and supplementary paths, not alternative ones. I'm going to stop doing that from now on :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
quick question so I can move on, these +storage plug in chips

1 - do they stack and

2 - do you have to equip them? I cant find the one I bought

IKizzLE

When people say beat the game over and over, it's not as if you're literally doing the same thing over and over for different endings. Credits are always a red herring in Yoko games. Just think of them as Act of a story.
Ahhh makes sense. When I saw squares message I was like....uhhh, why would I play the whole thing over again unless new sidequests became available or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yes

no, they equip automatically

ty sir, just bought all of it, and noticed it unlocked the plug in capacity fully, I thought that was level based before lol. Neat.

I sold all my machine cores for it, hopefully thats ok, the item description seemed to indicate it was only to sell /shrug

Tecnniqe

Banned
Thank you for your recent transaction on Steam.
The items below have been added to your Steam Library.

NieR:Automata:tm: Day One Edition

IM COOOMINNNNNG

CivRab

So just finished Route A,
what is the additional voices slider about? I assume its something like the Shades voices from Nier: Gestalt? but all the robots talk anyhow shall I just turn it up?
Fantastic game so far

OniBaka

So just finished Route A,
what is the additional voices slider about? I assume its something like the Shades voices from Nier: Gestalt? but all the robots talk anyhow shall I just turn it up?
Fantastic game so far
Maybe when you beat the whole game first

Exentryk

Thank you for your recent transaction on Steam.
The items below have been added to your Steam Library.

NieR:Automata:tm: Day One Edition

IM COOOMINNNNNG

rqUJ7Xs.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I want to start Route C and see what's up with... well, everything I just found out in B. Damn you, life.

Also
the Forest King was the most sad story in B

JJShadow

I just completed the Flooded City area and retrieved
9S's body
. However, I noticed a few of my side-quests, such as the one with the couple who I need to 50k as well as the Yorha Betrayer's ones, have been removed from my mini-map. I read that nothing in this game is missable, aside from one of the endings that you need to let a certain boss
self-destruct
to see, but aside form that I thought I was able to do all of the quests at my leisure. Will they return to my mini-map, and if so, when can I expect that? Sorry, as little spoilers as you can, I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to them (especially, for this one).

Also, do the choices in the dialogue affect anything? The reason I ask is because one of early side-quests, the one where you needed to find a missing Yorha at the Abandoned Factory who you later found out
was defecting and leaving the force
, and I chose to hold back the information since I felt the one looking for her suffered enough and shouldn't have had to deal with the additional truth. Now she just kind of stands there saying she doesn't need to defend herself anymore and I feel kind of bad about it. :/

Regarding your first question, you basically just
reached the point of no return for that route.
If you take a look in the All quests submenu, the ones you have not finished are marked with a cross. But don't worry because you can start them over again in route B.

And nothing is missable in the game, after a certain point you will be able to do any sidequest you want

ty sir, just bought all of it, and noticed it unlocked the plug in capacity fully, I thought that was level based before lol. Neat.

I sold all my machine cores for it, hopefully thats ok, the item description seemed to indicate it was only to sell /shrug

Yeah, you can safely sell all your machine cores, no need to keep them

Also, do the choices in the dialogue affect anything? The reason I ask is because one of early side-quests, the one where you needed to find a missing Yorha at the Abandoned Factory who you later found out
was defecting and leaving the force
, and I chose to hold back the information since I felt the one looking for her suffered enough and shouldn't have had to deal with the additional truth. Now she just kind of stands there saying she doesn't need to defend herself anymore and I feel kind of bad about it. :/

i always seem to make the wrong decision T_T

Alva

Small detail from Route B I'm wondering about:

Mothership cutscene when Adam and Eve leave as the fight ends, I could have sworn there was someone, a girl I think, in the background to the left. Am I imagining things?? D:

I just reached that part.
I saw the same thing, only for an instant but it looked like a girl in a pink/red ruffle dress. A bit like Nui in Kill la Kill. Now I'm curious if it was here in route A.

Rhaknar

so... many...sidequests...

red...squares...everywhere...

send help ;_;

Arklite

Locating the spear in that damned maze of a
darkened factory
was a pain but man what a sight. I still have to find the sword.

Rhaknar

whats up with the
photograph
sidequest in the
desert
? I cant get to the location because of
sandstorms

Sh1ner

Is it better to fuze chips or just to purchase ones from the special shop that stocks different things everytime you visit?
I have fuzed to lvl 4 and now its too expensive to really keep fusing. I seen that shop have lvl6 chips for 50k.

Also game is excellent, I knew nothing about it and loving it. Its such a depart from western style its refreshing.

Moaradin

Is it better to fuze chips or just to purchase ones from the special shop that stocks different things everytime you visit?
I have fuzed to lvl 4 and now its too expensive to really keep fusing. I seen that shop have lvl6 chips for 50k.

Also game is excellent, I knew nothing about it and loving it. Its such a depart from western style it makes it refreshing.

fusing can get you the same chips that cost less slots.

Ruff

whats up with the
photograph
sidequest in the
desert
? I cant get to the location because of
sandstorms

Yeah it's a little odd. It's basically an invisibly walled path along the bottom of the dunes that lead to it. If you keep following it you should find the opening gap.

Exentryk

Also game is excellent, I knew nothing about it and loving it. Its such a depart from western style it makes it refreshing.

Shop chips have a high cost. Fusion can get you the same or better chips with lower cost, which means you can equip more different types of chips as you have more space.

Top Bottom