• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

desmax

Just finished ending E

I was not expecting that final boss. Goddamn, few games made me feel so good during a final battle.

I died after the long introduction to route C and basically have to do this annoying part again because I didn't save.

Nopenopenopenopenope

This is it. I'm shelving the game. I tried to fall in love with it but it feels like a giant waste of time.

Seyavesh

i would say route a is the weakest part of the game by quite a bit

it really just needs a lot more character moments- there's not enough bantering to flesh out the chars to make you really like 'em. it's kind of a huge shame because it's the first and possibly only route folks will play through. i think it's actually a really weak first impression and that shit makes up like 10+ hours of gameplay!

major spoilers:
while it is on purpose that you never really learn anything about 2b and a large part of the second half of the game is re-contextualizing 2b's flat performance in an incredibly well done tragic light, it's still lacking because there's just so few notable interactions that you never grow attached to her or 9s. i actually think it hurts the overall story a significant amount because a lot of that weight is built upon the idea of you connecting with the chars. because of that lack of interactions they end up feeling really distant in a bad way which i think ultimately makes the story weaker than n1's, even if the overall presentation of the themes is significantly better.

i still went from thinking 2b was boring as shit to really liking her and on my 2nd go-through, the interactions that she has are really nice, but there's simply not enough of them

renzolama

So, let me preface this by pointing out that I bought and love both of the games that I'm about to single out, but why the hell can't I disable subtitles in Nier Automata or Breath of the Wild? I'm 100% sure that I can't disable them in BotW after an hour of consulting dehGoogle last week, and it's even more obnoxious there because the only dialog option is English for NA, but I was hugely disappointed when I finished my first playthrough of N-Automata tonight and went to change the spoken audio to English (cause why not, it's supposed to be a new experience) upon starting my new game only to find out that apparently I can't disable the subs here either? I can understand this from Nintendo, because as much as I enjoy their first party titles they might as well just have options menus that display "fuck you lol" when you select them, but we expect more from Square Enix, right?

I'd love to be mistaken about this, though I've read/attempted multiple (probably joke) solutions such as removing the log system chip. If I am mistaken then please tell me so, but if I'm not then why is this very basic game option missing in the two biggest Japanese AAA releases of Q1 2017? I don't want to see a constant spoiler for whatever the characters are about to say when they're speaking a language that I understand, it completely invalidates the production values of every cutscene in the game for me.

Am I in the minority by being really bothered by this? Enabling and disabling subtitles feels like a very basic option that should be included in every game released in 2017. This feels like a big step backwards in language options for multi-region video games. But maybe most people are now leaving the subs on by default? I feel like I might be the out-of-touch cranky grandpa here.

it really just needs a lot more character moments- there's not enough bantering to flesh out the chars to make you really like 'em. it's kind of a huge shame because it's the first and possibly only route folks will play through. i think it's actually a really weak first impression and that shit makes up like 10+ hours of gameplay!
]

I agree 100%

The thing is that Nier 1 had some great characters and interactions that made up for the horrid pacing. The first half was just a glorified fetch quest and the major events hit at the end of route a and primarily in route b. Nier 2 has the same problem except for the fact that it makes you replay the whole game in route b (which was also better done in 1) and that it totally lacks the character interaction that made the original so great.

Jintor

I'd love to be mistaken about this, though I've read/attempted multiple (probably joke) solutions such as removing the log system chip. If I am mistaken then please tell me so, but if I'm not then why is this very basic game option missing in the two biggest Japanese AAA releases of Q1 2017?

Did you actually try doing it?

I mean, if you remove the OS you kill 2B, so I'm pretty sure removing the system chips actually does remove bits of the UI...

renzolama

Did you actually try doing it?

I mean, if you remove the OS you kill 2B, so I'm pretty sure removing the system chips actually does remove bits of the UI...

Yes, I tried, but the text log chip is not related to subtitles. The responses I've seen to this complaint indicate that I'm likely just an outlier in wanting to disable the subs.

Ruff

just a fair warning to ya'll, Some might say this ventures into spoiler territory (I don't think so), but you absolutely need an internet connection to finish the game. I've seen far too many people hit an absolute brick wall and ruining their experience over this.

Baalzebup

how long are routes from c onwards going to take per route? 3-4 hours each?
Once you get to the end of C, the rest of the main story wrap-up is pretty damn fast. You get chapter select and the divergent point for the endings is quite late into the whole business.
Thanks again, I think I assumed I'd never be able to jump down there. One of the more memorable side-quests, too, glad I didn't miss it!
No problemos. I tested the consequences of jumping to places that would/could cause insta-death early on and once I established that the penalty is very lenient, I was hurling myself off to all kinds of abysses.

Jintor

oh boy. well i'm not finishing that tonight i guess.

maybe i'll try and just grind away at it until the splatoon testfire and go sleep

SNIP

I agree 100%

The thing is that Nier 1 had some great characters and interactions that made up for the horrid pacing. The first half was just a glorified fetch quest and the major events hit at the end of route a and primarily in route b. Nier 2 has the same problem except for the fact that it makes you replay the whole game in route b (which was also better done in 1) and that it totally lacks the character interaction that made the original so great.

So I loved the first game but am finding this one really boring, I'm about 4 hours in at some tree village, and considering giving up. Does the story/pace etc improve at all or is a better to just give up now before waisting time

Ferr986

I agree 100%

I'm enjoying the game (route B) but I have to agree with this so far. Alternate routes were better handled in Nier 1 (although I understand why they don't do it the same) and it helped a lot that the cast was more likeable, or atleast with better interactions, as you say.

Also, Nier 1 route A already had more or less all the story, they just fucked you up in Route B. This seems more Drakengardish where Route A is just half a story.

Mailbox

So I loved the first game but am finding this one really boring, I'm about 4 hours in at some tree village, and considering giving up. Does the story/pace etc improve at all or is a better to just give up now before waisting time

you're 4 hours into a 30+ hour jrpg.
You should know better.

(That is to say, Route A (as much as I personally like it) is definitely the weakest story wise. Keep playing)

Hektor

OST is out this week right?

What about artbooks, are there any to import yet?

The only artbooks that exist are the one in the CE and the World Guide, tho the latter is only partially an artbook and mostly a walkthrough guide, if you're buying it for the art alone you'll be disappointed.

Exentryk

Progressed the story past the Flooded City, and wow! That was awesome! The whole
boss reveal, the fight and it being so tenacious! The end was neat too with me now searching for 9S.

Really enjoyed it!

Moonkid

Got all main endings, spoilers on ending length:
Really glad C -> E takes not a lot of time.
I am pretty satisfied with the characters, despite the early sections of the game not doing much for me.

I can understand this from Nintendo, because as much as I enjoy their first party titles they might as well just have options menus that display "fuck you lol" when you select them, but we expect more from Square Enix, right?

Eh, they can be inconsistent with their own games too.
Final Fantasy games let you disable subtitles but for some reason Crisis Core on the PSP doesn't. Kingdom Hearts games also have subs on with no option to turn it off. I honestly don't really understand that as a design decision.

I find it distracting as I can't help but read along even though I don't need the subs.

you're 4 hours into a 30+ hour jrpg.
You should know better.

(That is to say, Route A (as much as I personally like it) is definitely the weakest story wise. Keep playing)

Eh, or I have played enough JRPGs to know that sometimes they just don't get too much better!! I suppose instead of just story I meant does it get better generally.

But yeah will keep going

MikeBison

For what it's worth I finished route A feeling like it was a good, if a little underwhelming game. And the start to route B was cool but thought "oh, it's going this way. Well I guess I'll keep playing"

But about half way through route B and into C onwards you get your tits blown off and think "Shit. I did not see this coming" and you're compelled to make it to the end of E.

Moaradin

The later half of the game retroactively makes the first half better and had me appreciate it even more, though I still really liked it from the beginning.

Exentryk

I've loving route A so far! It's more just being in this wonderfully crafted world and enjoying the simple pleasures.
BareAlienatedAttwatersprairiechicken.gif

Ferr986

I was thinking (route A ending and Nier 1 spoilers)
how similar are robots and Gestalts. I mean, Adam and Eve worked like Gestalt Nier, robots are linked to them and A&E emotions have an effect with the robots linked in the network, much like Nier despair made gestalts overly agresive.

What are you trying to tell me, Taro?

Honestly, I thought Route B was the worst, because it's mostly the same as A. The few additional scenes are spread too far throughout the campaign and I didn't think there was any big reveal that made the second playthrough really worth it.
There's the "Humanity has been extinct for centuries" reveal but it's not really all that surprising and the reveal and impact it had on the characters was handled very...uh...minimalistic.

I died after the long introduction to route C and basically have to do this annoying part again because I didn't save.

Nopenopenopenopenope

This is it. I'm shelving the game. I tried to fall in love with it but it feels like a giant waste of time.
The game is anything but a waste of time. In fact, it's made me feel like the games i put on hold (Zelda and HZD) were the waste of time. You owe it to yourself to finish it. Whether you end up liking it or not, it is an important game and worth discussion .
The intro to C is short, anyway. If you can't persevere, I don't know what to say. You're not going to get any sympathy from anyone who used to play NES games and die at the final boss.

Arkeband

Banned

Nopenopenopenopenope

First of all, it takes effort to die by the time you're in route C because you should have chips that heal you by 40% or more on any kill, auto heal, and life drain. You should also have slow-time after evades, and you can mash R2 for days and never get hit anyway. You're basically invincible.

And second of all, you can save at multiple points during the intro to C.

After route A it was a solid 7/10 for me. It would have made my goty list for sure but would have been somewhere behind Yakuza0, Nioh, HZD and BotW. Now, after completing B, C, D, and E, it's at the top of my goty list and probably my gotg too.
It's like Jaws, it's building up the world and characters before shit gets crazy.

NexusCell

Holy fucking shit. Finished route B last night and felt it was just alright. Then route C came in and I was so sucked in to it I finished C, D, and E in one sitting until 4 in the morning.

It's been years since a game like this sucked me into its world, characters, and themes.

Deleted my save to help others without a second thought

Jiraiza

Holy fucking shit. Finished route B last night and felt it was just alright. Then route C came in and I was so sucked in to it I finished C, D, and E in one sitting until 4 in the morning.

It's been years since a game like this sucked me into its world, characters, and themes.

Deleted my save to help others without a second thought

Pretty common theme here with everyone getting blown out of their minds as soon as they get to the start of C.

Just got this last night on PS4. Put about 5 hours in and am going to fight a boss
in the city after giving those friendly robots some oil.

Enjoying it a lot so far. Only thing I regret is PS4 over PC, holy frame rate!

Top Bottom