• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Going through the remainder of the endings now having done A the other day. I was going to wait until after Persona 5, but I've dropped Mass Effect so I'm doing it now. Going through B now and I had two thoughts in two specific bits in that route that happened earlier today.

The first:
killing the young baby machine and a few things leading up to the machine kingdom

A1ZueF.gif

And then:
the hacking interlude after blowing up the big machine and whilst held ransom by Adam, including the 'you want to **** 2B' bit

wnhIhk0UI3f1T1JcL-nJZl7A1Js=.gif

This game, though. Fuck me, this game. So brilliant.

Arkeband

Banned
I like the game, particularly for its music and combat , but overall Neir just feels kind of ho-hum so far. I just left the
robot village
about to confront a
Goliath-class boss in the City Ruins.
I don't like the whole plug-in stuff, it just confuses me, so I haven't bothered to buy and equip anything besides a few of the weapon upgrades. The side quests have been pretty boring so far. I feel like skipping out on most of it, and finding different endings too. Anyway, I've been playing on easy mode (kept auto-chips off) ever since the first boss who kicked my ass on normal mode a couple of times, and it didn't help having to start the game over from the beginning each time. Although, I may consider putting it back on normal mode since easy mode doesn't really offer any sense of challenge.

Why do plugins confuse you? Have you ever played an RPG before? It's like Paper Mario 64 badges.

KraytarJ

Finished ending E. Suddenly all the
helpers during the credits
make a lot more sense. I can't say that a game this weird, this obsessed with existence and existentialism would make me feel all warm inside.

On the whole the game was great, I came in low key expecting it to be dark horse for my game of the year and honestly it relived as well as I could have hoped. It's rare to not only get a game as good as this but then to be playing another one in Zelda with Persona right around the corner. This has got to be one of the best times for games that I can remember. But honestly who would've thought the top 2 games of the generation would come out within four days of each other?

Gbraga

FINALLY STARTED!!!

I was surprised by how quickly it approaches themes of humanity with the robots emulating human life and adopting human culture. The game isn't wasting any time with that, which I think is fantastic. It respects the player's inteligence and doesn't try to pretend that the inevitable discussion of any sci-fi thing ever is an incredible plot twist. Especially being a Nier game.

The second boss fight (first after the tutorial) also caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting things to get going that quickly, hahaha. Awesome boss fight, really pleased with it. I guess the fact that there's new content up to Route C is part of the reason why the game is not wasting any time. Another part of the reason is because of the setting. No point in pretending everything is fine and making us do some fetch quests to get familiar with the world when the whole reason we're in the world is to fight our enemy.

Something I must give a lot of credit to Platinum is the soundtrack, actually. Okabe always creates beautiful music, it's expected, but never before it was that well implemented into the game. The way it not only changes dynamically, but transitions into different songs as you progress to the next area is just beautiful. Holy shit. I have no idea if the individual songs will be able to hit me like the first game's OST, but as an actual soundtrack for a game, I feel like it'll easily surpass it.

And I definitely don't regret my decision of upgrading my PC before playing it for real, the game is BEAUTIFUL. I really can't share complaints here. Great lighting, art direction and animations make it great to look at. The desert blew my mind. Really nice level design there, by the way.

It's on its way to become my favorite game by Platinum, and that's no small task, I adore Bayonetta and Vanquish.

And, most importantly, it just feels like Nier. They nailed it. Please, Square-Enix, never stop that Yoko Taro X Platinum relationship.

Midway through ROUTE C spoilers: The
Devola and Popola text adventure section is rather heartbreaking. :(
I wanted more of these in this game (same with Anemone's memories), shame they're so short.

The cast and story of this game have really grown on me now.

Well I guess I reached the ending ending of actual ending, there's no going back now in any case, solid title but didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped.

9S' gets unfairly shit on as far as his character is concerned and specifically his voice acting is really, really good.

9S was way more interesting than 2B surely.
Couldn't shake his voice as off brand Yuri Lowenthal (not that it was at all bad), though I was relieved to find it wasn't said voice actor for a change.

Tried watching some streams or playthroughs and man...I normally enjoy watching people play games and seeing them get affected by stuff but holy shit so many people playing this game just skip text and ignore shit and are like "Well that was dumb, this is hard" and aren't paying attention and it's infuriating me.

addik

I lent my friend my copy and he's been PMing me every minute telling me how wtf this game is and how much he loves it.

He just currently
beat Adam and Eve and discovered the aliens are dead. He actually likes both characters.

But,
he killed the robots at the amusement park, that bastard.

Going through the remainder of the endings now having done A the other day. I was going to wait until after Persona 5, but I've dropped Mass Effect so I'm doing it now. Going through B now and I had two thoughts in two specific bits in that route that happened earlier today.

The first:
killing the young baby machine and a few things leading up to the machine kingdom

A1ZueF.gif

And then:
the hacking interlude after blowing up the big machine and whilst held ransom by Adam, including the 'you want to **** 2B' bit

wnhIhk0UI3f1T1JcL-nJZl7A1Js=.gif

This game, though. Fuck me, this game. So brilliant.
Yeah, that 2nd bit. Unfortunately I was too rushed when playing through it to fully appreciate what was being said. Could someone post the dialogue between
Adam
and
9S
during the
hacking sequence
? I feel like it's a 4th wall breaking sequence I missed out on. And I don't want to scan a wiki that's going to spoil more of the game than has already been spoiled for me.

I'm up to the beginning of route C if that helps.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, that 2nd bit. Unfortunately I was too rushed when playing through it to fully appreciate what was being said. Could someone post the dialogue between
Adam
and
9S
during the
hacking sequence
? I feel like it's a 4th wall breaking sequence I missed out on. And I don't want to scan a wiki that's going to spoil more of the game than has already been spoiled for me.

You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?

Or did you want the entire thing

I'm just here talking to an NPC and
Emil
almost runs my ass over.

First time I encountered that character I was doing
Father Servo's
quest up on the building, wondering what the fuck this loud music that kept changing volumes. Had to jump down and investigate. I laughed, hard

Adam
and
9S
during the
hacking sequence

Astral

First time I encountered that character I was doing
Father Servo's
quest up on the building, wondering what the fuck this loud music that kept changing volumes. Had to jump down and investigate. I laughed, hard

That's actually the first time I encountered him too and had the same reaction lol.

Chase17

Booked through the entirety of route B. Was a drag to go through, but hopefully the new content was worth it. The
preview
looked exciting.

Route B story thoughts:
While I liked the fleshing out of the machines when you visit areas on this route, it was much more effective in the original game. From the outset of route A you know it's probably bad that you are killing the machines, and that they have personalities, and I feel like it would have been fine to see this on the first go around. I really liked the opening going to get the oil for the brother though. Overall, the 9S exclusive sections weren't as much fun to play as, since it mostly boils down to a lot of hacking. The little epilogue during the credits was cool, but felt empty of anything too meaningful although I'm sure I missed something Looking forward to seeing how route C plays out.

To help me map out my time.
Is Route D, and E found by replaying route C twice, or are they different too?

D is just playing the fight over but picking the opposite, E happens afterward. I'm not sure if it givers you ending D if you then choose to go into ending E on the same run though

Chase17

D is just playing the fight over but picking the opposite, E happens afterward. I'm not sure if it givers you ending D if you then choose to go into ending E on the same run though

D and E can be achieved by replaying the last few minutes of the game from the chapter select (Unlocked after getting Ending C.) and making a different choice each time.
Excellent. Thanks!

Taruranto

Booked through the entirety of route B. Was a drag to go through, but hopefully the new content was worth it. The
preview
looked exciting.

Route B story thoughts:
While I liked the fleshing out of the machines when you visit areas on this route, it was much more effective in the original game. From the outset of route A you know it's probably bad that you are killing the machines, and that they have personalities, and I feel like it would have been fine to see this on the first go around. I really liked the opening going to get the oil for the brother though. Overall, the 9S exclusive sections weren't as much fun to play as, since it mostly boils down to a lot of hacking. The little epilogue during the credits was cool, but felt empty of anything too meaningful although I'm sure I missed something Looking forward to seeing how route C plays out.

(Route B)

Eh, the
machine's perspective really didn't work for me. I really had hard time feeling sorry for them when they attack you and you have Pascal's village of pacific machines two screens away. The shades were much more sympathetic and effective for me.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Lvl 17
Over 10 hours played
Just met A2
... when does this game get good? Like most of the side quests are kind of boring and I've liked most of the larger boss battles but it's not capturing the feel from the demo and I'm tired of running around the rather boring open world. How far am I from the main first ending?

Taruranto

Lvl 17
Over 10 hours played
Just met A2
... when does this game get good? Like most of the side quests are kind of boring and I've liked most of the larger boss battles but it's not capturing the feel from the demo and I'm tired of running around the rather boring open world. How far am I from the main first ending?

The main quest is rather short if you skip all side-quests, so not too far, most of the game time in route A is spent running around doing those, really.

(Route B)

Eh, the
machine's perspective really didn't work for me. I really had hard time feeling sorry for them when they attack you and you have Pascal's village of pacific machines two screens away. The shades were much more sympathetic and effective for me.

When did you learn the truth about the
shades?
I don't believe it was 10-20 hours into the first Nier.

Taruranto

When did you learn the truth about the
shades?
I don't believe it was 10-20 hours into the first Nier.

(Route B)

Yeah, but
the shades were already more sympathetic to me because human couldn't understand them and they were out of control, both sides were shouting at each other without any hope of understanding. On other hand you have places like the Forest Kingdom, these machines can talk and are disconnected from the network, but they still attack you the moment you walk into the forest.

I felt sorry for the machines that gave birth to Adam, now that I think about it, however.

pa22word

Does anyone know of good camera settings for a mouse? Game feels totally bonkers in a sort of Dark Souls 1 pre fan patch way when moving the camera around.

Beef

Lvl 17
Over 10 hours played
Just met A2

I honestly felt the same way, loved the combat and intense gameplay of the demo but was pretty bored by the rest of the game, especially the open world and side quests. Perhaps I went in expecting a different game, but the core game felt much different than the demo.

I personally put 20ish hours in and didn't have it in me to "finish" the game. To each their own, I understand why this game had such an intense following, but it didn't click with me either.

But man, that demo / tutorial level, just amazing. Had this ikaruga-ish meets hardcore action rpg feel. Would love to see a stage based game like that.

The most bullshit "Point of no return" moment for quests is in Route C.

Very minor spoiler, if at all:

So you're in Pascal's village and you're supposed to get something for him from the Resistance Camp. That's part of the main story.

But there are also two sidequest givers here that want you to bringt stuff to them.

So what do you do? You go out and collect everything before you bringt it all back to the village at once, and save Pascal's item for last.

Well, jokes on you, because the next main event triggers as soon as you get the item from the Resistance Camp, cancelling all active sidequests in the process. The other quest items you collected are now worthless.

The most bullshit "Point of no return" moment for quests is in Route C.

Very minor spoiler, if at all:

So you're in Pascal's village and you're supposed to get something for him from the Resistance Camp. That's part of the main story.

But there are also two sidequest givers here that want you to bringt stuff to them.

So what do you do? You go out and collect everything before you bringt it all back to the village at once, and save Pascal's item for last.

Well, jokes on you, because the next main event triggers as soon as you get the item from the Resistance Camp, cancelling all active sidequests in the process. The other quest items you collected are now worthless.

Not like this makes it fair, but
the marker for the main quest isn't on Pascal, it's on the other guy. So that one is the one that progresses the story and it's marked as such

The only artbooks that exist are the one in the CE and the World Guide, tho the latter is only partially an artbook and mostly a walkthrough guide, if you're buying it for the art alone you'll be disappointed.
Ah ok thanks. I've bought all the OG Nier artbooks and D3 ones and was looking to add to my collection. Already have the CE.

Moonkid

Five most standout tracks while the game's still fresh in my mind (not by particularly large margins mind you):

Memories of Dust [Full Arr.] - Desert
A Beautiful Song - Early Chapter A Boss
Voice of No Return - Sidequest resolution
Grandma [Vocals] - Mid Chapter A Boss
Tower - Late Chapter C zone

Honourable mentions to: Mourning, Dependent Weakling, Fortress of Lies, Birth of a Wish, and of course Ending E's song.

For what it's worth, my favourite songs from the original Nier would be:

Song of the Ancients - Devola
The Incomplete Stone
Kaine Salvation
Shadowlord's Castle Roar
Shadowlord - Route A final boss

...that's all I saved. >_______>
Of course it was. ;)

I'd link it, but it's right next to spoilery videos, so...
It's alright. I'll look it up again once I've completed the game.

Speaking of which, I guess I'm out for awhile. It's moving week and I'm going to need to break down the entertainment center and unhook the PS4. I just started route C and I think that's a good place to begin again once I'm moved into the new apartment and I have my free time back.

Zackat

so I didn't know I was about to
fight 5 hard mobs in a row, ending with fighting eve
and now I am out of healing items. Is there really no way for me to get anymore, or is my playthrough effectively over unless I can beat this boss without getting hit basically?

I am honestly pretty annoyed with this game right now due to this

LotusHD

Banned
so I didn't know I was about to
fight 5 hard mobs in a row, ending with fighting eve
and now I am out of healing items. Is there really no way for me to get anymore, or is my playthrough effectively over unless I can beat this boss without getting hit basically?

I am honestly pretty annoyed with this game right now due to this

Talk to Anemone. From now on, don't​ be frugal and stock up on curatives. Same thing happened to me lol

Zackat

Talk to Anemone. From now on, don't​ be frugal and stock up on curatives. Same thing happened to me lol

I can get back to her from fighting
eve in his boss arena?

Edit: I am gonna have to reload my old save before all this started aren't I? What a waste of my time.

Top Bottom