• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

It's not supposed to be hard at all, if it feels that way, just continue with the story that you'll probably get the rest that way.

Good to know, thanks.

(I'm trying to finish off all the side content too early, clearly. Just got insta-killed by
Emil
's undodgeable attack because I'm only level 74.)

Szadek

Don't fight the super boss until you are level 99.
Killing the rabbit is an easy way to get max level.

Should probably finish the story first though, because otherwise the endgame bosses are a joke.

w0s

First time player and I have some questions I've made it to the
amusement park
which is only a couple hours in and have a questions.

Are there robots that if I kill I screw myself? No spoilers please.

LotusHD

Banned
First time player and I have some questions I've made it to the
amusement park
which is only a couple hours in and have a questions.

Are there robots that if I kill I screw myself? No spoilers please.

Yes. But the game will make it obvious when you've screwed yourself. Not
at the amusement park specifically, but yea

Steveo

Banned
About how long is the 3rd playthrough? Is it shorter than the other two?

I might be getting a bit of Nier burnout... so if it's long, I might take a break and finish it later.

Just finished A and finished the first B sequence... This is a really interesting game. I can't help but feel like if the time was spent polishing one of the combat types rather than implementing 3d/2d melee combat, shmup, and dual analog shooter the general gameplay would be better.

I like where it seemed like the story was going with route A but it seemed to abruptly stop investigating the
rogue android storyline
which was a bit disappointing.

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished A and finished the first B sequence... This is a really interesting game. I can't help but feel like if the time was spent polishing one of the combat types rather than implementing 3d/2d melee combat, shmup, and dual analog shooter the general gameplay would be better.

I like where it seemed like the story was going with route A but it seemed to abruptly stop investigating the
rogue android storyline
which was a bit disappointing.

There was likely no way a Nier game was getting made without stuff like shmup and the various camera anglesbeing implemented. That's just Taro's thing.

As for the story, keep going!

1upsuper

That's kind of the whole point of the series.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I don't think it's the point of the series, it's more that's how taro likes to do things.

Still though, playing through OG nier now I'll say that the combat and shmup sections in Automata are a MASSIVE improvement.

There was likely no way a Nier game was getting made without stuff like shmup and the various camera anglesbeing implemented. That's just Taro's thing.

As for the story, keep going!

Could be a staple of the series but it doesn't stop it from being a jack of all trades master of none. I think it stands out even more given platinum's pedigree with 3rd person action games.

Still enjoyed my time with Route A, I'll continue on through B since it seems different enough so far.

I think the combat systems fit their respective games. Neither system would work well with the other game, since the characters and their situations are completely different.

Nier was just some dude with a pipe. I don't want to see him doing cuhrazy air juggles while teleporting around in slowmo and constantly regenerating all his health.

Similarly, 2B is a hypertech android
who processes combat as love/pleasure.
It wouldn't make sense for her to just smack her sword into the machines over and over and desperately diveroll the hell out dodge or use her weapon as a makeshift shield.

LotusHD

Banned
Could be a staple of the series but it doesn't stop it from being a jack of all trades master of none. I think it stands out even more given platinum's pedigree with 3rd person action games.

I mean, that's completely fair of you to say, I'm just saying, there was no way he was going to focus on just one thing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think the combat systems fit their respective games. Neither system would work well with the other game, since the characters and their situations are completely different.

Nier was just some dude with a pipe. I don't want to see him doing cuhrazy air juggles while teleporting around in slowmo and constantly regenerating all his health.

Similarly, 2B is a hypertech android
who processes combat as love/pleasure.
It wouldn't make sense for her to just smack her sword into the machines over and over and desperately diveroll the hell out dodge or use her weapon as a makeshift shield.

Oh I agree, but it's more like the little stuff like hit-stop lasting slightly too long and animation taking a bit too much priority, just a number of little stuff like that which I think can be improved on just to make it feel... nicer. I wouldn't want nier og to have hyper slick juggles or combos though.

I know I just said the animation seems to take too much priority, but if they revamp it to a dark souls style combat with more weight behind the combat I think it would work really well honestly.

Still, I'm surprised what's in OG nier combat-wise was lambasted back in the day. Seemed competent enough to not warrant the reception it got.

Fishing does kinda suck though. >_> <_<

Oh I agree, but it's more like the little stuff like hit-stop lasting slightly too long and animation taking a bit too much priority, just a number of little stuff like that which I think can be improved on just to make it feel... nicer. I wouldn't want nier og to have hyper slick juggles or combos though.

I know I just said the animation seems to take too much priority, but if they revamp it to a dark souls style combat with more weight behind the combat I think it would work really well honestly.
True. That'd be neat.

1upsuper

I don't think it's the point of the series, it's more that's how taro likes to do things.

Still though, playing through OG nier now I'll say that the combat and shmup sections in Automata are a MASSIVE improvement.

In the Grimoire Nier Taro mentions that his desire to make a game that encapsulates different genres while not requiring players to learn new control systems sparked the creation of Nier. It may not be the point, but it suits some of the series' larger themes and inspired it.

Thanks to the hidden late-game pod programs, I managed to confirm that I am able to hear the pod distress signal. Good to have closure on that.

Also, finally figured out something:

The rewards in the
Soul Box
are all tied to the numbers in the "Stats" menu screen. So the two rewards I'm missing must be for dying a bunch of times and defeating your own corrupted body a few times.

I would have logged quite a few more deaths if they counted on route C.

I don't think most players have ever gotten a body corruption, so... that had better be a really good reward.

Ventara

On Route B right now, sidequest spoiler.
I just killed a wise machine. He wasn't talking so I figured he'd say something after his health got low enough. Didn't realize I was supposed to hack him.
Am I screwed?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just killed a wise machine. He wasn't talking so I figured he'd say something after his health got low enough. Didn't realize I was supposed to hack him.
Am I screwed?

It should reset I think

Am I screwed?

That's a weird one because it's not actually a proper sidequest, just something for you to see. It doesn't seem to count towards anything.

The last one does drop a plugin chip, but that's it.

MilkBeard

Still, I'm surprised what's in OG nier combat-wise was lambasted back in the day. Seemed competent enough to not warrant the reception it got.

Fishing does kinda suck though. >_> <_<

Yeah, I never had an issue with OG Nier's combat, I thought it served its purpose well. No complaints from me.

I haven't really played beyond the demo of Nier Automata, but I feel like the two styles can still exist.

Anyway, this leads me to my next point: In a couple of months, I will be buying a new laptop, most likely with the following specs:

i5 (newest Kabby lake laptop version)
GTX 1050 4 GB vram (mayyyybe with a Ti version but my options are limited where I live)
Most likely 8 GB memory

I know this game is not optimized well for PC, but my other choice is using a base PS4. So the question is, for those who have experienced the game: Will Nier Automata run better on a PC with the above specs, or a base PS4? I'm not looking for anything beyond 1080P locked 30fps, but depending on which version would perform better, I might buy either or.

Szadek

Finally got platinum trophy.
Even if it is pointless, I still had to do it.

Reading the archives, that you unlock after ending E, answered most of the questions I had left.

N° 2048

So fucking dumb that ending y is missable. had to buy the trophy for the plat.

I hit him while he was self destructing

jamsy

So I just started playing this....got to the boss fight with the two giant buzzsaw things and died.

What the fuck? There's no saving in this game? I'm kind of baffled as to what's going on. I have to play this shit from the start again?

LotusHD

Banned
So I just started playing this....got to the boss fight with the two giant buzzsaw things and died.

What the fuck? There's no saving in this game? I'm kind of baffled as to what's going on. I have to play this shit from the start again?

You have to get through that section (the factory), then you can save normally. If you're not already playing on Normal/Easy, do so in order to breeze through it quickly.

jamsy

You have to get through that section (the factory), then you can save normally. If you're not already playing on Normal/Easy, do so in order to breeze through it quickly.

Wow, that's fucking awful. I fucking hate replaying stuff. Took the disc out of the PS4 right after that. Fucking pretty pissed I spent time picking up all those shitty items now. Have absolutely no desire to retry today.

foxdvd

Finished this up last night. I was only going to play a bit and before I knew it it was 1:30 am...

If you were to ask me what I would have given the game after my first two playthroughs, on A and B..I would give it an 8 or maybe an 8.5. While I enjoyed looking at the game a second time from a different perspective, and seeing more story elements, the core of the second run was rehashing the first play and I did not enjoy that.

My third play though...my god. THAT was amazing. I would easily give that run a solid 9.5 if not higher. Combat was amazing. The story hit home. Characters I did not even know I cared about made me care...and those boss fights. I LOVED the switching back and forth at times.

Overall a 9 out of 10...a shame that many will never experience the best parts of this game.

LotusHD

Banned
Wow, that's fucking awful. I fucking hate replaying stuff. Took the disc out of the PS4 right after that. Fucking pretty pissed I spent time picking up all those shitty items now. Have absolutely no desire to retry today.

Fortunately not much time is lost, so meh, could be worse lol

Finished this up last night. I was only going to play a bit and before I knew it it was 1:30 am...

If you were to ask me what I would have given the game after my first two playthroughs, on A and B..I would give it an 8 or maybe an 8.5. While I enjoyed looking at the game a second time from a different perspective, and seeing more story elements, the core of the second run was rehashing the first play and I did not enjoy that.

My third play though...my god. THAT was amazing. I would easily give that run a solid 9.5 if not higher. Combat was amazing. The story hit home. Characters I did not even know I cared about made me care...and those boss fights. I LOVED the switching back and forth at times.

Overall a 9 out of 10...a shame that many will never experience the best parts of this game.

You get D and E as well?

Yeah, I was overleveled for the end of route C - I hit level 78 off of the final bosses. Set the game back to hard and still only died three times.

Still underleveled for the last fights of the DLC, fortunately. Glad to have this here as a backup challenge.

But I'm still only at 93% unit data! Time to grind for that last sidequest after all.

The best part of that whole route was the emotional swerves - they hit you when you see them coming, they hit you when you get blindsided. In terms of plot, maybe a few too many ideas pulled straight from the golden age of sci-fi - but what do you expect, I guess, with an ending titled
Childhood's End.

The Nier 1 throwbacks packed a punch, seriously, with how spot-on everything was. When the vocal version of that theme finally came on I thought I would be prepared because I just heard it last week in the concert - but I wasn't.

deadfolk

Freaky - I did the same, and at the exact same time!

HUGE SPOILER QUESTION. DON'T CLICK UNLESS YOU HAVE DONE ENDING E!
I guess that having
deleted my saves, the DLC is kinda pointless unless I play through again from the start? If so, even having DLC seems kind of odd.

IbukiLordSA

Go home Platinum you guys are drunk

This level 99 special stage in the flooded city of the dlc is the first time a game has ever made me think about farming, I need to git gud with this. I think if I had some better chips I could get through it but this is just the beginning of the damn this. Probably the hardest thing I have ever tried to finish in a game, it's so fun though, the challenge keeps sucking me in, easily the hardest thing out this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FE3Lw-O94g

Gbraga

Freaky - I did the same, and at the exact same time!

HUGE SPOILER QUESTION. DON'T CLICK UNLESS YOU HAVE DONE ENDING E!
I guess that having
deleted my saves, the DLC is kinda pointless unless I play through again from the start? If so, even having DLC seems kind of odd.

It's refreshing, though,
that there wasn't a dude in a suit from S-E to tell Yoko Taro he couldn't do this because they wanted to sell DLC. I have no doubts in my mind that this affected their sales. After all, it's among my favorite games of the generation and I still didn't buy it. Let alone the random person who only thought it was ok.

deadfolk

It's refreshing, though,
that there wasn't a dude in a suit from S-E to tell Yoko Taro he couldn't do this because they wanted to sell DLC. I have no doubts in my mind that this affected their sales. After all, it's among my favorite games of the generation and I still didn't buy it. Let alone the random person who only thought it was ok.

Totally agree.
Although I suspect that's more because they didn't expect the game to be successful enough to create DLC when that particular design decision was made.

Plum

Sorry if this has been asked a lot before but I'm considering getting the game on PS4 Pro seeing as it's on sale but I'm a tad bit worried after watching the DF video and seeing there's some performance issues in the open world. Anyone whose sensitive to framerate able to comment on how much of an issue it actually is? If it's not too bad I'm willing to buy the PS4 version despite eventually going to have a PC I could play it on.

Gbraga

Sorry if this has been asked a lot before but I'm considering getting the game on PS4 Pro seeing as it's on sale but I'm a tad bit worried after watching the DF video and seeing there's some performance issues in the open world. Anyone whose sensitive to framerate able to comment on how much of an issue it actually is? If it's not too bad I'm willing to buy the PS4 version despite eventually going to have a PC I could play it on.

It's more than fine on Pro. You'll definitely notice the performance issues, but it's no The Last Guardian.

Jacobson

I think I suck at this game. Started playing last night on hard, and I already died 3 times before I even reach the first save point. I'll try again this weekend when I'm less sleepy lol

spiritfox

I think I suck at this game. Started playing last night on hard, and I already died 3 times before I even reach the first save point. I'll try again this weekend when I'm less sleepy lol

Nah the opening sequence is bad enough on normal. Also hard is kinda well, hard, in this game. I recommend switching around difficulties until you find what you are comfortable with.

LotusHD

Banned

Don't play on Hard. Don't be stubborn, get through that section on Easy/Normal, then afterwards do what you want.

Jacobson

Don't play on Hard. Don't be stubborn, get through that section on Easy/Normal, then afterwards do what you want.

I'll try it one last time. I really was sleepy, I just fired up the game before I went to bed. If I still shit the bed I'm switching to normal.

Top Bottom