• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Any impression on weaker PCs yet? Rocking a laptop GPU from 2012 and I'm worried :s

(900p screen, 650M GPU, i7 3630QM CPU, targeting 60fps)

GTX 780m GPU
Inter Core i7 4700MQ @ 2.4
Runs mostly at 30fps-50fps.

No idea if it helps but setting the compatibility to Windows 7 helped the performance a bit on my rig and stopped the crashes I had on the actual combat.

Nick_C

Ran into this really weird bug, where I had 2 instances of the game running simultaneously. I had the same song playing over everything and went to Alt+Tab out to see if this was a known issue and I saw that I had the game running in 2 separate windows. No idea how it happened, or why.

I got rid of most of the pop in by turning off ambient occlusion. I didn't actually notice it until it was pointed out in this thread though, it only really comes up in specific parts of the wilderness stuff in the city

jett

D-Member
This game buckles quite a bit on the PS4 Pro. But it doesn't happen when there is a lot of on the screen, but when you just run around. So there might be some streaming related issue. And yeah, this game is ugly as hell at some points and the art barely hides that.

I think this game is ugly AF full-stop.

robotrock

Banned
Nothing, Platinum is no stranger to the 40-60 fps game.

I know, but the drops feel much more noticeable in this one, maybe because they are happening just simply roaming the world too. Rising and Bayonetta could drop hardcore during the hectic fight scenes, but with the amount of stuff going on there, I never really noticed. This is just like I'm walking here and then it dips

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Browsing over some problems people are having, 24hz, fucked up aspect ratios. Platinum has learned absolutely nothing from Metal Gear Rising, which had the exact same issues at launch and still has them.

Truly fucked up. Wont be buying until deep sale on steam.

Yeah was gonna buy this now but I don't want to deal with any bullshit.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
When I set the game to fullscreen it has black bars around it even though its the right resolution, how do I fix that? I have a 1060. Also is there no borderless window option?

robotrock

Banned
When I set the game to fullscreen it has black bars around it even though its the right resolution, how do I fix that? I have a 1060. Also is there no borderless window option?

like, the faded out black bars kind of thing? They should just appear during the cutscenes or....the cinematic parts. It's a feature, not a bug!

J4g3r

The last two pre-rendered cutscenes that have played for me (currently in the desert) haven't had that stutter at all.

The first couple during the opening did though.

Nillansan

I've been playing Nier Automata for about 2 hours now. I am getting locked 60 FPS at 1440P with the following settings.

V-Sync - Off (as I have a G-Sync monitor - Acer XB271HU).
AA - Off.
Texture Filter - 16 X.
Blur - Off.
Shadows - High.
Effects - High.
AO - On.

I am able to achieve this with the following specifications. 3570K overclocked to 4.5 GHz, 980 TI and 16 GB RAM (DDR3 - 1600MHz). I've installed the game on a SSD. I am going to try with a bit of AA.

robotrock

Banned
no, as if it is displaying at a smaller resolution

What is the aspect ratio on your monitor? I think 16:9 should be fine and display without black bars, but anything else, you're gonna need the borderless windowed application JaseC mentions in the OP. Should be able to get any kind of aspect ratio you want.

Anteater

Alright. I'm pretty sure the game runs at whatever resolution you set it to in fullscreen, there's just some weird issue with scaling when it tries to enter fullscreen, so I guess give this a try:

set your desktop resolution to a higher res than 1920x1080, like say 2880x1620, then enter fullscreen in the game, it seems to look better to me. Someone with better eyes can try it (because 1080p is kind of blurry already with post processing, but 1620p is definitely how it should look)

leng jai

I can't get over how they kept the transparent black bars in cutscenes from the original Nier. Serves no purpose other than looking absolutely dreadful.

There's this weird instance in the opening level where it seems everything moves slow mo yet fraps persists it's 60 fps. Ran the PS4 demo real quick to make sure I'm not insane, and yeah not crazy yet.

ZeroEdge

Gah, it runs fairly smooth on my PC (except cut scenes , they stutter like a bitch) but every so often I'm getting the damn white screen crash on my poor RX480. Everything else runs fine just not Nier :'( I know some people rolled back drivers but I really don't want to...

kingbean

Running it at 1440p Max with 2xAA with Borderless Gaming and it's a pretty rock-solid 60fps. I was getting stuttering but I turned on vsync and now the microstuttering has stopped.

i5 4690k 4.5ghz
16gb ram
GTX1080
Win 10

RaffAO

You could buy the original Nier for £10 brand new in a shop just a month after it came out in the UK. I did just that and loved it. The gameplay and ridiculous plot were very refreshing. You could feel the very playful presence of the developers messing with your expectations as you played the game.

I built my current PC to play Planetside 2 in 2012 and upgraded the graphics card modestly last year for Dark Souls 3, which it runs very well.

Windows 7
Core i5 3470 3.20GHz
8GB RAM (don't remember what kind)
NVidia GTX 750 Ti 4GB

(does not meet minimum specs)

I am running the game at 1280x720, GPU scaled for my 1080p monitor or TV.
At this resolution the game is playable at full settings but is not great, so I am running it on low settings except for effects on high.

Performance seems consistent and smooth, but this port is obviously not a technical masterpiece considering how little is going on on the screen.

It doesn't really seem like Yoko Taro tends to have much budget left for programmers. Drakengard 3 is one of the worst game's I've ever played and its performance is almost as bad as its plot, themes, characters and artwork.

Ferrio

Banned
Got through the opening, game runs fine except the cut scenes were it locks down to 30 (but some reason looks worse?). i7 with a 1070.

Nzyme32

Alright. I'm pretty sure the game runs at whatever resolution you set it to in fullscreen, there's just some weird issue with scaling when it tries to enter fullscreen, so I guess give this a try:

set your desktop resolution to a higher res than 1920x1080, like say 2880x1620, then enter fullscreen in the game, it seems to look better to me. Someone with better eyes can try it (because 1080p is kind of blurry already with post processing, but 1620p is definitely how it should look)

Seems to effect people differently. TB had no issues but clearly a lot of other do. I've been using Borderless just in case, and my performance is pretty top notch, but then again the resolution of the native monitor is lower than 1080p anyway. Going to try downsampling later on and see how it does.

Got through the opening, game runs fine except the cut scenes were it locks down to 30 (but some reason looks worse?). i7 with a 1070.

Cutscenes appear to play at 20fps or something, but the game switches to rendering at 30fps for them and maintains that, so I have no idea what is happening there. Also for tits like me on 16:10, it won't add borders but rather stretch the pre-rendered scenes, which is a bit silly. If you have wider aspect ratios this isn't the case, so the vast majority will be fine.

Ragnaroz

Gah, it runs fairly smooth on my PC (except cut scenes , they stutter like a bitch) but every so often I'm getting the damn white screen crash on my poor RX480. Everything else runs fine just not Nier :'( I know some people rolled back drivers but I really don't want to...
Don't use the latest AMD drivers. I had the white screen crashes as well and rolling back the drivers made them disappear.

dr_rus

Running fine here on 6850K/1080 maxed out (meaning MSAA 8x) in 1440p. Some dips below 60 happen here and there but generally runs great - and I'm not sure if these dips aren't caused by me trying to record the game with a new RTSS beta...

Some cutscenes are FMVs hiding the loading, as usual. They look worse due to compression and a fixed 1080p resolution.

First game I've ever bought with this black screen and crashing issue. One other guy in the forum can't play either but no solutions as of yet :/

Logos and loading screens and then just darkness.

robotrock

Banned
Good enough for me. Usually I turn shadows to medium or high instead of ultra and gsync allows me to not care too much about locked 60.

How does a gsync monitor allow you not to care about the locked 60? I see this often, but I think I don't actually have an understanding of how a gsync monitor works. It allows you to disable vsync, which I assume is a + for input lag, but is that it?

This game buckles quite a bit on the PS4 Pro. But it doesn't happen when there is a lot of on the screen, but when you just run around. So there might be some streaming related issue.
Yeah, my i7 2600 really only takes hits when running through the more open areas. I usually catch shadows/foliage popping in the moment it catches up. Combat is really smooth otherwise, and that's where it matters, so I'm not too bothered by it, personally.

Any 660 or 940 users?

;( I really don't wanna buy just to test performance.
I remember seeing a 660 user earlier say they couldn't get a stable 60fps.

EDIT: Found it

They weren't kidding with the system requirements this time, it seems. My 660 is far below the 'minimum' spec of a 770, and it runs in the single digits, even with everything on low. If you've got an older GPU like me, you're probably going to want to stay away until you can manage to upgrade.

i5 4670k 3.4ghz
GTX 660 2GB
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 64-bit

tuna_love

Banned
How does a gsync monitor allow you not to care about the locked 60? I see this often, but I think I don't actually have an understanding of how a gsync monitor works. It allows you to disable vsync, which I assume is a + for input lag, but is that it?

refresh rate changes to whatever the game is running at, no stutters in theory

Any 660 or 940 users?

;( I really don't wanna buy just to test performance.

don't buy it. someone earlier in the thread was trying to run it on a 940m (w/ 2GB of vram) and it wasn't running well.

It's below the min spec of a 770.. so I wouldn't recommend it. This game appears to have accurately stated the minimum requirements.

Does high preset turn on AA?

yes, the 'high' preset sets 8x MSAA

Gbraga

The main reason why framerate drops affect us is because the game is no longer updating at the same refresh rate as our monitor. Also the reason why 30fps "feels better" than 40 is because it's half of 60hz, so it updates more evenly.

Gsync monitors have variable refresh rates, basically, so it'll be smooth no matter when the picture updates.

You'll still be able to easily notice the difference between framerates, and higher will still be better, but reasonable drops will no longer feel stuttery.

Or at least that's my understanding of it. Never tried one myself.

Battlechili

Banned
What are the most taxxing settings in this game? I keep getting framerate drops and lowering the AA doesn't seem to do much. I want to try lowering the settings before downloading a tool to limit the framerate at a bit lower than 60.

Top Bottom