• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Does the PC version (GTX 1080) looks and runs really so much better than the PS4 Pro version that it's the obvious version to go?
I'm still tempted by the nice looking steelbook for the PS4 version and having the game in the PS4 OS with PS4 achievements would be nice too.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does the PC version (GTX 1080) looks and runs really so much better than the PS4 Pro version that it's the obvious version to go?
I'm still tempted by the nice looking steelbook for the PS4 version and having the game in the PS4 OS with PS4 achievements would be nice too.

Considering 1080 is like twice as strong as Pro's GPU and is usually going to be paired with a stronger CPU by default, i think that is common sense.

Of course, just in my personal opinion(and this is just my personal opinion) after having played 90 hours of it, the PS4 OG version is a very playable experience. It does drop FPS sometimes but on the whole its very solid and a lot better than Platinum's last gen console efforts in terms of keeping FPS up. Far better than something like bayonetta 2 on Wii U, or MGSR on PS3/360 for example

I'm experiencing dips/stuttering in certain areas where i drop from 60 to 56/50, v-sync off/g-sync on, fullscreen with the fix.
I this something related to how the open world is built in this game? It's like the game inevitably stutters when you shift from an area to another one.

Inuhanyou

I'm experiencing dips/stuttering in certain areas where i drop from 60 to 56/50, v-sync off/g-sync on, fullscreen with the fix.
I this something related to how the open world is built in this game? It's like the game inevitably stutters when you shift from an area to another one.

streaming issues are prevalent in the engine code itself it seems.

happens to me too.
Also the kaldein fix worked but now I have the issue with the crappy cutscenes, before they were fine. I don't know if it's because of the fix or simply these new cutscenes give the problem

happens to me too.
Also the kaldein fix worked but now I have the issue with the crappy cutscenes, before they were fine. I don't know if it's because of the fix or simply these new cutscenes give the problem

Having just played through one ending and restarted, the early cutscenes don't seem to have the kind of issues you see later on. Some cutscenes late game were clearly outpaced by the audio even

Paragon

I can confirm that MSI Afterburner interferes with Kaldaien's fix even though it appeared like it wasn't being loaded.
After adding an exception for Nier, the fix seems to be working as intended and fullscreen mode is 1:1 mapped at 1080p now.

I have noticed that it also seems to affect the DSR filter though, so downsampling looks bad.
Not that it really matters right now, since my 1070 can't handle running the game at anything higher than 1080p without dropping frames anyway.

I was trying to post a video of this yesterday but couldn't figure out a way to prevent YouTube from destroying the image quality of what I was uploading.
I'm sure it's an issue with what is encoded on my end, because any time it would drop frames, the resulting YouTube video would macroblock really badly.
Eventually I gave up trying to figure out how I had to encode my videos to prevent that, since it takes me 2500K so long.

But yes, it's 100% reproducible for me.
I can run the game on the lowest settings and it will still stutter when I cross certain thresholds in the open world as it streams in new data.
I'm not seeing anything which seems like an immediate cause (CPU/GPU load remains low) so I'm guessing it's just the engine.

Inuhanyou

Can we chalk this up to being primarily due to Platinum's inexperience with building open world games? It feels like they repurposed their previous engine for this new game and tried to heavily customize it for infinitely wider spaces, enemy counts and enviormental variety over their previous focus on linear setpieces, but it ended up leading to certain issues

I can confirm that MSI Afterburner interferes with Kaldaien's fix even though it appeared like it wasn't being loaded.
After adding an exception for Nier, the fix seems to be working as intended and fullscreen mode is 1:1 mapped at 1080p now.

I have noticed that it also seems to affect the DSR filter though, so downsampling looks bad.
Not that it really matters right now, since my 1070 can't handle running the game at anything higher than 1080p without dropping frames anyway.

I was trying to post a video of this yesterday but couldn't figure out a way to prevent YouTube from destroying the image quality of what I was uploading.
I'm sure it's an issue with what is encoded on my end, because any time it would drop frames, the resulting YouTube video would macroblock really badly.
Eventually I gave up trying to figure out how I had to encode my videos to prevent that, since it takes me 2500K so long.

But yes, it's 100% reproducible for me.
I can run the game on the lowest settings and it will still stutter when I cross certain thresholds in the open world as it streams in new data.
I'm not seeing anything which seems like an immediate cause (CPU/GPU load remains low) so I'm guessing it's just the engine.

I was having the same issue and the only fix for me was to move the game to my SSD. Try moving the game to a faster drive if you can and see if it helps.

Paragon

I was having the same issue and the only fix for me was to move the game to my SSD. Try moving the game to a faster drive if you can and see if it helps.
It's already on a SATA3 SSD that should be capable of saturating the connection, so I don't think that's it unless something has gone wrong with the drive's TRIM functionality.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
I've found that Kaldaien's framerate limiter can end up inducing further stutter when you're just barely managing to hit 60fps.

To anyone having stuttering issues after installing the fix I suggest trying pushing up the limiter tolerance (Ctrl+Shift+Backspace, there's a slider for it) or disabling his framepacing code (change TargetFPS=60.0 to TargetFPS=0.0 in dxgi.ini)

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
Were you running fullscreen before? Without this mod fullscreen would have only been rendering 900p so that's why it may seem like it's performing worse now.

That wouldn't be it. Without the fix the game still renders at the selected resolution (the rendered frames are then downscaled to match the display mode, then upscaled again to match the display's native resolution*)

*: Putting it this way makes the developer responsible sound a lot dumber than they are :p

Durante

Of course, absolutely, easily.

On a 1080 it maintains a locked 60 FPS in gameplay (which the PS4 Pro doesn't manage to), at nearly twice the number of pixels (1440p).

MaLDo

I'm considering buying the game when waters settle a bit more.

So is the AO option in the game more like a Enable PostProcessing option? I mean, reading here it's like a Ambient Occlusion + PostAA + Colorgrading.

Durante

I'm considering buying the game when waters settle a bit more.

So is the AO option in the game more like a Enable PostProcessing option? I mean, reading here it's like a Ambient Occlusion + PostAA + Colorgrading.
No idea about color grading, I didn't notice that, but it is at least PostAA + AO.

Any tips for a i7 at 3GHz and a GTX1060? I have tried the patch (but it actually got worse) and am currently running borderless with AA and Vsync off but I still get huge frame drops at certain points in the world no matter what setting I'm on.

Having just played through one ending and restarted, the early cutscenes don't seem to have the kind of issues you see later on. Some cutscenes late game were clearly outpaced by the audio even

I see, that might be the reason then. Also, is it possible that the resolution is still a little bit weird? I noticed that if I open the steam overlay with nier, the text isn't exactly sharp like in other games, like the resolution is a little bit off still

Ruff

Any tips for a i7 at 3GHz and a GTX1060? I have tried the patch (but it actually got worse) and am currently running borderless with AA and Vsync off but I still get huge frame drops at certain points in the world no matter what setting I'm on.

I feel you. I have an 1060 and I had to turn AA, and AO off to stay around 55-60 at all times. Good thing I'm not really sensitive to jaggies.

I've found that Kaldaien's framerate limiter can end up inducing further stutter when you're just barely managing to hit 60fps.

To anyone having stuttering issues after installing the fix I suggest trying pushing up the limiter tolerance (Ctrl+Shift+Backspace, there's a slider for it) or disabling his framepacing code (change TargetFPS=60.0 to TargetFPS=0.0 in dxgi.ini)

in my experience, disabling his framerate limiter isn't enough to return performance levels to where they were without his fix installed..

I've gone back to borderless gaming and running the game in a window w/ RTSS capping the framerate. He mentioned something about one of the other tweaks.. I think it was the backbuffer setting he added.. when he realized they were doing quadbuffering or maybe the max prerendered frames = 3 setting.. other people reported lower framerates and bigger drops from 60 with his fix in place too.. he said it was because people were seeing benefit from the 2 frame input delay or something to that effect.

for what it's worth, (not to dog on him, because he does good work for the community).. his fix causes my FPS to drop as low as 54 when the game hitches.. and I've got a pascal titan oc'd by 200mhz and I'm running @ 1080p w/ MSAA disabled in game.

Anteater

you're going to have to get fullscreen working because window mode will always have a few frames performance hit, also, overclock your gpu if you haven't already, I have it on a SSD and the game still has some streaming small stutter at 59-60

So this is weird:

I played through the tutorial twice. The first time, the cutscenes before and after beating the first boss were choppy as hell, with the one after being like 5-10 fps.

The second time, only the cutscenes before the boss was choppy. The one after was a steady 30 fps as it should be.

I really don't get it. It's inconsistent even on the same hardware

Considering 1080 is like twice as strong as Pro's GPU and is usually going to be paired with a stronger CPU by default, i think that is common sense.

Of course, just in my personal opinion(and this is just my personal opinion) after having played 90 hours of it, the PS4 OG version is a very playable experience. It does drop FPS sometimes but on the whole its very solid and a lot better than Platinum's last gen console efforts in terms of keeping FPS up. Far better than something like bayonetta 2 on Wii U, or MGSR on PS3/360 for example

On a 1080 it maintains a locked 60 FPS in gameplay (which the PS4 Pro doesn't manage to), at nearly twice the number of pixels (1440p).
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Wish both PC and PS4 version had cross save, so that I could just get both.
I replayed the PS4 demo on my Pro and noticed slowdowns right at the beginning before shooting down the bridge and some aliasing.
Great news.

matmanx1

On my 980ti based system (i7 4Ghz non OC' - 16GB DDR4 3200) I have found that 4x AA and 4x texture filterting with AO off seems to be keeping me at 60fps and all but eliminating any jaggies at the same time.

I am using High/On for most everything else.

For the very most part I am quite happy with the port.

nBurbidge

Neo Member

Just installed this and it appears to be working, though not perfectly for me.

PC with DS4 prompts:

nbfdzq.png

PS4:

ffbxid.png

Schlomo

But what about the stuttering when progressing to new areas? Is that the same on PS4?

Peterthumpa

On my 980ti based system (i7 4Ghz non OC' - 16GB DDR4 3200) I have found that 4x AA and 4x texture filterting with AO off seems to be keeping me at 60fps and all but eliminating any jaggies at the same time.

I am using High/On for most everything else.

For the very most part I am quite happy with the port.

Resolution?

Quoting myself since returning to borderless window has greatly improved the transitions between different areas. I don't know, maybe the fix does not work properly for me.

Top Bottom