• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Wait I have my settings maxed out on a gtx 1070 and I haven't been having any frame rate issues like it's constantly at cap at 1080p why are some people having issues with the Same card?

Same, I can put AA to x8 and it never dips below 60 fps at 1080p but before Kaldaien fix I would get weird stuttering.

My goodness. Now, I'm mostly enjoying the game but it's getting to the point that I just want to roll my eyes when someone dismissively says that it is a good port or compare it to the PS4 version in the face of people having problems.

I don't give a flip if it's the same or a little better than the PS4 version or there were little resources devoted to the game for a small studio or whatever other excuse for goodness sakes. I and others are experiencing problems that are effecting our enjoyment of playing the version of the game that we have. Period. The problems are there. It would be better for literally everyone involved if they weren't. If people keep pretending that these problems don't bother them the developers will have less of a reason to devote resources to fix them. Full stop.

Gbraga

My goodness. Now, I'm mostly enjoying the game but it's getting to the point that I just want to roll my eyes when someone dismissively says that it is a good port or compare it to the PS4 version in the face of people having problems.

I don't give a flip if it's the same or a little better than the PS4 version or there were little resources devoted to the game for a small studio or whatever other excuse for goodness sakes. I and others are experiencing problems that are effecting our enjoyment of playing the version of the game that we have. Period. The problems are there. It would be better for literally everyone involved if they weren't. If people keep pretending that these problems don't bother them the developers will have less of a reason to devote resources to fix them. Full stop.

Then elaborate, why don't you think it's a good port? It's not a great one, but I think it's decent.

How can you dismiss comparisons to the PS4 version and then talk about the quality of the port? It's a port of something, so how it runs compared to that something is fundamental to judging the port quality.

Being a good port and having issues are not mutually exclusive. No one's saying it's perfect.

It's great when they go the extra mile and add a bunch of options and it runs flawlessly even in low end hardware, but it's ok if it doesn't.

Of course, you don't have to agree, but just like you can disagree with that, some people disagree with your definition of what a good port is.

You didn't have to buy it, there was enough information about the game's performance, and if anything, it got better since release, with people learning more about the game's settings, like how to prevent the aggressive pop-in. You could also refund it if you bought on Steam.

I don't know what else to say. You don't have to be happy with it, but that just means you have really high standards, not that this is a terrible port.

For reference, I wouldn't consider vanilla Dark Souls to be terrible either, just REALLY basic, but infinitely better than not having the game on PC.

You can use the price point as reference, but again, the PS4 comparison is relevant. It's not cheaper on PS4 because the performance is not as good as you'd expect judging by how the game looks.

And it's not about pretending the problems don't exist, on the contrary, I'd rather have them fixing something like cutscenes, that to me are real issues with this version, than the fact that people want to run it at a higher resolution or better AA with their current hardware.

Crashes and such should obviously be fixed.

Philtastic

I tried Steam's built-in DS4 support for the first time. Anyone else have problems with buttons seemingly being double-pressed? As in, you hit a button and it acts as if you hit it twice? For now, I'm going back to InputMapper which doesn't have this problem.

Then elaborate, why don't you think it's a good port? It's not a great one, but I think it's decent.

How can you dismiss comparisons to the PS4 version and then talk about the quality of the port? It's a port of something, so how it runs compared to that something is fundamental to judging the port quality.

Being a good port and having issues are not mutually exclusive. No one's saying it's perfect.

It's great when they go the extra mile and add a bunch of options and it runs flawlessly even in low end hardware, but it's ok if it doesn't.

Of course, you don't have to agree, but just like you can disagree with that, some people disagree with your definition of what a good port is.

You didn't have to buy it, there was enough information about the game's performance, and if anything, it got better since release, with people learning more about the game's settings, like how to prevent the aggressive pop-in. You could also refund it if you bought on Steam.

I don't know what else to say. You don't have to be happy with it, but that just means you have really high standards, not that this is a terrible port.

For reference, I wouldn't consider vanilla Dark Souls to be terrible either, just REALLY basic, but infinitely better than not having the game on PC.

You can use the price point as reference, but again, the PS4 comparison is relevant. It's not cheaper on PS4 because the performance is not as good as you'd expect judging by how the game looks.

And it's not about pretending the problems don't exist, on the contrary, I'd rather have them fixing something like cutscenes, that to me are real issues with this version, than the fact that people want to run it at a higher resolution or better AA with their current hardware.

Crashes and such should obviously be fixed.

Show me, friend. Show me where I said that it was a terrible port. Or even labeled what kind of port it was. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. I admit that is a definite possibility lol.

My whole point was that it doesn't matter in the end. What matters is what issues people have to deal with right now as they are playing the game.

And I said I was enjoying the game btw. But no matter what game and how much I love it, if I have to deal with issues then it dampens my experience. It would be better if the issues weren't there and the developers aren't going to devote time and resources to fix them if enough people don't express their want for that.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
Crossposting from the Steam thread because people here might find it interesting as well:

I've got a possible lead regarding performance.

(To any players reading this: what I'm about to suggest quickly turns the screen to garbage; a real optimisation would likely still yield significant performance gains, but not quite this extreme)

They're spending half their frametime in their global illumination middleware's compute shader. Something about how they're using it is very wrong. If I just disable it, my framerate at 4K, all settings max except MSAA, on a 980ti, goes from 30 to 60. Have a pointer: 0x14052843C. Five Weird Nops That Platinum Doesn't Want You To Know (The Last One Will Surprise You).

Not really sure what to do with this though. The uninformed poking around I've been doing didn't yield any obvious "change this number to make go fast" parameter ;)

The middleware they're using is the sort of thing you can't buy unless your project has a six-figure budget; that said, it's implemented in Unity 5 and their SDK docs are public.

One relatively easy way to improve performance might be to do this work in lower resolution, then upscale and blur. No idea if that'd still look acceptable, and it's still nontrivial, but I imagine it could be worth it. Probably not the right solution though.

No word and I don't think it will get one. I don't think any Platinum PC game has gotten a patch before and apparently SE just ignore all their PC ports.

I'd like to believe they'll patch it. They should at the very least patch the "fullcreen bug." Sure, it works just fine with the 3rd party borderless gaming app, but I'd much rather not have to use it at all. Call me entitled, but paying customers shouldn't have to concern themselves with "modding" basic functionality into the game.

Gbraga

Show me, friend. Show me where I said that it was a terrible port. Or even labeled what kind of port it was. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. I admit that is a definite possibility lol.

My whole point was that it doesn't matter in the end. What matters is what issues people have to deal with right now as they are playing the game.

And I said I was enjoying the game btw. But no matter what game and how much I love it, if I have to deal with issues then it dampens my experience. It would be better if the issues weren't there and the developers aren't going to devote time and resources to fix them if enough people don't express their want for that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just saying that because people think it's good, it doesn't mean they think it's perfect or anything. Good to me is "decent", "at least equal to the consol version". If it's worse, then I start to have issues with it, but just being extremely basic is not enough for me not to consider it good.

But that's why I asked you to elaborate on it, maybe your issues with the game are also things I'd find unacceptable, and just didn't notice people mentioning before.

I'd like to believe they'll patch it. They should at the very least patch the "fullcreen bug." Sure, it works just fine with the 3rd party borderless gaming app, but I'd much rather not have to use it at all. Call me entitled, but paying customers shouldn't have to concern themselves with "modding" basic functionality into the game.

I actually agree with this, I'm just assuming this is something they'll definitely patch, since it's by far the most trivial issue, but I may be wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just saying that because people think it's good, it doesn't mean they think it's perfect or anything. Good to me is "decent", "at least equal to the consol version". If it's worse, then I start to have issues with it, but just being extremely basic is not enough for me not to consider it good.

But that's why I asked you to elaborate on it, maybe your issues with the game are also things I'd find unacceptable, and just didn't notice people mentioning before.

It has nothing to do with it being unacceptable. None of the issues for me personally have been absolutely "dealbreaking" but they have absolutely been disappointing and frustrating especially the more I grow to love the game. Maybe it's because of my educational environment where our motto was excellence and perseverance but I don't think that we should take a "well it's good enough" stance where we are trying to deal with issues, especially where they could easily be fixed. The more I see the brilliance of the actual game, story and world the more I want the game to excel in all ways it can for everyone. Thing is, we don't know what can and can't be easily fixed until the devs say something. But going by history of issues with games, they won't if we don't first. This doesn't necessarily lay the blame at Platinums feet either. I can see it being an SE thing where they have devoted a very small budget to these things or have mandated that no resources can be devoted to fixing issues until they start seeing X percentage of feedback on them. I really don't know though lol. It also probably has a lot to do with the devs not having much experience with the PC environment. In that case resources could be used to outsource help from someone who does.

It's just that, when someone dismissively says it's a good port or as good or better than the PS4 version or whatever other excuse when someone says they are disappointed or having issues, that doesn't magically make the issues disappear for them or even more bearable.

Also, I'd say that people definitely are going to be scratching their heads because the game looks far worse graphically (Artstyle is subjective but I love it here) than some games that run better as well. So yeah, less technical people are going to wonder why the comparatively bad performance here?

Copper

I was having that same issue only it was when I was using borderless window and rtss. I'm going to try the fix now.

I actually solved this issue by moving my game over to my SSD. Now all transition drops are gone. Game is 60fps almost 100% of the time.

Zanzura

If you have issues with the game's performance then feel free to use any of these avenues to make them aware of it:

SE NA Support: https://support.na.square-enix.com/main.php?id=15861&la=1&nojump
SE EU Support: https://support.eu.square-enix.com/main.php?id=15421&la=2&nojump
Platinum Twitter: https://twitter.com/platinumgames (No idea if they respond to English tweets so maybe use the Nier one instead)
Nier Twitter: https://twitter.com/NieRGame

Complaining about core performance of the game is one thing, it's another to make the ignorant claim of it being a bad port job using poor arguments like the max AA option killing your FPS. Yeah, they could label it better and describe what the option does more thoroughly but please, turn down the AA setting and see how that goes before voicing your issues. I don't think anyone here is denying there are issues with the game. The stuttering cutscenes are unacceptable, the stuttering that occurs in-game on both platforms that seems to be only solved on PC by installing to a high-performance SSD, the fullscreen bug that needs a third-party injection/mod to work, the white screen/freeze-frame crashes, and so on all need to be fixed. A general performance patch would no doubt be greatly appreciated, but considering the publisher's history, I don't think it's likely. It doesn't hurt to try, perhaps a GAF movement could be formed to patch the game for both the PS4 and PC? I think it should perform better on both systems (maybe not so much on the PS4 considering the CPU).

If you have issues with the game's performance then feel free to use any of these avenues to make them aware of it:

Platinum Twitter: https://twitter.com/platinumgames (No idea if they respond to English tweets so maybe use the Nier one instead)

Complaining about core performance of the game is one thing, it's another to make the ignorant claim of it being a bad port job using poor arguments like the max AA option killing your FPS. Yeah, they could label it better and describe what the option does more thoroughly but please, turn down the AA setting and see how that goes before voicing your issues. I don't think anyone here is denying there are issues with the game. The stuttering cutscenes are unacceptable, the stuttering that occurs in-game on both platforms that seems to be only solved on PC by installing to a high-performance SSD, the fullscreen bug that needs a third-party injection/mod to work, the white screen/freeze-frame crashes, and so on all need to be fixed. A general performance patch would no doubt be greatly appreciated, but considering the publisher's history, I don't think it's likely. It doesn't hurt to try, perhaps a GAF movement could be formed to patch the game for both the PS4 and PC? I think it should perform better on both systems (maybe not so much on the PS4 considering the CPU).

I hope you weren't referring to me?

Anyway, I agree with you. I'll do my part and tweet my desire for a Patch. Or really at least an update or something about what they are already doing if they are doing anything at all to fix the issues. Would go a long way to quell peoples worries if they at least said something was in the works.

Ghazi

I still experience stutter on my Samsung EVO. Granted, it isn't often, usually when I am getting into a different zone.

Zanzura

I hope you weren't referring to me?

Anyway, I agree with you. I'll do my part and tweet my desire for a Patch. Or really at least an update or something about what they are already doing if they are doing anything at all to fix the issues. Would go a long way to quell peoples worries if they at least said something was in the works.

No, I would've quoted you if I was, other posters have made vague "max settings" posts or outright said the game is a bad port while using 8x MSAA, not knowing how heavy of a performance impact that is in most modern games. This article needs to be read by everyone: http://www.pcgamer.com/what-optimization-really-means-in-games/

I still experience stutter on my Samsung EVO. Granted, it isn't often, usually when I am getting into a different zone.

I had it on a standard HDD and experienced frequent stuttering compared to my 850 EVO. It's still there but greatly minimized to like super mini-stutters.

naw

how do i get rid of my mouse cursor. i doesn't disappear on neither fullscreen or borderless window and it's starting to get on my nerves

how do i get rid of my mouse cursor. i doesn't disappear on neither fullscreen or borderless window and it's starting to get on my nerves

Mine disappears if I push it all the way off the screen to the right. But only on the right side.

EDIT: Will have to try Windows Key + Scroll Lock then lol. Thanks Gbraga.

naw

mine does that too, I just move it off to the right side of the screen (itll fully disappear on the right)

Mine disappears if I push it all the way off the screen to the right. But only on the right side.

EDIT: Will have to try Windows Key + Scroll Lock then lol. Thanks Gbraga.
Yea I've been doing this for the 22 hours I've played the game but I still notice it lmao, especially when I die and I have to look at the black loading screen. I immediately start looking at it.

Try this:

blessss this worked

preciate the responses guys

JustinBB7

White screen crashes getting worse now for fuck sake. So frustrating. And I'm on a 970 too, not a 780 or whatever people are mostly getting it with.

Bought the game without even having that much money (absolutely loved first Nier) and planned to play for whole evening as I have freeday tomorrow but the game crashes to white screen during the first level. At completely random points. First time I got to play 5 minutes and second time 30 minutes. Looking at web it seems to be pretty common problem. You can't even save during tutorial so this sucks. Gotta love PC gaming. I guess I have to wait for some kind of patch or new AMD drivers....

TheTux

Bought the game without even having that much money (absolutely loved first Nier) and planned to play for whole evening as I have freeday tomorrow but the game crashes to white screen during the first level. At completely random points. First time I got to play 5 minutes and second time 30 minutes. Looking at web it seems to be pretty common problem. You can't even save during tutorial so this sucks. Gotta love PC gaming. I guess I have to wait for some kind of patch or new AMD drivers....

Revert to old AMD drivers.

Exentryk

I tried Steam's built-in DS4 support for the first time. Anyone else have problems with buttons seemingly being double-pressed? As in, you hit a button and it acts as if you hit it twice? For now, I'm going back to InputMapper which doesn't have this problem.

One input is coming from Steam, and another from windows default drivers. You either have to uninstall the default drivers on your pc, or untick the controllers under Big Picture Mode Settings.

Momentary

Banned
I have this game on an NVMe SSD and it really didn't do anything. I had it on a SATA SSD before, so I don't think performance would have really improved.

Issues for me:

Hitching every 15-30 seconds while running around.
Cut scenes are janky.
AO seems like it could really use some work
Pop in is very prevalent when using AO and AA
Button prompts go crazy when switching from pad to keyboard and back to pad.

And it's still not even close to the crap I've received from Koei Tecmo.

didamangi

I have this game on an NVMe SSD and it really didn't do anything. I had it on a SATA SSD before, so I don't think performance would have really improved.

Issues for me:

Cut scenes are janky.

- Even on fullscreen mode with the fix?
- Yup.
- Waiting for somebody patient enough to find HBAO+ compatibility, too lazy testing it, game is too good. I wish they made post process AA and AO separate, since the AO is pretty bad all around and injecting SMAA is more taxing than the ingame post process AA for me.
- Yup.
- Had this on borderless, not on fullscreen. Or maybe it just hasn't happened yet on fullscreen.

Also the blurry/low res dof effect is pretty distracting as well in some places.

JustinBB7

Fuck this, spent 30 mins on a long ass main quest. Fish up a new pod afterwards. Wanted to stop there and go save. another fucking crash and I lost it all. Why? Why doesn't it autosave after stuff like that? With such a shit ass port. Jesus christ.

First I thought I was only getting the white screen crash in the
forest area
but now I was at the
water after beating the giant machine with rockets
and it happened again.

tuxfool

Banned

Issues for me:

Cut scenes are janky.

1. I don't get this at all and my game is installed on a HDD.
2. I get this, but it seems inconsistent, sometimes the cutscenes actually work properly after a few seconds.
3. yup.
4. yup, but I'm not that bothered by it.
5. I had this for a while, and then it went away.

I also had some crashes when I first started playing the game, but after one or two restarts, never again, the game was super stable. The disparities I'm noticing point to there not being any easy or clear explanations to these problems.

Durante

Since we talked about stutter on the previous page, I just looked for it specifically. Even when traversing the main city area, mounted, at maximum speed, I think I dropped at most a frame or two going from one end of it to the other. And that's the most stutter-prone gameplay area. It actually seems even better now than it was before. (Might also be related to the layout changes of the area of course (story related).

I do have to say that even a 1080 is not sufficient to run a locked 60 FPS in that area at 1440p with any MSAA -- which isn't really too bad, since you can't have MSAA and smoother LOD transitions at the same time for now anyway.

Also, I still haven't had a single crash, or any kind of bug really, 25 hours in now.

Ascheroth

Yeah, I'm really curious where those crashes and white screen freezes and what else are coming from.
Haven't had a single crash, freeze or bug in 30 hours.

Edit: On an R9 290 with the latest drivers.

Paragon

One input is coming from Steam, and another from windows default drivers. You either have to uninstall the default drivers on your pc, or untick the controllers under Big Picture Mode Settings.
The default drivers won't do that but InputMapper's might if they were not uninstalled first.

GReeeeN

So I've installed SweetFX and turned on vibrance and clarity setting and it seems to have made my fps very unstable. Before it would be pretty much locked to 60fps with an aopccasional dip to 58fps (1440p windowed 4x AA) with FAR mod installed.

Now I'm getting drops into the 40s with SweetFX. I turned off AA all together in game, and still seem to be getting drops to around 52fps.

I thought SweetFX doesnt have a direct impact on performance?. I'm running both the FAR and SweetFX mod if that makes any difference

Exentryk

Yeah, haven't had a single crash or bug in my 20+ hours so far. Game is running great, apart from some very minor streaming related stutters on SSD.

The default drivers won't do that but InputMapper's might if they were not uninstalled first.

Yeah, that's probably it.

Top Bottom