• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigel Farage is 'person of interest' in FBI investigation into Trump and Russia

SpaceWolf

Banned
Kremlin-backed broadcaster RT offers Nigel Farage his own show

Nigel Farage's relationship with Russian media comes under scrutiny

Nigel Farage Got Knighted By A Child Dressed As The Queen On Russia Today

Nigel Farage Just Visited The Ecuadorian Embassy In London

Ukip under fire after blocking scrutiny of party donations

Leaked emails reveal Nigel Farage's long-standing links to Julian Assange

Nigel Farage brands EU 'MORE DANGEROUS' than Russia and says – the Cold War is BACK

Farage and Le Pen unite on Russia report

Russia accused of clandestine funding of European parties as US conducts major review of Vladimir Putin's strategy

Nigel Farage: "It Was a Private Meeting with Assange"

hqdefault.jpg

"Fake news! Liberal propaganda!"

Saya

ZEIT ONLINE: You once said you admire Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Farage: In 2013, as a political operator, he was the best in the world. Yes, this is what I said. But I wouldn’t like to live in his country. I didn’t like a lot of things he did. But as a political operator, he is to be admired.

ZEIT ONLINE: One of Russia's foreign policy goals is dividing and weakening the EU. Could it be that in the case of Brexit, you were directly or indirectly used for this Russian goal?

Farage: It is obvious that the EU wants to expand to the east and threatens Russia. That’s completely mad.

ZEIT ONLINE: What you say isn't true. It wasn't the EU that triggered the revolution in Ukraine, but the Ukrainians who wanted better relations with the EU.

Farage: I want the EU to be destroyed and it doesn’t matter if God or the Dalai Lama wants it was well. The EU is an anti-democratic, failing structure. You know, you are the first person who has asked me if Russia supported me. Maybe you have a special German mindset. No other journalist in the world has asked these questions.

ZEIT ONLINE: I just want to understand your role.

Farage: We have no links to Russia.

ZEIT ONLINE: You didn't meet with the Russian Embassy's deputy chief-of-mission in London?

Farage: Nope.

ZEIT ONLINE: Not in 2013, before the Brexit campaign was conceived?

Farage: Ah, hang on. He came to the EP office. Or I met with him in London. So what?

ZEIT ONLINE: Why did you meet with him?

Farage: I think you are a nutcase! You are really a nutcase! Brexit is the best thing to happen: for Russia, for America, for Germany and for democracy. And that's the key point.

Farage's press spokesman again interrupts the interview. He says that the interview should focus more on trade relations between Germany and the UK. Farage nods.

From this interview.

SpaceWolf

Banned
"Nothing is going to happen" says person posting in a thread about things happening

By "lead to anything", I obviously meant concrete legal action that will actively bring these people to task in an official capacity as a result of this investigation (such as in getting jail-time, losing their positions of power), not in regards to the investigation progressing in and of itself.

You're also twisting my words. I never said that "nothing is going to happen", only that I'm worried that might be the case.

Beartruck

It may not be how he intended to do it, but I think Trump really will "drain the swamp". He's exposed some of the worst people in western society and neatly tied all of them together for law enforcement to go in and clear out, himself included

SpaceWolf

Banned
It may not be how he intended to do it, but I think Trump really will "drain the swamp". He's exposed some of the worst people in western society and neatly tied all of them together for law enforcement to go in and clear out, himself included

This would be glorious.

Lowmelody

Haha, this is hilarious. This Russia investigation is allowing everyone to see the true colors of democrats, they aren't hiding any of their motivation. They are desperately trying to include every influential Conservative in some fashion. What a joke this whole thing is. How long before they try to include Sheriff Arpaio or Rush Limbaugh?

Nigel Farage bought russian dressing at the store, it must mean he's connected somehow!

You're almost there. It's that "every influential Conservative" the world over is actually an irredeemable sack of traitorous racist shit bubbling in the same sewer so none of what is happening should be too surprising.

Trump is The Boss confirmed?

Punished Trump. The memes are coming true.

KoopaTheCasual

Haha, this is hilarious. This Russia investigation is allowing everyone to see the true colors of democrats, they aren't hiding any of their motivation. They are desperately trying to include every influential Conservative in some fashion. What a joke this whole thing is. How long before they try to include Sheriff Arpaio or Rush Limbaugh?

Nigel Farage bought russian dressing at the store, it must mean he's connected somehow!
FBI = Democrats ?

You've cracked the case!

I suspect the majority of people in the FBI that hate President Trump are the Obama era appointees. This was probably a test to see who gets fired next.
Lol, this idiot doesn't understand how getting a job at the FBI works.

Perfect. See guys, this is how you do satire.

Congratz. In a year with Trump as president you've managed to post the dumbest thing I've read on GAF all year.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/alumni/uvalawyer/f02/mueller.htm

Bob Mueller's public service pedigree goes back to 1970 and the jungles of Vietnam. Born in New York City and raised near Philadelphia, he graduated from Princeton, enlisted in the Marine Corps, and shipped into combat as a platoon leader, the most perilous posting in the war. It was a time when the firefight was at its fiercest, both in Vietnam and in the streets of this country. But to Mueller, there was no controversy. It was a matter of duty. "I have been very lucky. I always felt I should spend some time paying it back. One of the reasons I went into the Marine Corps was because we lost a very good friend, a Marine in Vietnam, who was a year ahead of me at Princeton. There were a number of us who felt we should follow his example and at least go into the service. And it flows from there."

After being wounded in combat and earning a Bronze Star, two Navy commendation medals, the Purple Heart, and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry, Mueller returned to civilian life. But like most veterans returning home, he found a society riven by distrust, anger, and suspicion, both toward the veterans and the political leadership. It's in this context that one must understand Bob Mueller's passion for public service. The country was deeply dispirited, its self-image terribly damaged, yet he was drawn inexorably toward serving it again. He applied to law school with the intention of going into the FBI as an agent.

At Virginia, Mueller found himself amongst a diverse group of students. At that time, one would expect that a seasoned Marine who had risked his life for his country, and who had faced national derision for his efforts, would be bitter. But Bob Mueller is nothing if not calm, unflappable. Thoroughly at peace with himself, he took none of it personally. And that allowed him to analyze people and issues for what they were, not what they appeared to be.

For example, deferment of conscientious objectors was a red meat issue for a typical Marine in 1970. Bob Mueller isn't typical. "They deserve a huge amount of credit for taking a principled stand. It was an interesting time and a good mix," he said. "I made some very good friends who were diametrically different in their positions than I was at that time in terms of the war. But we had mutual respect."

He worked at Pillsbury for three years, developing a keen interest in criminal law and criminal prosecution. He reapplied to the U.S. Attorney's office and became an assistant U.S. attorney for the District of Northern California in 1976, quickly rising through the ranks to become chief of its criminal division in 1981, and then in 1986 United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts in Boston. During that time, he investigated and prosecuted financial fraud cases, narcotics conspiracies, racketeering cases, terrorist cases, tax matters, and public corruption cases. According to Governor Weld of Massachusetts as reported in the New York Times, "He simply knew his stuff. And there was no swagger to him, no strut to this guy at all."

For Bob Mueller, public service is just that, service. It's not about recognition, or money, or power. It's about seeking justice for the families of victims and upholding our system of laws. "Doing homicides, the victim's family was always present in your mind. You're trying to find and bring justice to them. Working as an assistant U.S. attorney, I've seen how people think that they can get away with things and skirt the law. Bringing them to justice is tremendous satisfaction."

Perhaps the most revealing illustration of Bob Mueller's strength of character and love of public service is the fact that he relishes his role at the epicenter of the nation's war on terrorism. It's personally dangerous. He lives daily with the knowledge of looming threats that could cause public panic. He is responsible for the safety of millions of citizens. His success can never be trumpeted; it hinges on what doesn't happen. But his is not a politician's love of power, nor a general's lust for battle. Rather, it's the simple pleasure he gets from his job and the joy of giving back to the country that has treated him well.

"I love it. I like the challenge, and there is a lot to be done. We have the best investigators in the world in this institution and some of the best people here at headquarters that carry me. The challenge is to get them the tools that they need to become even better. And that is what we are working on. You have the rewards of being involved in the critically important investigations, whether it is the investigation of the hijackers or anthrax or the like. And with all the frustrations, there is always the next tip, the next opportunity to solve. That is the heart of the issue. That is the heart of what we do. And that is really fun. The joy of it is that you are doing it for the country, you are doing it for other FBI agents, you are doing it for the community, and you are doing it for the people. That is tremendously rewarding."

Finally, when asked what it takes to be good public servant, Mueller said, "Integrity. First is integrity. To the extent that you have it, humility. Discipline. Decisiveness. Doggedness."

vAzGdBx.jpg

m_dorian

I agree. It is pure covfefe

Bold One

Is it bad that my morbidity compels me to imagine a world where that incident ended differently?

It's hard to argue against the fact that he has highly influenced major political events at home and abroad since then.

It has also crossed my mind.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

You're not serious with this, right?

Is there a reason why you are straight parroting White House talking points?

Kyzer

Banned

Yeah, stupid FBI is probably including him in the investigation because of russian salad dressing or something dumb like that, hahahaha, typical liberal guys who get their info from mainstream media!

Oh wait its the fucking FBI and not people you disagree with about politics on the internet

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I remember when Sam Delaney had one of the few (also good)Videogame shows on TV with gamer.tv and gamer.tv next gen.
He's certainly went a different direction since those days.
You know, I've already seen that video countless times, but your post made me go HOLY CRAP, THAT SAM DELANEY!? I loved Gamer.tv, so how did I not make that connection up until that point?

Top Bottom