• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition - Announcement Trailer | PS4

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Wow very random, wasn't expecting this. It will be interesting to see how it holds up these day, I'm guessing they have cleaned up all the video footage / remastered for 1080p so it doesn't look like total ass on modern TV's.

Have they remastered the video in HD, or just cleaned it up a bit? Quality still looks kinda crummy. I assume it wasn't show on celluloid film, so it may be stuck at SD resolution forvever.

Do they have access to the source video? I mean, VCD quality bitrates really turn my nostalgia crank, but I'm hoping they've re-encoded the video to look better on our HD sets

Oh wow this would be the dream scenario if true. Still a turd, but can't wait to relive the schlock in HD
Yeah, it should be noted that they didn't go back to the original film negatives for this game (whether because they got lost or they didn't have the funds for a proper telecine, I don't know), as your one who posted his podcast from earlier indicated what I suspected upon viewing the remastered footage that the picture is sourced from the near 30 year old master tapes that were intended to be used for the manufacturing of the production tapes for the NEMO console. 720 x 486 was the maximum rez provided, which is a damn shame, especially given that Don Burgess of Forrest Gump and Spiderman fame did the cinematography.

Remk

See, I want to be negative about this, mainly because the original game sucked and yes I played it back then. On the first Sega CD model with the slide tray and after a few hours of writing locations and times down it was all done in an afternoon.

Yet this is something that should be preserved, as one of the first attempts to try to incorporate FMV with game mechanics or how Nintendo used it to throw Sega under the bus on the Senate hearings on video game violence.

So I'm ready to throw a couple of bucks into it, but there is nothing on gameplay there to go back to.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
given how popular five nights at freddy's is, i could imagine this having some traction

now re-release voyeur, the superior mildly sexy security camera real time fmv garbage game from the early 90s

Cranster

Banned
Why this and we still don't have a remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy?

jackie-chan-300x200.png

Has Zito chimmed in yet? Or any revelations about who the development team are? How they aquired the source material, etc?

On the TOH podcast, they interview the developer, Tyler Hogle.

He did the Double Switch port for mobile and then did a mobile port of Night Trap in his spare time. It was just a proof of concept demo and he put up a video of him playing it on YouTube. He then goes on to say that this demo showed the rights holders that a game was possible and they gave the green light. It was basically just a one man development job.

He only had the edited video masters and not the original prints. Dialogue and SFX were panned to one channel and music on the other. That allowed him to extract the theme song. He also says that he had to compress the video in order to have all the simultaneous streaming work so it's not perfect quality.

No source code was available so he had to recreate the engine. The real problem was figuring out what triggers a game over. He and a tester were playing it over and over and had to kind of guess how it worked because it was too random at times.

Yeah, it should be noted that they didn't go back to the original film negatives for this game (whether because they got lost or they didn't have the funds for a proper telecine, I don't know), as your one who posted his podcast from earlier indicated what I suspected upon viewing the remastered footage that the picture is sourced from the near 30 year old master tapes that were intended to be used for the manufacturing of the production tapes for the NEMO console. 720 x 486 was the maximum rez provided, which is a damn shame, especially given that Don Burgess of Forrest Gump and Spiderman fame did the cinematography.

Ah, that is such a shame that they didn't have the original film negatives! Honestly I was wondering why the footage looked VHS quality, especially when it was pretty clear that they filmed it on 35mm filmstock or whatever. A VHS rip is better than nothing.

I would like to see a film transfer of Sewer Shark.

It was directed by John Dykstra, who worked as a special effects person on Star Wars: ANH, The original Battlestar Galactica TV show, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, Inglourious Basterds, Godzilla and even the most recent Ghost in the Shell.

Sewer Shark is the only thing he has ever directed. Sure it was cheesy, but the game used miniature models and practical special effects like puppets and such. All of the sewer tunnels were done with miniature models. Some of the scenes with rats were done with rod puppets.There was a robotic sidekick who was a puppet as well. Sewer Shark is a pretty cool display of practical effects made by '80's Hollywood professionals. It didn't use CG at all.

Bowl0l

No source code was available so he had to recreate the engine. The real problem was figuring out what triggers a game over. He and a tester were playing it over and over and had to kind of guess how it worked because it was too random at times.
Now that doesn't sound good. Hopefully he got it right.

Put some penises in it, to annoy the censors, and hopefully generate some sort of controversy.

It isn't the full Night Trap experience without Congressional hearings.

Someone should stage a mock Congressional hearing of it and put it on YouTube.

Then get it on real TV with the current cabinet calling it fake news

Has Zito chimmed in yet? Or any revelations about who the development team are? How they aquired the source material, etc?

All answered in my podcast interview with the dev https://tiredoldhack.com/2017/04/25...ight-trap-25th-anniversary-edition-interview/

Also, for those curious about the developer's ability, I made this video about a year ago showing the mobile Night Trap prototype he made (the one that encouraged Zito to give him the rights):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmOgFajmUZA

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Ah, that is such a shame that they didn't have the original film negatives! Honestly I was wondering why the footage looked VHS quality, especially when it was pretty clear that they filmed it on 35mm filmstock or whatever. A VHS rip is better than nothing.

I would like to see a film transfer of Sewer Shark.

It was directed by John Dykstra, who worked as a special effects person on Star Wars: ANH, The original Battlestar Galactica TV show, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, Inglourious Basterds, Godzilla and even the most recent Ghost in the Shell.

Sewer Shark is the only thing he has ever directed. Sure it was cheesy, but the game used miniature models and practical special effects like puppets and such. All of the sewer tunnels were done with miniature models. Some of the scenes with rats were done with rod puppets.There was a robotic sidekick who was a puppet as well. Sewer Shark is a pretty cool display of practical effects made by '80's Hollywood professionals. It didn't use CG at all.
Oh yeah, his work is immaculate. Hell, his efforts on Doc Ock's tentacle puppets in Spiderman 2 helped win him that effects Oscar. Someone should get in contact with him and see if he could lend a hand in Sewer Shark, maybe help in locating the original negatives and whatnot if we're gonna see someone go through with a remaster.

Also, his daughter's awesome.

220px-Chloe_Dykstra_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Conezays

Do we have any idea when the physical release is coming yet? Sorry if it's already been posted but I couldn't find. I guess just "Spring 2017" for now?

Does anyone have any information about this release? Was it canceled? It was suppose to come out Spring 2017. And even Limited Run hasn't said anything about it.. (that I know of)

Anyone?

Top Bottom