• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIGHTS: Journey of Dreams E3 Trailer & Gameplay Footage

Aeris130

Gameplay seems to be as quick as ever, but hampered due to the player using very few (and short) boosts. Larger environments combined with a zoomed-out view makes it look slower then it really is/was.

And that swooshing sound needs less "swoosh", and more "whistles".

I have to agree with those who thought it didn't look that fun in the trailer. And the visuals also leave a lot tobe desired. Nice art though.

GameGamer

Trip Warhawkins said:
nightsremote.gif

The moment I saw that I knew a gif was on the way.

So far the game looks like a rental to me.

CaVaYeRo

CaVaYeRo said:
did anyone uploaded the gameplay trailer?

I'll do if not...

EDIT: and yes, analog control will be available

(uploading)

nah, it doesn't allow me to upload. Not the mp4, neither the mpg.

Someone to do it?

ZealousD said:
Okay guys, it looks like it's time for me to turn this thread to shit.

For any old NiGHTS fans here that thinks the game looks similar, watch the original back to back with the new footage.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0danX6sjcsg

BACK TO BACK

Notice something?

1.) The game is slower
2.) The rings are spaced farther apart.
3.) The rings are arranged in straight lines, with few turns and loops.
4.) The rings are fewer.
5.) The game is bigger. This wouldn't be a problem if the three preceeding facts weren't true.

Clear the tears out of your eyes and take off the rose-colored glasses and do a real comparison. Sonic Team has screwed up yet again.

The main control scheme is the Wiimote, you have to keep that in mind. It would be a problem if the sequel was just like the original in level design.

Relax people. The game looks good.

Seraph830

Banned
Are there two different trailers? Or is the "Trailer" and "Gameplay Footage" the same thing?

Both of the OP's links go nowhere for me.

Rlan

The "spaced apart" thing is a bit true - but you surely see that the guy playing JID is horrible at it?

Wait until someone plays it who knows how to play Nights..

Jirotrom

Seraph830 said:
Are there two different trailers? Or is the "Trailer" and "Gameplay Footage" the same thing?

Both of the OP's links go nowhere for me.
seriously...real links please.

Found the youtube vid...I really liked the trailer. It had a very Disney feel to it especially because its the same announcer for Disney trailers.

I just saw the gameplay video, I really hope that is an early build of a level cause it doesn't look completed at all. The gameplay is classic Nights, that is great to see but that level looked empty, nothing like the original Nights. The boss fight was fantastic though.

Seraph830

Banned
Finally saw the gameplay video.

Looks pretty fun, although it was kinda gross to watch it without any music :(. Nothing Winamp and my Dreams Dreams Dance Mix couldnt fix.

meppi

Wow, just got home to this nice surprise.

The first time I saw the gameplay footage (without reading any of the feedback) I also thought the game looked kind of slow.
A bit boring actually. The rings are indeed placed a bit randomly, as are the blue orbs.
But those are things that need to be straightened out by lots of play testing.

On the other hand, I decided to watch it again but this time with the Spring Valley theme playing in Winamp.
And wow, it really does make a big difference. Not that it looks perfect, far from it at this point.
At first the sound effects seemed just wrong, but with the soundtrack playing, everything just fits together.

The speed also doesn't seem to be a problem. And you might notice that the one playing doesn't use the boost very much, and when he does it's in very short bursts.
What did seem to slow everything down was when NiGHTS was swirling around that bird (a nightmaren???). That part was way too slow.

Besides the stages feeling very empty at this point and the various link pads not being worked out like they should be in the end product, this is looking very, very good.
And I'm a huge NiGHTS fan. Seeing as it's my favourite game ever. (Yeah, laugh if you will :p)

What did annoy me was the boss fight. The camera shouldn't be put in that position.
It just seems so weird when holding on to the boss and swirling around him.
They should just treat it like Puffy's stage, but turned on it's side.
Swirling the camera behind NiGHTS to aim the boss isn't the problem, but it should be done more gradually and not twitch so much.

But so far everything is looking much better than how I was fearing this could turn out.

Looking forward to seeing a more complete version!

The trailer was okay but I can see why people find it nausiating/unintentionally amusing. It's good to see NiGHTs again but oy. It doesnt need a Disneyesque introduction.

The gameplay video looks nice, but I REALLY hope thats just an early build they are showing off. I mean if looks okay but the backgrounds a touch sparce and some things dont seem quite in place

MAZYORA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uW8Ulku0u2k

here is the footage with nights into dreams splash garden music. It's alot better with the music! I for one really love the art direction. I love how the fish swim in the air and there are the water holes that squirt water like a dolphin. I also really love how palm trees grow on top of palm trees, really weird cool stuff. This game is looking really promising. Anyone who says this looks like a dreamcast game hasn't watched the trailer. The level is huge, much bigger than anything DC could do.

Tristam

sp0rsk said:
What the **** was that trailer.

IN A WORLD WHERE DREAMS COME ALIVE

We need an anigif of the sparkly wiimote.

I see where people are saying rings are too far apart, I agree.

It doesn't seem slower than the original though.

One thing that DOES have me worried is all the weird camera angles.

Are you referring to the "behind the back" sequence in the gameplay trailer? Into Dreams had a couple of those.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
The game looks as fantastic (and simple) as Saturn's Night. i can't wait to get a copy myself. It's going to be a hell of a charm. I know it just seeing the videos. It's magic., like Nights was. I can't wait Sega.

sphinx

the piano man
Has everyone noticed the similarities between this and Mario Galaxy's boss fights? The later part of the NiGHTS gameplay footage (a boss fight, right? ) showed some nice long distance, far away perspective making the place look gigantic, the kind of impressive proportions Mario Galaxy has been showing in its trailers.

I think that Wii's " nextgeness " in regards to visuals will be confirmed with this kind of game presentations. Graphics will remain SD but bigger more impressive worlds will slowly begin to appear, more and more, depending on the dev. team's effort.

I, for one, am pleased with what I saw. It's not jaw dropping but I see effort and also in the last few months I have learned that NiGTHS is an IP with great style and charm; the selection of dark pink + purple colors, the sparkles, the art direction. It all fits nicely. I like it.

Ogni-XR21

Speed doesn't seem that much different, rings seem to be a bit further apart, but hard to tell from what you see in the footage, and doing a loop around that enemy seems to take forever... I do like the shockwave a loop creates.

Still looking forward to this game, I wonder if you have to play in that 45° behind the back angle or if there is a real side camera.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Looks good to me, especially for being in a relatively early stage. Needs enemies ofcourse :) It looks like NiGHTS, and that alone puts a smile on this old ****ers face.

sphinx said:
Has everyone noticed the similarities between this and Mario Galaxy's boss fights? The later part of the NiGHTS gameplay footage (a boss fight, right? ) showed some nice long distance, far away perspective making the place look gigantic, the kind of impressive proportions Mario Galaxy has been showing in its trailers.

I think that Wii's " nextgeness " in regards to visuals will be confirmed with this kind of game presentations. Graphics will remain SD but bigger more impressive worlds will slowly begin to appear, more and more, depending on the dev. team's effort.

I, for one, am pleased with what I saw. It's not jaw dropping but I see effort and also in the last few months I have learned that NiGTHS is an IP with great style and charm; the selection of dark pink + purple colors, the sparkles, the art direction. It all fits nicely. I like it.

Good remark. I think that depends from the extra GDDR3 RAM. What about the Super Mario Galaxy, the only thing I disagree is that it is relative easy to make a game with wide spaces, when the textures are mediocres.
In contrast, Galaxy is really impressive even because it presents great distances AND awesome art design with a more then solid graphics engine.

The short version is that the Sonic Team has still a lot to work, if they wanna make a great game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In contrast, Galaxy is really impressive even because it presents great distances AND awesome art design with a more then solid graphics engine.
I'd say the focus on individual planets really aids them in the creation of its visuals, however. The large game world is more simplistic with lots of empty space between planets and such.

sphinx

the piano man
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Good remark. I think that depends from the extra GDDR3 RAM. What about the Super Mario Galaxy, the only thing I disagree is that it is relative easy to make a game with wide spaces, when the textures are mediocres.

The short version is that the Sonic Team has still a lot to work, if they wanna make a great game.

I can't blame sega for not pouring in the millions like nintendo does with Mario Games. In mario games, the investment is sure to pay off sooner or later, no matter if your game is called Mario sunshine or New Super Mario Bros. Nights in 2007 after a long gone,rather unpopular saturn game is some kind of experiment.

Now, in all fairness, Mario Galaxys graphic's engine doesn't look much different from Mario Sunshine. What makes the difference is the wide space and the huge bosses.

dark10x said:
I'd say the focus on individual planets really aids them in the creation of its visuals, however. The large game world is more simplistic with lots of empty space between planets and such.

This is true. Galaxy uses a little trick that not enough games use: the space, with his pulsar, galaxies, novas, black holes, can be incredibly wonderful, but at the same time, it requires a lot less power then a FPS (that runs at 60 fps usually) or a racer game.

But I remember from last year a lot of ground levels that looks impressive as well. And here there aren't tricks. Galaxy is really impressive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This is true. Galaxy uses a little trick that not enough games use: the space, with his pulsar, galaxies, novas, black holes, can be incredibly wonderful, but at the same time, it requires a lot less power then a FPS (that runs at 60 fps usually) or a racer game.

But I remember from last year a lot of ground levels that looks impressive as well. And here there aren't tricks. Galaxy is really impressive.
Everything seems to be spherical, however. Were there actually large, fully open areas present that didn't rely on bitmap backgrounds? The worlds seemed to be wrapped in a giant skybox with various pieces scattered throughout.

glistenm

Banned
I was on the nintendo suck a dick train whe this game came out on the saturn so I never played it.

This looks pretty boring, where's the magic I'm not seeing from Nights?

Tristam

dark10x said:
Everything seems to be spherical, however. Were there actually large, fully open areas present that didn't rely on bitmap backgrounds? The worlds seemed to be wrapped in a giant skybox with various pieces scattered throughout.

The very first world in the E3 demo was a large, fully open area.

thefro

After some thought, the "gameplay" has to be just an engine demo, because there's not even a HUD to show you how you're scoring, which is the main draw of NiGHTS.

I don't think we have to worry about anything on that front.

Since they've already announced some online features, I'd hope there would be high score boards for each level.

GDGF

Soothsayer
glistenm said:
I was on the nintendo suck a dick train whe this game came out on the saturn so I never played it.

This must be some kind of Dutch Nintendo train that i've never heard of.

Hyjinx

I am so down with this game. I loved the original on the Saturn and a few months ago I actually picked up 3 pristine sealed copies of the original for 3 bucks each. I ran to ebay in search of a Saturn.

No6

thefro said:
After some thought, the "gameplay" has to be just an engine demo, because there's not even a HUD to show you how you're scoring, which is the main draw of NiGHTS.

I don't think we have to worry about anything on that front.
The main draw of Sonic games is going fast, yet Sega manages to forget that over and over again. I'm hoping this is a 2008 title.

Haunted

dark10x said:
That's exactly what he was saying. (he calls it a clever little trick, while you make the same thing sound a bit negative ;) )

In any case, adding the landmass of the different spheres together you get something that is easily as big as a regular Mario platforming level. (plus the added 'space' of space) :p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
really need to fix the frame rate, also the flat lightning makes it look really dull and bland.

temjin

Banned
Error said:
really need to fix the frame rate, also the flat lightning makes it look really dull and bland.
I don't know, I've watched it a few times and the speed seems okay. I think the world looks amazing and dreamlike.

I am really adoring the direction they've taken this, the boss battle looks a lot darker than the ones from NID which is great, gives a better interpretation of a nightmare.

Great stuff.

Nakasan

No-ones mentioned how the entire gameplay vid (bar boss section) is taking place underwater. Just look to the top of the level, you can faintly see the glimmer of the surface of the water.

Odd, no?

I also full heartedly agree with whom-ever said it was just an engine demo. I beleive that to be the case.

I showed the trailer to my girlfriend, and without any promting asked me, "is it called Disney's NiGHTS?". I say, play a similar trailer at Xmas time on Nickelodeon, and the kids will be scrambling for it. I can only hope!

Friggin' NiGHTS baby. Friggin NiGHTS.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Shane on 1upyours actually was pretty positive about it- said it looked pretty good in motion.

Top Bottom