• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIGHTS: Journey of Dreams E3 Trailer & Gameplay Footage

Wasn't all that impressed with what I saw, but I never really have been. I've never played the original game as I only rented a Sega Saturn back in the day to play stuff like the Panzer Dragoon games and some Capcom fighters. The only time I've ever seen the game in motion was on youtube a few months back. NiGHTs had long since been lionized as this great and unappreciated gem of a game on the internets for ages, and what I saw didn't exactly inspire any enthusiasm.

Still when this game was first announced I thought I'll give this a shot if it's half-decent, just to see what all the fuss is about. The pics didn't do anything for me, nor has this video. My apathy is probably due to the fact that the makers of Shadow the Hedgehog are behind this, and the fact I wasn't too impressed with the two Wii offerings Sega has put out so far--Super Monkey Ball and Sonic.

About the only hope I have for this new NiGHTs is that it means Sega will resurrect other dormant franchises for the Wii because it's selling like gang busters and because of the blatant way some could be used on the wiimote, while others are just vain dreams.

Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, Vectorman (2.5D), Fighting Vipers, Daytona, Chakan, a REAL Shining Force (none of this arpg bullhuckey), a REAL Phantasy Star (no more MMO's plzkthnx), Space Harrier, etc, etc.

Well at the very least it made Segata's day.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yyyyeah, let's hope this is real early, because that stage doesn't even look linkable. and i don't think anyone knows what's going on with that boss fight. yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH! yahhh....YAH!

the visuals, however, are stylistically nightsy, and don't seem as technically disgraceful as they did in the blown-up screenshots

lordmrw

BSTF said:
Looks incomplete, doesn't look like Sega cares too much about the actual game.

The Puffy fight looked unoriginal and stupid.

No shit it looks incomplete, the ****ing game isn't done yet. Jesus christ, the way some of you are replying you'd think all the games that are gonna be shown are 100 percent complete.

Streaks said:
...okay one of u guys needs to grab the gameplay footage and add some classic Nights music to it and add Puffy's music for hte boss...im sure just a little music will add a lot to it. Id do it but I dont know how :)

I did it in Microsoft Movie Maker (total garbage, I hate this piece of crap), but youtube wont let me upload right now, it is much much better with music.

joesmokey

"With just the wave of your hand" :lol :lol

Seriously that trailer was awful from a production standpoint. It'd be interesting seeing a longer part of a segment instead of so many short clips to get a better idea of the controls.

Oh well, looks pretty much what I expected it to look like from the screenshots.

lordmrw said:
No shit it looks incomplete, the ****ing game isn't done yet. Jesus christ, the way some of you are replying you'd think all the games that are gonna be shown are 100 percent complete.

theincrediblecondo28lw.jpg

condoleezza SMASH!

Krowley

bigmakstudios said:
I'm pretty sure NiGHTS is going to be playable, so we'll hear new (or not new?) music then.

Could be playable, but it's possible that they haven't added music to the game yet. If they have, it seems odd that they would allow the release of this video without the music.

lordmrw said:
Is it wrong to expect a fraction of the game to be at or close to 100 percent complete? You know, like when a company shows a demo or a gameplay movie? Hell, they had three different stages, I'd expect at least one of them to be not boring.

Streaks said:
...okay one of u guys needs to grab the gameplay footage and add some classic Nights music to it and add Puffy's music for hte boss...im sure just a little music will add a lot to it. Id do it but I dont know how :)

quoting a second time, but here on putfile: http://media.putfile.com/nights-with-music

excuse the terrible quality, music not fitting with second half, then the music running longer than the video.

Ranger X said:
that's what i get...

NightsTrailerWhere.png

Weird, I have the same thing. I only checked for the trailer the first time, witch worked fine, but i also get nothing for the gameplay footage. :\

edit: classic :lol

Shaneus

It's exactly like the Saturn version. Which is why, just like I did with the Saturn, I will buy a console just for this game.

It had better be damn good though *shakes fist*

I'm pretty unimpressed by this game. I still don't understand what it is, will it allow me to fly ANYWHERE I want? and if I can, is it all just bare, low-poly, uninteresting levels with a few flying fish and rings to fly through? I know it isn't finished, but one glance at Mario Galaxy or Dewey's Adventure prooves how disgusting and un-fun it looks.

Sega sucks, I expect this game to fail on all fronts.

Sorry fans.

ant1532

Banned
:lol

They had to be joking. That was freaking hilarious.

Game does look hella tight though.Hopefully it comes somewhere close as good as the original.

:lol :lol @ T-Surprise

The game has potential. I'll reserve judgment for now.

I love GAF during E3. And by the way, this game will kick ass if they give you as much freedom as is likely with the Wiimote.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Why does everyone act like the trannysurprise meme is new? :lol

At least this one is GAF authentic (i think... Whiteman are you reading?)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ranger X said:
I couldn't resist making this classic joke, that was my first chance ever. Sorry guys :lol

ROFL.

You made no joke, sir.

YOU WERE LOOKING AT TRANNIES.

PM the link plz.

PC Gaijin

Jeez...typical GAF reactions. Cheesy trailer aside (and NiGHTS has always been cheesy), the "gameplay" video is rather odd. While watching it I got the impression it was more like an engine demo, not anything close to what the complete game would be. And the lack of music hurt quite a bit since the soundtrack was a big part of the game's appeal.

The sparseness of some of what was shown doesn't bother me much as that will encourage good boosting technique to maintain link chains. The levels shown look lifeless though, which is why I thought it was more of an engine demo than representative of a near-complete game as some of you seem to think it is. No enemies, Nightopians, etc. Also no link counter shown.

Streaks

PC Gaijin said:
Jeez...typical GAF reactions. Cheesy trailer aside (and NiGHTS has always been cheesy), the "gameplay" video is rather odd. While watching it I got the impression it was more like an engine demo, not anything close to what the complete game would be. And the lack of music hurt quite a bit since the soundtrack was a big part of the game's appeal.

The sparseness of some of what was shown doesn't bother me much as that will encourage good boosting technique to maintain link chains. The levels shown look lifeless though, which is why I thought it was more of an engine demo than representative of a near-complete game as some of you seem to think it is. No enemies, Nightopians, etc. Also no link counter shown.

It bothers me a bit that a lot of ppl dont see that and that it even needs to be said. The game is far from done and it seems A LOT is being left out. Expect whatever we had on the Saturn to be at least multiplied by 2. The only thing I dont think they'll be able to top from the Saturn version is the music...no way do they do better.

Streaks said:
It bothers me a bit that a lot of ppl dont see that and that it even needs to be said. The game is far from done and it seems A LOT is being left out. Expect whatever we had on the Saturn to be at least multiplied by 2. The only thing I dont think they'll be able to top from the Saturn version is the music...no way do they do better.
The same person who did the music for the first game is doing the music for this one too. That's a good start at least.

Krowley

PC Gaijin said:

I was fairly impressed with the video, but I see what you mean.

Since the game is supposed to come out this year, you would expect it to be closer to completion. Maybe sega will delay this until next year. That would give me a lot of confidence in the title.

Ranger X

Streaks said:
Expect whatever we had on the Saturn to be at least multiplied by 2.

Why?
This game can be great and it can also be the next John Dow sequel too. Haven't you seen the horrible Sega track record since YEARS? People really want to believe in this game let me tell you. I'm prepared for their disapointmenton.

Top Bottom