• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIGHTS: Journey of Dreams E3 Trailer & Gameplay Footage

binary

As a longtime NiGHTS fan I thought it looked decent. I didn't really understand what was up with that bird. Is that really necessary? And also I was hoping to see some combo action in the gameplay trailer but there wasn't much to be found. Some parts looked like they couldn't even be linked which has me concerned cause that is what the original is all about.

Flakster99

Was a fan of the original, I wasn't a super fan, but the game was quite the unique experience for it's time.

I think the trailer fits the mood of the game quite nicely. Gameplay footage reflects the game's incompleteness, obviously, but what was showed, for me, looked very promising.

Okay guys. First off, the rest of E3 doesn't matter to me now. I got what I wanted.

My favourite part... it's cliche to say everything but really, it's everything. It all looks like NiGHTS, it looks like it's moving like NiGHTS, paralooping seems intact. The boss is just a Puffy knock-off and it all seems a bit early on for a game that's going to be released in Fall of this year, but...

I'm in love. Ten years. Finally.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay guys. First off, the rest of E3 doesn't matter to me now. I got what I wanted.

My favourite part... it's cliche to say everything but really, it's everything. It all looks like NiGHTS, it looks like it's moving like NiGHTS, paralooping seems intact. The boss is just a Puffy knock-off and it all seems a bit early on for a game that's going to be released in Fall of this year, but...

I'm in love. Ten years. Finally.

I'm genuinely happy for you :D

watching it again, I think NiGHTS and the clown-ball look nice graphically, the actual stages dont look that great. I like the way the camera is now also, atleast in the clown-ball stage (I dont remember what it was called) and the normal side scrolling like segments, the segment where you are moving NiGHTS from a rear view flying towards the screen look really clunky and bad (it looked good in the Saturn, but I expect it should look more fluid on the Wii).

Still, im excited for this game, NiGHTS was not only of the 3D Saturn games to still be playable, but it is one of the only games that gives you the sense of freedom when you fly in the sky.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I THINK WE CAN LET THEM COAST FOR ONE SEQUEL

I am cool with whatever choice they decide to make, but after 11 years, the sequel is starting to look like a port, but I support Sega in giving fans what they want. Now if Sega announces Shenmue 3 before 2012, I would support them even more.

SCReuter

At least the visuals are clean and smooth, and the game definitely looks like NiGHTS.

(That splash sound effect needs to go, though.)

Apparently the devs decided that the gameplay mechanics are what made Nights great, and not the tight level design that allowed the gameplay mechanics to shine. This is just... blah.

I also didn't see anything that looked like it would require the wiimote. The behind section appeared to be controlled by the pointer (based on how it moved), but the whole thing looked like it could be controlled by the analog stick.

SCReuter said:
At least the visuals are clean and smooth, and the game definitely looks like NiGHTS.

(That splash sound effect needs to go, though.)
Once they pipe the music in, the splash sound effect should get nicely drowned out.

angelfly

After seeing this trailer it makes me want it even more. Don't get what all the chatter over graphics is about. The game looks decent and best yet it plays like the original. I still enjoy the look of the Saturn version to this day.

angelfly said:
After seeing this trailer it makes me want it even more. Don't get what all the chatter over graphics is about. The game looks decent and best yet it plays like the original. I still enjoy the look of the Saturn version to this day.

Well thanks for admitting you think it looks like a Saturn game I guess.

I don't really get the hype though... the game looks terrible and the trailer was like shitty new Disney movie-esque with bad voice acting.

DarknessTear said:
Well thanks for admitting you think it looks like a Saturn game I guess.

I don't really get the hype though... the game looks terrible and the trailer was like shitty new Disney movie-esque with bad voice acting.
My guess is you never got it and you probably never will.

You people are too cynical. I never played Nights for Saturn, but the Disney style trailer fit the game perfectly and it'll sell the game better than probably any other trailer style. It's aiming for kids, and that's kind of what you have to do with this game. Doesn't mean adults can't play it, but if they want any sales, that was the best way to do it. I mean, it didn't have to be quite that cheesy, but it's not gonna hurt anything.

What really helps the gameplay trailer is to queue up some NiGHTS music from your private stash. Splash Garden is probably best, but Spring Valley works nice too.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Assholes didnt even show any music. Its what i wanted most out of the gameplay video

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay guys, it looks like it's time for me to turn this thread to shit.

For any old NiGHTS fans here that thinks the game looks similar, watch the original back to back with the new footage.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0danX6sjcsg

BACK TO BACK

Notice something?

1.) The game is slower
2.) The rings are spaced farther apart.
3.) The rings are arranged in straight lines, with few turns and loops.
4.) The rings are fewer.
5.) The game is bigger. This wouldn't be a problem if the three preceeding facts weren't true.

Clear the tears out of your eyes and take off the rose-colored glasses and do a real comparison. Sonic Team has screwed up yet again.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Wow.. that video brings to mind PC games from 1995. When 3d was first being used or something. And Im talking about the gameplay vid. Maybe its the animation..but it looked so damn primitive jerky, mundane and unimpressive. WTF is wrong with you SEGA? Damn you.

I'm glad I'm not the old one who noticed the speed + ring spacing, etc.

Bad news bears.

Also, this is Sonic Team USA. AKA: Shadow the Hedgehog.

Just saying.

annnnnnnnnnd that's my cue to leave the thread!

sonicr.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Teknopathetic said:
I'm glad I'm not the old one who noticed the speed + ring spacing, etc.

Bad news bears.

Also, this is Sonic Team USA. AKA: Shadow the Hedgehog.

Just saying.

The biggest problem I see is that the levels look very large vertically. It dramatically slows down the pace of the game. I dunno. It needs tuning. I really want it to be good.

It will depend on how it controls with the Wiimote (I'm not using the analog pad again, it won't have the same impact as it did in 1996) and the level design.

That trailer was hilarious and as one of the biggest skeptics of the game originally, I have to say it actually looks good. I hope that it turns out just as well as we all hope. But this thread will get ulgy(er), so this is my first and last post. Good luck with the bannings, etc.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Looks incomplete, doesn't look like Sega cares too much about the actual game.

The Puffy fight looked unoriginal and stupid.

rhino4evr

Was looking forward to this game, but that trailer and gameplay vid just made me lose interest. I hope Sega can turn this around.

KevinRo

rhino4evr said:
Was looking forward to this game, but that trailer and gameplay vid just made me lose interest. I hope Sega can turn this around.

Are you serious?

I never played NIGHTS for the Saturn but after watching that vid, I'm looking into buying it now(damn eBay) for both the Saturn and the Wii.

rhino4evr

KevinRo said:
Are you serious?

I never played NIGHTS for the Saturn but after watching that vid, I'm looking into buying it now(damn eBay) for both the Saturn and the Wii.

I don't know why, maybe it was the lack of music, but the gameplay looked so boring and slow. Ive played the original nights, and I don't think it moved that slowly. That was a long time ago though.

Segata Sanshiro said:
SEGATA IS DOWNLOADING

WHY WAS SEGATA SINGING KARAOKE INSTEAD OF BEING ON HIS GUARD
Segata Sanshiro said:
EVERYONE

EVERYONE

I JUST FILLED THE CUP
Segata Sanshiro said:
I THINK WE CAN LET THEM COAST FOR ONE SEQUEL
Segata Sanshiro said:
GUYS I'M GOING TO WATCH IT AGAIN

:lol :lol :lol

AniHawk said:
Your favorite system is a failure and so are you.

:lol

God I love you GAF.

RamzaIsCool said:
Nope, never have. But I have seen a couple of threads where people go bonanza over this game. So I am kinda intrested in what the game is about.
NiGHTS was/is a 2D score-attack game (the axis...es would occasionally shift) with brilliant, smooth controls. It's very quirky, but very good.

And part of me died during that trailer.

Is it just me, or did the gameplay video seem a little slow? NiGHTS played faster than that. (but then, maybe it's just the rather sparse level design)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh god the campy narrator

"what if you could REEEEALLY fly"

"with just a waaave of your hand" as a waggle wand pans across the screen, trailing sparkles and rainbows and unicorns

if i was still a sega fan i'd have to countenance this awful fruitiness

I have no problems with the trailer as it seems like it was made to be just like a movie trailer. I do hope though that the in game music is somewhat similar to the old music. I will admit, the original Nights music is so good, that it will be difficult to top. The graphics from what I saw looked very colorful. What will make or break this game is the feeling of flight and the fluid controls. Looks promising!

As I said in the other thread, the game definitely looks pretty decent in motion. I don't really know if it'll be fun though. The gameplay in the trailer looked kind of boring. And what's with the voice in the trailer?:lol

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The narration in that trailer is just ridiculous :lol He would have sounded less out of place narrating a tampon commercial.

The gameplay does look fun but quite a bit slower than the original. It should be good fun with the Wiimote.

Streaks

...okay one of u guys needs to grab the gameplay footage and add some classic Nights music to it and add Puffy's music for hte boss...im sure just a little music will add a lot to it. Id do it but I dont know how :)

Top Bottom