• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nights of Azure |OT| Star Crossed (Lesbian) Lovers

SarusGray

1ef60a3d3a.png

All credit for this OT goes to Parakeetman and Vazra.

GPRlX1r.png

top_spec.png

noa_3d.jpg

http://store.nisamerica.com/nights-of-azure-limited-edition
Limited Edition Includes:
• Nights of Azure for PS4™
• Full color, 40 page hardcover art book
• 36-Track original soundtrack with jewel case
• Cloth poster (57"x20")
• 5 Mini art prints (5"x7")
• Collector's box (Includes all the above)

Soundtrack:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0XpMwX8PT0

mmF707D.png

This is a love story of two star-crossed women who lived, fought, and were ultimately lost to the annals of history. Under the direction of producer Keisuke Kikuchi (Fatal Frame, Deception IV), Nights of Azure marks a new, darker direction for GUST while maintaining many of the gameplay elements adored by dedicated fans of the studio. Unlike previous GUST titles, however, the protagonist has a very active role in the game’s real-time battle system.

Few leave their homes after nightfall in the kingdom of Ruswal, let alone have the strength and skill to take on the powerful azure-blooded demons that plague the uncharted island. One of the best among these brave few is Arnice, a beautiful knight of great skill and power sworn to protect humanity and defend the priestess Lilysse—her best friend. As she grows in power, Arnice can summon creatures known as Servan to assist her in battle as well as transform into a demon herself in order to carry out her mission.

Despite her strength, Arnice soon discovers that the solution to the island’s problems might not be as simple as defeating enemies in battle. Nights of Azure is a tragic tale of two friends faced with impossible decisions that will test their loyalty to their quest and to each other.

YEPx5N9.png

top_chara_name01.png

top_special01_iconzoom01.jpg

A girl who possesses the power to defeat fiends.
A holy knight in service to the Curia.
After coming in contact with the Nightlord's blood, she became a half-demon.
Her half-demon nature has given her blood-drinking powers, and she fights with a demon sword composed of her own blood.
Though she seems like a calm, collected woman at first glance, she harbors a fierce passion deep within her.
top_chara_name02.png

top_special01_iconzoom02.jpg

A tender-hearted, compassionate woman chosen to become the new Saint.
The Saint who is destined to give her life to seal what remains of the Nightlord.
She has been close friends with Arnice since boarding school.
While she understands the Curia's expectations of her to a certain extent, she has already accepted her destiny as a Saint. Her nickname is Lily.

ru98zOm.png

• Defeat enemies by switching between various weapons obtained in game through leveling up.
  • The different types are as follows Sword / Gun / Battle Hammer / Daggers / Long Sword.
Nights-of-Azure_2015_12-10-15_002.jpg
Nights-of-Azure_2015_12-10-15_003.jpg
Nights-of-Azure_2015_12-10-15_004.jpg
Nights-of-Azure_2015_12-10-15_005.jpg

• Make contracts with "Subordinate Demons" to help you in battle. Also able to give them commands during combat. These Demons will also grow in levels as they fight along side the player learning new abilities as they get stronger. Contracts are made by transforming items into Subordinate Demons.
  • These Servans have several functions, as some of them can be called as healers, attackers, defenders, tricksters, followers, or mages and they have quite lively characters. Arnice can upgrade and equip them when she is at the hotel base, and they all gain experience from battle.
  • Putting together a nicely functioning team of up to four Servans before starting a mission helps Arnice balance her team according to the requirements of each task. Furthermore, as the Servans have personalities of their own, it’s always entertaining to see how they will react when teamed up with others.

Nights-of-Azure_2016_02-26-16_002.jpg
Nights-of-Azure_2016_02-26-16_004.jpg
Nights-of-Azure_2016_02-26-16_006.jpg

Demon Forms

• Overall Arnice can take five different demon forms, depending on the sum of the transformation factor of the Servans that accompany her:
  • Demon Form – The basic form, which allows Arnice the power to manipulate fire.
  • Rabbit Form – A form that gives Arnice unnatural speed.
  • Phantom Form – A form that transforms Arnice into a blue sharpshooter, allowing her to strike from a distance.
  • Armor Form – A stronger, well balanced form that increases both the offensive and defensive attributes of the protagonist.
  • Nightmare Form – An overpowering demonic creature form.
top_system02_zoom03a.jpg
top_system02_zoom08.jpg
top_system02_img11.jpg
top_system02_zoom13.jpg

top_system02_zoom15.jpg

*Credits to Gematsu

4aPyjDe.png

Announcement Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6mHNCzrxJ0
Launch Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMUPw2EznYc
Transformation Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXtEBYCiERc
Arena Gameplay Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpRXDRGx0ok
30 Second Ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUePYfemGhM

bJr2rOi.png

#1:

Q:What type of game is this?

A: Action RPG. Watch the videos in the Media section, should give you a fairly good idea of what to generally expect gameplay wise.
BeneficialRelievedGhostshrimp.gif

#2:

Q:Is this dubbed in english?

A: No, according to a post from Koei Tecmo Europe's Twitter account.
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/664113895087448064

#3:

Q: Do you have a list of trophies for the game?

A: Yes right here, click on this text to go to the HP with the trophies list.

#5:
Q: Are there any official review scores out?

A: The Famitsu Scores are as follows below.
Yoru no Nai Kuni (PS4) – 9/8/8/7 [32/40]
Yoru no Nai Kuni (PS3) – 9/8/8/7 [32/40]
Yoru no Nai Kuni (PSV) – 9/8/8/7 [32/40]
*Credits to Gematsu
Digitally Downloaded 5/5
Hardcoregamer 4/5
Godisageek 7/10
PlaystationLifestyle 8/10

NZTHwBF.png

Amazon
GameStop
BestBuy
Playstation Store

jsk7wtR.png

• Big thanks to Vazra for producing the beautiful OT image
  • SUPER THANKS TO Parakeetman for allowing me to use all their import OT graphics, information, pretty much everything, I did like no work whatsoever LOL. You're awesome and amazing for this!

M6Df49i.jpg

The limited edition and digital edition for the first couple weeks also comes with the DLC servant Gust and a Custom Theme for your PS4

Official Website for North America http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/nightsofazure/
Official Website for Europe http://www.koeitecmoeurope.com/nightsofazure/

Zhao_Yun

Yay, finally a OT for this game. Thx for organizing it SarusGray! :D
As I've already written in other threads I can't play this at launch but I am really looking forward to this. Will be my first Gust game in a long time ;)

SarusGray

Huh, this looks interesting. :O

I'm here to (hopefully) answer any questions you may have!

Yay, finally a OT for this game. Thx for organizing it SarusGray! :D
As I've already written in other threads I can't play this at launch but I am really looking forward to this. Will be my first Gust game in a long time ;)

Thank Parakeetman and Vazra n_n! I pretty much just copied everything Parakeetman did on their OT thread (which was beautiful) and Vazra provided the awesome OT image.

I love this game so far and will post more impressions later. This is definitely a unique game with a premise not seen often in video games that I hope Gust keeps exploring. Loving the soundtrack and art by the way.

Dio

Banned
I've noticed that a couple of the reviews are mentioning that the music in-game reminds them of Ys.

This is because, well, it should! Toshinori Hiramatsu, who works for Falcom on their more recent soundtracks and made fan arrangements on his site under SWORD OF JUSTICE before then, appears on this soundtrack.

http://vgmdb.net/artist/471

Example track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XP7CValvFg

That's about as Ys as you can get with Hiramatsu's guitar there. Very Falcom.

Kalentan

So wait if I understand, is the combat kind of like Lost Kingdoms 2 or that one fablish exclusive game on PS3 a long way back where you used monsters to attack?

Any English reviews/impressions? Ys comparisons certainly are a good thing.

It's getting 6s and 7s and a smattering of lower scores which for a jRPG in 2016 means it's probably pretty good. Always take the average and a grain of salt when looking at budget/anime RPGs.

Zhao_Yun

I've noticed that a couple of the reviews are mentioning that the music in-game reminds them of Ys.

This is because, well, it should! Toshinori Hiramatsu, who works for Falcom on their more recent soundtracks and made fan arrangements on his site under SWORD OF JUSTICE before then, appears on this soundtrack.

http://vgmdb.net/artist/471

Example track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XP7CValvFg

That's about as Ys as you can get with Hiramatsu's guitar there. Very Falcom.

The soundtrack is really great. Was one of my favorites of last year.

I don't trust western reviewers to review JRPGs anymore. They all seem to hate the genre.

I'm not going to pretend the genre doesn't have problems, some of them large and institutional, but I often find them more harshly graded on these flaws then those that also infect other genres of games. Things that a reviewer shrugs off in an FPS or multiplayer shooter, a strategy game or third person action game, instead become enormous subjects of contention in an anime game review.

Then again, I also don't think a game that gets 5s or 6s is garbage that should never be played and might have some enjoyable parts to it.

SheHateMe

My copy is at home waiting for me.

I'm excited to delve into this, even though my RPG backlog is backed up like CRAZY.

From what I read however, it looks like it'll be a good run, so I'm ready to give it a shot.

Also, that DLC theme looks horrible. Just saying.

SarusGray

My copy is at home waiting for me.

I'm excited to delve into this, even though my RPG backlog is backed up like CRAZY.

From what I read however, it looks like it'll be a good run, so I'm ready to give it a shot.

Also, that DLC theme looks horrible. Just saying.

I preordered at NISA store the limited edition so I received the Gust Theme, but I'm wondering how the best buy custom themes look. Anyone happen to have some images of that?

Volcynika

Got my copy yesterday (urrrrley, thanks NISA) and played an hour or so. Seems neat so far (beat the first boss), but it's still throwing mechanics/systems at me, so need to put a bit more time in.

I'm not going to pretend the genre doesn't have problems, some of them large and institutional, but I often find them more harshly graded on these flaws then those that also infect other genres of games. Things that a reviewer shrugs off in an FPS or multiplayer shooter, a strategy game or third person action game, instead become enormous subjects of contention in an anime game review.

Then again, I also don't think a game that gets 5s or 6s is garbage that should never be played and might have some enjoyable parts to it.

Japanese games, certainly the mid-tier and below ones, tend to have a lot of obvious jank in their construction, while Western console games generally have more polish in their presentation. So it makes sense why people used to the latter would not look kindly upon the former.

OniBaka

I don't really trust most reviews in general and decide if I want to get the game by judging on gameplay vids and this looks great.

Eusis

It's getting 6s and 7s and a smattering of lower scores which for a jRPG in 2016 means it's probably pretty good. Always take the average and a grain of salt when looking at budget/anime RPGs.
I dunno about that (the best seem to reliably get 8s), but I do get a PS2 action game vibe from it and that'll strike a nostalgic chord.

Japanese games, certainly the mid-tier and below ones, tend to have a lot of obvious jank in their construction, while Western console games generally have more polish in their presentation. So it makes sense why people used to the latter would not look kindly upon the former.

I mean, yeah, that's very true too. Western audiences often focus on jank or lack of polish to a larger degree as a negative to the overall experience.

SheHateMe

I mean, yeah, that's very true too. Western audiences often focus on jank or lack of polish to a larger degree as a negative to the overall experience.

Honestly, I like jank.

I was one of the VERY FEW that enjoyed Drakengard 3, despite the jank. (And BOY was there jank.)

So, if I read a review and it says that it's got jank, my mind replaces jank as charisma and I have to at least try it out.

Lockon

Can't play the game right now because I just started Yakuza 5 last week, then I have Trails of Cold Steel before I can start this game.

Good job on the OT BTW

Wagram

Honestly, I like jank.

I was one of the VERY FEW that enjoyed Drakengard 3, despite the jank. (And BOY was there jank.)

So, if I read a review and it says that it's got jank, my mind replaces jank as charisma and I have to at least try it out.

Drakengard 3 was one of the best of that year I thought. Everything doesn't need to be perfect or shit. I like the middle. It's nice here.

I was supposed to get this today, but the UPS truck it was on apparently broke down so I should have it tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Drakengard 3 could have overcome the jank, but the combination of being a technical disaster, too much recycled content, and the disappointing writing was just too much.

Hopefully this game is much better. It's not a high bar.

Drakengard 3 was one of the best of that year I thought. Everything doesn't need to be perfect or shit. I like the middle. It's nice here.

pfft, the middle is shit

I got this in my gamefly Q, but I got too many other dang RPGs to play right now

I haven't even opened witch and the hundred knights (from gamefly)

It can get backlogged though, this looks like a more interesting game anyway.

Might send it back and hope for the best (or just buy it from them and let them send me nights)

Kalentan

I am debating between this and Senran Kagura, though I know that some have said that Estival Versus apparently won't make much sense unless you play both previous games which sort of makes me worried that in that games case, it would hamper my enjoyment. So this is a bit more interesting since I assume this is a standalone game.

I really love these games coming out with really nice HD anime art styles.

SephLuis

I am debating between this and Senran Kagura, though I know that some have said that Estival Versus apparently won't make much sense unless you play both previous games which sort of makes me worried that in that games case, it would hamper my enjoyment. So this is a bit more interesting since I assume this is a standalone game.

I really love these games coming out with really nice HD anime art styles.

I made a review for Estival Versus and you need to play, at least, Shinovi Versus for the story. SK1 I haven't played either, but SV tells you what happened.

If you just want for Life and Hometown, Estival Versus will fill your needs

Getting in touch with NISA phone support is always such a fucking hassle.
Need to change the card I used to preorder with since I lost it.

Shin-chan

I went into Drakengard 3 with absolutely rock bottom expectations given the reviews and performance issues but was surprised to actually enjoy it. Hopefully this will be better though, because there's some truly awful shit in Drakengard.

Patiently awaiting this Thursday for when I expect my order to arrive a day early. It's also the last day of shit my job will fling at me for a while so it'll be a nice reward.

Top Bottom