• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nights of Azure |OT| Star Crossed (Lesbian) Lovers

Intel_89

It's a game that can take you 20h if you rush it ( and you'll most likely get a sad ending ) to 50h (if you take your time and don't dislike dongeon rpg that you explore times and times again to complete objectives.)

It's only text heavy if you want to know the world and the characters . it does have lot of text but you're not forced to read it . It is recommanded to read it to understand the endings properly.

I never got bothered by the timer , not even once ... ok maybe once in the final level but even then it was doable.. there is an upgrade to give you more time on the timer to have more leeway.

Thanks for your help, I've decided to go for it and placed my order. I'll post some impressions after I start playing it.

On chapter 3, so far it's not a bad game, but not particularly good either.

Level design is by far my biggest issue, it's just... flat. You go through various levels, but at the end of the day it feels like the same area re-skinned. No platforming, traps barely do anything, etc.

Anyway, does anyone know what exactly triggers the next daytime? I know you need to stay out x minutes, but is time cumulative? (Example: I exit 1 minute, come back, go out for 4, then come back. Is the game timer for that night 5 or 4 minutes?)

I think you need to be out for about 5 minutes. I don't think it's cumulative although I haven't actually tested it myself so I can't say for sure.

On chapter 3, so far it's not a bad game, but not particularly good either.

Level design is by far my biggest issue, it's just... flat. You go through various levels, but at the end of the day it feels like the same area re-skinned. No platforming, traps barely do anything, etc.

Anyway, does anyone know what exactly triggers the next daytime? I know you need to stay out x minutes, but is time cumulative? (Example: I exit 1 minute, come back, go out for 4, then come back. Is the game timer for that night 5 or 4 minutes?)

I think you need to be out for about 5 minutes. I don't think it's cumulative although I haven't actually tested it myself so I can't say for sure.

It's between 3 and 4 minutes for a night->day transition. It's good to know this since it will let you go through the daytime activities list faster, especially if you're trying to farm points for new upgrades.

It's also not cumulative. When you leave the Hotel it's a new Search cycle, but you have to have been out 3 or 4 minutes to get credit for the Daytime activities. Usually I use these times to complete the night search quests that Simon gives you. I haven't tested yet if this affects the number of days to get the merchant to return. Otherwise it would be easy to grind those out by just picking an area then immediately hitting Options and returning to the Hotel.

Taruranto

Finished, finally.

Overall not a bad game, not a particular good either. Dungeon design was kinda flat, servants were cute but the system felt too rigid to experiment around, battle system kinda repetitive.... oh, I liked the OST, very atmospheric. I felt most of the games problems would be fixed with some vertical level design and platforming sequences.

Story was kinda bad, one-dimensional supporting cast (the final boss was just... ugh), lore felt kinda incomplete and the love story was everyone just repeating clichè lines.

Finished, finally.

Overall not a bad game, not a particular good either. Dungeon design was kinda flat, servants were cute but the system felt too rigid to experiment around, battle system kinda repetitive.... oh, I liked the OST, very atmospheric. I felt most of the games problems would be fixed with some vertical level design and platforming sequences.

Story was kinda bad, one-dimensional supporting cast (the final boss was just... ugh), lore felt kinda incomplete and the love story was everyone just repeating clichè lines.

I feel like, while the battle system isn't bad, it could use either jumping or actual dash canceling and making the game a little harder. Either one of those (or both?) would have given it more depth. As it is the special attack is just there to knock enemies don and suck up SP. Also, does the crossbow.gun weapon actually have a use other than for setting up really large combo chains?

Finished, finally.

Did you finish it , just once ? what was your final boss ?

I feel that this game is much better during the final boss + 2 optionnal bosses ( not to mention the extra HARD dongeon ) .. it actually make you use the system much better to survive. ( it was actually at that point that i started using my deck)
Aside from that it's actually too easy to overpower your foes

I do agree that the supporting cast could have been done better , but the main problem i have with them is probably the way the game unlock dialog and chunk of stories with them .. it's not consistent and something i can come across like " well i don't care ".
I think that the story is great , but badly presented to the player , once i got everything and unlocked everything i trully think the lore was great ..but damn it is not used to it's full potential.

I feel like, while the battle system isn't bad, it could use either jumping or actual dash canceling and making the game a little harder. Either one of those (or both?) would have given it more depth. As it is the special attack is just there to knock enemies don and suck up SP. Also, does the crossbow.gun weapon actually have a use other than for setting up really large combo chains?

Blowing bombs from a long range ? Certain stage are way to crazy with their bomb placement , the long range bow did the trick to clear them

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Beat this the other day true ending and all, really wish it was harder but I enjoyed the minion and weapon swapping aspect. The forms were worthless outside of demon and nightmare which was a let down

Beat this the other day true ending and all, really wish it was harder but I enjoyed the minion and weapon swapping aspect. The forms were worthless outside of demon and nightmare which was a let down

I thought the weapon swapping and minions were cool too. Although when you get
Demon Sword Jorth
you don't really need to switch anymore since it beats everything in terms of DPS.

I am disappointed that Arnice is not the protagonist of the second game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Beating the last boss in under 3 seconds was hilarious though, boomerang and nightmare form at point blank is hilariously broken.

Looking forward to the sequel even if the main character got changed. Game play is the most important thing :p

Beating the last boss in under 3 seconds was hilarious though, boomerang and nightmare form at point blank is hilariously broken.

Looking forward to the sequel even if the main character got changed. Game play is the most important thing :p

I just expected/wanted more Arnice, and I don't really like the new main character that much.

The new gameplay additions do have me intrigued though. Since it looks like you can now take human characters with you into battle and that apparently affects some other stuff.

Arnice is in the second game though so that's something at least. And her appearance is different presumably due to the Nightlord's power. I don't think they elaborated on what role she will play in the game though (whether ally or enemy).

Pejo

So wow, I got totally sucked into this game over the weekend, when I was going through a bunch of games that I bought and never opened. I had no idea this one would be the one to hook me. I really like the main gameplay loop and combat. "Beat" the game last night, but it looks like there's more content afterwards, so I'm excited to try that out tonight. I accidentally spoiled the last demon form for myself playing around in the Extra menu after the credits rolled. Why wouldn't they ??? that out.

Anyways, this game reminds me so much of those hidden gems on the PS2. Not everything was perfect, but a lot of the game was really interesting and good. Still wish there was a dedicated jump button though.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I accidentally used a super move when trying to talk to someone or activate an event.

How much is left in the story after you beat
The Pope (can't remember name)
? Like in hours, I guess.

So wow, I got totally sucked into this game over the weekend, when I was going through a bunch of games that I bought and never opened. I had no idea this one would be the one to hook me. I really like the main gameplay loop and combat. "Beat" the game last night, but it looks like there's more content afterwards, so I'm excited to try that out tonight. I accidentally spoiled the last demon form for myself playing around in the Extra menu after the credits rolled. Why wouldn't they ??? that out.

Anyways, this game reminds me so much of those hidden gems on the PS2. Not everything was perfect, but a lot of the game was really interesting and good. Still wish there was a dedicated jump button though.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I accidentally used a super move when trying to talk to someone or activate an event.

How much is left in the story after you beat
The Pope (can't remember name)
? Like in hours, I guess.

Not to tell you what to do but did you know a PC port is coming out early next month, along with one of the Atelier games?

SarusGray

Nights of Azure Steam Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFffs4KNsKU

I enjoyed the game. It had many flaws but what Gust tried doing is commendable. Hoping they learn from their mistakes and really make Nights of Azure 2 amazing. The soundtrack is pretty flawless. Combat needs more work and story needs more time. Love the relationship aspect though.

If you didn't have a PS4, definitely try this game out when it comes to PC!

Top Bottom