• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTSJOURNEY OF DREAMS (Wii) - [New screens pg 14]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cygnus X-1

Smiles and Cries said:
so we finally have screens even from IGN but I feel sad now
why? why? why can't devs do the Wii some justice?

damn you Nintendo

I really don't know. Nintendo, with Super Mario Galaxy, showed us some solid graphics. Third Parties didn't until now.

M3d10n

Art is good, but they need to work on their graphics a bit more.

I know full well the original NiGHTs hardly looked good on screenshots (you could never understand what was going on without seeing it in motion), but boy, this one does look Dreamcast-ish, specially after seeing the Dewi screens.

I'm not asking for HD, but Sega could at least try to make it look like a high-end GC game:

- Level textures could be higher res, the RAM is there Sega, use it!
- Add some lighting to the Nights' model, it looks too flat. Some rim lighting would fit well with the theme.
- Improve the lighting on the levels. It needs more contrast in some areas, and it's only a matter of tweaking parameters, no need to code anything new.
- The GC was the master of distortion effects. What about using some, heh? The waterfalls, the bubbles, etc. It's cheap and effective.
- Some subtle fog and depth of field would do wonders.

I have the feeling that these might be early builds. I also have a good feeling that more budget is being pumped into this project now than what Sega originally planned.

I mean, aren't these the same screens we've seen back in March?

I can't believe how much shit I got for saying the game was ugly when the game was first unveiled. The game looks the same as it did in the original scans but it moved from amazing to shit all of a sudden? Ridiculous.

KingJ2002

this game looks like it's running on a modified phantasy star universe engine... doesnt look that impressive in some of these screens but it could look great in motion. like previously said... high res textures would make the game look better but bloom would actually make the dream world more believeable.

i hope developers down the line start being more clever with their design for the wii... than sticking with a previous gen standard because the chipset is just a souped up GC. you dont need HD to make a good looking game.

Saoh

amazing what a 10min photoshop and proper re-size can do >_>

nights_2.jpg

FU Sega! go to level 2!!!

titiklabingapat said:
I have the feeling that these might be early builds. I also have a good feeling that more budget is being pumped into this project now than what Sega originally planned.

I mean, aren't these the same screens we've seen back in March?

Uh that would be nice... send them a money hat or two Nintendo from all the cash you have been trucking to the Money Bin

thefro

typhonsentra said:
I can't believe how much shit I got for saying the game was ugly when the game was first unveiled. The game looks the same as it did in the original scans but it moved from amazing to shit all of a sudden? Ridiculous.

When you blow up the images to 1.5 times the resolution that the game actually runs in, the shots generally look like crap.

nightsactualresolution4dl2.jpg

nightsactualresolution5gz4.jpg

nightsactualresolution6an3.jpg

This is what you'd actually be playing.

Cygnus X-1

thefro said:
When you blow up the images to 1.5 times the resolution that the game actually runs in, the shots generally look like crap.

nightsactualresolution4dl2.jpg

nightsactualresolution5gz4.jpg

nightsactualresolution6an3.jpg

This is what you'd actually be playing.

Definitely the difference is big as I thought. Good work !!

Koralsky

I’m really hoping for not another Sonic Team garbage. I’ve used keep my original copy of Nights Into Dreams and play it rarely. And what I see here is with the same visual quality of Pinball Nights game in original Sonic Adventure. I’m expecting a lot of more (the game isn’t even beauty). And want ST from 1996… I can dream…

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm not disappointed at all...I guess my Wii expectations are low or something.

I like it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Segata Sanshiro said:
Anyone that is saying it looks like Dreamcast or launch PS2 is overexaggerating. Not that I'm surprised, given who said comments are coming from.

Definitely not a PS2 launch game, but technologically they look on the level of DOA3 or worse, which is Xbox launch.

They look okay ONLY because they have the Nights style out the wazoo and they're graphically very colorful. If it was any other game or like a shooter, people would be crying.

edit: I mean, I love Nights as much as you, and I don't like to spend a lot of my time bashing Wii graphics (I mean, lol, come on), but these are particularly lackluster. :\ The lighting is so flat.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Definitely not a PS2 launch game, but technologically they look on the level of DOA3 or worse, which is Xbox launch.

They look okay ONLY because they have the Nights style out the wazoo and they're graphically very colorful. If it was any other game or like a shooter, people would be crying.

edit: I mean, I love Nights as much as you, and I don't like to spend a lot of my time bashing Wii graphics (I mean, lol, come on), but these are particularly lackluster. :\ The lighting is so flat.

Yeah. I am hoping the art will really push through.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Anyone that is saying it looks like Dreamcast or launch PS2 is overexaggerating. Not that I'm surprised, given who said comments are coming from.
If it's an exaggeration, it really isn't that far off. Image quality is definitely better but textures and geometry? Not in particular.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Segata Sanshiro said:
Do you guys remember how far back the camera pulls when you're playing?

You've played this one? =O

I kid. I wanna see how this one plays. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not like how it was before.

btw, all you jerks mentioning DC made me bring it out from my closet to play some. Thanks. :)

joesmokey

I can accept the Wii's level of graphics to an extent for this game because the art direction will be great.

However jaggies and aliasing so prominent on the main character is just unacceptable :/.

ant1532

Banned
Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
needs a video...people are speculating too much on these screens...=\
yeah, these screens are fake, how dare you judge the graphics on these!

Come on, it might look better in motion but fact is in screens it aint too hot. Well it aint hot. As I said before at least art direction is nice but graphics can be better.

Threi

notag
ant1532 said:
yeah, these screens are fake, how dare you judge the graphics on these!

Come on, it might look better in motion but fact is in screens it aint too hot. Well it aint hot. As I said before at least art direction is nice but graphics can be better.

...i think this is where i take the role of the blind wii fanboy you are putting me in and say "bububu it always looks better in motion stfu fanboy!!!111" :lol

ant1532

Banned
Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
...i think this is where i take the role of the blind wii fanboy you are putting me in and say "bububu it always looks better in motion stfu fanboy!!!111" :lol
your the one who keeps on inferring it lol.

Threi

notag
ant1532 said:
your the one who keeps on inferring it lol.

by saying i would like to see a video? ok there sailor :lol

maybe you should stop trying to associate every word someone types with the type of
"fanboy" they might be.

Hopefully, Sega won't spend much time looking at this thread and spend more time working on the gameplay versus the graphics.

The game can look the same as it currently does for me if it delivers more NiGHTS-tastic gameplay.

ant1532

Banned
Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
by saying i would like to see a video? ok there sailor :lol

maybe you should stop trying to associate every word someone types with the type of
"fanboy" they might be.
You said people are speculating too much on the screens. I don't know about everyone else but to me that infers that your trying to defend it or something. If not, my bad.

But don't call me no sailor junya!

captainboydxr6.jpg

Threi

notag
ant1532 said:
You said people are speculating too much on the screens. I don't know about everyone else but to me that infers that your trying to defend it or something. If not, my bad.

But don't call me no sailor junya!

captainboydxr6.jpg

Fair enough...but can you tell me what is going on in the scene? For all we know it can pretty much be anything...the game could run @ 60fps (which would make a big difference opposed to the screenshots) or it could have framerate problems and be a piece of junk.

All i am trying to say is that maybe we should wait for a video until we start bashing...but then again this is GAF so i guess it doesn't work that way. :p

ant1532

Banned
Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
All i am trying to say is that maybe we should wait for a video until we start bashing...but then again this is GAF so i guess it doesn't work that way. :p
Yeah, I see what you're saying but if you saw a screenshot of Escape from Bug Island you wouldn't say the same would you lol?

Threi

notag
ant1532 said:
Yeah, I see what you're saying but if you saw a screenshot of Escape from Bug Island you wouldn't say the same would you lol?

...but that game looks like ass rubbed in gorilla balls.

i saw what you did there btw :p

ethelred

typhonsentra said:

You got shit for saying the game was ugly when all we had to look at were blurry, poor pictures of a magazine.

Saying it looks bad now? Fine and reasonable. Saying it looked bad then when we could barely even see anything? Talk about jumping the gun. That you turned out to be right doesn't mitigate that your bitching was premature and wasn't really appropriate at that time. The reaction you got was deserved; congratulations, this is one of those times when the broken clock is right.

6.8 said:
I'm extremely disappointed. Not even close to what you see on the other consoles.

Yes, it's very disappointing. There's no reason for the game not to be looking much better than this.

Man, am I glad I don't have expectations on the level of some of you. Even if these *first screenshots* end up being representative of the final game, it still looks okay, and being the game that it is, the art direction is going to count for far more than the technical proficiency.

It doesn't look great, but it's acceptable. You'll forgive me if I feel the comments calling it Dreamcast level are a bit disingenuous - aside from ethelred, every last one of those saying it looks like shit or a DC game are known to be "Wii haters", and thus the comments are immediately suspect as being yet another barrage in the goofy-ass system wars that pervade our hobby.

There's a difference here from the original in one aspect - that game pushed the Saturn, this one wouldn't even be pushing the Gamecube. But otherwise, it feels the same, because I remember hearing from a lot of people who didn't own Saturns and had no plans of buying NiGHTS anyway say how shitty it looked and how they weren't going to buy it.

So whatever, you've gotten your jabs in. I'm quite certain there will be many more to come. The old Sega fans, the real fans of NiGHTS, we don't give a shit. This is a game that we never even dreamed would happen, a sequel to a game from over a decade ago, a sequel that as each year passed, the odds of it ocurring got smaller and smaller. And now we're actually getting it. This could have been a ****ing Game Boy Advance game and we'd still be giddy. Sega could have slapped it on the Virtual Boy and kicked me in the nuts every time I closed a Paraloop, and I'd still be joyous.

Keep on raining and storming gents, you won't be wiping the grin off this old warhorse's face.

Christopher

wow that looks sub Gamecube - it really looks like the backgrounds from Phantasy Star Online mixed with NiGHTs model from Sonic Adventure 2 or something...tsc tsc Sega.

I mean I've seen Sonic 06, and while it might not be the best game ever (at all) it looks pretty damn good, I'd expect more from a franchise revivial like this.

espcially one that Yuji Naka held in such high standards...

Original NiGHTS screenshots look pretty terrible too, but it all looks a lot better when you see it in motion.

Wait until we have a video. Besides, I don't think the screens look very bad...but I'm looking forward to playing it for its gameplay and not to see how totally realistic and bloomlit they can make a game about a flying jester who gets possessed by the spirits of children.

I only ask that the graphics at least look like NiGHTS -- and so far, it looks very serviceable. These screens are missing pians, enemies, and all the other objects that'll really sell JoD's authenticity anyway. We're not getting the full picture yet.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JzeroT1437 said:
Original NiGHTS screenshots look pretty terrible too, but it all looks a lot better when you see it in motion.

Maybe NOW they do. No one is going to convince me that the shots of NiGHTS in 1997/8 didn't blow your mind. Sega pushed that game as impossible to do on a Playstation.

We have a completely different situation here. This game doesn't have the same possibility for technical awe. It just doesn't.

It needs to use its art style and lighting to whatever advantage it can.

I don't think I'm a wii hater or a troll or anything but these are "just" acceptable. I demand so much more for this franchise-- this classic franchise that I still play regularly.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Maybe NOW they do. No one is going to convince me that the shots of NiGHTS in 1997/8 didn't blow your mind. Sega pushed that game as impossible to do on a Playstation.

That's what I meant--it was a totally amazing game back then. It's still a pretty amazing experience nowadays, which says a lot; not too many 32 bit games are still as awesome as this (or as original.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom