• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTSJOURNEY OF DREAMS (Wii) - [New screens pg 14]

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverHeat

« generous god »
titiklabingapat said:
I wish they'd add more bloom. This is one type pf game that excessive bloom can benefit the visuals and overall atmosphere. You are flying in a dream setting after all.

I agree with more bloom, cant wait for this game

Tristam

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think they look alright. I'm not expecting cutting edge graphics as long as the art direction is good.

IIRC, Naka never intended a sequel to have incredible graphics; he just wanted a more intuitive flight experience with the rumored Air NiGHTS. Of course, that's a moot point seeing as Naka isn't working on the project (and to be frank, I'm actually glad he isn't, although I wish Oshima was developing alongside Iizuka). My only hope is that they nail the surreal look of the original. These screenshots boast really saturated, vivid colors (check out those violets!), so I'm not particularly concerned.

Anyways, the bigger issue is how it plays. The best part about the original was simply *moving* around (whether flying, swimming, or sledding). If they can take the Wii Remote and make the experience of flying that much more entertaining, this will truly be a game to remember.

Krowley

Looking much better in these recent shots... Art direction is pretty interesting and the environments are strange but kind of compelling.

On a technical level, it's underachieving a little, but i may change my tune when i see it in motion.

Deku

Banned
Colorful but graphically unimpressive. If its on-rails, there's no reason they can't add more flair to the visuals. Sonic looks better than this.

aoi tsuki

These screenshots boast really saturated, vivid colors (check out those violets!), so I'm not particularly concerned.

Actually, NiGHTS is the most saturated thing in most of the scenes. i would've thought they'd use a little bloom to enhance the dreaminess of the game as another poster mentioned, but also to gloss over the rather bland environments.

nightsbloomsp4.jpg

i toned the highlights in the reds and blues down just a tad, but they're still pretty hot. But this is closer to what i was expecting.

aoi tsuki said:
Actually, NiGHTS is the most saturated thing in most of the scenes. i would've thought they'd use a little bloom to enhance the dreaminess of the game as another poster mentioned, but also to gloss over the rather bland environments.

nightsbloomsp4.jpg

i toned the highlights in the reds and blues down just a tad, but they're still pretty hot. But this is closer to what i was expecting.

well so much for the bullshots but I got to say that looks better

I wonder what the hell is going on with that team? Many upcoming Wii titles look better than this :(

LOCK said:
Maybe its still early in development.

I'm hopeing for better than Sonic visuals.

It comes out this year and the rest of Sega does not seem to care about this game, its not like its gonna get a huge marketing blitz

I wish they would show some gameplay shots.

Unless of course Sonic Team is going with something entirely unlike the first game, which would be rather disappointing... The 2.5D platformer is such a lost art.

Ramenman

0000062352.jpg

I loved this one on the scans, and it doesn't loose anything as a proper screenshot.

The one with the boss in the same universe is great too.

Chao

aoi tsuki said:

Not enough next-gen yet!!

BEFORE
nightsbloomsp4.jpg

AFTER
0000062340copia.jpg

My eyes hurt

Haunted

aoi tsuki said:

nightsbloomsp4.jpg

yeah, that actually works better.

Ramenman said:
That's the screenshot I like most so far.

JDSN

Banned
There's a new(?) preview at CVG, here are the interesting parts:

But enough of the good ol' days. What tricks are in store for our brand spanking new Wiis? For one, WiiConnect24 will be dusted off for a spot of as yet unspecified item exchanging. "Like dreams that universally tie each human being together, I want to somehow be able to share everyone's experiences using the network," says a rather cryptic Iizuka. Based on the original, we believe that this exchanging will involve the A-Life system, a creature-breeding programme contained within the game's levels.

Further to this item exchanging, Iizuka promises two-player action: "I think the Wii is a great family-based game console that is a perfect match for the NiGHTS experience. I want the game to be able to bring the family together both through the story as well as the gameplay.

Two player mode confirmed?

It'll have you booting the game up all year round just to see how the environment has morphed, unless your nearest Forecast Channel city is Bristol, where it's a dog-muck disguising leaf slush nightmare all year round. But let's look beyond all the inventive gizmos and gimmicks.

Saoh

mmmm... it looks good but it could look much MUCH better. it´s a dream world, the colors and lighting could be stronger. i like the ones with the "ball" boss.

maybe it´s still early in dev.

edit: the game will use the forecast channel?? :O :)

f@luS

More than a member.
Kinda pissed.
I really do like my wii , ive 9 games (well, i count wiisport & wiiplay as game) , and like it so far.
But why are they having such a hard time with GFX? this seriously looks like a dreamcast game. No polycount at all, i dont understand wtf is going on :(.
I hope it will be very clean looking at least, my LCD is already not that good with SD games, , i really do hope it wont looks like sonic (really blurry)

I would've like to have seen what they could've done with this game on the next gen systems in HD. It's not like the game needs waggle to work.

At least it will probably sell on the Wii.

Duderz

Banned
I think it looks ok. If they can get this at a solid 30 fps, then I'll be satisfied.

But, really, just getting the game is enough. I never played the first, and GAF seems to love it, so I'm excited.

dammitmattt said:
I would've like to have seen what they could've done with this game on the next gen systems in HD. It's not like the game needs waggle to work.

At least it will probably sell on the Wii.
Well, if this is successful enough, I'm sure we will see NiGHTS games on other platforms. Whether or not Sonic Team is talented/budgeted enough to take advantage of those platforms, that's the real question in my book.

Also, we don't know to what extent the waggle makes or breaks the game. We should see how that goes before saying it doesn't require it in anything other than the strictest sense.

mollipen

Duderz said:
I think it looks ok. If they can get this at a solid 30 fps, then I'll be satisfied.

Looking like this, there's no excuse for the game not being 60fps.

Come on guys... the Wii can do far more than what you're showing here. Put out some effort.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
shidoshi said:
Looking like this, there's no excuse for the game not being 60fps.

Come on guys... the Wii can do far more than what you're showing here. Put out some effort.

Effort = Money! Less effort = saves more money! Right? Right?

Please don't slip in my sarcasm. :)

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I expect this game to good great in motion too. Like the original one.

Need more info. Need more info!

When wil be it released!?

temjin

Banned
the game looks effing beautiful to me.

i can only imagine how great it will look in motion, with Nights gliding thru the air ever so silky like.

awwwwwesome.

It looks like Nights which is about all I can ask for. In motion its probably beautiful. Anyway I can't wait for more info and finally a video.

Saoh

on a second thought... those are not nice at all.

even DC can do that. i really really hope they step it up.

Cygnus X-1

Saoh said:
on a second thought... those are not nice at all.

even DC can do that. i really really hope they step it up.

Well......ehm.......yeah, I think that after all you're right. Textures in particular are N64+ level. In contrast, light effects are not so bad......

I have the impression that the game is "empty".

thefro

More images waaay bigger than the resolution Wii can actually display. :lol

Looks much better resized to an actual aspect ratio that the Wii outputs to your TV.

nightsactualresolutionmb7.jpg

nightsactualresolution2cb1.jpg

nightsactualresolution3uk8.jpg

so we finally have screens even from IGN but I feel sad now
why? why? why can't devs do the Wii some justice?

damn you Nintendo

edit: Thanks thefro :D

Do you guys remember how far back the camera pulls when you're playing? Why on earth would those textures need to be any more complicated than what is there?

It would be nice if the game looked better, but it still looks good. Can we wait to see it in motion before we start calling it "Dreamcast" level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom